Orgeron engineering a recruiting rally

It's been said that recruiting is a marathon.

Ed Orgeron is ready to sprint.

Led by their first-year recruiting coordinator, Tennessee's coaches will be on the road in full force on Monday to evaluate prospects, interview high school coaches and maybe even kiss a baby or two.

The 2009 signing class is a distant memory - as is the frenetic scramble that was needed to secure a nationally rated top 10 haul.

Now there's another game of catch-up to be played. See, most schools were devising their 2010 recruiting game plan in December and January when their 2009 class was mostly complete. With a new coaching staff, Tennessee didn't have that luxury.

"We're really a year behind but I'll never use that as an excuse," Orgeron said. "As the recruiting coordinator, as the leader, I'll never use an excuse. We're going to get them."

Orgeron "no excuses" policy filters down to his entire staff.

"I tell guys 'If you don't believe you're going to go get the recruit, don't go. Let me go. Don't go knocking on that door.' " Orgeron said. "I believe I'm going to sign everybody I'm recruiting. Now I don't always sign everybody I'm recruiting but I have that belief."

That belief in his own ability was born in Miami as he mentored under coach Jimmy Johnson, the ultimate guru of talent evaluation.

Things were simpler then. Now modern technology has had an impact.

Orgeron and his UT staff will hit high school practice fields with video cameras in hand, a practice Orgeron first employed as coach at Ole Miss.

It's the equivalent of recruiting teleconferencing. And it's all about talent evaluation, just like Johnson preached.

Orgeron doesn't care that holding cameras may make him or his coaches look a bit odd. When the Vols are back in their meeting room evaluating tape, they'll be ready to decide just who they'll offer.

By bringing back tape of prospects, each coach can share his opinion and quick, decisive decisions can be made.

Orgeron learned the importance of early recruiting while at Syracuse. Joe Paterno at Penn State offered scholarships earlier and secured his class long before other schools in the region.

"I didn't know anything about junior recruiting," Orgeron said. "We never junior recruited at Miami."

The Hurricanes never had to. They were in talent-rich South Florida. Walk out the front door of the training complex and there's likely a handful of prospects within earshot.

Orgeron took junior recruiting to another level at Ole Miss in 2005 as other SEC coaches privately criticized him.

"When I first got the job at Ole Miss, I was the one that was early offering everybody," Orgeron said. "Everybody said 'What is he doing?'

"Now everybody is doing it. Everybody has caught up now."

When Orgeron landed at Southern California in 1998, he learned some finer points of salesmanship - namely that criticizing other schools only helps the competition.

"If somebody would mention another school, I'd say 'That's a good school. They've got some good things about them. I know some of those coaches.' " Orgeron said. "I don't ever recall bashing another school. I don't need to do that.

"We've got too many good things at the school I'm at to talk about. All I talk about is Tennessee."

And soon.

"I like to be first" Orgeron said. "I like to be the first to offer. I like to be the first in the school. I like to be the first to call the parents. I think when you do that and you show them a consistent coverage, you're going to get most of the guys."

Orgeron would love to secure a couple dozen of the nation's top prospects during the spring evaluation period. Realistically, that's probably not going to happen.

Instead, Orgeron and crew will look to add some commitments while deciding what prospects they need to have at their camps in June.

"Get 'em to camp so I can work them," Orgeron said.

That's how Orgeron best evaluates a prospect - physically, mentally and emotionally.

"You get to see the whole package there," Orgeron said. "It's still not 100 percent but I would weigh that over anything else."

Testing under his watchful eye allows Orgeron to determine a prospect's true size/speed ratio, another important factor in the Orgeron recruiting gameplan.

Orgeron's tireless work ethic likely comes from his mother, who wasn't the sleep-in type.

"Every time I woke up, she was wired," Orgeron said with a smile. "I come from a family of hard workers. My dad never told me I had to play football. He just said 'Make sure you work hard and be the best at whatever you do.' I took that advice."

Visiting with Orgeron, it's hard not to imagine him being burned out at some point in his career. Orgeron said that's not a concern.

"I've had this motor about me since I can remember," He said. "This is nothing I have to put on. Sometimes I have to tone it down. This is Ed Orgeron. This is me.

"The thing I really enjoy about Tennessee and I really enjoy about working with Lane Kiffin, is they hired me for who I am. (USC coach) Pete Carroll hired me for who I was. They loved it. Southern Cal loved it and it looks like Tennessee loves it.

"I'm really appreciative of that."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

revjulian writes:

First... who cares what the article says

revjulian writes:

One of the best reads and entertaining books about college football recruiting is "Meat Market." Read it, and dream about the great things coming to UT football.

VOLinNYC writes:

Can we get audio tapes of him speaking? That would be amazing

KJVol writes:

It doesn't just look like Tennessee loves Coach O. Great to have a group of coaches with real passion for the game!

