Kiffin stays close to offense (in huddle)

It looked a bit odd in such a game-like situation.

There in the offensive backfield for every play was Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin guiding the offense.

"I'm sure me being out there in the huddle helped our offense," Kiffin said following Saturday's Orange and White Game, which the offense won 41-23.

Kiffin stayed on the field for the game because UT's offensive signals have yet to be installed.

Kiffin also called plays, directed receivers to their proper positions and motivated his players - whether he meant to or not.

"He's such a competitor," senior quarterback Jonathan Crompton said. "That's why we love playing for him."

UT's other coaches were forced to the sidelines or press box as the Vols wrapped up their 15th and final spring practice. Not Kiffin. He was in the same spot he's been all spring.

"He's really out there teaching and saying 'Forget about the last play. Focus on the next play,' " Crompton said.

Not Just Hype: UT's most improved players of spring practice lived up to their billing.

Receiver Quintin Hancock, the player chosen on offense, caught eight passes for 96 yards and a touchdown.

"It is always nice to come out and have a good practice, in front of the fans makes it that much better," the senior said.

Defensive end Chris Walker registered a sack and four tackles.

"I wanted to finish the spring off and I think I finished the spring off pretty well," the junior said. "There was a lot of talk about people wanting to see what I can do. I think I showed them a little bit."

Walker, the choice on defense, believes fans want to see much more than a solid spring game.

"They want to see what I can do against the Floridas, the Georgias and the Alabamas," Walker said. "I'm going to be working hard this summer so I can show them."

Weight on Walker: Despite being just 235 pounds, Walker said he's not going to try to gain much weight.

"They want to see just a little bit of weight, not too much," Walker said. "They said they like me where I am now."

Walker will shoot for adding strength, not necessarily weight.

Weight could help Walker defend the run. However, Walker believes he's already got the tools to accomplish that goal.

"My arms are really long so once I get into them (offensive linemen) and escape from them, I can use my long arms to keep them away from me," Walker said.

Highlight Reel: One of the most impressive highlights of the scrimmage came when sophomore quarterback B.J. Coleman overcame pressure to hit Hancock for a touchdown pass on fourth-and-5.

"I saw Quintin in the corner of the endzone," Coleman said recalling the play. "At that time he was covered by the defensive back so I looked back inside."

Coleman then sidestepped defensive end Gerald Williams against the sideline and found Hancock, who showcased some nifty footwork to stay in bounds.

"I saw Gerald coming and I felt like he overran it a little bit so I stayed in bounds and stepped back," Coleman said. "By that time Quintin had gotten himself in a free spot in the endzone. I felt like it was very important to put it where only he could catch the ball."

Coleman did so and Hancock managed to tap both feet in bounds.

"He made a great play keeping his feet in," Coleman said. "It really kept the momentum going on the offensive side."

Hancock credited the play to two drills - a scramble drill and a sideline drill.

"We work on that in practice all the time," Hancock said. "It just paid off in a game."

Warren Report: Former Alcoa High School star Brandon Warren caught four passes for 50 yards and two touchdowns.

"I think it's a pretty powerful story," Kiffin said. "Here is somebody that wasn't doing everything right, wasn't doing things that we felt to be a great player he needed to do, which is off the field by your habits and by the way that you go about who you are and representing us."

Kiffin was referring to mistakes Warren made midway through spring practice, which led to his No. 1 jersey number being taken away.

"Single digits numbers are very powerful here," Kiffin said.

UT also took away tailback Lennon Creer's No. 3 jersey. Creer left the team shortly thereafter.

"One guy responded one way and had a great spring game. The other guy quit," Kiffin said. "I like the story of how Brandon responded."

Visitors: Dozens of former players were in attendance, including former linebacker Al Wilson.

No Rest: UT's players will be free from coaches for only a short time. They'll have a team meeting on Tuesday.

On TV: The Orange and White Game will be televised by SportSouth tonight at 8.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Vol_FAN_atic writes:

Could Fulmer have run around that much!!

bugman (Inactive) writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

thanks for the intellectual insight. i'm sure lane will be calling you up shortly so you can become an assistant coach. moron

txvolsfan writes:

Memo to Gator!!! Better get your Back up QB ready. Mr Walker will kill Teblow.
Can't wait to see Urban cry like the little gurl that he is!!!

rockydog writes:

DCdynasty - What happened? You were posting some decent stuff. Now you've gotten silly again. Got to ask. Just how scared are you becoming about the Vols that you are the first poster on a TN site about them. Seriously man, you need to reevaluate your life if you're a Gators fan and you follow the Vols this closely. Are you jumping at every little sound and always looking behind you? You seem very, very, very, very nervous. I hope you get that help you so obviously need.

pabashia#208095 writes:

I sincerely hope Florida continues to be obsessed with Lane Kiffin and Tennessee. You'll place so much pressure on yourselves while UT will have nothing to lose.

