Freshman Jackson bracketed with Rogan as starter at free safety

Marsalis Teague on the freshman crew, video games and smooth R&B

As blue-chip recruits, they heard the same refrain, the same recruiting pitch:

Come to (Fill in the Blank University) and we'll give you a chance to play right away.

"Sometimes you hear that from coaches,'' said Marsalis Teague, "and you're like, 'Maybe they're just telling me that.'

"You can clearly vouch for this program right now. That was definitely true.''

The program Teague chose was Tennessee. When the Vols open the season Saturday against Western Kentucky (TV: MyVLT2, 12:21 p.m.), Teague and a posse of his rookie teammates will see the field.

A number of them will see the field in a prominent role.

One, safety Janzen Jackson, might be starting. In something of a surprise depth chart first-year UT coach Lane Kiffin released prior to game week, Jackson is bracketed with junior Dennis Rogan as a starter at free safety.

Jackson, in fact, did start the Vols' final preseason scrimmage on Saturday.

"That was a big recruiting pitch,'' said Jackson. "He kept his word.

"He promised me I'd get a chance to start. I've got my chance.''

Four true freshmen are bracketed with veterans as starters: Jackson, cornerback Mike Edwards, running back Bryce Brown and nose tackle Montori Hughes.

In addition, Teague, Nu'Keese Richardson or Zach Rogers could start at receiver, depending on this week's practice and what formation the offense opens in against the Hilltoppers.

Richardson and David Oku are also projected starters in the return game.

Two more, linebacker Greg King and safety Darren Myles, are listed as second-teamers.

"I thought we signed a number of players who would have significant roles as freshmen for us,'' Kiffin said. "With injuries, that's become more significant, especially at the receivers.

"That's good. It's good for competition and I think it shows these guys have worked really hard.''

Jackson finished preseason camp rising with a bullet.

A highly regarded prospect from Lake Charles, La., Jackson was a late signee who saw a chance to shine early. Still, he hadn't been working much with the No. 1 secondary.

"In preseason game three (Aug. 22) he was phenomenal on defense and he was the best special-teams player,'' Kiffin said, explaining the promotion.

Jackson is ticketed for heavy special-teams work, in addition to his role in the secondary.

He said the game began to come to him once he got a grip on defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin's playbook.

"There are a lot of things going into playing a Kiffin defense,'' Jackson said. "The hardest thing was learning the playbook.''

At least he had a helpful tutor, for matters on and off the field: All-American Eric Berry.

"He's kind of like a big brother out there,'' Jackson said. "And every time he talks, I've got my ears open. I don't speak when he's speaking.''

If Berry is the present of UT's secondary, guys like Jackson, Myles, Edwards and corner Eric Gordon are the future.

Jackson and Myles are kindred spirits as well as roomies.

"I love the way he plays,'' Jackson said. "He comes down with a vengeance.''

Edwards, whom the Vols snatched out of Cleveland, Ohio, has been one of the pleasant surprises of the class.

"Mike impressed me the most out of all the freshmen,'' said Jackson. "He's on the smaller side but he comes up and no matter how big the back is, he ain't afraid to make the tackle.''

Gordon, meanwhile, "always finds his way to the ball,'' Jackson said. "I think he's got three or four picks this camp.''

Kiffin and the staff have taken every extra measure to get the freshmen up to speed for opening day.

"He practically forced you to be comfortable with it,'' said Teague, "throwing you in there with the ones and twos when we first got here. It's almost like second nature to us.''

It was also the recruiting promise.

"He told us, 'It's up to you,' '' said King, " 'I'm going to give you the shot. You've got to take it and run with it.'

"He's true to his word. The freshmen just came to play.''

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Lawd, the old charts must be gone.

Think I'll look on Ebay to see if they surface.

Good luck, youngsters.

Volstate writes:

Great article. This should help with recruiting for sure. Kiffin is a man of his word and that should interest some prized recruits who want to play right away (and who doesn't?). Nevermind that last question. Scroggins doesn't want to. He'd rather sit for 3 years. There's always an exception to the rule....

