Coleman is leaving Vols

University of Tennessee sophomore quarterback B.J. Coleman has informed the Times Free Press that he is leaving the program.

Frustrated by what he believes is a lack of opportunity to win the starting job, Coleman is not sure what his future plans will include.

“It’s the best move for me,” Coleman said. “What changed my mind is, after this spring, I don’t see myself getting a fair shake. Based on conversations with coaches and things that happened this spring, I feel the staff has goals that do not include me.

“I didn’t just quit. I didn’t just walk out. But I’m going to be taking a huge risk of losing another year of eligibility if I stay. I just want to play ball.”

Continue reading at Chattanooga Times Free Press..

JtDL writes:

Well, at least that gets rid of the controversy.

VolPride_13 writes:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
But, good luck to ya BJ. You will be missed.
What is with the players leaving or getting kicked of the team all of a sudden?

BigOrangeJeff writes:

So much for the "Mark it down" guy.

thevoice writes:

Truly shocking! Guess we know who the starter is.

OrangeRush writes:

Good luck to BJ, but I'm sorta digging the crispness with which the coaching staff is making decisions about who is and who isn't going to be playing.

jdcvols#230433 writes:

I didn't quit, I just didn't walk out??? then what did you do besides QUIT and WALK OUT?? Can't take the competition? None of the three QB's are the future including Stevens. Everybody know that....

dexmcfarlin#566208 writes:

I think he was the best QB we had, albeit he was still developing. I don't care what Crompton does in practice, his problems are mental and in game time. Stephens and Coleman should have been in the lead and Coleman will be missed.

NeylandWest writes:

Wow. I'm not really sure what to think about this. Is this another Brandon Stewart/Peyton sort of thing? Or did we just really miss out on a great QB by losing Coleman?

thevoice writes:

Signing the recent baseball player/QB didn't help things either.

TurnUpTheVOLtage writes:

Wow. Didn't see that one coming

jdcvols#230433 writes:

1standgoal, we will if they can really play. I like the approach of taking only players that WILL or CAN play.

golfballs03 writes:

Quitter

ONUV writes:

"BJ reminds me of Peyton Manning"

hahahahhahhaha

HonoluluVol writes:

JC is a freakin SAD SACK!!!!! He should be the one leaving. 5 yrs and STILL can't get it right. He should change his name to Jonathan "Can't Get Right" Crompton. Man, I'm pissed. God I pray Stephens heals right, cause we gonna need him. I guess CLK hasn't watched any film of last years games with "Can't Get Right" behind center!!!! Gotta be kiddin me.

supersteve17 writes:

Wow! What a day!

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

We're going to regret not taking T. Boyd when we had the chance.

newtothis writes:

WOW, So if Nick S or the new walk on don't do something really good then JC is going to be at the helm again. OMG - BJ looked so much better than him in the O&W game.

99gator writes:

speaking of attrition being normal and the fact that there will be more.

don't sweat it.

i guess those that had their money on BJ are out. those with their money on stephens or crompton, it's your bet.

Bigger_Al writes:

Fiddlesticks and such.

volhallathunder writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

We're going to regret not taking T. Boyd when we had the chance.

WTFEver

HonoluluVol writes:

I guess this is what CLK considers "SPRING CLEANING"!!!! I can see getting rid of dead weight, but Coleman isn't dead weight though.

kevin151 writes:

All three QBs should quit, ecspecially Crapton!!

golfballs03 writes:

Maybe instead of complaining - he should just get better. He's not far and away better than Crompton; he's not entitled to anything. The only way to win the job is to get better. Coleman couldn't cut it

PaulTheVol writes:

I bet he goes to Duke and reunites with Cutcliff. It's too bad he chose quitting over competing but there it is.

HonoluluVol writes:

Next we'll have to hold tryouts on campus for a QB like some schools do to find a freakin Kicker.

NeylandWest writes:

On further thought, this makes sense from a coaching perspective. With Rozier coming in, we'd have 3 guys fighting it out next spring (from the view of a propsective recruit).

This is a means to an end. Maybe someone like Heaps or Hendrix would be more interested if there were fewer hurdles.

Either way, we'll have a great ground game and I don't see us taking many chances downfield unless Stephens is under center.

golfballs03 writes:

Crompton has been better than Coleman. The numbers don't match up because Coleman plays against back-up defenses. There is a BIG difference.

dvhill100 writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

We're going to regret not taking T. Boyd when we had the chance.

T Boyd could not have helped us this year anyway. He has had knee surgery and won't play this year.

StroVol writes:

Great......not really sure what the fu.. Kiffin is doing here. Time to put football to bed till August. This sucks azz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

volnsc51 writes:

Oh boy! I guess the optimist in me keeps going back to the LSU game a couple of years ago that Crompton almost won as a back up. He looked pretty good running that offense.I would say there is more going on here than we will ever know. Hopefully he knew we had a 5* quarterback on the way and saw the handwriting on the wall.

Good luck to you B.J.

