CB Bryant getting the word from UT freshman Edwards

Christian Bryant has a new source of information about Tennessee football.

Bryant, a 5-foot-10, 175-pound cornerback, is a former teammate of UT freshman cornerback Mike Edwards at Glenville High School in Cleveland, Ohio.

Bryant said he’s received positive reviews about UT since Edwards began practicing with the Vols on Aug. 3.

“He said the coaches want everybody to just feel wanted,” Bryant said. “I just thought, ‘Man, wow, that’s great.’ Just that the coaches are treating you like professional athletes so you can get ready for the (NFL).”

The NFL experience of UT’s coaching staff is standing out to Bryant.

He said that gives him confidence that UT’s staff would help him reach his full potential.

“They know what it takes to go to the next level, which would be the NFL,” Bryant said. “Their experience is good and that’s what I’m really looking at because I know they have produced some NFL players.”

Bryant is still waiting to see how UT produces on the field this fall.

Bryant said he plans to call Edwards regularly during the season to see what it’s like playing for the Vols.

“I know I can trust Mike,” Bryant said. “Him being a Glenville player I’m real close to, I’m going to take what he says into consideration.”

Bryant said he’s also considering Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, North Carolina and Virginia.

Ohio State is a strong draw because of the Buckeyes’ in-state popularity.

That’s why Bryant was proud to receive an offer from Ohio State during the spring.

“That’s good just because I’m from Ohio and I’ve been looking at Ohio State since I was in high school,” he said.

Bryant has seen his high school send plenty of players to Ohio State.

Glenville has produced a number of Buckeyes who have gone onto the NFL, including wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. (Miami Dolphins), quarterback Troy Smith (Baltimore Ravens) and safety Donte Whitner (Buffalo Bills).

Bryant said he’s heard different people tell him which college he should attend.

Only a few of the suggestions have registered.

“If it’s any regular person I just listen to it and forget about it,” Bryant said. “I listen to opinions of people that I’m close to but that’s about it.”

Bryant isn’t close to a final decision.

He said he wants to take all five official visits this fall before he chooses a school.

Bryant said he hasn’t selected dates for any of his visits.

Shirley said he will take his five official visits to out-of-state schools, although he hasn’t decided when he will take those visits.

Shirley said he plans to leave all eight schools on his list before he makes a final decision, but he said he might eliminate one school.

He said UT will “most likely” receive one of his official visits.

Running In Memphis: UT is showing interest in Memphis University School running back Keith McBride.

The 6-foot, 210-pound McBride told InsideTennessee.com he’s being recruited by UT defensive line coach Ed Orgeron.

UT hasn’t offered a scholarship to McBride, who holds official invitations from Duke and Army.

“Tennessee is waiting to watch some of my games this fall,” McBride told InsideTennessee.com. “They seem very interested; it’s great they are showing interest.”

McBride said he’s also receiving interest from Arkansas, Southern Miss and Northwestern.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

Would love to see a big orange hand in that Glenville cookie jar. Maybe the recent "success" Ohio State has had against the SEC could be that one last push he needs to realize that if he wants to play real football, he needs to come to the south.

bluetick writes:

Have we offered Bryant? I didn't hear his name before but who knows. I think in the future there will be many who want to attend UT and the coaching staff will be very particular as to who they offer (as though they aren't already). The signing class is filling up fast. If you are GREAT PLAYERS then better jump on this Rocky Top boat while you can.

Stark_Vol writes:

I'd love to get Shirley, let him wear the big 27 and just rock it for 3-4yrs

CaliVol2009 writes:

He's been looking at Ohio State since high school? Lol that sounds funny. Figured he would have been looking at playing at Ohio State since he was a little kid.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

"California Cut: Linebacker Josh Shirley from Kaiser High in Fontana, Calif., has narrowed his list of schools to eight.

The 6-3, 220-pound Shirley said he’s considering UT, Southern Cal, UCLA, Arizona, Notre Dame, Miami and Washington."

