Hamilton says ticket sales will dictate future bowl bids

Tennessee has every expectation it will be a big draw for some bowl this postseason.

But the outside perspective on their box-office appeal might not be quite so high, and it could have cost them an anticipated trip to the Outback Bowl in Tampa, Fla.

Since UT still doesn't officially have a bowl bid in hand, athletic director Mike Hamilton couldn't comment specifically about discussions with any committees over the past few days. But the Vols might be in need of a large traveling party this month to reassert themselves at the front of the SEC line again.

"We're going to travel well, and a couple of bowls that are in the process that there has been speculation that we might be attending, I think we'll travel very, very well," Hamilton said Tuesday. "It has a bearing on appearances in future years based on the way teams travel. We have historically traveled well, but we did not take as large crowds the last couple times we played and we've got to reestablish ourselves as one of the top travelers in the college bowl scene.

"Again, we did not travel as well to the last Outback Bowl and we've got to reestablish that we're taking big crowds everywhere we go."

According to a source familiar with the process, that means Atlanta and the Chick-fil-A Bowl this year, though the school can't confirm that.

Either way, tickets are already available regardless of the bowl for pre-purchase from UTtix.com and letters were sent to season-ticket holders over the last couple weeks to reserve their seats, and brisk sales, regardless of destination, can play a determining role.

"Going ahead and pre-purchasing is not an obligation to a bowl we're attending," Hamilton said. "It's an indication of a willingness to travel to a bowl where we might be selected."

In the end, it might even directly influence the actual selection.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

topgun writes:

Thought that might be the answer.

randyarnold writes:

Lack of attendance at Neyland Stadium this year, falling below an average of 100,000 for the year, is the reason UT is going to Atlanta rather than Tampa. This only emphasizes what a joke the bowl system has become - where matchups and records don't matter, only the dollars a team can produce.

huntined#565710 writes:

Was at the last Outback game and it looked like a lot of orange was there.

amstelman writes:

Follow the money, baby. I wonder how many TCU can put in the stands in the Orange Bowl? Just sayin.

mdvol writes:

Guess you CAN spell Outback without a U and T. I knew a Florida bowl was unlikely when I saw empty seats at Neyland for EVERY game. You can say enthusiasm is sky high but the realty is we averaged UNDER 100,000 for the season. No way a bowl outside of Nashville or Atlanta was going to risk picking the Vols based on that trend. Seems like all the medium and lower tier bowls followed the same philosophy. Can't say as I blame them.

volnnwbama writes:

does anyone know how much tickets will be.

Greer_Vol_22 writes:

It doesn't make a hoot in heck. With this economy, if they expect $70 per head it will be 1/3 empty. I mean they can't even fill up the family section for $10 at Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte....just sayin'

geojeff writes:

I was at last Outback and there was just as many empty seats on the Wisconsin side as ours. But, in all fairness, we could have had a lot more. That was a different time, Fulmer was coach, we had been beat on our previous trip to Tampa.... I think it will be different with Lane and some new energy.

Looks like we are going to the Chicken Bowl anyhow.

If I would have known that the sale of bowl tix before the season was over were: [a] available to non-season ticket holders and-or [b] influenced destination; I would have picked a couple up.

I thought bowl destination was about wins and losses?

stayingorange writes:

A win against VT will be bigger than the 11 a.m. snoozer in Tampa.
Regardless of ticket sales and all that BS, Outback is settling for a team that lost 5 of its last 7, which includes a win over the mighty FCS Furman Paladins.

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

Speaking of traveling, how about we all travel to Chili's, Applebee's, or Texas Roadhouse the next time we are considering going to Outback. Their food suxz anyway.

LargeOrange writes:

I have been to every bowl game in person since I graduated in '84, I have been to 9 games this year and it is embarrassing to see empty seats in the stadium because of the fair weather, couch hugging, TV watching fans that don't make the difficult and expensive choices to support UT. We used to be known as a team that could fill any stadium including the (once) largest stadium in the country. Well I have stepped on unused tickets on the sidewalk in Knoxville outside the gates all year that could have been used by local fans for $5.00 or less and yet the seats go empty. I know times are hard, but when tickets are free or nearly free there is no excuse for fans that live close to Knoxville for not taking the effort and time to attend and cheer the team. I have to pay for 2 tanks of gas and usually a hotel night to be at every game I can get to, and I do it every year regardless of the coaching staff or rankings, that to me is being a loyal fan. In a year or two when we are back in the top 10, which I believe we will be, tickets will be through the roof and sellouts will be common again, and somehow everyone will find a way to afford to go to games again, that spells FAIR WEATHER FANS to me. That is why we are not in a New Years Day bowl this year, go ahead and tell me I am wrong.

