Hooker: UT will need to pile on Heaps very fast

Heaps

Heaps

Heaps

Heaps

Editor's note: The original story had two errors that have been fixed. The names of Blake Bell and James Stone were incorrect.

If Tennessee is to find a quick fix to its quarterback recruiting need, Jake Heaps is it.

When Blake Bell from Bishop Carroll in Wichita, Kan., committed to Oklahoma last week, that took one of two pro-style quarterbacks that the Vols had offered a scholarship to off the board.

Heaps, who visited UT in February, is the other. The 6-foot-2, 195-pounder from Skyline High School in Sammamish, Wash., could make the Vols' recruiting much less challenging if he commits soon.

That, however, seems like a tough task for even Tennessee's vaunted recruiters. Heaps can stay closer to home and play for another former Southern California assistant (like UT's Lane Kiffin) with Washington coach Steve Sarkisian.

UT's recruiters want to get to know (inspect) other quarterback prospects before offering any more scholarships. UT has several quarterbacks who are rated a bit below Bell and Heaps. Often that lower rating is because UT's coaches don't have the face-to-face meeting that they hold so dear, especially with quarterbacks.

UT's limited time with prospects of the 2010 class also has the Vols in a wait-and-see mode before they start pushing for early commitments. That will soon change in the May evaluation period. When UT's recruiters hit the road, they will shoot for early commitments.

As far as commitments on the horizon, defensive end Garrison Smith from Douglass High School in Atlanta is well worth watching.

Smart Smith: Not only is UT 2010 commitment Jacques Smith a star player; he's also a standout student.

The defensive end from Ooltewah, who is considered one of the top 100 prospects in the nation, has every intention of enrolling in January at UT.

Smith already has 26 1/2 credits of the 28 necessary to graduate. His main focus will be on passing his core classes this fall to satisfy the NCAA Clearinghouse.

"It will help me a lot," Smith said of enrolling at UT in January. "I want to learn the playbook."

Smith left Friday's practice with a smile.

"Their scheme is really good and they really let their linemen loose," he said.

Smith said he's still trying to recruit James Stone to UT. The offensive lineman from Maplewood High was in Neyland Stadium along with Smith and running back Juwan Thompson from Woodward Academy in College Park, Ga., on Friday.

Thompson has scholarship offers from Duke, Ole Miss and Stanford.

Justin Maclin is another in-state prospect the Vols are zoning in on. The linebacker from Ridgeway reportedly has offers from Southern California and most every school in the SEC. He visited Alabama this week.

Tip of the Visor: Kiffin gave UT's former staff headed by Phillip Fulmer credit for their evaluation of defensive tackle Montori Hughes, the surprise standout of spring practice.

Hughes was largely overlooked by other schools and recruiting services.

"The staff before did a great job evaluating him," Kiffin said. "When I watched the film, I wasn't sure. They had been around him more and did a really good job. He's going to be really valuable."

Hughes latest impressions far exceeded the initial judgments from UT's current coaching staff.

"When we got him, he was so out of shape he couldn't even come close to going through a conditioning drill," Kiffin said. "He almost, borderline, quit. He's just really changed his attitude and gone about it. He's one of those guys that has the look.

"When you see him out there, that's what the real guys look like."

Schedule: After the May evaluation period, UT will host a skill-position and lineman camp on June 1 and 2. Then, the Vols will host its junior camp on June 18-20.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

GahLee writes:

Black Bell? Really?

borovol1956 writes:

First?

teampenny#658108 writes:

Glad to hear why we are slow with early commits Gators have 10 already and eight are 4 stars. You find them Urban we will sign them. Go vols

MrBamSeydu writes:

Isn't it James Stone? Not Marcus Stone??

volhallathunder writes:

Could somebody buy Hooker a damned subscription to rivals and a spell checker. The Vols have also offered Phillip Simms, Jesse Scroggins, both pro style QBs and Christian Green and Jeffrey Godfrey, listed as dual threats.

volhallathunder writes:

I mean really I hope we get Heaps but Hooker is so off base with this comment "If the Vols don't land Heaps, it could be awhile before UT lands its quarterback of the future."They have offered 4 other guys already and there are a ton of combines this summer for the staff to go to so if they dont get Heaps its not like they wont find another QB. And unlike the old staff who tucked tail and ran when a guy commited elsewhere, B L A K E Bell won't be forgotten.

TD_4_UT writes:

I can't even comment to this, he can't spell, his information is'nt correct. Does Hooker really get paid for this or does he just sucup to Adams to place his articles?

gohawks1 writes:

in response to GahLee:

Black Bell? Really?

Must be Blake Bell's twin brother.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Doldrums have set in.

19SEP09 writes:

Blake Bell is ROCK solid to Oklahoma. That is a cherry position for a QB throwing for 4,000 - 5.000 yards a year.

RoadTrip writes:

in response to volhallathunder:

I agree. I wonder if he does this stuff on purpose or has a high school intern write it.