VAvolfanRON writes:

congrats rev....woooo

this is an awesome article....i just love having orgeron in our corner...he's going to get them!!!

now...this sentence........."Make sure you work hard and be the best at whatever you do"

i hope this still holds true for the younger guys...

yeavols#228407 writes:

go after Jake Heaps...Rivals has Alabama in the lead..let's change that.

TD_4_UT writes:

It's time to turn the bull loose!! This guy's energy level is amazing!! How could anyone turn him down? Let's watch those recruits start rolling in!!! GO VOLS!!!

VAvolfanRON writes:

bama fans arent this arrogant are they?......i had fun with a few bama fans when they came to K'ville 2 1/2 years ago.....

i dont understand why they arent on a bama site...or fla state...or miami?.....

VAvolfanRON writes:

and this guys says he's 50 years old.....he's not a teenager!!!!!!!

just embarrassing

BleedinOrange writes:

in response to TD_4_UT:

I agree.... Coach O, lets reel 'em in....

Vay_Owe_Ale_Ace writes:

Great article about Coach O. As stated previously, Meat Market is a great read, and it will really get you fired up about recruiting. The kids he recruited to Ole Miss are the reason Houston Nutt was so successful this past season. Not the only reason, Nutt is a decent coach, so don't hammer me there, but Coach O stocked the cupboard, and he sure didn't leave it empty.

VAvolfanRON writes:

nice try goof

VAvolfanRON writes:

there ya go.....inferiorty complex again.....degrade the ones that you are threatened by...........to try to make yourself look better

my daughters...
17 y.o....va tech fan first...UT second
15 y.o. all UT

they read gatorzz and DC's posts and say 'dad, if you act like that, i'd disown you'

i pat them on the back and say....dont worry...

VAvolfanRON writes:

no DC...your assistant coach may BEAT them!!!

VAvolfanRON writes:

look.....if only you guys would come on here and just discuss football...or basketball etc.....we all know your team is better.......but you jerks ONLY...i repeat ONLY degrade.....it wouldn't be so bad.....

are you guys this much of a jerk where you work??.....

VAvolfanRON writes:

DC..my daughters like your coach....they think he's SOOO..sincere......especially when he cries......they sent him a pink scarf

CoverOrange writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

That's not a cat, that's a Tribble!

VAvolfanRON writes:

i didnt even look at it......i know he's a jerk..or gator..pretty much the same thing....

no class.....thats what they hope happens at UF....NO CLASS....

why learn...

Ralph_Crampton writes:

I am thrilled about coach "O"...I like everything about him..he reminds me of "Bear" Bryant in his heyday...If he goes after a certain player...look out.

VOLKING writes:

Ease off Gatorz and DC, guys. They're both about 14 or 15 and have no life. Look at how many posts they have put up in such a short time. "Another Saturday night and they ain't got nobody." Plus....they are not actually Gator fans. Just kids messing around on message boards. At least they're not out there killing and stealing like Memphis fans. Just skip over their posts.

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

go after Jake Heaps...Rivals has Alabama in the lead..let's change that.

Alabame isn't even in his final 5....Rivals is a little behind on Heaps.

His final 5 include Tennessee, Washington, BYU, Cal, and LSU - no particular order.

andy112382#209793 writes:

*Alabama (that is what I get for posting so late...then again, who cares if I mess up typing 'Alabama'!)

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

Get over it.

donniedem writes:

in response to gatorz4:

Democrats won the election...nah, nah, nah,nah,nah, nah.

donniedem writes:

in response to gatorz4:

gatorz4...din din is ready. Your bottle is nice and warm...

Volsnfl writes:

DCdynasty writes:
10-24 as a head coach and more baggage than an airport...

The parents of all potential recruits should read this before letting this man in your house:

The SEC checked this out and FOUND NO Violation of Choach o you A_ _

volsfannsc writes:

C'mon guys- you have to admit that DC's & gator's comments are entertaining (if only that of a three year old rerun of Bevis and Butthead). I've often found that people looking over their shoulder usually run head-on into a tree and this will be the case for them as well. Laughable and entertaining.
O's recruiting record speaks for itself and I for one am glad to see signs of life in UT's program. I loved Fulmer and still respect him, but it was a marriage gone stale. All our coaches seem pumped and ready take on anyone. This should also rub off on our players and will result in wins. In two more years I see UT's recruiting residing in the top three in the nation. Not every recruit will pan out to be quality players- but the odds are in our favor. Gone are the days when Florida comes up on the schedule and I wince and proclaim "I hope we at least make a good showing". UM...your days are numbered and your fans realize it! GO VOLS!

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Recurits need to look at the first two rounds of the NFL Draft. Five players from USC.
Mark Sanchez
Brian Cushing
Clay Matthews
Ray Maualuga
Moala Fili
UT is going to be set up the same way with CK and CO. If you want to play in the NFL come to Tennessee young men! GO VOLS!!!!

txvolsfan writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

go after Jake Heaps...Rivals has Alabama in the lead..let's change that.

No way they get Sims and Heap. Heap will go elsewhere!!! Lot of guys are wondering about the looming probation in T-town!!!

