Monte back at work

Lane Kiffin tells fans about father's recovery at caravan stop

Tennessee football coach Lane Kiffin signs an autograph for Vols fan Chad Watt during the Big Orange Caravan stop in Franklin on Monday night.

FRANKLIN - Tennessee football Coach Lane Kiffin clarified rumors about his father's health and elaborated on the decision of quarterback B.J. Coleman to transfer during a Big Orange Caravan stop on Monday night at The Factory in Franklin.

Kiffin said his father - UT's defensive coordinator - Monte Kiffin, underwent back surgery a few days ago and was back at work on Monday despite being told by doctors to take a week off.

Continue reading at the Tennessean.

orange__hammerhead writes:

strange they didn't put the Atlanta one on here from last Monday.

the national champion debate team captain was introduced right before Pearl took the stage.

If I'm lying I'm dying - Pearl gets up and (reference his rap number) says I'd rather be a Master Rapper than a
Master DeBater. Then says whoops - that was close

We were almost in the floor

ThaiVolFan writes:

I think BJ just gave up too soon. I am glad that most Vol fans have not blamed Kiffin for BJ's departure. That was BJ's decision not CLK's. The way I see it, the staff has laid out the vision for the future and all those that want to jump ship should do just that. That way we have a solid committed foundation of players to build on.

BSweet writes:

So did Kiffin have to reschedule the second meeting with Coleman because his dad was having surgery? Maybe this has been discussed and I missed it. If it is the case, it just makes BJ look worse for not having the patience to wait until Monday. I understand frustration, but the time to act isn't normally when you're angry. Calm down, think it over, then do what you have to do. Oh well, what's done is done.

Voluvr writes:

Yep. BJ and Nick are in the wrong place at the wrong time. They are recruiting over them now. To have one of them emerging would hurt the 2010 QB efforts. JC will be gone and will pave the for Heaps or whoever wants a NC in two years. Nick is just insurance right now.

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to BSweet:

I actually think it may, I heard on the radio today, that at least one of the meetings had been due to Kiffin having family issues, I thought it might have been with his family moving, but now it looks like it may have been this. If it was, it sure does add to the classlessness of BJ.

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to ThaiVolFan:

I agree it was BJ choice. I think I would have gave him some snaps behind first string players. If rumors are true that LK cussed out BJ our coach has issues and will show up again. If any or all our QB's transfer our record next year will be about the same-better than last year for sure. Go Vols

mmynatt writes:

The key is that JC is not now and perhaps never will be an SEC caliber QB. I do not pretend to know if BJ would have been better, but it is beginning to look like Gerald Jones may be back at QB sooner than later. Just not sure if he has enough passing skills????????????????

Just hope we have an all-world running game:) Plus a great defense is going to be necessary.

volroadwarrior writes:

in response to mmynatt:

I think the jury is still out of JC with a new coach and system. I am not willing to throw him under the bus yet. He will certainly do better than GJ at QB. BJ should have stayed because he might have started at some point in the season. He is not the first kid to make a bad choice.

tndrum#214683 writes:

I'm still not buying the argument that the coaching staff made the decision to start a senior in order to recruit better. This coming season is an audition for Kiffin's offense in the eyes of every high profile football player, including qb's, in the country. If the offense looks like last year's anemic, unorganized, ineffective bunch, then it won't matter who is behind center this year. No one will want to be a part of that. So it's imperative that Kiffin puts the players out there who can best run his offense, regardless of sophomores or seniors.

give_him_6 writes:

in response to tndrum#214683:

Then maybe Kiffin should have told BJ something to that effect in order to get another good QB to stay. Clearly he needed to watch more tape of Crompton and he would known that. BJ acted to harshly, no doubt. But I also think Kiffin has an agneda concerning landing a top notch QB for next season. I just hope he knows what he is doing.

Go Vols

Docrok writes:

in response to Voluvr:

No way a freshmen comes in and starts unless our other QBs are REALLY bad!! Nick Stephens has 2 years of eligibility giving an incoming freshmen the best chance to be successful! Trust me it would be best for the team for Nick Stephens to win the job cause it gives UT an experienced QB for 2 years and gives the incoming freshnmen the best chance to be successful

Docrok writes:

in response to tndrum#214683:

Thank you! I am glad someone else see's this! Also not even Peyton Manning or Tim Tebow started the first game as a true freshmen so why would anyone think that whomever comes in could learn a system and perform well enough to start!

old_number1 writes:

in response to tndrum#214683:

You read my mind on this post. I think you and docrok have it figured out. I still hadn't figured out why a soph would pull this- my way or the highway- routine.

