'Very high chance' that Tyler Smith will stay at UT if he can't raise draft stock

Tyler Smith of Tennessee is hoping he doesn't end up like the Dow Jones Industrial Average by the end of May.

He wants to raise his stock. His NBA draft stock, that is.

Right now the junior forward is projected by most pundits as a second-round pick in June's draft. He will spend most of May working out for teams, hoping to convince NBA teams he's worth taking in the first round.

"I'm looking for input as far as where I'm at at my position ... where they rank me," Smith said Thursday night at UT's annual postseason banquet. Workouts will pretty much be conditioning, going from drill to drill, working out with six guys that play your position. Right now I'm trying to get myself prepared for this."

Smith, who led the Vols with 17.4 points per game last season, isn't exactly waiting by the phone. He's busy working out, preparing to showcase his skills in front of an undetermined number of teams.

"I'm not sure how many yet. A lot (of teams) are still in the playoffs and some are calling that didn't make the playoffs, but right now I'm just working out and letting Coach Pearl handle the NBA deal."

If he is unable to raise his draft stock, will he withdraw and stay at Tennessee?

"There's ... a very high chance. At the same time, I just want to figure out where I'm at and go from there.

"I'm looking at a win-win situation. I could either stay in [the draft] and work my way up, or if I come back next year I'll know the process as far as what the guys are looking for and how the drill work goes."

Related Stories

chrisw2967 writes:

good luck to tyler with the NBA thing but Im thinking he comes back.

justingh1 writes:

I wish the best of luck to Tyler but I think he is a tweener in the NBA: too small to play forward, lack of guard caliber ball skills. He is a heck of a competitor and I hope he makes the right decision for himself and his family. It has really been a joy watching him play.

alfrizzle097 writes:

To say he is in between guard and forwad is inaccurate. He is between power forward and small forward in terms of size. His ball handling skills are good enough for small forward, but his shooting is not. If Dwayne Wade and Rajon Rondo (two of my favorite players) are any indication, you can definitely add range to your game no matter how limited your shooting starts out. Tyler could present some matchup nightmares in the NBA. Remember, he won't be the one getting double teamed every play in the NBA.

newtonrail writes:

If he comes back, who gets booted, with with Scholarship we just lost today account APR? And when is KNS going to report it?

Voluvr writes:

Come on back. Develop your 3 pt. shot so you can play in the NBA.

old_number1 writes:

in response to Jovi:

I posted earlier on another thread that he would stay, kick azz, and the team would be much better next year. Great minds think alike!

old_number1 writes:

in response to newtonrail:

What info do you have?

ZCat writes:

in response to newtonrail:

I believe that all of the APR info is supposed to be released publicly next week.

WestTennVol writes:

Tyler will be back, the bad thing from his perspective, though, is if he comes back he'll be in the 4 spot again, which means he'll be banging around in the post, again, where he won't be able to develop his mid range jumper as much. This really is his only weakness as a 3 going into the NBA. His three ball was pretty consistent late in the season indicating that he can improve fast when needed. Play one more year, find SOME way to develop your mid range pull up, and hes a first rounder.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

This is going to be almost like a twelve step program, but here goes...

-TODAY, I will ignore the Gator 'lopers.
-TODAY, I will not respond to their drivel.
-TODAY, I will let them derive what little joy they get in life by trolling a VOLS site, since it is painfully obvious that they get very little pleasure from reading about the Gators.
-TODAY, I will not pretend that they know of what they speak.
-TODAY, I will read articles concerning the Vols, and will only read posts from real Vols' fans, thereby leaving the Gator 'lopers to grapple among themselves for attention.

How 'bout it, Vols fans? Can we ignore them for just one day? I'm certainly going to give it my best shot. Maybe if we do this often enough they'll go away.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

FeelVol writes:

in response to WestTennVol:

I too think Tyler is coming back,I'm hoping coach Pearl will leave the banging down low with Williams and Negedu something I thought we badly missed last year.Tyler has always worked hard in the paint especially offensively but I believe we need say for example Negedus' physical style of play down low and leave the perimeter available for Tyler and Chism,of course I think we'll need more of Waynes' toughness inside as well.I agree Tyler will have to develop his mid-range game to be a first rounder,hope he comes back we're definitely better with him.

CoachFulmer writes:

Tyler your a great player, but not good enough for a 1st round draft pick yet. You'll be back wearing the orange and white next year and I can't wait.