Vol_FAN_atic writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

Something I cant grasp, why did I see so many Gator fans at the Orange and White game today and second, why are you DC, the first to respond on a Volunteers website?

Just wondering....are you a little concerned this year??Are you that insecure to have to bother us??

I never in a million years ever thought to hack around on another's team site...? Go home DC or is it D!c&

wyomingvol writes:

That says ALOT!!

GOVOLS!

(This sponsored by BIGORANGEFANS for Al Wilson LB and Special Teams Coach)

Pullingguard writes:

in response to bugman:

But you have to concur, its surprising that the offensive signals have not been installed during spring training... What do they have in fall, about 3 weeks to get ready for the opening game.

GahLee writes:

Plenty of time to install the signals...our Qb's better step it up...they won't have 5 or 6 seconds to get rid of the ball come fall.

GahLee writes:

in response to gatorz4:

gosh, you sure are a loser...go talk Gator football with the mentally challenged...loser.

orange__hammerhead writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

man - give it up!

you're just firing us up!

if you were able to come up with something truly insulting we could use it as bulletin board material.

oh, wait..... I forgot, no one will ever listen to you, because you have no credibility.

Let me give you some credibility - I hereby pronounce you as smart as Larry the Cable Guy!

VolinCT writes:

Don't worry guys, gatorz4 and DCdynasty will be cryin' like mama's boys once Urban bolts the fetid Swamp for Touchdown Jesus! LOL

CT_VOL writes:

This is for DCdynasty:

Frank

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to gatorz4:

Yea....Well....I bet my daddy can beat up your daddy.

Get a life!

lt4vols writes:

You know, you guys are right.......... This is a spring scrimmage {that drew over 50,000}, and I already see the Gator fans are waiting with baited breath to see and hear of how the Vols look. Not paranoid are we ??????????

yeavols#228407 writes:

Poor gators who think they have to comment on every article, every play, every down, every move Kiffin makes. Seriously, get some therapy. Anyone who spends more time on a VOL board more than a VOL is in need of a serious mental evaluation. I am almost so concerned that I would even pay for it. Let me know how I can help. Seriously.

TotalPackage1 writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

The signals will be plugged in between now and fall practice.

DennisVols writes:

It's funny. UT hires a new young coach and now UF and their mentally challenged fans are obsessed with it. They have to come on here and post basic child like statements doing their best, which isn't really good, trying to make a point out of what they did last year.
Wake up children of the swamp. You have never beaten this team with this coaching staff so you have nothing to brag about. No UF team as ever beaten a team that Lane Kiffin was the head coach of. You predict that you will like you actually know something, which you don't
UF's spring game was a story of scrub offense against a scrub defense because you didn't even have enough healthy 1st teamers to put on the field.
Man if you get hurt by you own team in spring practice how in the world will you ever last through a real game.
Your rings where for last year not this year so who have you beat this season? I'll help you out with that one so you won't have to google it. You have beaten no one.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to lt4vols:

you are absolutely right..there spring game was today also.....and what site do they visit?.....a vols site....instead of a gator site to discuss.....

they rush back to see what WE are saying.....

SCarolinaVols writes:

in response to gatorz4:

Tell your boys were coming and we are bringing Hell with us

JohnsonCity_George writes:

in response to rockydog:

Or, DCdynasty, could it be that you are Dave Hooker? For crying out loud man, get another life. Maybe try feeding John Adams animals or watering his plants while he travels.

AWOLVol writes:

Seems like everybody's paying attention to the Vols again these days. I live in SC and the call-in shows have been flinging threats, boasts, and insults toward Knoxville since Coach Kiffin hit town. Fear makes Chickens do strange things, I guess. Plus we have Gator fans prowling our sites for news. Of course, I guess they always have. They just want to see what a storied tradition looks like from the inside.

Don't get me wrong though, it certainly is great for UF that they've had success over the last two decades. I mean, shoot, they've got a century's lack of tradition to overcome, right? But my hat's off to them for the last 15 years or so...

So Gator Fans, when we talk about having a lot of big name former Vols in for the Spring Game, please understand that a comment like that could include Hall of Fame players from over several decades.

Now we all understand that your biggest pre-Danny players were Stevie and Emmitt. I'm sure they're happy coaching (golfing) in Columbia and talking about the NFL on Sunday TV these days. We don't expect you to understand what it's like having sooooooo much history and tradition to comprehend.