10volunteers98 writes:

Sorry,but I think Heaps OR scroggins could give the two
QB`s we have left a run for the money.I mean right now.Don`t mean to be negative.Hope Kiffin can land one of these guys.Don`t know about Rozier.I`m anxious to see how he does.By,the way,has anyone heard any more about Dexter Moody,the LB from Ga?

TommyJack writes:

in response to DestinVol:

Exactly. The thought that CLK wanted to start a senior just for recruiting purposes never made a lick of sense. He needs to have a respectable year in order to hang on to verbals.

Docrok writes:

in response to 10volunteers98:

Sorry,but I think Heaps OR scroggins could give the two

No word on Moody that I have heard and I doubt that the staff is really in a hurry to offer the guy as we picked up 4 or 5 LB recruits for this incoming year! Unless he is just super-talented then they probably are thinking lets hold off! As far as the QB situation, maybe Heaps or Scroggins can but I would not hold my breath on that! Very few true freshmen start at QB and even fewer are successful! Rozier has the build to be a successful QB and he has 4 years of life experience to gain some maturity so it is possible if he learns the playbook over the summer he could come in and win a starting job!

PaulTheVol writes:

in response to tndrum#214683:

I agree 100%. We've all seen Coleman play - what top ranked QB would be scared to compete against him? As David Climer pointed out in the Tennessean, two different coaching staffs have watched Coleman play QB and both deemed him a backup. That speaks volumes.

vol88 writes:

in response to orange__hammerhead:

strange they didn't put the Atlanta one on here from last Monday.

Master DeBater. Then says whoops - that was close

We were almost in the floor

you have got to be kidding. Dang that is hilarious.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Monte is an inspiration to all card-carrying geezers.

hotrodvol writes:

Sure I was a Coleman fan, but he is gone and then there was two. The main reason I rooted for Coleman was because Crompton played so bad last year. My guess is we play conservative on offense, great defense and very good on special teams, almost Fulmer like. Hopefully of the 90's edition.

That being said my hope is one of the two QB's will really step up and we can throw the ball around somewhat. B. Brown will be a stud RB, Nu'kesse will be starting in the slot, slip screens, reverses and a lot of short throws.

We just got to hang in there my VOL brothers better times are on the way. CLK will keep upgrading our talent until we can compete with the best of 'em. GO VOLS!!!

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to Voluvr:

Appreciate your optimism, but NC in two years. Come on!

vol88 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Appreciate your optimism, but NC in two years. Come on!

I agree Joe. Just like you, I fully expect a NC this year.

:-)

Docrok writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Thats good to know!! Right now there are at least 25 offensive coordinators in the 32 team NFL that would like to hire you as a consultant so that Tampa 2 doesnt handcuff their offenses!! I thought this site was improving as I had not read any of your garbage in awhile but I guess that was false hope! At any rate why dont you give us a list of quality coaches that are up to your standard and lets have some reasoning for it too! What kinda system do they run and why is it successful!!!

givehim6 writes:

in response to ThaiVolFan:

I love our Vols, and hope for a great season.I do not blame CLK for BJ leaving { that was on BJ ]. I do fill a bit uneasy that CLK choose Jon Boy again to run our offence.

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to DestinVol:

AND,the reason for the defensive woes was not due to Kiffin,it was due to multiple injuries.

AND its not full-proof, bu it is Gator,Dawg,GameCock,Tiger,Wildcat,Commadore,etc. etc. proof.

AND they know it is coming to a field near them SOOOOOOONN !!!!!

Colliervol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I guess it depends on one's definition of "good season". If the season is just so-so (7-5?), the hot shot freshmen might see it as an immediate chance to play. I could see either scenario depending on the kid. Personally, I think with the talent where it is, 8 and 4 will be a good season and 9 and 3 would be outstanding.

UrbanStopCallingMe writes:

in response to tndrum#214683:

I agree with you on that one. Also, which top rated QB that potentially could come to Knoxville would be scared of Crompton, Stevens or BJ?

NONE!

GreenDevilVol writes:

My fellow VOL FANS,it does not matter whom it will be !! Any one of the top three recruited q.b.'s coming in here would BEAT them all out,period !!!

GH6,the competition is not over yet either brother !!

