Goins says he's signed with UT

Melvin Goins said he has signed his paperwork to join the Tennessee men’s basketball team and is on course to report for the first term of summer school in June.

“I’m ready to get there and get acclimated to the school and my teammates,’’ said Goins, a 5-foot-11, 195-point guard from Mount San Jacinto Junior College in California. “I want to get into the Tennessee practices and workouts.’’

Goins started at Ball State two seasons ago and made the Mid-American Conference All-Freshman team before transferring to Mt. San Jacinto.

“There were a lot of losses (at Ball State), and I don’t like losing, and I didn’t see the program turning around,’’ Goins said. “It was a tough decision, but I did what I had to do.’’

The 21-year-old Goins earned Foothill Conference Player of the Year honors last season, averaging 17.4 points, five assists and two steals per game.

“I’ve been getting a lot of congratulations and well wishes since I announced I was coming to Tennessee,’’ said Goins, who will play in the Pilot Rocky Top League this summer. “Everyone is happy I’ve landed in a situation like this, and they say the way I play will fit Coach (Bruce) Pearl’s style.’’

Goins said he looks forward to healthy competition at point guard with incumbent Bobby Maze, who was a junior college All-American before transferring to UT last summer.

A former running back, Goins said he also looks forward to football Saturdays at Neyland Stadium.

“My first sport was football, and I’ve heard it’s a big-time environment,’’ Goins said. “I want to go to all the games and be a part of that, too.’’

Goins said his days as a tailback helped prepare him for some of his point guard duties.

“When you’re in the backfield, you see the hole and you have to hit it quick,’’ Goins said. “You’ve got to accelerate. When I see an advantage on my man, or I get him off balance, I still have that acceleration to get past him and get into the lane.’’

Goins is a San Diego native but he played his high school basketball at Christian Life Center, a high school just outside of Houston.

Other schools Goins considered were Kentucky, Cincinnati, Nebraska and Marquette. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jakethevolguy writes:

Welcome to Big Orange County, Melvin!!

tree_em_smokey writes:

2nd-15th. Wow I feel like a real weiner! jok. Im glad Goins decided to come to tn instead of kentucky. I know pearl can coach him up.

RockyTopper writes:

I kind of feel like we're becoming JuCo/Transfer U. Hope he can have a bigger impact than B-unaMAZEd did in his first season. And hope he can hit a better 3-percentage than Chism.

smoovexl1#614870 writes:

WELOME TO TENNESSEE MR. GOINS! Glad to see you aboard. I am sure you will contribute to our great team. In the meantime folks, check this kid out. Could this kid be our next great point guard? Okay, only if Billie Gillespie was our coach. But he does shoot and dribble better than anyone on our team now.(lol)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzCdim...

SeanJean writes:

in response to RockyTopper:

Exactly. Hard for to get very excited at this point.

Will_Bleed_Orange_Till_White writes:

Congrats on making the correct decision on signing with UT. Now make your grades, keep your nose clean, and have fun at the greatest institution in the South.

smoovexl1#614870 writes:

in response to smoovexl1#614870:

By the way, the kid is from Seattle. So we need to hit him now with him being on the West Coast and all(lol).

eduardo writes:

leave your headband at home!!!!!!

JacksonvilleVol writes:

I like knowing we get consistent commitments to UT, but I think the general sentiment is felt. Could we recruit some true freshman talent from High Schools?

Also, how do you all feel if we had to start competing with Calipari on allowing one and done players? Would that ever be acceptable for program success at UT?

newtonrail writes:

in response to JacksonvilleVol:

To state the obvious, Bruce is caught in a numbers crunch with 3 good to great guard commits for 2010. We need help now, but need it short term for scholarship purposes. Don't think you'll see Bruce make a living on JUCO players.

dexmcfarlin#566208 writes:

YES- GLAD TO HAVE YOU MR. GOINS. If the other two can shoot outside and join Hopson, then we just have to worry about the paint.