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Bama also got Blake Sims also

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to gatorz4:

gatorazzzzzzzzzzzzz, first of all, this isn't a political forum. I may or may not agree with your politics, but this isn't the place for that.

Secondly, this isn't a gator site. I can't help but wonder why you care so much that you sit up all night perusing a Vols site. Is it to gain every little tidbit of knowledge you can about the Vols and our coaching staff because you know that, eventually, we're coming after your sorry azzes, and you know it's not going to be pretty when it happens?

There is no way I care enough about the Gators, bammers, or anybody else that I would spend one minute of my time on one of their sites.

Your anxiety is really showing! I LOVE IT!!!

GO VOLS!!!
GO COACH "O"!!!

JUGHEAD

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

in response to volsfannsc:

I want those days to end to. It would be nice not wince when we play Florida. These last 2 years of beat downs at the hands of Alabama and Florida must end. The incredible energy and enthusiasm the coaching staff seems genuine and here is hoping that it results in a far better team this season then last. I'm definitely not an expert because I sure didn't see the 2008 disaster football season coming. The QB situation is in capable hands of the coaching staff. My guess is that Stephens will eventually be the starter because Crompton isn't an accurate passer and has ball control issues. Make no mistake, we will have to pass to be successful. We will not have a dominating line that will allow us to rush 45 times a game and expect to beat good teams. This offensive line is not even close to being the offensive line of 1998 NC team. We averaged I believe 186 yds rushing a game that season. Don't see that panning out this season even with good running backs.

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to gatorz4:

Well, if you aren't a fan of Obama, we at least have one thing in common!

give_him_6 writes:

Go get"em coach O!!!!!!

gohawks1 writes:

Note to Hooker: Jimmie Johnson is a race car driver. Jimmy Johnson is the former Miami football coach.

PaulTheVol writes:

in response to revjulian:

I agree about Meat Market - it was an eye opening book about how recruiting really works.

Let fans of other schools come on here and criticize, they don't know the results this system has produced.

Tennessee is following the same recruiting strategy and tactics that Coach O learned at Miami under Johnson and perfected at Syracuse, USC and Ole Miss.

This system has proven to work and we have already seen some of the results. We will have the talent, then we need to translate that to wins.

tinknoz#660213 writes:

Give the gator fans xanax...they are showing alot of anxiety.

jimr07 writes:

in response to donniedem:

gatorz4...din din is ready. Your bottle is nice and warm...

I'll bet he is a bed wetter.

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to biggestutfan:

Alright, I really don't like the gators, but I think that is going just a little bit too far...it is football after all, not WWIII.

TommyJack writes:

in response to tinknoz#660213:

Give the gator fans xanax...they are showing alot of anxiety.

Tink: The reality is, these guys are NOT real gators. Totally irrelevant.

Colliervol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Tink: The reality is, these guys are NOT real gators. Totally irrelevant.

Ditto TJ. 99Gator is the only REAL Gator fan that I've seen on this site. The rest are posers and plants.

Slystone writes:

in response to gatorz4:

Get your tea bag and stand in the sun, please.

Voluvr writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

go after Jake Heaps...Rivals has Alabama in the lead..let's change that.

Once Heaps figures out that Alabama is facing NCAA Sanctions again and will lose schlorships and likely not be able to play in bowl games for a couple years, he'll drop them.

Of course they will tell him it's nothing just to get him. He better get his info from the NCAA.

yeavols#228407 writes:

April 25, 2009
11:01 p.m.

DCdynasty writes:

April 25, 2009
11:03 p.m.

DCdynasty writes:

April 25, 2009
11:06 p.m.

DCdynasty writes:

April 25, 2009
11:08 p.m.

gatorz4 writes:

It doesn't get any better than this..keep em coming! More removals please..Priceless~!

OrangePower11 writes:

in response to donniedem:

Democrats won the election...nah, nah, nah,nah,nah, nah.

It's people like you who ruin our nation...Like what's happening with our country is a game? Do you even own your own home or have ANY assets to speak of? My guess would be no, and it has nothing to do with you being a democrat. Bi-partisanship works when all parties are working towards whats best for "America." What we have now is scoreboard politics. Dems vs. Repubs...line in the sand, you say its hot, I'll say it's cold. You take Roger Clemens side, I'll take MacNamee's side. Can you honestly tell me we are better off today than we were 3 months ago? Can you?

HonoluluVol writes:

in response to revjulian:

First... who cares what the article says

Fools like you need to be BANNED!!!

Voluvr writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

go after Jake Heaps...Rivals has Alabama in the lead..let's change that.

I checked rivals and alabama is not even on his list. Plus, with Sims already committed.

You wouldn't be a wolf in sheeps clothing would you?

Voluvr writes:

Everyone imagine two years from now....these lopers will be long gone! I can tell you one thing for sure. After Tennessee wins the NC the last team we'll be worried about is 5-7 Florida and their new coach like these guys are in here.

Voluvr writes:

O E
R N
A V
N Y
G
E

You know spelled backwards, that is as meaningful as any post by gatorz.