Stephens bounces back in second practice Wednesday

Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin was pleased that quarterback Nick Stephens bounced back from a rough morning practice Wednesday with a strong showing in the evening practice.

In the first session, Stephens fumbled a snap from center, was off-target on several passes, and his worst moment came when he threw a long wounded-duck-like pass that Gordon intercepted.

“Nick was really down, especially because he had a really bad decision in the four-minute offense, which was the last thing we did so everybody kind of saw it,” Kiffin said. “To come back today and rally, that’s football, that’s what’s going to have to happen at halftime if you have a bad first half.”

Kiffin said UT’s offense practiced “extremely well” and that its quarterbacks were “really good” Thursday evening.

Kiffin said he believes that his quarterbacks have gained confidence from last Saturday’s strong scrimmage. Other players, Kiffin said, have more confidence in UT’s signal callers since their play improved.

“They’re both playing really well,” Kiffin said.

Linebacker Lingo: Kiffin said he’s been pleased with UT’s freshman linebackers.

“Every day there’s one of them that pops up,” he said.

Kiffin said Jerod Askew continues to make plays and Greg King is showing flashes. Askew nailed tailback David Oku in the evening session, causing a fumble.

No More Babying: Kiffin said he’ll likely coach from the sideline during Saturday’s scrimmage instead of sitting in on UT’s offensive huddle as he has done throughout preseason practice.

“I have to get out of the huddle here eventually,” Kiffin said. “It’s kind of like with a baby. You’ve got to wean them off the bottle.”

Practice Report: Quintin Hancock caught two consecutive 20-yard touchdowns, one from Jonathan Crompton and another from Nu’Keese Richardson on a trick play … Stephens threw a 55-yard touchdown to freshman receiver Marsalis Teague. … UT moved inside midway through practice because of lightning.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

we need the offense to continue improved play. How will the QB's play during real games? I still see JC as the starter and I think he will come through with the strong coaching he is getting.

xvolx writes:

Good for you. perfect practice makes perfect.

jimmy71#237592 writes:

Has Chris Donald quit the team? I hear nothing about him anymore.

davethevol writes:

Good job, QB's. I really think these guys are gonna be solid once it's gametime.

chrisw2967 writes:

Trick play ? we havent seen one of those in how many years ?

IBleedOrange444 writes:

in response to jimmy71#237592:

Has Chris Donald quit the team? I hear nothing about him anymore.

Think that he was getting some looks at DE, but doesn't sound like he's done much there yet either.

Gator_Hater (Inactive) writes:

in response to jimmy71#237592:

Has Chris Donald quit the team? I hear nothing about him anymore.

This Chris Donald junk is getting old. If he were actually doing anything noteworthy we'd hear about it. Time to face the facts: 5 star rankings don't mean diddly squat, the boy was over-hyped, and everyone here seems to have a lovefest with the dude. I know he's a homegrown boy and everything, but so was Daniel Brooks. Look at what he did.

I think it's time to move on.

VolNWA writes:

Only Two. I distinctly remember one during the Georgia game for a TD in 07 (to Coker) and one for a TD against Florida in 06.

VolNWA writes:

(Two as in years since a trick play, chrisw)

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

I think it's time to move on.

I agree completely. The fact that his name has never been mentioned communicates more than enough. He has become irrelevant and has to bring himself into the conversation.

VOLinDAWGland writes:

Chris Donald who?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Keep at it, Stephens.

Will admit the word "bounce" in the description of our QB's tends to make me a little nervous.

How many days, GerryOp?

smokey_vols writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

Trick play ? we havent seen one of those in how many years ?

The last one I saw netted us a TD against UF at home a couple years back. Evidently they didn't go back and look at that film while CPF was here.

gnm53108 writes:

Go get it Nick.It's yours if you'll just take it.

lomas98 writes:

in response to Gator_Hater:

I think it's time to move on.

I said a few weeks ago that Chris Donald was a bust. I got chastised for that because everyone said the new coaching staff would get his talent on the field. Maybe the old regime knew what they were doing by not letting him on the field. Please stop asking about Chris Donald. He will not contribute.

rocky_topper writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

Trick play ? we havent seen one of those in how many years ?