Cldvols1 writes:

Strap em on boys, your in a big time college program at UT now! Go Vols!!!

bUTchVFL writes:

Makes me think of what Jamal Lewis could have done his first year. It's a new era. Go Vols!

ThaiVolFan writes:

I'm liking the sound of this....it's game week boys!
GBO!

ThaiVolFan writes:

I'm looking for this game against the Hilltoppers to be the perfect initiation game for our new squad along with the new freshmen. Then for the UCLA game to be the needed next step up in the direction of fine tuning against better talent as we prepare for our trip to the swamp. I really think these first two games will prove to be ideal in our preparation for Florida. Our freshmen will have gained a much needed game confidence along with a continued adjustment to the speed of the game. I'm ready to watch it unfold.
GBO!

cloudodust writes:

It's almost time to beat on somebody other than ourselves. Let's smack 'em in the mouth..! Go Vols

Vols033 writes:

I wonder if you will see any headlines on ESPN about "freshmen recruits thrilled with Kiffin keeping his word". Probably not since they are infatuated with making him look like a moron. Also glad to see Art Evans on the field as a starter. We were all told last year by Eric Berry that he was the best cover corner on the team, yet he never saw any playing time on the field. I'm so glad the pumpkin is gone. Go Vols!!!

rich182x writes:

BTW: Im in Korea, is there a site that will stream the games to me? I gotta watch some football!! Of course, espn360.com is blocked so I need some other options! Anything good?

NobodyCares (Inactive) writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Lawd, the old charts must be gone.

Think I'll look on Ebay to see if they surface.

Good luck, youngsters.

While you're looking for the charts on eBay, see if you can find any of Fulmer's green jerseys.

geniuspearl writes:

in response to bUTchVFL:

We couldn't play Lewis early. The risk was too high. Might have lost to Florida...

Voluvr writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Lawd, the old charts must be gone.

Think I'll look on Ebay to see if they surface.

Good luck, youngsters.

Kinko's probably still has a copy they might fax over to you. Did we ever change anything after Florida got our playbook?

Voluvr writes:

in response to bUTchVFL:

Very true. Usually, it was that we couldn't play them because they couldn't pick up the blocking assignments. Sounds like a coordinator problem to me especially when other teams Freshmen are scoring TD's on us.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

here's to hoping a few more top offensive linemen take note. Especially the James Stone, T.J. Leifheit, Damien Robinson types.

bluetick writes:

I've seen a few websites now that say "Vols could start 5 true freshmen" or something like that. Imagine how that is going to echo into the recruiting circles. It is music to their ears and goes to show that Kiffin is true to his word. Surely can't hurt anything in the future.

MidTennVol writes:

I'm with you, BlueTick: this is absolutely the best recruiting tool imaginable -- starting true freshmen. Let the word go forth...

All you hotshot HS juniors and seniors out there: ARE YOU GOOD ENOUGH TO COME AND START AT TENNESSEE AS A FRESHMAN?

MidTennVol writes:

in response to rich182x:

Hi, Rich -- I'm in Denmark and have been fighting that fight for years. What's available to us all depends on who's broadcasting in the US (CBS, Jefferson-Pilot, ESPN, SEC Network, nobody, etc.) and what deal they have.

Game weeks, I always start with Yahoo Sports (small subscription) and the UT sports website.

Both always have free audio and sometimes have links to video. You just have to snoop around.

I've found that I can never get video from CBS All-Access Sportsline (attached to UTsports.com) but can sometimes get it from ESPN360.

Oftentimes, I just have to settle for audio of Kesling. Better than nothing. Good luck.

garycg writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

Try channelsurfing.net guys

99gator writes:

they are starting for several reasons.....none of which is because kiffin promised them.

