DE Lemonier respects Vols' recent stand

Corey Lemonier has seen the Tennessee football program make waves in the state of Florida.

Lemonier, a 6-foot-4, 220-pound defensive end from Hialeah (Fla.) High School, took notice when UT signed wide receivers Nu'Keese Richardson and Marsalis Teague in February after they had committed to Florida.

That showed Lemonier that UT is ready to challenge the Gators.

"They're telling Florida that they're going to beat them this year," Lemonier said. "They're not a pushover this year."

UT has been a pushover to Florida recently, losing by a combined score of 89-26 the last two seasons.

Lemonier believes UT will have better results under new coach Lane Kiffin.

Lemioner said he was impressed when he read comments earlier this year by Kiffin calling out Florida coach Urban Meyer.

"That was positive," Lemonier said. "That's a good thing. They're not going to back down from a challenge."

Lemonier said he's intrigued by the challenge of playing for UT defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, who joined the Vols after coaching the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense for 13 years.

Lemonier pointed to the success Kiffin had coaching linebacker Derrick Brooks, defensive tackle Warren Sapp and cornerback Ronde Barber.

"If he made Sapp and Brooks and Ronde what they are, then the sky's the limit for me," said Lemonier, who's also considering Florida, Florida State, Miami, Illinois and Auburn.

Lemonier said he doesn't have a preference of whether he chooses an in-state school or not.

"It really doesn't matter," he said. "I treat them all the same."

Still, Lemonier hears plenty from Miami fans.

He pointed to a recent trip to a water park in Miami, which is about 20 minutes south of Hialeah.

"When I was going down a slide I turned my head and there were two guys looking at me throwing up the UM sign," Lemonier said. "I get a lot of those."

Lemonier said he plans to visit Florida State on Sept. 7 to watch the Seminoles play Miami.

He said he hasn't decided which schools he will visit officially this fall.

"I want to talk to the coaches more before I start narrowing them down," he said.

Open Recruitment: Cornerback Victor Hampton from Darlington (S.C.) High is no longer committed to Florida, according to ESPN.com.

The report says the 5-9, 170-pound Hampton is likely to consider UT and South Carolina.

Hampton, who visited UT last weekend, told InsideTennessee.com he was impressed with the Vols' staff.

"The Tennessee coaching staff is so outgoing and easy to talk to," he said. "Even the head coach is easy to talk to. They told me how I would fit into their plans and how important I am to what they are trying to build at Tennessee."

Decision Day: Wide receiver Kyle Prater from Proviso West High in Hillside, Ill., said he plans to announce his college decision on Wednesday.

The 6-5, 205-pound Prater visited UT on Aug. 1.

Prater also is considering Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Illinois. USC is thought to be the favorite to land Prater.

He told the News Sentinel after his visit to UT earlier this month the Vols' offense fits his style of play.

"Their offense is fluid," Prater said. "It just moves. It's a great offense that gets receivers the ball, and the offense is a pro-style offense to get you ready for the NFL."

Josh Ward is a freelance contributor.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

smashmouth98 writes:

that would be awesome if we land Prater

Reel them in!!!

GOBIGO72 writes:

Prater would bring the rest - lock, stock and barrel.

LiveFaith writes:

What's Monte planning for next year? A 7-0 defense. We've DEs coming out of the woodwork it appears.

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

If I had to show the UM sign, I would throw up too.

golfballs03 writes:

Whoa! These guys are huge! Lemonier is BIG TIME, and Prater! Hampton, that is a surprise. I think this staff still has some tricks up their sleeve. I wouldn't rule out a big time QB in this class just yet. There is a lot of time left.

CLEMSONVOL716WASBANNED writes:

The Hampton kid is one we need to be cautious about. He is in his 3rd school in 3 years after reportedly being dismissed from the others. He is now in Darlington, SC about 15 miles from my home, maybe I will get a chance to see him play, if not, I have friends from Darlington who can give me some info.

chrisw2967 writes:

I guess the trolls will say , Hampton would of never seen the field and is to slow and he really isnt A 4*. either way hes not wanting to be a gayfer.