What do we have to replace/ develop (before the other is gone)for Tyler, Chism, and Williams? We may get so focused on guard play and outside shooting we neglect the paint.

golfballs03 writes:

Bobby Maze was ok this past year, but I think he will be much improved next season. With one year in this system under his belt I think he can really start to lead the team like a point guard should.

I'd say at this point, if Josh Tabb were off the team, we would have heard about it. And I doubt Bruce is already giving up Tyler's scholarship. Which means that Daniel West is the odd man out and most likely not in the equation for 2009-2010

doverton#635371 (Inactive) writes:

What's the deal with Daniel West??

givehim6 writes:

Start now on those 3 pointers, we need all the help we can get.

golfballs03 writes:

According to Katz, Pearl isn't optimistic about Tyler coming back. Right now, Tyler is an early 2nd round pick barring some game-changing workouts. With the weakness of this year's class, a 2nd round pick is most likely not going to get signed. If that's the case, I think he should go to Europe and play for a year at the 3 spot. I don't think another year of grinding it in the paint at Tennessee will help his NBA prospects. That is certainly not what he will be doing in the NBA. Regardless, I would love to see him back for another year.

shoalcreekvol writes:

"I still have that acceleration to get past him and get into the lane."

Don't worry Mel, we'll soon teach you to quit driving the lane and to practice the art of the "kick-out to Chism for the 3-point shot, off the mark."

Welcome aboard man.

mj54 writes:

I don't really care about his 3pt shooting right now. Can he defend the freaking ball screen that every single team ran against us all year long and scored at will?

Alwaysavol writes:

in response to JacksonvilleVol:

Personally, I'd hate to see us go the one-and-done route. Recent history has shown that championships - at least national championships and championships of a decent conference - are won by teams with players that stay for multiple years and have some experience. For example, Florida won two national championships with that sort of nucleus and North Carolina had that sort of team this year.

Ironcity writes:

in response to lawyervol:

If you actually believe this then why even read the article or post to it? Its clear you haven't been paying attention.

CoachFulmer writes:

Daniel West is unproven so why are people worrying about him rather than Josh Tabb? What happened to the kid with defensive skills? Someone update me pretty please!

GO VOLS!

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

The stupidity of Butch,well, is BACK !!!

MrBamSeydu writes:

Soooo does this mean Daniel West won't be wearing orange anytime soon??

cobbwebb writes:

im hearing that dominique ferguson(2010) visited this past weekend, after opening up his(kentucky)recruitment! does anyone know if he was here? this would be a huge get for the vols, pair this kid with j. selby, and you got a nice inside-out game!

CoachFulmer writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

So Butch, whats your opinion of Tennesee's chances on signing the 2nd rated Point Guard or the 7th player overall? You seem like the only sane person on this site and everything. Hooray for Butch!

GO VOLS!

MillisaAnn writes:

Welcome Melvin!!! Go Vols!!!

stillavolsfan27 writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

So if we are so stupid why do you stay on this website getting the hopes of getting tennessee fans mad at you. Can you answer that...

Slystone writes:

The point guard UT needs is Joe Jackson out of Memphis White Station, but he doesn't come out until 2010.

newtonrail writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Duh! To you and Butch, we know that, and I posted something on it 10 hours ago. Name calling and All Caps is ridiculous. Most of us have faith in Bruce. I do take exception to Butch's comment about taking years to fix something messed up. Of course he's partly right, but kicking off Ramar and Duke, and West not originally getting in school really messed up planning in years 4 and 5 coming.

Voluvr writes:

in response to SAVVOL:

Don't you mean, "Firsty First?" lol.

VOLKING writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

Grass is green. The sky is blue. Geno is a cheater. ButchisBack is an idiot. Pat Summit is the all time best women's coach. Bruce Pearl is a godsend to our basketball program. Vol fans have hope for their football team, finally. Just some statements of fact.

wyomingvol writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Thanks Hudro!!!!

The guy without the hat IS Kenny Stabler!!

Laaaaawng liiiiiiiive Keeeeeeeenny!!!

