Kiffin: Brandon Warren struggling with practice

Players comment on first practice of the season

The Vols talk about Tuesday's practice

Tennessee junior Brandon Warren has made the move from tight end to wide receiver, and he’s happy as can be after two days of preseason practice.

First-year UT coach Lane Kiffin, however, is far from satisfied with Warren.

Warren made several nice catches during Wednesday’s practice, but at one point had to pull out of a drill when he had a shoestring problem.

“What happened?” Kiffin yelled in Warren’s direction as team managers worked on the shoestring.

Warren was also slowed by a foot injury in the summer.

“It’s always something with Brandon,” Kiffin said. “We need to try to figure out a way with Brandon to make it through a practice. We’re having a hard time getting through 30 minutes with him, so we’ll see.”

Warren, the PrepXtra Defensive Player of the Year in 2005 while playing for Alcoa High School, was a freshman All-American as a tight end at Florida State in 2006 when he had 28 catches for 301 yards and a touchdown. After sitting out the 2007 season, Warren played tight end for the Vols in 2008 and had 10 catches for 85 yards. He started one game.

“I’m feeling good,” Warren said. “I feel like that (wide receiver) is probably where I should have been playing my whole career. I wish I would have, but I’m excited. I like the offense and what we’re going to be running. I’m just ready to play.”

Warren, slotted as a co-starter at wide receiver with senior Quentin Hancock, said he feels close to full speed.

“I’m fine. I’m 95, almost 100 percent,” Warren said. “I’m not worried about it at all.”

Warren likes the intensity of the first two practices.

“Everybody’s excited, everybody’s ready to play,” Warren said. “We’re hungry. We had a terrible year last year and it left a terrible taste in our mouths. We’re just ready to go.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Related Links

imw8n4u writes:

sounds like there may be some doubt about the seriousness of the injury

smokeyrocks writes:

Hope Brandon doesn't end up in Kiffin's doghouse. He has too much talent to not be on the field.

TSNSD4UT writes:

Sounds like CLK is not very happy with young Mr Warren if there's doubt what do the trainers say legit fix it if not move on without him,tough love baby...

cincivol writes:

I hope Warren is OK and this is just motivation for him. However, I do have to say that this is a huge change from what seemed like a coaching staff that was a little to loose to a coaching staff that is not playing around with phooey.

I LOVE IT!!! WELCOME BACK TO UT FOOTBALL ALL!!!

golfballs03 writes:

um, this is not good news.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

get him to someone for a good evaluation of the injury. If it is a serious injury, get him medical treetment. If it is mental, get him off the field.

For all UT fans, I hope it is physical.

SEAL_9821 writes:

Well, I think Warren has some potential but I can see the distrout from Kiffin's side of view. According to what I have heard, the team done X-RAYS and checked him out and nothing seems to show up as a injury or serious problem. I just hope it gets worked out. I was looking forward to seeing what this kid can do. We all know he has the talent.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED:

For all UT fans, I hope it is physical.

*treatment...my spellar don't be working to good tonite

Greer_Vol_22 writes:

lazy???

tngivem6 writes:

Doesn't sound too good for BW

ROCKYTOP10ECVOL writes:

Sounds like Coach Kiff is CHALLENGING a very talented young man to realize his POTENTIONAL, WORK HARDER & MAN UP. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSNSD4UT writes:

in response to ROCKYTOP10ECVOL:

Totaly agree RTVOL let's hope he steps up and becomes the player his coach wants him to be.

beachvol1 writes:

Super headcase obviously!!!! He needs to suck it up or quit....never thought he would be like this!!!

RoadTrip writes:

in response to TSNSD4UT:

I am with y'all. That whine stuff ended when CLK and crew came to town. Man up or head down to the doc's office and have it worked on. You don't want to try Door #3.

teampenny#658108 writes:

in response to ROCKYTOP10ECVOL:

Interesting he is challenging the player so openly. Hope the young man responds. Go Vols

rockytopatl writes:

This problem could explain why he didn't get much playing time last year. Let's hope he gets it together.

ThaiVolFan writes:

in response to teampenny#658108:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm a little surprised that Kiffin is calling him out to reporters. Do they have the audio of him talking about Warren?

TSNSD4UT writes:

Walked away frome one school lost his number at new school now questions about heart can you say strike three.

Ironcity writes:

If he thinks it hurts now wait until someone actually hits him.

dvhill100 writes:

To paraphrase a military slogan, the more you sweat in practice, the less you lose games. Either suck it up and go or get a doctor's excuse Warren.

scott_m99 writes:

I think when he came here from Florida St. he had the attitude that he had come from another elite program that has always recruited and produced great talent. Maybe he thought that he would have a one way ticket to the starting line up based on where he came from and he wouldn't have to put in any work. Maybe he thought that since he was a home town kid that the coaching staff would him slide kinda like a teachers pet. Well I got news for you BW...you either get to work or get out. Rub some dirt on that foot or use some duct tape...suck it up!

