Bryant says NFL ties a big plus for Vols

Christian Bryant has a new source of information about Tennessee football.

Bryant, a 5-foot-10, 175-pound cornerback, is a former teammate of UT freshman cornerback Mike Edwards at Glenville High School in Cleveland, Ohio.

Bryant said he's received positive reviews about UT since Edwards began practicing with the Vols on Aug. 3.

"He said the coaches want everybody to just feel wanted," Bryant said. "I just thought, 'Man, wow, that's great.' Just that the coaches are treating you like professional athletes so you can get ready for the (NFL)."

The NFL experience of UT's coaching staff is standing out to Bryant.

He said that gives him confidence that UT's staff would help him reach his full potential.

"They know what it takes to go to the next level, which would be the NFL," Bryant said. "Their experience is good and that's what I'm really looking at because I know they have produced some NFL players."

Bryant is still waiting to see how UT produces on the field this fall.

Bryant said he plans to call Edwards regularly during the season to see what it's like playing for the Vols.

"I know I can trust Mike," Bryant said. "Him being a Glenville player I'm real close to, I'm going to take what he says into consideration."

Bryant said he's also considering Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, North Carolina and Virginia.

Ohio State is a strong draw because of the Buckeyes' in-state popularity.

That's why Bryant was proud to receive an offer from Ohio State during the spring.

"That's good just because I'm from Ohio and I've been looking at Ohio State since I was in high school," he said.

Bryant has seen his high school send plenty of players to Ohio State.

Glenville has produced a number of Buckeyes who have gone onto the NFL, including wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. (Miami Dolphins), quarterback Troy Smith (Baltimore Ravens) and safety Donte Whitner (Buffalo Bills).

Bryant said he's heard different people tell him which college he should attend.

Only a few of the suggestions have registered.

"If it's any regular person I just listen to it and forget about it," Bryant said. "I listen to opinions of people that I'm close to but that's about it."

Bryant isn't close to a final decision.

He said he wants to take all five official visits this fall before he chooses a school.

Bryant said he hasn't selected dates for any of his visits.

Shirley said he will take his five official visits to out-of-state schools, although he hasn't decided when he will take those visits.

He said UT will "most likely" receive one of his official visits.

Running In Memphis: UT is showing interest in Memphis University School running back Keith McBride.

The 6-foot, 210-pound McBride told InsideTennessee.com he's being recruited by UT defensive line coach Ed Orgeron.

UT hasn't offered a scholarship to McBride, who holds official invitations from Duke and Army.

"Tennessee is waiting to watch some of my games this fall," McBride told InsideTennessee.com. "They seem very interested; it's great they are showing interest."

McBride said he's also receiving interest from Arkansas, Southern Miss and Northwestern.

Josh Ward is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bUTchVFL writes:

I like the Ohio pipeline we are forming. Lots of good players from that state. Maybe they are getting sick of the mediocrity in the big 10.

tdtnsee writes:

Wow I swear I read this on here just the other day. Slow day at the office, all else fails rerun the same story,we won't notice.....

RoadTrip writes:

in response to tdtnsee:

You are right, you did read this the other day. With Drew Edwards gone there is nobody left on weekends. Guess they all go to the lake.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

"California Cut: Linebacker Josh Shirley from Kaiser High in Fontana, Calif., has narrowed his list of schools to eight.

The 6-3, 220-pound Shirley said he's considering UT, Southern Cal, UCLA, Arizona, Notre Dame, Miami and Washington."

This article is a rehash, but I'll ask the same question I asked when it ran on Friday:

It still says Shirley is considering eight schools. Seven are listed--is the eighth a secret or what?

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

1963volfan writes:

Nope,I noticed also dejavoo slow day at the office i guess. GO VOLS

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

Edwards is gone? Where'd he go?

coxo921 (Inactive) writes:

Yeah no Kidding. I'm getting to where the only reason I check this site out is to get links to other papers/writers. My my how things have changed...maybe another couple years and KNS will be as obsolete to college football as the Tennessean has become.

doubledown writes:

A Few Ohio Players would be good. We're nice guys in Knoxville and know what we're doing.

mstanfor#611387 writes:

Yes, I love the fact that KNS can produce a fluuf piece on the Sullins twins, and run an exact repeat of an article that appeared Thursday, but ESPN broke the story that G Jones may be out for a month. Thanks KNS for once again letting Satans henchman Chris Low scoop you.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to coxo921:

That's pretty obsolete.

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

Edwards is gone? Where'd he go?

He started working for the UT Sports Information Office last week, I think. Bad time for the main KNS UT football beat writer to leave. Hey! Maybe now there is an opening for KNS to hire Wes Rucker of the Chattanooga Times-Free Press! Thanks to Bolivar Bob for turning me on to him; he is one of the best college football writers I have read in a long time.

rich182x writes:

Gosh dangit, how many time scan you put a spin on the same f'n story?

cobbwebb writes:

in other news, mike edwards is recruiting his former teammate,christian bryant from glenville high, in ohio! bryant likes the NFL experience of our coaches!

PoochPuntOn3rdDown writes:

Hopefully they'll run this again tomorrow. By Sunday, I had almost forgotten this article that they ran on Friday. By tomorrow, I'll be clueless once again...

Volunatic writes:

in response to VOLFORLIFE:

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

"Shirley said he plans to leave all eight schools on his list before he makes a final decision, but he said he might eliminate one school."

Maybe the one he is most likely to eliminate is the "secret" one that isn't listed.

DrWitch writes:

This guy could be huge if we get him!!!