Not trying to nit-pick here or anything, but unless I forgot how to count overnight, that's only seven schools. Who's the eighth?

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

richvol writes:

Kiffin and Orgeron have us in on practically everyone that matters and I am sure we will get our share. This is impressive...

The one kid that I have seen that I would really like to see at Tennessee more than any other is Jeff Luc. What a beast...physically,he could start right now at linebacker for UT and he's still in high school.

CladnBigOrange writes:

has anyone heard anything on Cam Newton? I think he could come in and be a factor immediately.

SCarolinaVols writes:

in response to richvol:

Exactly...Heard that we lead with Luc, diff a beast.

ctownvol writes:

in response to supersmo18:

Exactly what I was thinking as well.

in response to supersmo18:

Could be just a mis-quote. Not like it hasn't happened before. Maybe he meant junior high school. Who cares as long as he is interested in the Vols!

DC_Vol writes:

in response to CladnBigOrange:

CladnBigOrange,

I understand we need to fill the QB position but this is not the guy to build our future UT program around.

Cam Newton has had several run ins with the law. He has been arrested for three counts burglary, larceny and obstruction of justice. Say what you like but this transfer does have issues. According to Florida sources close to the program he wasn't putting the study time needed to learn the offense. The word is he never grasped Myer's system. He also wasn't going to class or making the grades necessary to stay on the team. IF he wasn't going to class at Florida what makes anyone think he will go to class at Tennessee?

After her threw the stolen laptop out to get rid of the evidence he went and threatened to physically hurt the individual he stole the computer from. This guy only cares about himself, this is not a guy we want in the locker room with other good kids. He will destroy the chemistry of our team and interupt/distract the rebuilding process. The hardest thing for a coach to change is a bad attitude and this kid has a very bad attitude.

I believe, if we will be patient, we will definitely sign a highly touted four year starter from high school. Tyler Bray is coming for a vist in September and I believe he will find UT more attractive than San Diego State. I think Tyler Bray is one of the top three QB's out there. This would be a great addition to the UT program.

in response to DC_Vol:

CladnBigOrange,

Well, there is something to be said for a change in environment and the possibility of personal growth in a young man. Still, I pretty much agree with you. We have enough off-the-field issues with Bryce Brown's eligibility and all the flak we took for signing Daniel Hood. We don't need any more of that kind of hassle right now--or ever, really. That would just be one more thing for people to rag us about, justified or not.

VolFanNC writes:

in response to DC_Vol:

CladnBigOrange,

Completely agree with this post. I think you would find even the FL lopers would give you a good eval of him and say the same. Kid had a lot of potential, but didn't want to do the work. Would be pretty bad for team chemistry.

givehim6 writes:

All UT needs is a winning 2009 season, and a good bowl game win. And they will come. Of course a win over the UF wouldn't hurt either.

tractoronthepole writes:

Try this amazing fats, on Scouts Inside Tenness the top forty prospeds int the nation all 5 star and 4 star prspect in the top 40 ranked by Scout

Check this out:

3 Commited to UT
1 to USC
1 to Oklahoma

Of those 5 uncommitted

Hold on its comming wait for it.

35 have the vols on their short list. I can remember the VOls on almost every list. Of course proof in the the pudding, but watch out can any one tell me a time when that many prospects have the Vols on their short list. If saban can do it with cheaters hell we may win the NC and shock the world soon.

LaneTrain writes:

SCVOLS, where do you have that info on Luc? Luc=steroids, just look at him. Altho I would take him in a heart beat. :)

All news on him was a FLA lean, but the rumor is he silently committed to FSU this past month but won't announce till signing day.

Tractor, only one top 40 guy has committed to us??? Only recruit I want this year is A QB!! Rumblings is we may sway one from decommitting to bama.

LaneTrain writes:

Btw, Josh Ward, I'm glad you put in your article that this recruit was calling Edwards and not the other way around. Otherwise, that would be a NCAA VIOLATION, and they have sniffed around here enough.