Dupree69 writes:

in response to stillavolsfan27:

To read my post?

Volumni writes:

in response to JacksonvilleVol:

Freshman Talent? Good grief! Hopson-top 5 in the country. Negedu- #44, Woolridge- Top 100. Last Year! They'll be here four years (maybe 3 for Hopson)too. If Maze had a better year, would you still be whining about JUCO's? Are you complaining about the football JUCO's we signed?

SeanJean writes:

Seriously, and once and for all, if you think Tyler Smith is getting drafted, you are snorting coke. That just isn't happening. You must be the same people who think Arian Foster is going to creep into the 2nd round. Wake up.

bmvolfan writes:

How in the world did we not offer this guy?

golfballs03 writes:

in response to SeanJean:

Tyler Smith is an early 2nd round pick. You are clueless if you think he won't get drafted

tennezz writes:

in response to SAVVOL:

33% on 3 pointers!

MidTennVol writes:

Cap at KY is certainly going to make it much harder for BP and staff to get the TOP players. I worry. Can BP pull another rabbit out of his hat and bring in another top-10 class?

This is BP's fourth season and he's certainly brought in some good players, especially considering the state of Tennessee basketball B.B. (Before Bruce). But, overall, those classes need to get better if we are to take it to the next level.

BP has brought in two top-10 recruiting classes as he begins his fourth season at UT.

Last year was good, of course, with Rivals ranking us 7th best. We were 6th best with the 2006 class, thanks to two five-star players who are no longer wearing orange -- Duke Crews and Ramar Smith.

However, we are not in the mix right now (at least publicly) for any of the top 50 players, as far as I can tell. And Cap and KY is very stiff competition for players in the South.

SeanJean writes:

in response to golfballs03:

I honestly don't think he'll get drafted, but that's just me. Once people start looking at his tape and other players declare, he just won't have a spot. I don't think he's an NBA player. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

MidTennVol writes:

in response to brownsvillevol:

Great -- can you post the link to that ranking? I can't seem to find it on rivals.com. Many thanks.

in response to bmvolfan:

How in the world did we not offer this guy?

Gallatin is just outside of Nashville, so maybe Vandy got in on him early and he wants to stay close to home.

Don't know what to expect from Goins but competition is hardly ever a bad thing, and the rest of the guys OUGHT to be hungry after underachieving last year, not so much in terms of the overall record but in classic failures in big games.

ballewville6 writes:

lawyervol you are not a true tennessee fan to say basketball will always suck that is the trouble with some of you so called fans i have watched or listened to on tv and radio since 1975 every game possible too.whether they were ec champ or lost 20 plus games same in football im a true fan fans like lawyervol makes me sick i live in tennessee about 45 miles northeast of knoxville on the border with kentucky alot of people here say they are tennessee football and kentucky basketball fans pulling for winners you all deserve to be kicked in the teeth,ill bleed tennessee orange in all sports till i die. when i played basketball and football my school colers were orange and white with some black trim and our biggest rivals wore blue and white,and i played for former basketball coached by former vol pg rodney woods who dished out alot of assist to ernie and bernie and the great ray mears talked to me and said i was a very talented player and also talked at our sports banquet so all you fans that are not true vol fans just d-e off

Fear_The_Kiffin writes:

No question, once we get this Selby kid in orange its a wrap baby. That is all we been lacking is a superstar point gaurd. #2 point gaurd in the country is not too shabby Pearl, way to go get those recruits! Also, mark my word Scotty Hopson will be a star when its all said and done with. I caught some footage of kenny hall the freshman from ga, coming in this fall at power forward. He seems to be a threat as well, he is 6,9 but is kinda lean and atheletic. Looked pretty versatile with nice handles for a big man. Didn't see his shooting range but he was dunking all over the place. He also kept getting the defensive rebound and pushing it up the court and going straight to the rack for layups. This was an AAU game in atlanta i saw footage of. Seems like we sould be coming together pretty nicely over the next few seasons. Now if we can just sign a good center we would be unstoppable in the next three or four years to come.