GO VOLS!

sp911 writes:

GreerVol22 writes:

IF, and its a big IF, we get someone developed at point that can shoot a 3 this will free up Tyler to develop about anything. Otherwise he will have to carry the team much as he did this past season and wind up about where he is now.

ctownvol writes:

in response to sp911:

Well aren't you just full of love?

old_number1 writes:

in response to sp911:

OK. Someone must have been banned. What was your last screen name? We know you are a loper-poser. After this post-alert, I am going to hit the 'ignore button' on you. BTW, KNS, what screen name did you ban yesterday?

vol88 writes:

in response to sp911:

Your mother must be proud.

suPEARLman writes:

He'll be back.

hopefully.....

BEST OF LUCK EITHER WAY TYLER!!!!

golfballs03 writes:

I really hope that Brian Williams can step up so that we might actually start a true center. That would allow Chism to move to his natural position at 4 and Tyler to the 3 spot. Unfortunately we have a glut of wingmen and if you want your best players out there you really cant afford to play just one. i doubt the line up will change much from last year.

Richmondvol writes:

Can someone say what the APR issue is?

b_neas writes:

If he comes back and still is option #1 it may not be much better next year. Scottie needs to be option #1, kid got his confidence and is understanding his role on the team better as of late last season. He can penetrate and finish and has a good enough pull up jumper, and 3pt shot to be the #1 guy. Tyler is obviously a much much better player when he is not the #1 option, just as he was when Jujuan and C-lo were in town.

volhallathunder writes:

in response to newtonrail:

Jurick to UTC and West isnt going to make it due to grades. Tabb is also still a question mark.

volhallathunder writes:

in response to sp911:

You appear to be in denial thinking someone actually gives a d*mn what you think.

volhallathunder writes:

in response to RichRollin:

Duke Crews and Ramar Smith would probably be good places to start layin blame.

GR82BAVOL writes:

I've always thought Tyler would be back and still do.

Hey VOLFORLIFE...I think he needs to work on just his 1st step, since he's powerless over the draft and his outside shot is still unmanageable :-)

SignalMtnVol writes:

Sorry, this is off topic, but a fantastic read, especially for the Gator faithful on here:

DC_Vol writes:

I posted this comment over a week ago and stand by my comments that Tyler will not enter the NBA draft. However, kids are impatient as we all know and so he may blow this great opportunity for NBA success.

I have looked at several 2009 NBA Draft projections and every single one has Tyler Smith going somewhere early or in the middle of the second round. Clearly, from all the information out there he is not going to end up in the first round. I doubt much will change after he attends these NBA camps. Next year appears to be the year for him to enter the NBA draft.

Further, he would be foolish to committ this year, with one year of NCAA eligibility remaining, without being completely certain he is a first round draft pick. I believe if he signs and misses the three year deal for a first round pick he and his "Family" will regret this for the rest of their lives. If he is a second round pick he receives nothing and loses his last year of eligibility. Therefore, I believe he will be back for his senior year at UT despite all this false publicity to the contrary. All this media coverage of Tyler becoming elegible for the draft is nothing but media coverage. He will be back in Orange next year. Go Vols!!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

Signal: Only one real gator on here. The rest are agenda driven posers. Their posts come from KNS Blvd.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Yeah, I know. 99 is actually pretty cool, and I don't mind reading stuff from his perspective. The rest are jackasses.

ctownvol writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

Actually comparing these idiots to jackasses is an insult to jackasses everywhere.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

LMAO! Was JA on the grassy knoll, WD? What about the Lindbergh baby? I say that has JA's fingerprints all over it. . . . .

volhallathunder writes:

Problem for Tyler is that it isnt so much what he needs to do to get better I think he is close to his ceiling at this level. Its the fact that there are so many underclassmen declaring this year ahead of him that are a little better and have more upside. There are at least 15 other big name guys at the G-F positions that are younger than him and ranked higher. For no other reason than next years class looks weaker he needs to come back.

volhallathunder writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Meyer started the pig flu.

ctownvol writes:

in response to volhallathunder:

Meyer started the pig flu.

That's funny. I had heard the same thing.

doctorfingervol writes:

Tyler should be a first round pick if someone can step up and be a solid point guard, consistent three point shooting is a must and chism and hopson need to be the main go to guys not tyler. There were too many times last year when tyler was asked to do too much. He is much better as a second or third option like in 08 when lofton and jajuan were the main guys.