And by the way, Jessie Palmer and Doug Johnson still have nightmares about Al Wilson...

n2thecheckerboards2 writes:

Guys i know its annoying having to see posts from Gator fans. Lets all just quit responding to these morons and they will quit coming on our boards. We should show more class than these fools, lets not give in, because thats exactly what they want.

G8RH8R writes:

On topic, I'd like to point out that Alabubba's coach is in the huddle for all of their spring games so its not like this is a first or something.

Off topic-Gators we will kick ya where the Good Lord split ya!

See you in September

Write it down (Do Gators know how to use a crayon?)

harvtn1#407882 writes:

THIS MESSAGE TO ALL FLORIDA LOSERS WHO TROLL AND POST ON TENNESSEE BOARDS: WE STILL HAVE 6, that 6 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BANNERS HANGING OVER IN NEYLAND STADIUM. WE WERE GOOD AT THIS LONG BEFORE YOU WERE. AND WE WILL BE AGAIN- SOON. END OF STORY JORTS.

Orangeblood13 writes:

I think we looked pretty good, I like the fact he was out there. Seems a better fit than the krap we had last year.

Let's hit the weights, get the rookie studs in there and get fired up

I'm sold

tums writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

You have displayed total ignorance to understanding football in your detailed time of encroaching on this site. This comment however erases any doubt anyone may have ever had that you are a total moron. Have no fear, there will be signals.

VolsR4real writes:

I've been a huge L.Kiffin fan so far, but today he did something really crappy! I was standing above the players exit watching all the kids get autographs. All these kids were waiting and CLK comes out the side entrance waves and gets in this Ford Explorer and leaves! He didn't even bother to sign any autographs. Most of the kids didn't even know he was gone. Coach O came out a few minutes later and signed a lot of autographs. I'm just saying that this was many of the fans first experience with CLK and he lost a lot of respect as far as I'm concerned. The least he could have done was to sign some freakin' autographs! I think he might truly be a pompous punk! But anyways GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!

tums writes:

in response to rockydog:

Exactly my thoughts. He is the first poster on a Tennessee site. He is here daily. I have never seen a Gator site.

VolsR4real writes:

in response to Navalorange:

That what I'm hoping, but really even so he could have taken 5-10 minutes to sign a few autographs. Hamilton walked out just a few minutes before him. Hopefully he had something important to get to.

19SEP09 writes:

It must be past people's bedtimes in UT land, so I'll leave you a little nugget to mull over in the morning.

Your new verbal commit - DT Rosean Broussard.

This kid is something else. If he plays, he's got All-SEC potential. Weighs 290, run 5.0 40 and a body like Jeff Luc.

So how did this kid fall below the radar so long? And how the heck did you get an athlete like this out of Louisiana? And why the heck didn't LSU offer him even though the kid really wanted that LSU offer? Three reasons.

1) GRADES.
2) GRADES.
3) GRADES.

LSU is taking a go slow approach with academic problem cases. They want to make sure that kids are going to qualify before they tie up a scholarship that could be used for another player.

So to get this guy in uniform, he'll have to get his grades together and if he does, you'll have to beat back the inevitable LSU recruiting blitz. You know Les is gonna sit him down and tell him the food in Knoxville ain't no match for the food in Baton Rouge (he's absolutely right!). So if you want to keep him, make sure Orgeron guarantees him some good cajun cooking. Ed knows all about that.

VolsR4real writes:

in response to Navalorange:

This pic makes me feel better. Guess I didn't think about all the autographs he probably signed at Fan's day on Haslam Field.

AppStVol writes:

in response to VolsR4real:

I don't say much on here but I'm glad Phil had his day he deserves all that comes for him. He made a big play for a national title. If Lane can get half of what Phil got we will be in good hands. Thank you Mr. Fulmer you made my UT days special.

MadMax writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

The Gators seem extremely obsessed with Tennessee and Lane Kiffin for a team they act like having no chance in the swamp.

Will_Bleed_Orange_Till_White writes:

A. Thanks Phil for all the good times. I love you man!

B. CLK: If you don't think he is dedicated to this team/fanbase you eat gator shite!

C. If I'm off topic for saying something to you gator fans that is defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of you's mf'n privacy, then F U and go find your own F'n board.

God I wish I had the necissary lack of wits to dedicate so much time to trying to rile up a bunch of rival fans. I spend as much time as I can trying to learn as much information as I can on what is going on in MY football practiceses, and all I see is a bunch of douche bags filling up my spots on the information boards.