DennisVols writes:

I really like this "No BS " approach that Kiffin seems to have about the team and the players. My Platoon Sgt used to say that "The maxium effective range of an excuse was zero".
How many of us have grown tired of the excuses we have heard the past several years following losses or poor performances by players on and off the field?
Stay on them CLK, make them tough.
Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

Weatherman writes:

"Pain is weakness leaving the body." (USMC)

BuckFama writes:

You didn't hear any excuses from Warren last year because the previous staff gave him very little playing time with the team last year.

No playing time is a "no BS" approach, too. Except Knoxville's "press" didn't ask last year, they just opined as to what the lack of playing was due to.

MattDillon writes:

in response to Jovi:

THINK THATS IT

tdforvols writes:

“I’m fine. I’m 95, almost 100 percent,” Warren said

I didn't read anywhere in the story where he was making injury excuses. Did I miss something somewhere?

VOL1SG writes:

"Blood makes the grass grow green" Come on BW. You have God-given talent a lot of kids wish you had. Use it or He make take it away from you. Bite the bullet and work your tail off to be all you can be.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Hope he turns out to be a Peerless Price, not a Kelly Washington. With some good WR's coming in, its not good to be in Kiff's doghouse!!

pms151 writes:

All of you that have never been to a practice speculate all you want, This is typical coach speak and KNS knows it. They just need your arousal to sell papers.

1974Vol writes:

in response to PerdedorVol:

9/19 you get what's coming to you. Vols 24- Gators 10. Write it down.

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to DestinVol:

I was asking my self the same question. There's either more to this story or its like what you and other posters have said about CLK pushing Warren to be his best.

tennezz writes:

I guess this answers our question about why he did not play more last year! You`ve got the talent Warren USE IT!

1974Vol writes:

BW will come around. Part of reason he didn't play much last year is in CPF "O" they didn't throw to TE's. TE's were just another OT. Coaches only challenge guys in the press like this they think will come around. Any real slackers get after practice time with which ever assistant coach is the most sadistic:) Its a football tradition.

1974Vol writes:

in response to PerdedorVol:

We won't have to. That's three Tebow pick sixers by our D and an in your face FG with 3 ticks left.

tennezz writes:

in response to PerdedorVol:

TROLL ALERT - THE BUZZARD IS CIRCLING-!

Txvol57 writes:

Hey! I love how Kiffin will call somebody out and hold them accountable..cue "he's working like heck to get better"...Fulmer was terrible! Go Vols!!

1974Vol writes:

in response to 1stAndGoal:

Second that. You don't call out real trouble in the press; you handle it behind closed doors.

UTahVOL writes:

in response to ROCKYTOP10ECVOL:

x2

1974Vol writes:

in response to PerdedorVol:

Naw its his 2009 recital...he's gonna dance all over the Gators.

1974Vol writes:

Ummm troll for a bedtime snack. My favorite. Night all -- Go Vols!

Volomatic writes:

This is a little off subject but when did Lamaison join with the squad

givehim6 writes:

If I'm not mistaken wasn't BW having some problems last year? Hope he does not turn out to be a bust.

newtonrail writes:

in response to givehim6:

I can't help wondering if a small part of this is to free up the Jersey # 1, just like he did # 11 for Bryce Brown. Promised some recruit # 1. Whether it is in this case or not, I wish they did like the NFL and only gave single digits to QB's, give LB's and Center's 50's, etc. I know that's old school, but how I feel. I do like names on jerseys and still afraid Kiffin will mess with that. To me that was never calling attention to a player.

GahLee writes:

This is clearly a motivational tactic...we need Brandon, Kiffin knows this, he is just dishing out some tough love...Brandon will be fine.

RockinTop writes:

in response to ThaiVolFan:

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Yeah we should fire CLK and get a coach that will coddle them again!

Laughing my head off! Get after em coach!

UCFgradVOLatHEART writes:

CLK knows what he is doing. I think he already knows what makes most of these kids tick. I feel he may just be trying to push the correct buttons to motivate not only Mr Warren but some of the other players as well.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to Farva:

Put your wallet where your knobwasher is :)

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Gotta love the boot in the slats approach of Kiffin.

StroVol writes:

Sounds like the #1 jersey is available again.

volfan2002 writes:

I think Coach Kiffin is trying to get Warren to reach his potential and hopefully Warren will respond. A tremendous talent hopefully he also has the desire.