Futurecoach16 writes:

in response to sp911:

Um, as I recall he's one of only...2 starters, I think that is a scholar athlete. He and Williams are the only ones that play every game that has the torch on his jersey, so obviously he's doing something right in the classroom.

Colliervol writes:

in response to DC_Vol:

I agree with you DC. Some folks on this site don't watch much NBA basketball.

The problem he really has is that he may be in worse shape next year unless he miraculously develops an outside shot. (And it's not consistent enough now even in the mid-range to make it as a small forward. Forget shooting guard or power forward.) The draft this year is acknowledged to be one of the weakest in recent memory. If he is only rated second round this year, next year he might be even worse off. There's the dilemma.

Volumnus writes:

in response to RichRollin:

You are correct. The rest of the APR story (Academic Performance Reporting) is based on team GPA and graduation rate. That is the reason that kids like Hopson performing well is a bonus as well as is Chism who is set to graduate early(I think). It is my understanding that the formula is based on early dismissals(booting), leave early (non hardship NBA jumps) which affect graduation rate and the team GPA. Tennessee has 12 scholarships, if I am not mistaken, and are on the bubble for losing another. I think that they are appealing the Ramar Smith penalty, but don't stand much of a chance there.

If UT suddenly ends up with 11 scholarships and some questionable recruits then the chances of a repetition of last season is a possibility. Smart kids as a walk on are helpful to transition to floor scholarship players and raise your APR.

By comparison Miss. State only has 7 total scholarships. They are jocking smart kids who can play and walk on big time right now, look for them to be a force this coming year or the year after. Rumor is that they are all over two of the 4 HS kids who played in the RTL last year, working to scrape up academic scholarships and grants and even waiving out of state tuition. Small world isn't it???

I am not sure how it works, but when you get yourself behind the "8" ball like MS. St., you do get credit for smart kids walking on. They may have to transition to the scholarship ranks and graduate, but there is a redemption formula.

VOLS_R_BEST_DEAL_WITH_IT writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

This is going to be almost like a twelve step program, but here goes...

-TODAY, I will ignore the Gator 'lopers.
-TODAY, I will not respond to their drivel.
-TODAY, I will not pretend that they know of what they speak.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

I shall join you in your struggle. We can only hope that one day we can have a gator free website.

iowavol writes:

in response to Book1:

Huh?

Ironcity writes:

in response to CatScratchFever:

I expect Tyler to go to Europe. It makes sense. I don't think he can make himself quicker. I just don't see him being a good enough defender or shooter to make it in the NBA ever. Tyler can become a millionaire in Europe and their is nothing wrong with that.

hueypilot writes:

in response to Volumnus:

Uh, I was assured there would be no math on this blog.

in response to DC_Vol:

I agree with nearly everything you said, but what you said about a 2d-round draft pick is not quite right. It IS true that only 1st-round picks automatically make the roster and get guaranteed contracts, but a 2d-round pick who actually makes the team gets at least the NBA guaranteed minimum, which is WELL north of $500k/yr.

It is hard but not impossible for a 2d-rounder to make a team--several do each year--and teams can sign rookie free agents just like NFL teams do. No question, it would be a harder slog for a 2d-rounder or free agent to make it, but if he does, he can make up a LOT of lost ground in a hurry, money-wise, with a couple of years of good performance.

All that said, UNLESS he IS a 1st-rounder, I hope he will come back and will get enough playing time at small forward to improve in all the necessary areas.

in response to CatScratchFever:

Seems I have heard him say that Europe is the last resort for him. The main family issue for him is his (I think) 3-yr-old son, and he has made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to have to go that far away. Like most others on here, hope he stays at UT in hopes of improving his stock for next year's draft.

in response to hueypilot:

Uh, I was assured there would be no math on this blog.

I hear you, buddy! That APR stuff can make your head spin! Not too surprising, considering it is part of the NCAA rule-book, which is right up there with the IRS code in arcane complexity.

MillisaAnn writes:

I really think he should stay in school but I wish him luck in whatever he does.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Just being honest, I'm much more concerned about Ashley and how many more days?

It's that way in the hills during doldrums.

FutureVolcoach writes:

we want tyler smith back. We do not need to bring him down saying that if he comes back they will lose a scholarship oh well the world will not end.

Slystone writes:

He's projected a mid to late 2nd rounder. But my only question is would his stock really improve any next season? Some would say perhaps,but I don't think he will.

ps11824 writes:

4 Words for you, Tyler: U R not ready!