99gator writes:

was this the third stringer under fulmer?

if so, that's two staffs that determined this kid was not the guy.

eventually, you have to deal with that reality.

HonoluluVol writes:

in response to golfballs03:

That's probably his complaint. Why he wasn't given equal snaps with the 1st TEAM to prove his worth and compete. This was supposed to be an open competetion.

UTandETSUfan writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

We're going to regret not taking T. Boyd when we had the chance.

For the 37th time.... IT DOESN'T MATTER... We are going to get a QB next year. Boyd is out this year because of a knee surgery, so he would just be taking up a scholly. Had we signed Boyd, he WOULD NOT be able to play this fall.

golfballs03 writes:

Here's the breakdown of first-rounders by school this decade:

Tennessee: 9
Florida: 8
Georgia: 8
LSU: 8
Arkansas: 6
Auburn: 6
Ole Miss: 4
South Carolina: 4
Alabama: 2
Vanderbilt: 2
Kentucky: 1
Mississippi State: 0

Where are the Fulmer apologists?
What Schools on this like have the most Championships this decade? What does that tell you?

gobigorange8464 writes:

Shocking

dvhill100 writes:

LK was hired for his expertise and I am willing to believe in it. I am sure he is judging all the talent to fit his system and compare it to what he coached at USC (W). BJ is a surprise, but I also understand wanting to play.

I don't think the QB's here will intimidate any recruits. These kids all have egos and think they can play.

The pressure is on for the next recruiting class.

SignalMtnVol writes:

SOB! SOB! SOB!

I sure hope Nick Stephens can step up his game, but with this happening, I would say it's a foregone conclusion that JC is the man this fall. God help us all.

MrBamSeydu writes:

TRUST ME!! The staff knows what they're doing. BJ Coleman is a 3 star QB with a short-yardage arm. If you base ANYTHING off of the O/W game let me just explain something to you.

BJ Coleman was playing against mostly 2nd/3rd teamers, the offense knew what the defense was doing (no blitzing, no stunting), and Lane Kiffin was on the field with him telling him what to do.

Trust me, Crompton, Stephens, and Coleman are all average at best so we're not really losing or gaining anything by him leaving except now Jake Heaps and/or Jesse Scroggins will only have to compete 1 year with Nick Stephens for the starting job. No way in haites does this walk-on baseball player ever play for us, he's just getting a free scholarship from the Red Sox.

scottmichaelmoore#540590 writes:

I am without....words...they better not be giving up on this season before it starts to make room for a recruit that may or may not come to UT... I'll be wicked pissed....

StroVol writes:

in response to UTandETSUfan:

Go check out Stafford's record as a freshman. It will matter in this league.

OrangeMan_86 writes:

OrangeMan_86 writes:

in response to StroVol:

Go check out Stafford's record as a freshman. It will matter in this league.

Go check out Tee Martin's record as a freshman. :)

StroVol writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

SOB! SOB! SOB!

Exactly! A word to all opposing offenses this year. Don't take your freaking helmet off, don't look for gatorade, don't stray from the sideline! You'll be back on the field lickity fu..in split!

TXTN writes:

1) This doesn't have any effect on recruiting. I don't think any QB on our radar this year would be afraid of competing with BJ Coleman. Nothing against the kid, but if Bama is getting commitments from Sims despite having just signed McCarron, I don't think BJ Coleman is running anybody off.

2) I love how everyone on here thinks they know better than the coaching staff that is getting paid millions of dollars to make these decisions. Do you guys somehow have more info or better insight in to these players than CLK? I trust the staff to make the decision that will be best for this football team.

3) I know BJ is a local kid, but I'm having a hard time understanding how so many people on here have been convinced that he was head and shoulders better than JC or Stephens. Coleman looked below average at best in his limited action against Vandy last year. Its funny to me when you guys quote his stats against Hargrave (HS!!!) and our 2nd team defense and compare them to JC's stats against our 1st team defense. That's the definition of comparing apples to oranges.

That being said, I'm disappointed that BJ is giving up, but I wish him the best in the future.

SignalMtnVol writes:

Well, that being said, I hope BJ ends up at Duke, instead of UTC.

b16VOLster writes:

If you don't have the confidence that you can beat out JC, not sure we need you anyways.

orangegrass writes:

Just got interesting. We all know what J. Crompton is not capable of doing. This is a tad un-nerving.

Vol_atile writes:

in response to 99gator:

was this the third stringer under fulmer?

if so, that's two staffs that determined this kid was not the guy.

eventually, you have to deal with that reality.

As much as it hurts to say it.......you're probably right. None of the three were head and shoulders above the rest. You gotta go with experience if that's the case. I don't think anyone should start just because they're different. The old saying "a new broom sweeps cleaner" does not apply. We'll have to take it on faith that they'll put a good product on the field. They know more than we, who should and who shouldn't start. That's just my humble opinion.

uahvol75 writes:

What?!?!?

scottmichaelmoore#540590 writes:

Coleman to Duke...write it down.