Ex-Vol, Pigeon Forge assistant football coach, charged with soliciting player

Josh Briscoe

Photo by Paul Efird

Josh Briscoe

An attorney hired to represent a former University of Tennessee football player-turned-high school coach said today that his client believes he is innocent of any wrongdoing.

Joshua Briscoe, 23, who was coaching at Pigeon Forge High School, was arrested this morning on a charge he solicited a sexual favor from a 15-year-old member of the team.

Briscoe’s attorney, Joe Baker, said this afternoon that his client plans to fight the charge in court.

“He adamantly denies the allegation and looks forward to clearing his good name in court,” Baker said. “Josh has been involved in a lot of leadership roles and activities and is a fine young man.”

Baker declined to comment on specific details of the case.

Briscoe, who lives in Pigeon Forge, surrendered to officers with the Pigeon Forge Police Department to face a charge of solicitation of a minor by an authority figure.

Briscoe was released from jail after posting a $7,500 bond. He is scheduled to appear Sept. 21 in Sevier County General Sessions Court.

Briscoe is accused of sending an inappropriate text message to a member of the Pigeon Forge High School football team, according to court records. Briscoe allegedly sent the message Aug. 20.

“You owe me a lil action for going off like that,” the message stated and then suggested a particular sexual favor.

“This statement directly places Mr. Briscoe stating that (the player) owed Mr. Briscoe a sexual favor for ‘going off,’” PFPD Investigator Rene Kendall wrote in a report.

Kendall said today that he speculates the “going off” comment referred to “some kind of attitude” the player exhibited that Briscoe witnessed.

Kendall said his investigation hasn’t uncovered any other improper conduct between Briscoe and the player.

“There is no indication of anything other than what I’ve reported between them,” Kendall said.

Court records show that as a condition of Briscoe’s release from jail he is to have no contact with the victim or the victim’s family and he must stay away from the victim’s home or “any other location where the victim is likely to be.”

Briscoe was in his first year as an assistant coach at Pigeon Forge High School, according to Debra Cline, spokeswoman for Sevier County Schools.

Cline said Briscoe resigned Tuesday.

“He was a teacher assistant and assistant football coach at Pigeon Forge High School,” Cline wrote in a press release. “The Sevier County School System is working closely with the Pigeon Forge Police Department as they continue an investigation.”

Briscoe lettered at UT from 2005-2008. He caught 79 passes for 866 yards and eight touchdowns in his career. He had five career starts.

His best season was in 2007 when he snagged 56 passes, including six touchdowns.

He was active in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and earlier this year blogged about his training regimen for a possible shot at pro football at govolsextra.com, the News Sentinel’s Web site devoted to UT sports.

Briscoe was recruited to UT from Lawndale, N.C.

Staff writer J.J. Stambaugh and sports writer Mike Strange contributed to this report.

More details as they develop online and in Friday’s News Sentinel.

More details as they develop online and in Friday's News Sentinel.

Sports writer Mike Strange contributed to this report.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

golfballs03 writes:

gross

VolunteerLifer writes:

Yikes

GreerVol22 writes:

Scary stupid.

Bigger_Al writes:

Fiddle faddle...

CRFVols writes:

Wow. I wonder what the other side of the story is.

mdvol writes:

You'll be getting all the "action" you want in the slammer.

AceVentura writes:

I think it was a joke. Me and my buddy Ray Finkle always joke about stuff like that. OMG Finkle is Einhorn, Einhorn is Finkle.

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

Complete loser on the field and complete sick freak off of it.

ctownvol writes:

Buzz off DeltaCharlie. You have ruined this site.

cmoore7 writes:

CoverOrange writes:

Technically, not solicitation. Probably charge will be dropped but damage to his career (if you call it that) has been done. Will flip burgers from now on.

Seems to have been a rash of HS coaches approaching students/athletes in the last year or so. A few here in Ohio were sentenced recently.

When did Pigeon Forge get a HS? What's their mascot?

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie:

What kind of moron thinks 'jaywalking' is a felony?

Mr_Brownstone writes:

he'd be right in place with all the pedophiles in florida, except that he's not a killer and the victim wasn't under the age of 10.

florida "the sunshine (uh hum) pedophile state"

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

volzcrushm writes:

IS THIS THE NEW TENNESSEE GOSSIP COLUMN??

chargervol writes:

Didn't Dolly Parton go to school at Pigeon Forge H.S.? I was a sales rep for an educational book company and have been to several schools in a lot of states. I can remember where the school she attended is located, but, not sure if it was P.F.H.S.. Anywho, this isn't good. Briscoe was in a position of leadership and guidance. Whatever the case, he will be hard pressed to have another role of authority in society. Let's get to kickoff against W. Kentucky. I want to watch football, not F.Y.I.. GO VOLS!!!

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

Hey KNS you conveniently left out that he's a former employee of yours. Guess that makes you all look as bad has you protray UT because of actions of EX players.

Probably should have titled his blog Destination Jail. That would have been more aaaropriate the Destination NFL.

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

appropriate, got the a key stuck.

BDaws writes:

I personally know Josh and his family. They are an upstanding group of people and I was really shocked to hear this. A good friend of mine, who is a lawyer in NC, got Briscoe off on some stuff in high school but I never asked what it was. This is crazy to me and something just doesn't smell right. When I read the text I was thinking it was referring to making him do laps or run stairs or something, not sex! Good luck Josh and I hope this isn't true.

Waldorf writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie:

What's wrong?

Your son not home from school yet so you can make him dance around in his Tebow underwear?