DavidB writes:

in response to volnnwbama:

does anyone know how much tickets will be.

If you purchase from UTTIX they will be $60.00 to $80.00 per seat. Outback bowl was listed at $70.00 - $150.00.

I went to the last two outback bowls. Going back two years in a row is one reason the crowd was smaller last time. Losing to Penn State was another reason. There were a lot of factors to the crowd being smaller that should be some factor.

Economy this year may prevent some people for traveling too far so I agree that the Chic-Fil-A is not a bad choice. I pre-purchased tickets for both the Chic-fil-a and the Outback and would be very happy with either.

Now just got to make accomodations for Atlanta.

Go Big Orange

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

Well, I'm gonna be there. Close to Chattanooga, and I'm off that whole week for work. Might even head up to the Music City bowl should UGA be in it. I

What can I say? I married a Dawg. :)

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

In this economy, keeping semi-regional bowls semi-regional is the smart thing to do for everybody. Tennessee v. Virginia Tech should be a great game in the Hotlanta Dome, if the Volunteers stop the crazy-leg and score points to win. Tennessee's best against Virginia's best in Atlanta...oh yeah!

9krpms writes:

Seems to me this year would be the best year for the outback to take us... This year we're excited about it. In a couple years going to the Outback will be considered an insult. However, I like the VT match up much better than a weak Big10 school. Outback has it all wrong.

CrankE writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

WD, Please bring the right bones and elixirs to ATL to break GA dome hex.

CrankE writes:

Hamilton, please start making your "exit strategy." Whether you're right or not, your timing for agreeing with the passover bunch in Tampa sucks.

"Ticket sales will dictate future bowl bids"
Bull. Perhaps the bowls should just be transparent and say, "We'll use whatever logic model fits our predetermined conclusion."

In fairness to the Outhouse, 7-5 teams don't have a lot of leverage.

steamboatticket#484773 writes:

in response to LargeOrange:

I think that you are at least sort of wrong. The players are unpaid student athletes. The fans are paying NFL prices. Head check...that sucks...definitely wrong...way, way wrong. College football should be college football.

Pullingguard writes:

Not a good matchup for the Vols... A very athletic QB, and Vols will have to play very well so they do not lay another egg in Atlanta.
They went there rated in top 10 and got kicked around, so hope Kiffin has them ready..

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to mdvol:

That would make sense except that even at 95% capacity, we outdraw every other team in the SEC which, of course, we did again this year. I would buy the excuse that we snubbed the Outback the last time so they have reciprocated - fair enough. But our home attendance numbers still dwarf all but a few NCAA teams and as the attendance leader in our conference, those slightly decreased numbers compared to 2008 were unlikely to have had any bearing on the process.

p66ayers#1376155 writes:

Tickets sales don't mean Jack to me. I'll have the best seats in the world, and my own private bathroom. Home! Hopefully the cops won't be here at my trailor when I'm blasting Rocky Top all night for the trailor park.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Could be very interesting. Compared to Bama, our running attack is nearly as good, our passing attack much better, especially when stretching the field. Our run defense is definitely not as strong, our pass defense is similar, but scoring defense not on the same page. Va Tech has a mobile qb with a strong arm but does not really run a spread like Florida, Auburn, or Kentucky's wildcat. They have a quick, undersized defense that Bama was able to wear down over the course of the game. I think an effort comparable to the Kentucky game should do it, unless it comes down to special teams. We are woefully inadequate there and that is a Beamer point of emphasis. Might be one of the best games played all year outside the BCS. The Chik Fil-A bowl just might be a peach! Sorry, couldn't help it. Go Vols!!!

SmokeyHound writes:

my birthday is new years...the vols better get me a bday present practice hard, get healthy, and beat the cr@p out of va tech!!! every vol fan go to the game! we need all support we can get! go vols!

appalachianvol writes:

in response to randyarnold:

Can you name the teams in the SEC that averaged more then 100k per game? I din't think so.

The_Greater_Pumpkin writes:

in response to LargeOrange:

I am pretty sure most people consider their mortgage and food on the table more important than the game. Donation requirements went up with ticket prices. So did parking!

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Jiminy Crickets! Let's blame Fulmer for the econonmy, the war, high taxes, etc. Most of the time your posts are great, but this one takes the cake.

we3vols#281863 writes:

in response to LargeOrange:

OK....Screw you. There are many Vol Fans that do not even have a job (Proud that you are Mr Money Bags). Some fans that love the Vols simply can not affort 2 tanks of gas (gas is $1 per gallon more this year than last) So let's figure 2 tanks of gas for Mom, Dad and 2 kids.

2 tanks of gas will be measured @ 20 miles per gallon.

16 gallon tank - 32 gallons of fuel.

Fuel - 32 gallons - 32 X $2.55 = $ 81.60

640 miles round trip. Average 60 MPH = 10.67 Hours diving time. Ths is 5.333 hours each way.

Best case scenario - Game time 12:00 PM (do not have to stay over night).

Family leaves at 5:00 AM - Kids are sleepy eyed - Breakfast on the go Cheap as posssible Mickey D's. 4 egg biscuits w/bacon & cheese - 2 coffee - 2 orange juice = $12.

Arrive Knox Vegas at 10:30.

Tickets are being steped on. 4 Tickets together $0. Damn what a great break.

Eats at game - 4 Dogs-4 cokes-2 popcorn = $30.

Leave Knox Vegas @ 3:30 PM.

6:30 PM Supper on the go.

Once again cheap - 4 burgers - 4 fries - 4 cokes = $22

Arrive home 9:00 PM. Now lets see what it cost this family during hard financial times for 1 game in which their tickets were FREE.

Total cost = $ 145.60.

Now more realistic - Tix discovered for $20 each (all 4 together) = $ 80

Total cost $225.00 = family of 4 buy food for 10 days to 2 weeks for $ 225.

So I will tell you. I will "go ahead" and tell you. YOU ARE WRONG.

I hope this makes you happy. He!! Yes I blame the bowls.....Now we MUST add a caveat...Outback Bowl = Team that finishes 2nd in the East and sells the most tickets to the game as PREDICTED by Bowl Directors.

It is not about winning games, beating every team in the SEC east but one (we are the only team in the East that accomplished this). Invitations are given to teams that bowl directors feel will sell more tix. What a Load of S.H.I.T

Screw the Outback forever if the Vols are not invited. BTW, I could care less about watching the Heistman Trophy program ever again.

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

Since the BCS was instituted, attendence at bowl games by the major schools has declined. Unless you are playing in THE game, then the game becomes meaningless. It becomes useful for an extra spring practice and recruiting.

p66ayers#1376155 writes:

in response to bfowler1161#262198:

Fulmer caused me to have my prostate checked: 'Ole lady shoved remote up my !$$ after no bowl game last year. Mad me mad too.

p66ayers#1376155 writes:

in response to LargeOrange:

No disrespect Large Orange, but i didn't attend UT.I have been to a couple of games, but some of us live in households with 1 or smaller incomes and have to put other stuff in front of season tickets, tailgating on the "hill", riding in with the Vol Navy. No way your blood bleeds any more Orange than mine or these other fine Vols.

HartfordCTvol writes:

AH the SEC and it's money. Does anyone recall how we were the only major conference to NOT IMMEDIATELY cancel the Saturday game after September 11, 2001? They were just going to roll with it. Not until the horrific press on this did we decide to cancel. It's all about the money folks. It's not about the fans. It's not about the kids playing. It's not about the wins or the losses. I tell you, I love the SEC but sometimes I am ashamed of this conference. This year with the referee problems and now this I am ashamed of our beloved conference. Shame on you Mike Slive. Shame on you.

bloodrunsorange writes:

in response to BIGGEST_UT_FAN:

Well said!

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to Post_In_Waiting:

Whats wrong Phil you still mad Mempuss didnt hire you ? you all but killed the program here and good thing LK is young , its going to take him a couple of years to build back what you tore down.

kabulvol writes:

Buy tickets at the site. I bought my tickets for the 1999 Fiesta Bowl at a ticket agency to the tune of $180 per ticket. As we walked up to the stadium, guys were selling tickets for $30 each. But, it didn't bother me. We beat FSU and won the National Championship!

caverunner writes:

Hey, quit whinning about the bowl...its a LOT better than the bowl we went to last year! Go and support the team, no matter if its Nashville, Memphis, Tampa, or Atlanta!!! Those young men worked there tails off this season and showed more grit than any UT team I've seen in a very long time!!! GO VOLS!!!

caverunner writes:

in response to HartfordCTvol:

One good thing about the refs in the SEC...they won't be calling the UT game regardless of the bowl they go to!

chbradshaw writes:

This conversation misses the point.

When UT is where we want it to be as a program, any bowl short of the BCS championship is a consolation prize.

I would much rather play Virginia Tech than any slow-footed never-was from the Big 10.

As for the Vols traveling well, our record speaks for itself. Neither Auburn Georgia or Alabama have a record of taking fans to Pasadena, Berkeley, Miami or Tempe like we do.

If the Outback has a problem, it is them not us.

Bowls only matter when you are playing for a championship. When you are not, the only thing that matters is four extra weeks of practice.

The UT Vols will always be relevant. The Outback already is not.

TheFuj writes:

Many Vol fans go to the bowls and buy the game tickets at the game. The tickets are so costly when buying directly from the schools. Most bowls give many tickets to local sponsors, suppliers, etc. Many of those receiving don't go to the game, thus trying to resale or give away their tickets. Every bowl game I have gone to, including the '98 championship, I would see good tickets for $5-$10. So, TN may not always get the credit for the ticket sales, but their are always plenty of Vol fans there. We have just become smart bowl game ticket consumers.

NashTN writes:

in response to we3vols#281863:

2 tanks of gas will be measured @ 20 miles per gallon.

16 gallon tank - 32 gallons of fuel.

Fuel - 32 gallons - 32 X $2.55 = $ 81.60

Best case scenario - Game time 12:00 PM (do not have to stay over night).

Arrive Knox Vegas at 10:30.

Tickets are being steped on. 4 Tickets together $0. Damn what a great break.

Eats at game - 4 Dogs-4 cokes-2 popcorn = $30.

Leave Knox Vegas @ 3:30 PM.

6:30 PM Supper on the go.

Once again cheap - 4 burgers - 4 fries - 4 cokes = $22

Total cost = $ 145.60.

Now more realistic - Tix discovered for $20 each (all 4 together) = $ 80

Total cost $225.00 = family of 4 buy food for 10 days to 2 weeks for $ 225.

So I will tell you. I will "go ahead" and tell you. YOU ARE WRONG.

I understand your stress. We need to show more respect to each other.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Wait! The SEC does not permit bowl selection based on ticket sales. Our commissioner will not stand for this... um, oh yeah, I forgot. Never mind. We just got slived again.

hueypilot writes:

I passed about five automobile dealerships in Alabama on my Thanksgiving trip that were closed. Neill Sandler in Alcoa is gone. There were simply too many car dealerships. IMO there are too many Bowl games. There will probably be some casualties, altho I would be surprised if it was more than two or three.

But the couple of posters who suggested college footall tix are too high, if you're expecting them to get cheaper, you've got a big disappointment coming. Tennessee has changed it's protocol for seating priority, away game tix ,and parking passes through changes to the Tennessee Fund. People who gave to the school but other than the athletic dept, are not going to get consideration for these items for non athletic department contributions. And the SEC has just signed a megabuck deal with ESPN for billions. Make no mistake, it is all about the Benjamins.

TommyJack writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

And the trans-fat in that Awesome Blossom is lethal. Eat mor chkn.

surfmaster writes:

in response to NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop:

Agree. If you eat at Outback after the bowl they sponsor shafted us for the second time, you can not call yourself a true Vol fan.

1974Vol writes:

For years the donation amount required to get season tickets has forced many Vol fans like myself to buy scalped tickets before the game. Once you learn how to do this you seldom pay face value for a ticket much less have to make a huge donation to the school. This carries over to bowl games as well. I paid $20 a piece for Outback tickets for that Penn State loss. A lot of Vol fans are probably like me in that if I go to the Bowl game I'm scalping tickets at the venue not paying "face" value for them through "authorized agents". This means that even though you see a lot of Orange in the stands its not perceived as Vol Nation traveling well, because their tickets were not bought threw the school. Don't see myself changing and doubt many other like minded Vols will either. Had to pay $50 for the '86 Sugar Bowl but whipping that fatique wearing thug U 35-7 was priceless.

1974Vol writes:

Sorry that's "through the school" gammar police

agilemobilehostile writes:

in response to hiresanders:

You just got beat for the 25th year in a row and you are still running your ball washer! Unbelievable!

vol88 writes:

in response to surfmaster:

I started boycotting Outback the first time I went to Texas Roadhouse and got better food for less money. It's easy boys. Boycott Outhouse..uh..Outback.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to LargeOrange:

You’re right… I suppose it’s fair to assume people are “fair weather fans” in a very tough economy when unemployment is at a peak and people are wondering where their next meal is coming from or where they’re going to sleep that night. They should really be using what little resources they have to buy a ticket and support UT football.

Idiot!

tE8OwPHELch35 writes:

Playoff, need i say more? screw the bowls greedy bastards

Solomon writes:

The UT fan base was a direct reflection of the Fulmer regime.....They got "old and tired" and sick of watching his unachieving, out of shape teams slop around in recent bowl games....Bowl memories and debacles against Maryland, Clemson, K-State, Penn St. immediately come to mind........