UT appealing NCAA decision on Brown

Hamilton says 'that's not a final decision by any measure'

The University of Tennessee's athletic department has received the NCAA's initial verdict on freshman tailback Bryce Brown's amateur status and is appealing the ruling.

"That's not a final decision by any measure," athletic director Mike Hamilton said Wednesday of the initial response by the NCAA.

UT officials wouldn't comment on the specifics of the ruling, however, a repayment of any extra benefits Brown may have received when he was in high school and a one- or two-game suspension at UT are possible, but that is considered a worst-case scenario.

UT officials reiterated that the NCAA investigation has nothing to do with the Vols' recruitment of Brown, who was ranked the No. 1 prospect by Rivals.com in 2009. The investigation began early this year, before Brown signed with UT in March.

"Everything has been determined," said Brad Bertani, UT's associate athletic director for compliance. "Now we're just focusing on getting him eligible. There is no investigation ongoing right now.

"There's nobody (NCAA investigators) on campus. ... There never has been anybody on campus regarding this issue."

Two possible violations could have jeopardized Brown's amateur status.

First, where did the funding originate that helped send Brown to tour college campuses when he was at Wichita (Kan.) East High School?

If a prospective college or booster paid to help Brown travel to their campus his amateur status would be at risk.

Second, did Brown receive any extra benefits, such as free training? Brown's mentor in Kansas, Brian Butler, was also a trainer and has been the subject of much scrutiny for his involvement with high school prospects.

Despite rampant media criticism of Butler's role in Brown's recruitment, Hamilton didn't see widespread wrongdoing in the reports he received.

"There's not a big clandestine deal that I can see behind all this in Wichita at all," Hamilton said. "I think it gets highlighted because of the marquee nature of the individual that was recruited in this instance."

That is by design. The NCAA regularly investigates the top prospects in the nation, especially in football and basketball, Hamilton said. Those are the ones most often at risk of having their amateurism compromised.

"They're trying to cut off any problems before they get into college, before they play for two or three years then something comes out," Bertani said.

Questions about a student-athlete's amateur status are most common in basketball, golf, tennis and swimming - sports in which athletes are often recruited internationally where there are far different rules on amateurism.

Often such issues in those sports deal with prize money a recruit might have received following competitions.

Given that context, the Brown investigation is business as usual, except for the timing - or lack thereof.

"The frustrating thing is this was investigated and looked into in the spring and it has not been brought to completion," Hamilton said.

That leaves UT with little more to sit on than the initial ruling, which obviously wasn't what the Vols were hoping for.

"I'm not interested in talking about initial rulings," Hamilton said. "I'm interested in talking about what the final ruling is.

"Our hope is that sometime in the next two-and-a-half weeks we'll get a more favorable ruling as to what his amateur status is and what he has to do to make sure that he is able to be eligible to play."

UT opens the 2009 season against Western Kentucky on Sept. 5.

Brown's awareness of what he may have received could be a factor in UT's appeal. Bertani said it's not unusual to get initial rulings reduced due to mitigating circumstances.

"The facts have been determined and we're working through the eligibility reinstatement portion of it," he said.

Hamilton reiterated what h coach Lane Kiffin said of Brown on Tuesday, that UT's newest big name is also a "great kid".

"If he has to pay some monies, I'm hopeful that it's not a huge amount and I'm hopeful that he doesn't miss any competition," Hamilton said. "But I don't know that now."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

boro_vol writes:

One or two games. . .okay, I guess. But we need him for that third game!

rockytopatl writes:

It's at least two games or they wouldn't be appealing. And it could be a considerable amount of money that his family might not have. Doesn't sound good.

CoverOrange writes:

My parents gave me money to not only tour UT's campus but actually attend classes. And my HS gym teacher "trained" me for free while I was in class. Guess I'm not an amateur anymore.

Stupid. Touring a campus is not an athletic event and Brian Butler wasn't an advocate for any particular school. Amateurism isn't an issue.

HHUUMMBBLLEE writes:

ncaa is so an*l

Ironcity writes:

Hamilton and UT have historically done well when dealing with the NCAA and investigations (not the clearinghouse). I would expect UT and Brown will fair well in the end. A one game suspension and a couple hundred dollars payment.

It would be interesting if they suspended him two games and he debuted against Florida. UF would not have anything on Brown. That could work to our advantage.

the10sevol writes:

"verdict"? "initial ruling"? which is it?
and no investigator on campus, as widely reported yesterday?
"no investigation ongoing"?
the ncaa has about as much transparency as the cia. "kid, sit out 2 games and pay back $200 because we know things. never mind what those things are. just because we say we know things."
just out of curiosity, to whom would he have to make repayment?
GBO

tngivem6 writes:

Another stupid NCAA ruling..if the kid's in high school what would it matter.