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

Prater is in USC's pocket. We can dream though. Maybe he and Scroggins get tight and we pull the ol' double whammy... ala Teague & Nuke.

Volfan615 writes:

Where is marc_ash when you need him?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

"Lemonier believes UT will have better results under Kifin".

So do we, young man.

So do we.

How many days, Ashley?

Cyclopskiller writes:

8 days turkish!

ChattaVegasVol writes:

in response to LiveFaith:

Monte and Orgeron are speed freaks! They will turn alot of these d ends into d tackles. Our future d ends are probably playing linbacker in high school right now. We got the need. . .the need for speed! Go Vols!!!

buxavol writes:

Barkley just named starter at USC. Wonder if Scroggins is concerned he'll sit for 3 years before getting his shot to play? Might he want to come to The Hill to start much sooner?!

in response to ChattaVegasVol:

Exactly. It's easier to add bulk to naturally fast guys than it is to add speed to naturally big guys. Under a major-college S&C regimen, the added weight will be muscle which will have minimal impact on speed. If you want to reshape a big guy's body, you usually have to break him down to get rid of the extra fat before you build him back up with leaner muscle. In the process, he may lose strength at first along with whatever speed he had, so it may be a couple of years before the guy is really ready to play in a scheme that values speed over sheer bulk.

DC_Vol writes:

Wow,

I love this new staff. The NFL experience seems to really be speaking to the kids. We seem to have so much interest from top level recruits. In all my years, I cannot remember anything close to the agressiveness we have seen during this recruiting season. We are really competing with Florida, Georgia and Alabama for the top talent in the country. I am amazed at the kids in Florida who are talking about us so positively. The UT message of preparing the kids for the next level has resulted in many successful recruits already Nukeese, Teague, and Ambles. I am really excited about the future of Tennessee football!!!

lildhoss76ut#638162 writes:

Our team speed should be incredible in the coming years.GO VOLS!!!

dw0731 writes:

in response to buxavol:

Scroggins would be crazy to sit for 3 years. What would happen to his draft position if gets to start only 1 year and gets injured?

murrayvol writes:

in response to smashmouth98:

that would be awesome if we land Prater

Reel them in!!!

That would be a miracle if we land Prater.

murrayvol writes:

in response to golfballs03:

When true frosh Barkley was handed the keys at USC, that sent a message to J. Scroggins - "Thou shalt wander in the wilderness for at least 3 years. No snaps for you."

Then again, riding in a Cadillac may appeal to him. Worked for Matt Cassel.

1974Vol writes:

in response to murrayvol:

Then again, riding in a Cadillac may appeal to him. Worked for Matt Cassel.

Doubt Scroggins moves as his family basically made the decision for him. They want him close enough to see him play. Apparently 12 long trips a year for the fam to see him play is a bit much for the budget. We can all understand that. Hope I am wrong - go get him coach O!

PlaidinOrangeandWhite writes:

Scroggins would only have to sit 2 years and only one if he red-shirts as he is a senior in high school right now. Barkley would most likely go pro after his junior year if he started three years at USC. But I am right there with you, come to Rocky Top Jesse!

PlaidinOrangeandWhite writes:

Rated #92 on ESPN's top 150, here is there take on Lemonier:

Lemonier is a defender, who is capable of leaving blockers and ball carriers feeling bitter. Right off the bat, the kid impresses you with his physical size. He is a well put together prospect with ideal height and while he appears on film to be a pretty muscular kid already, he should be able to add more good bulk. He displays good quickness off the ball. He has a nice reach and uses his hands. Against the run, he will bring them to maintain some separation from the blocker. He works to play with good pad level and can shed from blocks. You would like to see him more forcefully engage blockers at the point of attack at times and not just bring his hands, but shoot them and generate power from his lower body. Displays a solid feel for the game and does a good job of reading blocks and being able to squeeze down and stay square. He is a solid wrap-up tackler, but will attack ball carriers high. The kid can move and is capable of stretching plays and running them down. He seems a bit high-cut and is at his best when he can stay square and react. He can be troublesome off the edge with his size, quickness and reach. Will flash the ability to attack the shoulder and can use his weapons to knock down the blocker's hands and clear. He is also able to turn into the blocker and bull rush his way back. Lemonier is a very good prospect that brings some good natural tools to the table. In flashes, he reminds us some of 2009 end prospect Sam Montgomery. He is probably further along physically, but maybe not as naturally fluid. Either way, Montgomery was a fine end prospect and so is Lemonier.