1. they're good.
2. what's at tennessee and isn't a freshman isn't good.
3. injuries

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

Somewhere in Jackson Hole, WY with 6+ million in the bank, CFP is choking on a biscuit (OK, several biscuits) after seeing the opening day roster.

dvhill100 writes:

LK has certainly kept his word about giving everyone a clean slate to earn a starting position. It cannot do anything but good for the recruiting. On a cautionary note, a general rule of thumb is you stand to lose one game for every freshman you start. That is probably outdated given the talent and training today's HS athletes have and receive, but a freshman is still a novice in the next level. Having said that, I think it will be a much better product this year and we'll get to a bowl. REALLY, REALLY looking forward to this Saturday. GBO.

rockytopman writes:

Sweet....they'll be some learning curves to deal with, but we as fans have to stay patient. These guys are gonna be beasts....

DennisVols writes:

"It was also the recruiting promise."

"He's true to his word. The freshmen just came to play.''

This rings volumes for this staff and will be the driving force in rebuilding the talent level soon rather than later.
Keeping it Real
Go Vols!!!

10volunteers98 writes:

To me,all these freshmen starting says a lot about the quality of recruits this new staff goes after.Not to take anything away from the players we already had,but I believe this new staff will be MUCH better at evaluating talent than Fulmer was.And they will get the most out of the talent that comes to Tennessee.This was something that the old coaching staff was never able to do.GO,VOLS!!!

rockytop#413695 writes:

in response to 99gator:

1. they're good.
2. what's at tennessee and isn't a freshman isn't good.
3. injuries

No one said Kiffin "promised them they would start"! Just promised them the opportunity and it was up to them. They took advantage of this. With many programs (ie.,UT last regime)freshman are barely looked at until they "get down the blocking schemes", ie. Jamal Lewis. So your first point is wrong. Your first reason is however, correct. They are good! Your second reason is wrong as well. I agree, the depth is not there at all positions, but I'll take most of Tennessee's starters on defense over most teams in the country including your gators. Tell Eric Berry, Chris Walker, Art Evans, Dennis Rogan, Brent Vinson, they are not very good. You're third point is correct. If not for the injuries at Wide Reciever, a couple of those freshmen might not be starting. So, the point is, Kiffin promised true freshmen an opportunity and he kept his promise. Go Vols!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to NobodyCares:

No luck so far, but I did find a copy of "Clap As You Go Under" by Dupree.

In Antiques section.

jsm67vol writes:

in response to 99gator:

1. they're good.
2. what's at tennessee and isn't a freshman isn't good.
3. injuries

Agree with 1 and 3 but 2 is very questionable. One of the strengths of the returning team this year was the depth in the def. backfield. Granted we had to get rid of some slackers ie Morley but Rogan, Vinson, Evans and of course, need I even mention Berry, all possess SEC talent. The frosh that have earned some playing time in the secondary must be exceptionally good. Though you can't tell from last years performance, there are some talented receivers returning from last year. But you are correct, injuries force UT to give some guys PT early while others heal. But once they do heal, we will have added some depth by getting these frosh some game experience. if you are looking at what players did last season, then #2 is correct. But I can't believe you really believe our returning players won't be much better than last year. If thats true, I hope the entire gator nation thinks that too! You guys will be in for a big surprise.

chargervol writes:

I'm glad these freshmen are going to get snaps early and often. I do believe they are good, but, injuries have propelled them up the depth charts,too. This will help with overall team depth. One question for you Vol fans. Wonder what Je'Ron Stokes is thinking about now? He signed with Michigan in the eleventh hour over the Vols. He may have got some reps at WR, wouldn't you think? Its obvious he didn't mind putting in the extra practice. Anywho, GO VOLS!!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Good link, BB.

doubledown writes:

I would imagine we won't have a JV team this year, most of the Freshmen are playing 1 or 2 in the depth chart.

Have a good game week everyone!

TommyJack writes:

Don't recall going to a 12:20 game. Do the gin-mills on the strip open early? (asking for PD Huff) :)

notoriousBIGorange writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie:

You're just upset because Nukeese was already slated to take Percy Harvin's place at UF and start AS A FRESHMAN until CLK stole him away.
FEAR THE KIFFIN!

golfballs03 writes:

I love it!

