Surge in donations, ticket sales at UT

Tennessee’s athletic department seems destined to reach or surpass two of its major goals after a busy financial week.

“We remain hopeful that we can break ground on that project this fall,” UT athletic director Mike Hamilton said in a text message Thursday.

The Vols also are surging toward their football season ticket sales goal thanks to a recent marketing campaign and rising fan interest.

UT has sold more than 70,000 season tickets for the 2009 season, according to figures provided by associate athletic director Chris Fuller. That is just over 96 percent of available season tickets.

The Vols sold 300 tickets Wednesday thanks in part to an offer to established donors that allows them to buy four additional tickets without an additional donation. UT has sold 2,000 season tickets since July 20.

“My sense is that people are really fired up about this season,” Fuller said.

Season tickets sell for $360. For non-established donors, UT has dropped its previous mandatory donation by approximately 50 percent to $125. Premium seats require a greater donation.

As those letters continue to reach donors, Fuller expects the surge to continue.

He said UT’s goal this season is to sell 71,000, which is approximately 97.5 percent of available season tickets. The Vols sold 72,800 season tickets last season.

Fuller said UT is certainly not immune to the shaky economic environment, but is pleased that available tickets and reduced required donations could bring in younger, possibly lifelong fans.

Any season tickets that go unsold will be sold as single-game tickets. There are likely to be plenty of tickets available for non-conference games, such as the season opener against Western Kentucky, Ohio, UCLA and Memphis.

Fuller said he’s seen a dramatic drop in tickets sold to visiting schools. In 2005, UAB fans bought 7,200 of their 8,000 allotment. UAB fans bought only 800 last season.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

panties4tebow writes:

Quess the billboard in fl helped sell tickets to see a real team and the hotest team in USA!!!!

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RockyMtnVol writes:

Yahoo!! we need him....Go Big Orange!!

Volstate writes:

in response to panties4tebow:

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me guess, you weren't an English major in school.

StroVol writes:

wonder how many would have been sold for Fulmer and crew? 11?

riversetvol writes:

We wouldn't have had 65,000 people at the WKU game if Fulmer was still coaching.

The extra tickets sold for WKU and Ohio will pay off Fulmers buyout.

panties4tebow writes:

in response to Volstate:

Let me guess, you weren't an English major in school.

I don't have to quess on this one!

You were my classmate in school that spent everyday sitting in a chair facing the corner.

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

We can invite all the kids to see BOZO and sell them cupcakes at the bake sale...give them kiddie discounts and we might sell out. There, I think that about covered everything the idiot lopers might wonder about. If we have any bake sale money left over, we can donate to the UF bail-a-thon and the "Keep Urbie from going to Notre Dame" fund.

vol45 writes:

Rather than being so negative on the season ticket sales; that's more than the Titans sell for each game and it's also more than a lot of NCAA schools sell for their biggest games. I know, I know this is Tennessee, if they win they will come, if they don't fans stay home just like 1958 and 2008.

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to DaMan:

Nice try, but hardly any thought was put into this post. Ya stupid, it is the economy. Secondly, when UT gets greedy and requires thousands in donations just to get season tickets, something is wrong. The highlight of t the article, for me, is UT had to lower its donation requirements. Love that. I would have not known if the article hadn't mentioned it. I have been away for years and now I am back. I would love to drive through a Wendy's and pick up some great seats. I'll be looking for those MANY MANY good lower level tickets you are talking about. THird, the stadium has expanded creating more seating. When it gets closer to kick off, I am sure the seats will be sold out. Your theory of the silent majority is a bunch of sludge sliding down an underground pipe. The majority of seats are sold, so you arn't the majority.

Voluvr writes:

and you thought the S. Florida campaign wouldn't work.

BillVol writes:

Any renderings of this new athletic complex? Will there be an indoor track? Let's go, Dave! How about a little digging?

txvolsfan writes:

in response to DaMan:

Shouldn't it be DAIDIOT!!!

UT 28
Gay-tors 21

scott_m99 writes:

in response to DaMan:

Thats DaRetarted

BuckFama writes:

Hoot on the previous Vol's coach if you must, but keep in mind that Neyland Stadium's seating capacity was increased substantially (@12K) to hold the crowds that paid millions upon millions to see his teams, including his national championship team, play.

I suspect that none of you clowns did a single thing to change Neyland's capacity - other than maybe buy two seats to accommodate your fat, couch-sittin' butts.

BuckFama writes:

And it's great that donations are up.

Go Vols!

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to DaMan:

Hey DaIdiot when were the Lady Vols ever bad

PennVol writes:

I asked to upgrade my seats from north endzone (ZZ12) to upper deck between 10-30 yard line thinking I'd have a decent shot if other donors gave up their seats this year. It didn't happen so what's remaining must be high $$$ seats.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

I still have a lot of work to do ticket-wise with the can prices being down. Last load brought $29.00.

Maybe the stimulus package could send me a check.

CapitolC writes:

in response to DaMan:

Did you even read the article ?

What does D A stand for ?

kman29 writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

I don't know what has been the policy in the past for UT with getting season tickets, but I know at UF you have always been required to AT LEAST donate $2,500 to be eligible for season tickets. And the $2,500 only puts you at the bottom of the waiting list. So UT requiring thousands in donations to get season tickets is probably on par with every other school within the SEC or major programs around the country.

idahovolfan#230277 writes:

in response to DaMan:

Dang, I wish I had talked to DaIdiot before I bought my tickets for the UCLA game. Maybe he would have hooked me up with some of those lower level tickets. As it is, I am flying across the country to take my daughter to her first real game and all I could get was upper level corner of the south end zone. We still can't wait for "football time in Tennessee" though.
DaIdiot should also take into account that a sold out swamp would still leave over 12,000 tickets available at the Wendy's drive-thru in a real football town.

mkat33 writes:

"First, the Vols received $4 million in pledges this week for its new 125,000-square-foot athletic complex that will be attached to the indoor complex at Neyland-Thompson Sports Center.

"UT has secured $28 million worth of pledges of the $30 million it needs to begin the project."

In this economy, there's this much money being donated for an athletic complex? Especially when a lot of charities that are helping the needy are seeing their revenues decline? Don't get me wrong. I'm sure that a lot of jobs will result from this project, but I still feel like I'm missing something.