I mean think about it Hook - Kiff and crew just roped in a top ten class and the consensus #1 player in the nation in just a few months on campus. Do you really think he will not solve the QB riddle?! Give me a break...

cdldoc#211897 writes:

So you people are so bored you are turning on Hooker?

Seriouslyorange writes:

Like I said lasr night on another post 'the Hooker should take up the harmonica, then he would only suck half the time'. Can we agree?

volunteer_cowboy writes:

time

jfg1980 writes:

This is why I hate KNS!

teampenny#658108 writes:

Agree sometimes the writers are slow to the story and make mistakes but this is one of the better sites in the SEC. That is why we have so many fans from other schools on our board. Well we have to take the good with the bad. Go Vols

rudy123 writes:

in response to bricker865:

Hughes is from a very small
school in Murfreesboro. He
had academic issues and had
to go elsewhere for a while.

apac writes:

Hate to pile on Hooker but I do agree with the others. This article is for today April 11 and there's an article on Scout about Garrison Smith from April 6 where he says he ain't committing anywhere, anytime soon...he may not even narrow his list down til the fall. Seriously Hook, get a scout or rivals membership or stop claiming to be some insider.

mj54 writes:

Actually Fulmer and staff had to be begged by Smyrna's coach to take a look at Hughes since he coached against him in High School and coached him for the Tennessee All Star game against Kentucky. Up until then nobody knew who he was, even Fulmer and staff. It was only after UT's annual crop of DT recruits fell through that we got Hughes.

smokyredbone writes:

in response to uf2006bcs1:

Go back to sleep Gator boy!

volhallathunder writes:

in response to cdldoc#211897:

So you people are so bored you are turning on Hooker?

Spelling a recruits name right or giving a full picture of recruiting dont seem to be too much to ask.

volhallathunder writes:

in response to teampenny#658108:

The reason most of these Gators are here are to get a rise out of us and the fact that they can't find anything better to do in their existances. Has nothing to do with the quality of this site.

82cat writes:

Hughes is not from a small school in murfreesboro
He is from Siegel hs a 5A school that plays in the toughest region in the state that has produced 3 straight 5a champions and also has a school called Riverdale that has won 5 chamionships.

He has played against great competition in hs

I saw him play several times and I was somone who knew the region well and until Smyrna played Siegel I had never heard of him. When I asked who he was I was told " He is big and looks good but doesn't play hard" Well we played Siegel twice and we could not block him and he ran down our running backs all night. I was very impressed but still I kept hearing how he just "looked good"

I was impressed early on but apparently no one else was

It probably did not help Siegel had bad to slightly average teams while he was there with little playoff experience

MattDillon writes:

A Tennessee fan walks into a bar and spots three men at a table. He approaches the men and asks one if he would like to hear a Florida joke. The man stands up and says " I'm 6'0 220 lbs. and a Florida fan, pointing to his friends he says "He's 6'3 250 and a Florida fan and my other friend is 6'6 280, and he asks the Tennessee fan if he was sure he still wanted to tell his joke.After contemplating a second the Tennessee fan says " ah i guess not , i dont feel like explaining it three times!

Slystone writes:

What happen to the recruitmment of Phil Simms? I thought he was another pro-style QB we are wanting. Also, when I look on rivals.com I don't see Heaps on there. Can anyone else confirm this or perhaps and oversight on me.

Slystone writes:

I thought Heaps would have been on rivals top 100, but I didn't see him nor Montana. Correction on the earlier QB I meant Phillip Sims.

blitzshoot writes:

in response to GahLee:

Black Bell? Really?

He is represented by his mom,
Black Sally.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to Slystone:

a few weeks back I think I saw him ranked somewhere like 139 or in that area.

Dupree69 writes:

Some "hooker" is telling me to get in a pile with guy named heaps. I'm not a smart man, but I'm not comfortable with these instructions.

Merry Halloween to everyone

Dupree69 writes:

iF ANyoneIn HaLLs is Lookin or hep, let meKnow as I need Empoyeement.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to Dupree69:

Merry Halloween to everyone

Listen to your conscience on this one, Dupree ol buddy.

givehim6 writes:

As UT found out this year a verbal commitment does't mean much till you sign the line, did Bell sign with OU?

Voluvr writes:

Bell...there is no such thing as off the table.
Jake Heaps would get out as much or more from UT than UT will get from him. Similar to Peyton Manning.

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

We will get a great qb. Not too worry if we lose Bell or Heaps. Sometimes rivals or scout gets it wrong anyway and they aren't really the best qb's out there to be had.

chad_t31 writes:

Why do we need one? We've got gary coleman and ray stephens coming back in 2010.

DirtyVolsack writes:

in response to Seriouslyorange:

Yessir. But he would still blow the rest of the time.

caliGATOR writes:

Phillip Sims to Alabama
Jake Heaps to ?
Peyton Manning is not walking through that door.
Tee Martin is not walking through that door.