Volin68 writes:

12:20 Saturday me and 100,000 of my closest friends are gonna play a little football and listen to Rocky Top!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to Voluvr:

We are still studying film.

And apparently have noticed that freshman are now elgible.

It is football time in Tennessee.

DC_Vol writes:

in response to rockytop#413695:

Great post! I couldn't agree more or have stated any better. People continue to assume because we were 5-7 last year that there is no or very little talent at UT. According to Scout.com, UT's recruiting classes 2005-2009 ranked 1, 24, 4, 35, and 8. This tells me there are a lot of talented players on Tennessee that just need to be coached to succeed. I believe Kiffin and coaches have already shown a more competitive camp with several players talking about learning more about football in the short time with these coaches than ever before. I expect us to surprise some opponents this year!!! Go Vols!!!

VolFanNC writes:

Really looking forward to this year. WKU will hopefully get these guys experience. UCLA will hopefully build on it then the trip to the swamp.

I like how everyone has written UT off this year as an after thought. 2 years removed from an SEC Championship game. We also lose they guy who had to worst luck on fumbles that I have ever seen. We also were a good kicker away from an 8 win season even with the lousy offense.

I guess we all have to see for ourselves that Crompton is better and that we really are going to run the ball, but the D should be nasty.

These guys really seem to have at least good chemistry right now.

zerahgibson#254155 writes:

Hey fellow Big Orange fans, maybe it's just me but I am just a little ambivalent about so many freshmen being listed so high on our depth chart. While I agree that so many underclassmen playing early will no doubt help recruiting in the future, you gotta wonder how a team that relies on so many true freshmen will fare in the best conference in college football. Granted, there have been some recent success stories, mostly at the skill positions (Harvin, Green, Jones) but no team in the SEC in recent memory has started as many fresh out of high school players as we're projecting and had any success. As talented as they are, it's probably too much wishful thinking to expect these guys to match the strength, speed, and toughness of the upper tier conference teams on our schedule this year. I had the opinion that we had talent on the team last year that could compete for championships, they just needed to be coached up. But considering the way the new guys are rising, maybe I was wrong. Just sayin'. Anyways, let's tee it up and get it on. GO VOLS!!!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

TJ, being a known teetotaler, will be on Cumberland selling replica axes of his great-grandmother Carrie Nation.

Sponsored by Killian's Red.

Pls help the needy.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

Luv your name NoMore....because of the message there. Another pet peave of mine is 50 cheerleaders thinking they have to lead the team for everything. the vol walk, running throught the t, etc.

ExpatVol writes:

+++TENNESSEE GAMES WHILE ABROAD+++

Hello DenmarkVol & rich182x,

I have been living and working abroad for the past 4 years (last 2 in Denmark). You can watch the games at the following sites...

1 - ESPN360.com
Pros... great video quality, lots of games, you can see the weekly schedule at the following... http://espn.go.com/college-football/s...
Cons... $$$ (20 USD/month or 150 USD/year), you can only watch 1 game at a time (ie no dual game action), sound is off at times

2 - www.justin.tv
Pros... free, ok sound and video
Cons... annoying chat bar, locks up at times

3 - www.channelsurfing.net
Basically the same at www.justin.tv

4 - http://www.anchorfree.com/
This website downloads a program that hides your IP address, which allows you to watch CBS, ABC, NBC... it worked last season. The sounds and video are comparable to ESPN360.com

I am by no means a computer expert. Novice all the way... but the above sites are easy to use for the most part and allow you to follow the Vols anywhere / anytime.

Send me a message if you need some help.

Best of luck!!!

Go Vols!!!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to zerahgibson#254155:

I think that is why we lose 4 games, because so many freshmen. This will help the next 2-3 yrs. however. We lose to Fla, Ala. and either Ga., Miss., or UCLA. I think the Vandy, SC, and Ky games will be very close. A chance to lose one of them for a worse case of 7-5

VOLinDAWGland writes:

in response to zerahgibson#254155:

Like it or not, we're in a rebuilding process. Best way to accelerate the process is to get the younger guys going sooner than later. Might as well take our lumps now and next year to prepare for a return to competing at the top of the SEC as soon as possible.