Since last season actually.

Volin68 writes:

in response to rocky_topper:

Since last season actually.

From what I saw, every play was a trick play!!!!! Everybody was confused!

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

Here is what I see happening at practice:

JC: His pitch and power sweep tossess still behind runners and too high and will cause 3 turnovers in a real game, still hands off ball too high ( Aubuirn 08), fumbles and Has Not Gotten Better Since Spring Ball-- he is the same JC that from last year, you 106K will get to see it for yourself the media is cuddling JC.

Nick: Has made leaps, kid is very strong and his offensive teams has scored more TD then JC offensive run teams. - Go Figure, he has worked harder...just keep doing what you are doing and again the Mid Am Conference game against Ohio Univ you will get your shot.

KNS: How come last Friday we did not see Crompton Throws 3 Picks, Fumles and Look like JC 08? Did the Crompton family or UT staff call and say lets be " a little nicer" on JC since he needs to cuddled.

get ready folks you will see what i have seen and the media or Heath Shuler is spinning this to make it look better then it really is- Trust Me on this one

longertimevolfan writes:

Sounds like practice is going very well this year. We may go 9-4 with a bowl game, who knows what could happen.

By the way, from what I've been reading on different boards (you know the media ESPN, CBS, etc) I am not sure Florida needs to play their scheduled games. They are picked to go undefeated and win the SEC E. and the SEC CS game and the BCS which means everyone left is playing for second place. Let's just go ahead and crown Florida the 2009-2010 national champs and then see who comes in second.

Excuse the ranting but I am tired of hearing, reading and seeing all the hype about Florida.

IMO they will loose 2 games, because the hype will get in their heads.

I need an orange fix GBO

Need_2_Know writes:

in response to QB_10:

Here is what I see happening at practice:

Assuming your grasp of football is equivalent to your grasp of grammar, I say your observations here are of little relevance. I, too, have seen some of the practices over the last week, and I'm telling you that this Crompton is NOT the same guy you saw last year. Stephens is coming along well too, and this offense will be okay with either one under/behind center. Seems like we did OK with Darryl Dickey when necessary in 1986 and he wasn't a great quarterback, either.

Just have to be solid, that's all.

QB_10 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Need_2_Know:

Just have to be solid, that's all.

My apology for the poor use of grammer and spell checking. The biggest difference between NS and JC? Watch and see and remeber my comments earlier. JC will start the first 3 games, WKU win, UCLA he will struggle and then the Florida game. Urban Meyer and his defense are going to proove a point. You can call it a lesson or a cheap shot, but that is for the zebras to decide- Chat again on 9/20.
Rest assured Nick Stephens will finish the year and play in the bowl game

Raynoch writes:

in response to chrisw2967:

Trick play ? we havent seen one of those in how many years ?

Among others, I'm pretty sure the Lucas Taylor to Lamarcus Coker 40+ yard touchdown pass in the '06 Florida game was a trick play. I think that combination hooked up at least twice, another time against UGA.

I love how everyone bangs on the old coaching staff even though they provided arguably the most successful era in Tennessee football history and are long gone now. How about we get over it.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to Raynoch:

Hopefully the healing will begin on Sep 5th.

There is a lot of bitterness among the Orange fans I know.

Its been a long 10 years.

Raynoch writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Hopefully the healing will begin on Sep 5th.

There is a lot of bitterness among the Orange fans I know.

Its been a long 10 years.

The program hasn't met expectations this decade, but let's not act like we haven't been competitive in 10 years. We've played for 3 SEC championships in the past 8, one was just two years ago. Let me pre-emptively defend this post by saying I believe it was Fulmer's time to go, but he was a great coach way more than he was a bad one.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to Raynoch:

True, but I kinda like the sound of SEC Champion.

davethevol writes:

It's gonna be an exciting season.

volfan7 writes:

Here is a thought: why not alternate Stephens and Crompton. I realize this does not always work but Spurrier at Florida used the two quarterback system with some degree of effectiveness when he realized that neither QB was outstanding. I would like to see that happen this year at Tennessee.