CaliVol2009 writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Doesn't sound good? lol I bet he has to repay less than 3000 dollars...wouldn't call that considerable. You must be a glass half full kind of person....sigh

stayingorange writes:

The timing is the worst part of all this. If the NCAA "routinely" checks top recruits and this goes back to the spring, then what the heck has been going on all this time?

HtownVol writes:

If he was attending UF would he be investigated?

imw8n4u writes:

Does anyone else get the feeling that this "initial ruling" must be really bad? They aren't even saying what the ruling is, just that they are "trying to get him eligible." To me that means he currently is not eligible. Am I totally off base here?

kman29 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I seriously doubt that it would have any bearing on how effective Florida's defense is prepared. This is the SEC and this defense as seen the Charles Scotts, Glenn Coffee, knowshon moreno ect..I understand how pumped you all for Brown, but you can't honestly tell me that he is better than all of those guys in his very first game as a college player. If anything it will be Brown who will have the adjustment to do by not having any college games under his belt and being thrown into the UF game with their defense as his first game.

newtonrail writes:

in response to sweeten_159#646196:

Good point. NCAA seems to play favorites.

lt4vols writes:

in response to HtownVol:

If he was attending UF would he be investigated?

Probably not, to hear the Gators say it, they didn't want him to begin with !!!!!! {Yeah right} GO VOLS

txvolsfan writes:

Voluvr writes:

Let's not shrug off Western Kentucky. Their Off. coor. Walter Wells has been compared to an early Steve Spurrier. We can't take them for Wyoming...I mean for granted.

chad_t31 writes:

First..wiener boy, you're an idiot. Florida won't beat anyone by 63, including us.

Second..I believe BB will have to pay back camp fees and serve a maximum 2 game suspension. The reason for the appeal is not because of a longer suspension. IMO, it's to show BB that the staff and administration fully support him and believe he did no wrong.

Of course this is all my opinion and speculation at this point. I know nothing to be true except my first point.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

Just a minor bump in the road. NCAA needs to get its chit together.

Sure appears to be a head game, to wait this late in the Summer.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

AMEN WITCH DOCTOR!!

GATORS GOING DOWN!!!!

madmax22 writes:

Hmmm, the NCAA has been looking into Reggie Bush's armature status for how many years now, but Bryce Brown hasn't played a game and they figured it out. Yeah right. I wonder with the money Nike spreads around how long before NCAA rules against a player of theirs ineligible. Uh never I am sure.

InertGas writes:

This will all be forgotten by mid September.

TommyJack writes:

The NCAA is an unmanageable bureaucracy rivaled only by the US Guvment.

xvolx writes:

the ncaa looks like they are trying to deny a kid with a 3.7gpa a better education. sounds like racial profileing to me. haven't read any reports of white kids being investigated. Maybe if he smoked dope or robbed convenience stores , he would have been considered a victim of his inviornment and this investigation would never have accurred. Maybe, he could attend UT on an Albert Means scholarship

10cvols writes:

What the HAY does this kangaroo sport court expect a typical fifteen year old to know about NCAA clearing house rulings anyway? The only thing I had on my mind at that age was T & A.

kman29 writes:

in response to Lostballnhighweeds:

lol! what, as the season gets closer you all get more confident that the Gators are going to lose to Tennessee or something? Let me know how that works out for you come 9/20.

kman29 writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

Your seriously kidding me right? Send him and email and let him know he is loved by the fans? What is he dying? lol! Please tell me you did not write him an email saying what you just said? Im sorry but if you really think that a 18 year old kid having a 2 game suspension warrants the "God never gives you more than you can handle" speach, then thats pretty sad. Come on man, you make it sound like he just found out he has cancer or his mom died. Those warrant the "God" speach. A 2 game suspension? Uh no! Its just a GAME with 18-22 year old kids.

Some peoples priorities are really scary.

kman29 writes:

in response to Lostballnhighweeds:

uh huh! Good for you man! You already have yourself scheduled and ready to come on here and post on 9/20. I have to apologize with the fact that I can't promise you the same. See unlike you Im not sitting around all day every day waiting to post. 9/20 I will be in Jacksonville for the Jaguars/Cardinals game. Thats after being at the Florida/Tennessee game the day before. Both days are full of tailgating and drinking all day. So I do have to apologize if on 9/20 I do not have my laptop in hand ready to respond no matter the out come. But again! good for you to be able to schedule yourself to be on here so far in advance.

kman29 writes:

in response to 1stAndGoal:

ThaiVolFan writes:

Here's an idea...punish Butler, not Brown and his family. Make Butler pay the money back since he was the root of the problem. Just an idea.
GBO!

cloudodust writes:

Gee, you mean Florida may not have any game tape on Brown until after 9.19..?