And please remember, many of the returning guys were part of the team that posted a 5-7 record last year. I'd think some fresh blood would be required for that reason alone.

At this point in the program's cycle, I say bring on the Freshman and do it again next year.

kman29 writes:

in response to notoriousBIGorange:

FEAR THE KIFFIN!

who was Richardson going to start over? Deonte Thompson? Riley Cooper? David Nelson? Its funny when UF fans talk about their WR corp and bring up names like Frankie Hammond, Omarius Hines or TJ Lawerance. You say, "who are they?" Players like that were as talented as Richardson coming out of the 2008 recruiting class all as 4 star rated WRs. And because of the talent level all of them were redshirted. Thats similar to this year if Richardson had became a Gator the best he would probably get to hope for would have been playing special teams, because he would be behind not only the UF starters, but the backups who were redshirted last year. Its not a knock on the kid because he is talented, but fact is, with Tennessee he is a starter, with Florida he is border line redshirted. He would not have been a starter with UF, no more than Debose will be when he gets healthy this year.

in response to Vols033:

Well, it's a fact that the media, whether covering sports or politics, is all about the "story of the day". And certainly for the first few months of the Kiffin era, the national storyline was all about his "provocative" statements. And it may be that he will continue to be portrayed as the guy the rest of the conference loves to hate. However, with the gigantic new contract between ESPN and the SEC, it is possible that the coverage will touch on the positives as well as the negatives. In any case, Brown, Jackson, and the others signed with us when the story was ALL about what a big talker CLK was with little sense of the positives he brings. I think the nation's prospects definitely have us on their radar and, if the team does as well as all of us Vol fans expect, the prospects will in fact know that they DO have a real chance to compete for playing time right away. At least that's the way I HOPE it all turns out! GO VOLS!!!

in response to BolivarBob:

Thanks for the link; keep 'em coming! Those were five REALLY good reasons to be glad 2008 is OVER!

in response to zerahgibson#254155:

That is certainly a valid concern. However, when you think about how we have basically been treading water for the past four or five years--even when we made the SEC championship game a few years ago, we backed in--then you realize that we can only worry so much about going toe-to-toe with the "upper-tier" teams. It will be all we can expect this year just to be more competitive against UF, Bama, and such. Right now, it should be enough for us to distance ourselves from the UK's, SC's, and such, who were arguably gaining on us.

Also, the positions where the freshmen are slated for major playing time were areas of significant need, except perhaps for the defensive backfield. We needed better players at wide receiver and running back. We could use some better players in the lines, but except for Montori Hughes we didn't get much freshman help there. There just aren't enough great freshmen in the world to make us as strong in the lines and in depth at all positions as we need to be to play the big boys on even terms. But we WILL get there, and this bunch of freshmen are the start--but ONLY the start--of something big! GO VOLS!!!

rich182x writes:

in response to ExpatVol:

+++TENNESSEE GAMES WHILE ABROAD+++

Hello DenmarkVol & rich182x,

1 - ESPN360.com

2 - www.justin.tv
Pros... free, ok sound and video
Cons... annoying chat bar, locks up at times

3 - www.channelsurfing.net
Basically the same at www.justin.tv

4 - http://www.anchorfree.com/

Send me a message if you need some help.

Best of luck!!!

Go Vols!!!

Thanks for the tips! But, you say you pay for ESPN360 abroad? How is this possible? I am guessing you have an ISP that is affiliated with ESPN in Denmark?

Also, on utsports.com I have noticed the Dish network all access pass... Does this show all of our games? And I have no problem paying to watch, nothing is free. So if you guys have info, it would help tons!! Thanks for the help so far!

pammyvol1000 writes:

I'am excited!! Get out the blender and get those orange margarita's shaken!!!!

SHAWVOL writes:

jackson will probally see more play time than rogan i just hope vinson has a great year he is a awesome athelete and hopefully this will be his year