BDaws writes:

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie:

there you go again. misrepresenting the facts. all the people you mentioned are currently NOT on the University of Tennessee Football roster nor were they when they commited the crimes you are eluding to. goodrich was a cowboy; stallworth was a dolphin; henry was part of many nfl teams; haynesworth was a titan; and little a ram when these crimes were committed. i can't think of any player on the UT roster that is CURRENTLY facing criminal charges. most the the flar-duh perps discussed here were on UFs roster when the crime was committed.

i'll stop with this before you threaten to assault me with a D cell battery as you have before. now, who's the thug?

back to the subject. i hope the truth comes out of this and justice is served.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to AceVentura:

laces open?

kevin151 writes:

I'm a UT fan and some of you on this site will never be objective. UT definately has character issues with current players, and players from the past. You are being nieve if you can't see that. With that being said, I still pull for them week in and week out.

Jeremy7679 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

When did Pigeon Forge get a HS? What's their mascot?

Pigeon Forge has had a high school since about 2000 or so. The mascot is the Tigers. The head coach is Lee Hammonds, son of long time Gatlinburg-Pittman coach Benny Hammonds.

Jeremy7679 writes:

in response to chargervol:

No, if I'm not mistaken Dolly Parton attended Sevier County High School. Pigeon Forge HS didn't exist until 1999.

I live in Pigeon Forge but I had no idea Briscoe was living here and on staff at PFHS.

LiveFaith writes:

Bearwuzacheater writes:

in response to AceVentura:

Laces Out Dan Marino, Laces Out!

Volsnfl writes:

LiveFaith writes:

in response to long_vol:

So ignoring the criminal reality makes more sense, huh? Do so at your (our) own peril.

bigorange61 writes:

That's right. Shift the blame to a University, Fulmer, Meyer, Saban, or whoever. Just don't hold the player responsible the bad choices he made.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

Lots of comments removed.... but worst case scenario, let it be known that Josh Briscoe was indeed a jerk to other UT students!

ctownvol writes:

in response to DonCorleone:

From DeltaCharlie to DonCorleone? Really? Grow up kid. Once upon a time you were dang near entertaining. Then you went straight to annoying. Now you're just stupid.

InertGas writes:

This just makes me feel awful for everyone involved. You really have to be careful what you say to or around minors, or anyone else for that matter. It's best to not say anything you wouldn't want your mother to hear.

ChattaVegasVol writes:

These are the type of players that ran our program into the ground along with CPF!!!

panties4tebow writes:

in response to chargervol:

I think Dolly went to Sevierville High School.

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

in response to panties4tebow:

I think Dolly went to Sevierville High School.

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!

Sevier County High School actually... I believe she was a "Sevier County Smoky Bear"

chargervol writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

You are right, it was Sevier Co.. There are alot of schools around the Knoxville and Sevier Co.. I would usually ask the principal from a school to tell me where the next school would be and which was the best way to get there. Road construction or other route problems usually were avoided by this. Hopefully, this is just a misunderstanding, but, he has already been tried by public opinion. We don't know the whole story yet, but, it doesn't look good for Briscoe. How many weeks, days, hours, minutes, seconds till kickoff. I'm ready to get the season under way, and start talking about football game happenings, not football ifs, ands or buts. GO VOLS!!!

BSweet writes:

If the allegations are true, then he is a sick individual who deserves the max punishment the law will allow. For his sake, hopefully they turn out to be false. Of course, if it does work out that they're false, the damage has already been done, because even unfounded allegations will ruin you in the education field. No one wants to take that chance.

99PairsOfJortsOnTheWall writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie:

I totally agree with you FelcherCharlie. Not only in good hands with Lane, but even better when you add Monte, Ed, Chaney etc.

CRFVols writes:

Man, what's with all the former UT players screwing up. It's like tradition with some of our guys. Jamal Lewis to Dante Stallworth....now this. One thing after the other.

PoochPuntOn3rdDown writes:

He's innocent until proven guilty, people...

Something doesn't seem right about this situation. I'll reserve judgement until more if the story is revealed. Remember, you are all reacting to a story on KNS.

richvol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

When did Pigeon Forge get a HS? What's their mascot?

The mascot symbol...a cheap motel.

Blue_VOL18 writes:

murrayvol writes:

in response to DonCorleone:

Nice touch. Support thine own self DC.

murrayvol writes:

Allegations have been made. Nothing proven.

A school teacher I know was accused by three girls of sexual misconduct. Totally untrue but it took several months and a helluva toll on his family before they finally told the truth.

Think I'll keep my powder dry until the investigation runs it's course.

CoachFulmer writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

Complete loser on the field and complete sick freak off of it.

Your a joke man. I hope you don't think your a Vol fan.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to kevin151:

It's definitely not definately and you're naive to think it's nieve.

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to BSweet:

I agree..if true...this is gross. If not, it is embarrassing to even be involved and completely unfortunate because allegations like these tend to stick with you.

Should be easy to prove though....if this text came from Briscoe's phone....seems pretty cut and dry and not hard to find the truth.

LiveFaith writes:

Passing no judgment based on a news article. But reading the text itself could have some wiggle room. No pun intended.

** “You owe me a lil action for going off like that,”** ... ** the message stated and then suggested a particular sexual favor. **

Assume that JB uses filthy language regularly with this teen player and others. This deserves some sort of punishment alone. Nevertheless, guys especially teens to early 20s use perverted sexual phrases toward one another a lot. They do it in jest and as "put down" to the others. The repulsive nature of the phrase / put down is designed to embarrass the other, and certainly not actually some invitation to the act itself.
It seems a plausible possibility here knowing how boys & young men jest in our culture.
Not saying this is what happened, but according to the report, no other incidences are known. This kid and maybe 1 or 2 others goes in court and says they spoke like this in jest all the time. Briscoe gives the same story, the parents says they saw the text and forwarded to authorities who had no choice but to act. If this is the only incident and evidence, then Briscoe walks.
Just a thot.