SHAWVOL writes:

gotta love the kiffin he and his staff are kicking but and taking names looks like florida's days are numbered

VolinCalif writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

"Lemonier believes UT will have better results under Kifin".

So do we, young man.

So do we.

How many days, Ashley?

pd
I'm not the keeper but I like to be opt. AS I see it , there is only 7 days BETWEEN now and game day.

givehim6 writes:

What I think is awesome is these top recruits are looking at UT in the same way as the big school as the place to go.

oldsmokey67 writes:

I think we have a shot to land kyle prater.evryone seem's to think he is a lock for SC.If he goes to SC there are 3-4 more wideouts with tennessee high on their list.Just my opinion.GO VOLS!!!!!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

pd

Thanks for the heads up. Ashley did a great job quite a while back.

But sadly he vanished into the hinterland.

GerryOp shows signs of handling the job.

10volunteers98 writes:

Even if we don`t get Prater or Scrogg,we are still in the running for Cobbs and Tyler Bray.I say we already have Cobbs.He loves everything about the Vols.The Vols are on the way back.Can`t wait `til next Saturday!GO,VOLS!!!

rclarkvols#224537 writes:

I bet Mitch Mustain wishes he had stayed at Arkansas.

jerseydevilvol writes:

There was a article on DeMarco Cobbs on rivals sayin that he had a clear favorite. Im not a rivals subscriber, but if anyone on this board is could you please post the link. All I got was the teaser article.

TunnelHillVol writes:

in response to LiveFaith:

I agree! It appears we need Linemen and linebackers not to mention a QB.My guess is Tyler Bray is gonna be a Vol

TunnelHillVol writes:

in response to ChattaVegasVol:

Good post,make a lot of sense!

smokey308 writes:

in response to jerseydevilvol:

This is the Cobbs article off of Rivals:

Tulsa (Okla.) Central athlete DeMarco Cobbs is getting ready for his senior season just like every other Class of 2010 prospect, and he's spending his time away from the field and classroom figuring out how to narrow down his list.

It was a productive summer for the 6-foot-1, 198-pound prospect. Cobbs feels good about his preparation for his senior year, as well as his team's preparation. He's ready to get the season kicked off.

"We've got previews next Thursday and Friday," Cobbs told TigerBait.com in a recent interview. "It's bracket play and everything. There will be about eight or ten schools going through a bracket, trying to see who meets in the championship. We'll just go from there. Then we begin the season the week after that.

"I'm feeling real confident about the team. We're ranked number five in the state and we didn't lose anybody, really. I think we'll make a run this year. I took on more of a leadership role last year and I'll have an even stronger leadership role this year. We're definitely an experienced (team), but we have some young guys that can make plays, too."

Cobbs' most recent visit was to Knoxville to see what the Volunteers have to offer. He was so impressed on that trip that he decided to stay an extra night in Tennessee.

"I enjoyed myself out there," he recalled. "I really enjoyed it. I still feel the same way about the school now that it's been a little while."

The talented member of the Rivals250 confirmed that his three favorites are Tennessee, LSU and Alabama, but admitted he is still seriously considering Florida, Georgia, and the in-state power, Oklahoma.

What is it about those three schools that has them in such an enviable position?

"Well, I guess it's the type of relationship I have with the coaches I suppose. The visits, too. I just enjoyed my visits there. They were just unofficials but I enjoyed myself. I'm gonna take some officials but I haven't set any up yet."

Though LSU is one of the schools with the inside track for Cobbs, he said he hasn't spoken to any of the coaches from the school recently.

"I haven't talked to coach McCarthy recently. It's been about two weeks," he said. "I've been taking a little break (from recruiting). I'll get back on it when I'm ready to take visits. That all depends on my football schedule."