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

This really looks like a load of phooey from the NCAA... It really looks like a simple case of fundraising to go to camps... and to me, if he's not at UT right now, the worst punishment should be money paid back to whoever helped fund the trips... it shouldn't be taken out on Tennessee. I don't feel like this was anything of Bryce Brown's doing, I feel that he was an unaware bystander of something he could not have foreseen going wrong.

tennezz writes:

in response to kman29:

Some peoples priorities are really scary.

Gatorzz take your hat off when you use Meyer`s name, He`s a < LEGEND IN HIS OWN MIND > !!!

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

Still no answer. Guess if they can't try to stir up phooey, they don't talk. If UT wins on 9/19, that will end the gator trash on here...then we only have to hear tide trash until the 3rd weekend in October and then it ends.

BB was a big risk/big reward recruit. I have no doubt that the rewards will more than cover the risk.

tdforvols writes:

in response to kman29:

Some peoples priorities are really scary.

Kinda important like that speech etched in stone in Gainsville after a one point defeat.....lol

jack_2222#231746 writes:

in response to meyer200608:

UF (Urban's Felons) has got its hands too full with DA's and prosecutors for you to be worrying about this.

UTfan4life2 writes:

in response to 1stAndGoal:

AMEN my friend, AMEN.

GO VOLS!

Drain the swamp!

KINGKONG writes:

these advisor need 2 stop putting these young teenagers on such high pedalstool. those advisor need 2 stop dazing these youngster with all this glory.they lie to themselves so called loking out 4 there best interest but really living there dreams through them or seeking recgonition or when they turn pro looking for pay back .because of this attidude this so called advisor put brown in bad situation. NCAA do u know u r punishing a teenager that took some bad advice from an adult not a grown man that is suppose to make good decisions for himself its crazy.

Joevolsxtra writes:

in response to xvolx:

I saw Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton on campus today.

volfanNPa writes:

in response to Lostballnhighweeds:

Lets see. The gators have 11 starters back on defense. They are the NO 1 rated team in the polls. The game will be played in the swamp. If you don't win by at least 21 points to a team that is coming off a 5-7 year the gators don't deserve to be rated No 1 in the polls. So It looks like the gators have more to lose then the vols have to gain. Wonder what would happen if the gators are up by 28 points late in the 4th quarter and mr tebow gets hurt because they are trying to run up the score. And yes the gators will lose 16 starters after this year.

vol_chaz writes:

The more I see the UF trolls, the more i see how 'in their heads" we are. In actuality, they just want to taste what an undefeated season is like, something they have never done.

veinsoforange writes:

Nice factual, detailed, intellectual artical Dave Hooker. To bad your inferior co-worker JA can't even fathom putting together similar literature.

Go Vols, Go CLK, Go B.Brown, & Go Hamilton. UT Sports have rocked since the dawn of the Hamilton era.

No worries here or from Bones I would imagine!

aka - RiverRatt

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

What worries me about the troll situtation is this: we all know they are fair weather fans and jump on the best teams bandwagon...now, when UT is the dominating team in the SEC, that means all the lowlife trolls suddenly become VOL "fans". I am not sure we are ready for that.

KINGKONG writes:

the ncaa is the same people who ruined many historical football programs by giving the death penalty strict probation no post season no schloarships do u remeber?every thing is written in black or white with them they dont care for nobodies welfare.ncaa you r not protecting but u r ruining the greatest game on earth college football!!!!!!

allntl1#565211 writes:

Just found out today that my son cannot take a $4,000 dollar scholarship for a writing contest because he is getting $8,500 in athletic scholarship money. That sure would have helped with a $48,000 a year school. Thanks NCAA for keeping things honest. Go UM

10cvols writes:

"ah yeah! Lets see week 1 in practice: concussion. Week 3: hip injury. Think he will even make it to the actual games?"

kman,
Looks like you spend a lot of time on UT sites...must be pretty dull in your own house, huh?

Ironcity writes:

in response to kman29:

Not saying he is better then the players you mentioned. All I am saying is UF wouldn't really understand how UT intends to use him. Probably would not know if he is more of an inside runner or an outside runner.In fact if he hasn't played by then he more then likely will be an afterthought in UF's game planning. Personally, I hope Floria has lots of tape on him.

Cldvols1 writes:

in response to meyer200608:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I depict a sense of jealousy, mixed with a little bit of envy and a little strife thrown in. Worry about Tebow for one more year oscar meyer while we worry about BB for the next 4, maybe 3! Go Vols!!!

KINGKONG writes:

in response to 10cvols:

kman,

your on here writing stupid and dumd comments u must be bored 2 whats the matter the thunderstorm must not be letting you log on 2 your favorite porn site huh lol

tums writes:

So, a person is giving up their amateur status and face repayment or suspensions in college for hopping on a bus when he was 15 years old? Wow, the NCAA is clearly all for the student-athlete...

Ironcity writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED:

Actually what it means is some of our biggest loser fans with no life will troll their sites for a year everyday and night.