Gator Fans: Go find something productive to do, like catching tomorrows slugs for your mommas whart treatments, or trying to firgure out how to keep your recruits from leaving the dirtiest state in the south(always questionable), because the grass just turned a little more "Orange" on the other side of that "White" picked fence.

UT Fans sorry for the length, I am just fed up with this BS.

GBFO NATION WIDE
BLEEDIN

G8RH8R writes:

in response to Will_Bleed_Orange_Till_White:

A. Thanks Phil for all the good times. I love you man!

UT Fans sorry for the length, I am just fed up with this BS.

GBFO NATION WIDE
BLEEDIN

AMEN!!
I guess there aren't any Flar-duh fans or grads smart enough to start their own site. And if by some remote chance there are, they can't because they are too busy being douchey on rival team's sites!

G8RH8R writes:

in response to rockybottomtenn:

It must've taken DAYS for you to come up with that. Now here's one for you and all your douchey Gator friends:

G.ators
A.re
T.oo
O.bsessed with
R.ival's
S.ites

S.orry
U.rban
C.rushed by
K.iffin

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to rabidvolfan:

Why would you say that. It would be nice if we all learned from our mistakes. Being the most pumped fans in the nation does not equal wins. LK has never won a game at UT. Time will tell how many he wins an he will not win any with his mouth. Go Vols

GaytorHater writes:

in response to rockybottomtenn:

londonvol writes:

I think he said the signals have not been installed, Coach Kiffin did not state that the team had not worked on them, big difference.

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

in response to harvtn1#407882:

Thanks for reminding VOL nation about the championships. Hopefully CLK can bring a championship football team to Knoxville soon. Just for the record, we are 19-19 against Florida. Its all tied up time to reverse the trend over the last 20 years.

Vol4life77 writes:

in response to VolsR4real:

Dude sounds like you got ur panties in a wod..he signed thousands of autographs at fans day for a few hours. Not his fault they didnt get a autograph there and I'm sure he had a very long day. I'm sure after you work all day your fired up to go do some more work..get a life and quit looking for excuses to hate on the man..he is human 2 incase you forgot!

rocky_topper writes:

guys/gals, if we ALL would seriously stop responding to dcdynasty, gatorz, butch, richrollins, (remember each have several names on here but probably are the same of 2-3 people) ..... they would stop. no matter how hard it is to not repond to them....just stop doing it. this is all they are trying to do, ruin our forums! ignore them! also, go to contacts at the top of the page and hound the heck out of KNS to get us an ignore button on here where we can ignore people! i have done this....

smokyredbone writes:

in response to rockybottomtenn:

C.L.K. (MERCEDES)
C.U.M. (DUCK BUTTER)

You losers spend your Friday and Saturday nights on here getting abused by Vol fans. Its great not to be a Gator fan,but its grand to have a life that doesn't include spending my weekend on Gator sites asking for abuse! GET A BOYFREIND! Who did Tebow kiss yesterday,I saw he held Brantley's hand and ran him around the field,was that his way of coming out of the closet? Kiffins coming and thats bad for the turds!!!

PaulTheVol writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

OK guys, here is how it works...the more you trash Kiffin the more we like him.

However, this comment is exempted from the above due to the sheer stupidity of it. In this case, we just read it and laugh.

smokyredbone writes:

in response to VolsR4real:

Look dud,I mean dude! That is what fan day is for "before the game"! He has been accessable to the students on campus and spent two hours signing before the game. He has a new baby and a hot wife,neither of which he has seem much of lately. Take a pill! Tell the truth it was you wanting his autograph!

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

He was a brave VOL. That takes some gumption to go a spring game donning a rivals colors.

Madkels writes:

For those of us in the Atlanta area, SportSouth will be re-airing the game Sunday evening at 8pm, channel 53 on Comcast.

volfan2002 writes:

I wish Urban Meyer would quit using all these different handles to post on this board. I guess he uh they are confident that they have us so out talented and also a home game that they will win easily. That may be so, but were on our way back and we will get there. It is gonna feel really good to pound the Gators and watch Urban disappear from this board and more than likely from Florida also.

rocky_topper writes:

guys/gals, if we ALL would seriously stop responding to dcdynasty, gatorz, butch, richrollins, (remember each have several names on here but probably are the same of 2-3 people) ..... they would stop. no matter how hard it is to not repond to them as you ARE ONLY FEEDING THEIR EGOS WHEN YOU RESPOND....just stop doing it. this is all they are trying to do, ruin our forums! ignore them! also, go to contacts at the top of the page and hound the heck out of KNS to get us an ignore button on here where we can ignore people! i have done this....