Even this older baseball q.b. coming in has a good shot at starting,give him time to learn the playbook. AND remember that Gerald Jones is and was an outstanding q.b. in high school.He ALREADY knows the playbook !!

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to UrbanStopCallingMe:

NONE!

BINGO !!!!!!!!!

Docrok writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

GH6,the competition is not over yet either brother !!

There will not be a freshmen starting QB in 2010! Either Stephens or Rozier will have the job. If Stephens doesnt take over this season in place of Crompton look for it to be Rozier in 2010. The jump from HS to college is as drastic or more drastic than college to pros. They need time to adjust to the level of competition, the speed of the game and learning the system!

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

Yea,and Al Sharpton called and wanted his keyboard back you took from him.

BTW, I'll take that $5 dollar football that will worth more than you will ever be able to make,or in your case TAKE in your pitiful,lame,ghetto living,freestyle annotation lifestyle !!!

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to BobbeaVol:

GreenDevilVol writes:

Oh, that was Sharpton that called from the Sheraton;you took his room key as well,wants it all back !!!!

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to Docrok:

Doc, I was agreeing with you,and BTW,Gerald Jones is not a frosh,or soph !!

GreenDevilVol writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

Doc, I was agreeing with you,and BTW,Gerald Jones is not a frosh,or soph !!

One other note,Manning was a true frosh,it was going into the second game when he started.

ALSO,all of you look at the video on Vol Quest of Scroggins and another q.b.out of Cally land;Shreve,yes,they do have the talent to come in and at SOME point in their frosh year and START !!!!!

Docrok writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

Doc, I was agreeing with you,and BTW,Gerald Jones is not a frosh,or soph !!

Oh thought you were sayin a freshman would get the job!
I dont think Jones is QB material! Maybe is hs but not anymore! Most people think whoever Kiffin recruits will get the nod but i dont see it happening

Ralph_Crampton writes:

What we need at QB for a change is an all-around athlete, we haven't had top notch athlete at QB inn years...say sincve "T". we need the top guy like the rookie that came in the game for LSU who merely rambles down the middle for two touchdowns and was untouched...also knocking the Vols out of national championship game in 2OO1. In other words a guy who can tuck the ball and run if a receiver isn't open. I'm sure we can get one somewhere out there.

Docrok writes:

in response to GreenDevilVol:

No I dont thnk so! And if memory serves injury is the reason Manning got the start when he did and it was kinda back and forth with him and stewart at first

Docrok writes:

in response to Ralph_Crampton:

That was a career back up!!!
Only came in due to injury to Rohan Davie!! That was just bad coaching by TN! And TN isnt running the spread so dont hold your breath on that!

ColeTrickle writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

YOU ARE AN IDIOT! I am 28 and had back surgery and I am perfectly healthy! just because Monte had minor back surgery doesnt mean he has health probelms. Go spew your garbage on an Ole Miss site loser. And who gives a poop if we have a top 5 D and are not over .500. you will see marked improvement on both sides of the ball this year. You are a Lameazz. Like I said get lost Gatorturd!

TommyJack writes:

in response to ColeTrickle:

Ignore him. He's just doing his job. Not very well, but he keeps his numbers up.

ColeTrickle writes:

minor back surgery=serious health problems. like I said...here is your sign moron

ColeTrickle writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I know, I know... just agravates me commenting on someone's health like that. he has 0 class. he is a gatorz-wanna-be! What a waste of a human being!!

old_number1 writes:

TJ, there is all this talk of a frosh coming in to start at QB. You know your stuff. Do you think a frosh can be successful in the current SEC. Also, what SEC frosh QBs have had good years recently? Seems to me that even the top SEC QBs have needed a year or two of seasoning.

Colliervol writes:

in response to DestinVol:

No, I don't think 9 and 3 would scare anybody off. Crompton is going to be gone and Stephens isn't scaring anybody away.

I agree that the real studs don't think about anybody that's there. They think they can beat anybody out. But I also don't think it hurts the cause when it's painfully obvious that we don't have a top notch QB in place right now. That should be added incentive for them to be able to get somebody in here.

ColeTrickle writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

it doesnt seem to be affecting him too much since he is already back at work, nice try though

ColeTrickle writes:

i still have back pain. it doesnt mean I am a unhealthy person and I am on my deathbed since I have chronic back pain. you totaly missed my point. i give up you are a lost cause.

volhallathunder writes: