Adams: Kiffin perfecting his shots with Meyer as target

John Adams

College football's regular season is drawing to a close, but the news is peaking.

Notre Dame fires its coach, Florida State legend Bobby Bowden retires, Tennessee gets shuffled from one bowl to another, Florida star defensive end Carlos Dunlap rests up for the SEC championship game by sleeping at the wheel, and UT football coach Lane Kiffin takes another shot at Urban Meyer.

Another Zinger: You can beat Kiffin but you can't shut him up.

In a radio interview Tuesday, Kiffin was asked for his take on Saturday's much-ballyhooed SEC championship game between the unbeaten Gators and Tide.

"Florida has better players; Alabama has better coaches," Kiffin told the Sports Animal.

His critique is a great indicator of how he has matured as a first-year college head coach. Almost a year ago, he jokingly referred to Meyer as a cheater before a crowd of UT boosters. He was promptly reprimanded by the SEC office.

Months later, Kiffin has refined his game to the extent that he can take shots at coaches without being reprimanded, much less fined.

The next UT-Florida game can't get here fast enough.

Bowled Over: UT shouldn't be fazed by a rejection from the Outback Bowl. A 7-5 team that lost to Ole Miss by 25 points less than three weeks ago has zero leverage.

But all the bowl machinations likely will work to UT's advantage. Tampa, Fla., might be a more desired location, but the Chick-fil-A Bowl could provide a better match-up and a more convenient trip for UT fans.

While struggling to complete my AP Top 25 ballot Saturday, I began considering five-loss teams. And UT is near the top of the list. It has close losses to Alabama and Florida, victories over four winning teams, and a schedule that included nine bowl-bound teams.

If UT could beat a nationally ranked team like Virginia Tech in the Georgia Dome and a few four-loss teams lose, it could crack the final Top 25.

Wake-Up Call: You think the sound of your alarm clock is irritating?

It beats a policeman rapping on your window.

Dunlap was napping in his vehicle, which was still in gear, about 3:25 a.m. when he was arrested and charged with DUI in Gainesville, Fla., Tuesday. My guess is Meyer felt even worse than Dunlap when he woke up.

Dunlap is one of the best pass rushers in the country and could have been a dominant factor against a quarterback with no more mobility than Alabama's Greg McElroy. But Meyer made the right call in suspending him, even if it jeopardizes Florida's chances of winning the game.

Florida beat Alabama for the SEC title last year without an injured Percy Harvin. It can win without Dunlap, too.

Admitting The Problem: Charlie Weis has now joined Bob Davie and Tyrone Willingham as failed Notre Dame coaches. The line will continue to grow unless the school relaxes its admissions standards for student-athletes.

Notre Dame has been able to recruit outstanding players like Jimmy Clausen and Golden Tate, but it is no longer able to recruit the depth of talent that enables you to contend for a national title.

If it wants to win another championship, it should offer Nick Saban $6 million a year and the dual title of head football coach and university director of admissions.

Legendary Loss: Florida State football without Bowden will be what Alabama football once was without Bear Bryant.

Penn State's Joe Paterno has won more, but Bowden has accomplished more. Penn State was formidable before Paterno became head coach; Bowden built FSU from the ground up, then maintained it as an elite program for more than a decade. No one will match FSU's run of 14 consecutive top-five finishes under Bowden.

In his heyday, Bowden was as good of a play-caller as Steve Spurrier, and big-time college football might never see a friendlier coach. He was as friendly to the media as he was to fans.

Once, in the fourth quarter of a one-sided, late-night game on ESPN, Bowden was concerned about the sportswriters who were facing a tight deadline. So he provided FSU's sports information director with quotes - to be disseminated to the media - while the game was still in progress.

Sports editor John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

elbtenn#502977 writes:

Eat mor chikn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tdforvols writes:

Once again Kiffin is right.

OldNumber7 writes:

Why is this considered a slam on Meyer? It's the truth! Florida has better players and it is very legit if you think Saban is better at coaching. Some folks might disagree, but it's not a slam because you think so. Adams...it's time to stop making a mountain out of a molehill...we are sick of it.

richvol writes:

Kiffin is right...

PrimeTime writes:

Dumblap, I mean Dunlap is as stupid as Nukeese and Edwards. This guy was about to make millions in the NFL. Now when he gets drafted he will go straight into the NFL's drug and alchohol program. He probably just cost himself a couple mil in draft posistions. We will see how good of a coach Creyer is without his star FULLBACK=Tebow!

kman29 writes:

Better coaches? Why this moron continues to open is mouth is beyond me. Makes good entertainment I suppose, although his infatuation with Urban Meyer is getting a little on the Cape Fear type of stalking level. I mean, Kiffin isn't going to start hidding in the bushes at Meyer's house is he? If Meyer ever left Florida is Kiffin going to tie himself to the bottom of his car to follow him?

Well I certainly hope those "better coaches" dont go down 0-2 to a worse coaching staff after saturday for bama fans sake.

CarthageVol writes:

I originally thought Florida would win this Saturday. However, watching how we played against Ole Miss because of off field activities just days before, I think this could have an affect on the outcome. Also, I was wanting the Outback Bowl, but I'm more willing to go to Atlanta to watch us. Besides, we already said that we wanted to go somewhere we recruit heavily. This is probably a better showcase for us than early the next morning. More people would respect a win over VT than Wisconsin. Go Vols.

kman29 writes:

in response to CarthageVol:

This is by no means an attempt to bash Tennessee, but here is the difference between the two.

Florida Seniors: (2 national championship games, 2 SEC title games)

Your talking about a group of players who have played in the biggest stages in college football for a championship, not once but 4 times. And just as last years distraction before SEC title game (Percy Harvin ruled out) UF adjusted and prevailed with their leadership, UF will adjust again. Tennessee on the other hand, honestly has a lot of players without those experiences and without the same leadership. Not to say guys like Eric Berry arent leaders, but that is one guy compared to 10-15 that UF has. So you really cant compare both situations.

CarthageVol writes:

in response to kman29:

Kman29, it's all I can do to run my business, eat dinner with and read with my children, visit with my wife about our days, and catch up on the Vols at night. How in the He@! do you have time to read the opposition's message boards. You guys screwed up by getting Fulmer fired. You should have let him win every now and then. Just like I'm all for UGA keeping Richt. We love what you're doing Mark. Kman29, GO BACK FROM WHERE YOU'RE FROM!!!!!!!!!!

vol_4_fan writes:

We will never know what would be the punishment would have been if not for the way CLK handled ours,,,has anyone heard the phrase getting all of the information? The info is he was at a green light on a road passed out with the car in gear, that sure took some time to figure out.

VolnAL writes:

in response to kman29:

I have to agree with you even though I HATE TO. Kiffin needs to worry about home and quit giving Meyer the flattery not deserved. He sounds like a kid that is jealous and I would rather hear more mature ideas come out of his mouth than this! ( GET OVER IT ALREADY)

tulelakevol writes:

Gators stink. Gator fans stink. Gator coaches stink. Gator players are good when they are sober.

SLOBBER_knocker_U writes:

I love Coach K more and more haha. He's just stating the facts so get over it trolls and quit crying!

HollisPalmer61 writes:

in response to kman29:

Let those that do not read about a coach on opponents website cast the first (stalking level) stone

RJ_Vol writes:

in response to navonodb:

navonoDsnwolraeP,

Have a good evening!

tdforvols writes:

Where are the Tide Fans who are upset that Kiffin belittled their players? Seems like it's always the Gator fans who have their panties in a wad. Kiffin exposes that thin Gator skin once again...lol

VolnAL writes:

in response to SLOBBER_knocker_U:

I am not a troll.Just stating my honest opinion. He should focus and grow up some; a little bit goes a long way. Enough is enough.

tntorbett writes:

in response to RJ_Vol:

navonoDsnwolraeP,

Have a good evening!

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! That's great (& very true)

chargervol writes:

Like him or not, Tebow is a good college player. I do think time will tell how the coaching at florida will aide or hurt Tebow in the future. The gator trolls say what does that have to do with college. Tebow's throwing mechanics have never been fixed. He starts his motion below his waist. He has the highest ranking passing percentage in the SEC. Those are mostly comprised of 10 yard throws or less. When he tries to go downfield, it takes him forever to get the ball out of his hands. Meyer should have worked with him on that. It is almost as if Meyer used him as his workhorse without actually helping Tebow develope into an actual QB. I do believe that Tebow is the kind of kid that will work hard to correct his mechanics. It has just set him behind in his quest to further his career. That is what Lane Kiffin is talking about. Saban has coached in the NFL. Therefore, he knows what the players need to improve on. Kiffin understands that Saban understands. Meyer just doesn't get it, nor, will the gator trolls. There are a lot of coaches around the country that could have helped Tebow evolve. Meyer was content on letting him be a workhorse. GO VOLS!!!

CrankE writes:

Dunlap; Drunk and asleep at the wheel. A perfect metaphor for the Gatrolls of 2009. You just can't make this stuff up.

TnScooby writes:

in response to navonodb:

This ignorant post coming from a dyslexic Gator troll

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to kman29:

HAHA!!!

Bail out of "drunk tank" $2,500.00

New "Futuristic" jerseys $7,000.00

Money in officials pockets $10,000.00

Saban > Meyer PRICELESS

GO VOLS!!!

Southland writes:

Beat Florida then you dont have to take cheap shots. Saying stupid stuff about Florida doesnt make us better. Show some class folks. Its not that hard if you try. Kiffin, coach your players, keep them out of trouble, beat Florida and you dont have to be a smart aleck to get recruits. Trash talking is usually done by trashy people. Winners dont have to do it. Call it old school if you want. Some old school things beat the daylights out of the hip hop, gangster rap criminal mindset of today

newportvol writes:

He was asked a question..and he answered it so what...What takes better coaching.. Taking a group of seniors to the unbeaten sec title game..with a senior qb who makes 90 percent of the plays.. in a off. hes been in for 4 yrs.. or takin a freshmond QB?...Hate to say it Saban is prolly the best coach in College..Dang sure wish Rich Rod went to bama and not Mich..

TnScooby writes:

in response to VolnAL:

He has enough "ideas" for MOST Vol fans...He was asked a question and he answered...There was no "flattery" involved...sounds like an honest answer was given...When you start "agreeing" with a troll. you will be labeled as one, especially when they are insulting a Vol (GET OVER IT ALREADY)

ShreveportVol writes:

in response to VolnAL:

VolnAl, maybe you should start keeping your opinions to yourself....it was a factual answer that was given. Florida does have the athletes, obviously Bama has better coaching. for saban to build up bama the same way he did Lsu in such a short time only backs up CLK's answer.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

Seriously....how did John Adams get a job as a sportswriter? His editorials (non-reporting) are extremely lame. Why doesn't he write something positive for a change? There are plenty of good stories out there involving UT players that go unheard. During this "off time" before the bowls is the perfect time to do something original....like write something.

senracjr writes:

in response to kman29:

waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh wah.
Cry some more you little wimp.

loyalvol_alltheway writes:

Saying Notre Dame can't compete without relaxing its academic standards is nonsense. NO WAY their academic standards are tougher than Stanford's, and look what Jim Harbaugh has done with Stanford!

sidwalkvol writes:

in response to VolnAL:

he was answering a question, num noggin! He is entitled to an opinion--which, I might add, is an informed opinion, having played them both. He is not bashing, just saying...

ShreveportVol writes:

in response to kman29:

Kman29, you obviously have no idea what your talking about! I will agree when it comes to playcalling and putting a team of pure athletes in position to excel is what meyer is good at, he still doesnt measure up to how good a coach Saban is. Saban actually coaches his players up, develops them into better players that understand the game and how its played. do me a favor and count up all the players Saban has put into the NFL and compare it with Meyers....night and day brother. It was nice of you stop in and see how the Lane Trane is going! peace!!

sidwalkvol writes:

in response to Southland:

tell it to the old ball coach

teedub writes:

Kiff is spot-on with that comment. I don't see it as a dig at all. Saban has had half the time to build his program. Bama folks will tell you that there wasn't a lot of talent when Saban took over. Zooker, on the other hand, left the cupboard full, and Meyer built it from there. Saban has had to start from scratch and is already playing for his second SEC title game - in an SEC west that is significantly tougher than the East right now.

SLOBBER_knocker_U writes:

in response to VolnAL:

i wasn't commenting on you

MTSUVOL writes:

I love kiffin more and more everyday!!! He is a genius. Reminds me of Suppier in his hay days.

Looks like Kiffin has bought a new home..... It's in the head of Urban Cryer!!!! :)

VolsAllTheWay writes:

Mike Slive is the best coach in the SEC. He got 2 teams to the SEC championship unbeaten. With help from his "o" coordinator Rogers Redding and his staff.

gators have the most appropriate mascot. All mouth, little brain.

What's the difference between a golf ball and an Escalade? Tiger can drive a golf ball over 300 yards.

Thanks, and have a good day!

easleychuck writes:

in response to tdforvols:

Remember Florida football does not have the resume of an Alabama or Tennessee over the course of a hundred years or so.

They were pretty much admirers for many, many, many years of programs like Bama and Tenn. So I suppose they still have a little brother complex.

Also, explains why they fear Coach Kiffin so much. Afraid that they will go back to being what they were for so long.

That, also, probably explains why so many of them live on a Knoxville based newspaper site spewing their nonsense.

VolFanFtl writes:

in response to VolnAL:

????? What did Kiffin say that was wrong or offensive? He complimented the gator players and complimented Bama's coaches. That’s all he did. He was asked a question and he answered it.

The offensive thing is the head line for this story. I see nothing wrong with what he said and if anyone thinks he said anything offensive, they are the ones that need to grow up.

BTW, I do think you are a troll.

VolFanFtl writes:

in response to Post_In_Waiting:

First, what smack did Lane say about Mary Meyer today? Was it that Florida had the better players? That must really sting! Mary Meyer and her fans must be upset.

Second, Mary Meyer had no choice regarding discipline after that harsh 30-minute Spikes discipline.

Grow up fool.

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to Post_In_Waiting:

He has a lot of practice...26 plus arrests now? Yeh, he certainly has that programed cleaned up.

But seriously, who cares? He was asked a question...he gave an honest answer. I think Saban is a better coach than Meyer. Not to say Meyer isn't, but the job Saban has done at Bama is nothing short of remarkable. 6-6 to two undefeated regular season? He inherited a team that had little talent on it and took it to being a national power virtually overnight. Meyer has done a lot, but he received a team with a a great amount of talent. JMHO, but I think Saban has done a much better job than Meyer or at least more impressive.

ArealVolFan writes:

in response to VolFanFtl:

Grow up fool.

Oh, and back on the discipline note:

It was reported earlier today that Meyer was originally going to give him a 1 quarter suspension, because no one was actually hurt. After Slive called, and spoke at length about the situation they agreed that a one game suspension(it won't be more than that) would more appropriate considering he was rudely woken up by an office during his nap and now his sleep cycle is off. The University of Florida's sleep specialist confirmed that after one game his cycle should be back to normal and he should be ready to play in the Sugar Bowl.

KiFFiNOMiCS writes:

in response to kman29:

The better question is will Meyer tie himself to Tim Tebow's car to follow him to whichever team drafts him for TE or FB? Their relationship is twisted and just flat creepy....don't believe me...here is the proof:

Two coaches taking verbal jabs at each other youngster is part of the business if you want to be competitive...a couple of recruiting classes here...you're really going to hate Kiffin. But you want to speak of obsession and none are more disturbing than Urban Meyer's boy crush on Tebow...and it is just flat out sick guy.

VOLoom writes:

I don't like the match up, Virginia Tech has great special teams, we don't. In a close one they could snatch it away from us with a blocked punt or a punt or kick off return for a touchdown.

Rugby2 writes:

in response to Southland:

Have to agree with you on this one. I love the direction of the team and the preparedness that is shown on the field that Kiffin has given. But trash talking other programs is something that has always been wrong to me. I don't get it, the only thing trash talking does is give yourself words to eat when the wheel spins back around and it always does (note to Gator Fans). I thought Spurrier was wrong for doing it and I can't say its ok when our guy does it.

I know that beating everyone on your schedule will get you all the big recruits you need. I see that happening in Knoxville already.

Give Blood Play Rugby

Ayres_Hall writes:

Wow! Some folks are still being surprised by Kiffin's remarks. That's amazing.

And I would agree with his opinion.

GerryOP writes:

Why are you lil' gataboys so sensitive? Kiffin was asked his opinion, he gave it. What do you guys think Kiffin does, stay up all night thinking of ways to take shots at lil' Urbie? I doubt it.

OK trolls, you might as well start the beatdown stories now. Where do you want to start? UF beating UT by 50 points? Have at it! Woof, woof!

Greatest scene of the '09 football season. Timbow taking a knee and heaving a sigh of relief that the game was over!

290 -- Fear The Kiffin...

writer#358485 writes:

I have five favorite football teams, Tennessee and whoever is playing against four others: Steve Spurrier (no matter where he’s coaching), Alabama, Florida, Notre Dame. Obviously I don’t have a favorite for the SEC Championship game Saturday, I’d like to see both of them lose.

I agree with the poster who wrote that Adams is making much ado about nothing—typical of him. However, I was pleased that Lane, who I think will be one of the great coaches at Tennessee (though that is yet to be proven) had toned down his rhetoric over the season. This comment could be taken either way, an off-the-cuff honest answer based on playing experience, or a backhanded jab at Meyer. Adams, as is his wont, obviously made it worse.

I am very pleased with this season, but Kiffin hasn’t yet proven himself over a three or four year span. Until he does, I wish he would keep his more brash comments to himself. I sure don’t want to see him to put himself into the same category as Steve (The lip) Spurrier who is detested in many circles.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to kman29:

Here’s the way I look at it. Say what you want about Kiffin running his mouth, but no matter how you look at it his mouth is reviving rivalries. Reviving those rivalries is good for ticket sales, which is good for the SEC, which is ultimately good for college football. It hasn’t hurt him in recruiting either. I’d rather deal with the repercussions of him running his mouth and creating excitement around the league than reverting back to the Fulmer years and watching other coaches treat him like a doormat while he’s dishing out his famous ‘we’re working like heck’ speech. While we didn’t have a ‘stellar’ year at 7-5, he showed the college football world what he could do with minimal talent. He’s showing signs of great potential as a coach and recruiter. Once the wins start rolling in, his mouth will only create bigger rivalries down the stretch.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

290 -- Fear The Kiffin...

You must admit the Gator's have a big edge in nuzzlin'.