Source: UT vs. Virginia Tech in the Chick-fil-A Bowl

Tennessee and Virginia Tech will meet in the Chick-fil-A Bowl, according to a source familiar with the selection process.

An official announcement should come after the SEC releases non-BCS teams for bowl consideration, possibly later this evening. The Vols still don't have an official bid either verbally or in writing at this point according to a separate source in the UT athletic program, but that appears to be a formality.

The Vols (7-5, 4-4 SEC) slipped to the Chick-fil-A Bowl when the Outback Bowl surprisingly selected Auburn earlier on Tuesday, breaking from tradition and selecting a team from the SEC West over the second-place finisher in the East.

The Chick-fil-A had identified UT as its top target if it slipped past the Outback, and the Vols and Hokies (9-3, 6-2 ACC) now look set to play in Atlanta on Dec. 31 at 7:30 p.m.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

vet4ut writes:

I hope Monte will be able to figure out an offensive package that we have struggled with all year...
Good bowl. Good opponent. Go BIG ORANGE!

bobowling1#1377232 writes:

Will believe that when I see it.. Hard to believe UT over UGA in Atlanta. Lets hope the bleeding stops there. Better game anyway...

allvol9 writes:

Not at all disappointed this this selection. Should be a great game against a very good team. Prefer playing at night also rather than 11 in the morning. Go Vols!

bobowling1#1377232 writes:

in response to vet4ut:

Good bowl. Good opponent. Go BIG ORANGE!

I think he is getting better since Auburn. However, Offense needs to be ready to score a few points against an SEC type....(type).. defense.

Orangebrewbasher writes:

Lets try to redeem our last two pathelic performances in the peach bowl, please.

TommyJack writes:

in response to bobowling1#1377232:

Would bet the Hotel Ind. is happy no GA.

BigOrangeJeff writes:

in response to bobowling1#1377232:

Why? UT beat the living phooey out of UGA.

lemanruss58 writes:

This is really interesting. I live in VA but am a born and raised Orange Blooded Volunteer. A whole lot of my friends went to VA Tech after High School and we always joke about TN and VT meeting. This will be a great game for us all to watch.

bobowling1#1377232 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Would bet the Hotel Ind. is happy no GA.

I hope this is correct. Hotels and rest. are dancing in the streets. I will be stunned if UGA coming off a huge win against ACC division leader GA TECH is not in this game. Maybe, someone actually looked at accomplishment not money..... ( Wishful Thinking I'm Sure).....

tree_em_smokey writes:

Eat more ckicken, not more crow. VT is a very good team, personnaly I believe UT is better but they will be a different animal. Maybe berry will get the record in this game. GBO!!!!!

MusicCityVol writes:

www.checkerboardchatter.blogspot.com

bUTchVFL writes:

in response to bobowling1#1377232:

Bowl committees are made up of chamber of commerce type people, and are all about selling tickets, filling up hotel rooms and restaurants to raise money for the local economies. Georgia in Atlanta and UT in Nashville would lose millions for both cities.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to vet4ut:

Good bowl. Good opponent. Go BIG ORANGE!

He'll have a month to prepare. Something tells me he'll be ready, and then some.

UTmac writes:

I'm not caught up in the whole "Outback didn't pick us" ranting. The ONLY reason I wanted to go back to Tampa (yes, I went to the '06 and '07 games-'06 was rainy and '07 was only "marginally" warm) was to eat at Charley's Steak House. Hands down the best steak(s) I've ever eaten. If the CFA bowl prediction proves to be true, looks like it will be chicken and turkey this year!

tulelakevol writes:

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to CatScratchFever:

I really wanted the Cotton in the new stadium. Oh well, Peach, if we really get that over Georgia, will be fine. You're right, VTech is a much better game potentially. Cat's headed to Music City ? I know they love the Kentucky fans.

GahLee writes:

in response to bobowling1#1377232:

Not really when you consider money, and that is what it's all about.

Georgia fans would surely buy tickets but they wouldn't stay in hotels and things such as this.

Plus UT is better than Georgia.

tulelakevol writes:

bring on the hillbilly jokes

LVVOLJJ writes:

This is our best chance to get a respect and be rated by the final polls. VT is the highest ranked opponent going to the bowls that overlooked us. A blessing in disguise. We need to travel well and win!

kevin151 writes:

Hokie fans are complete morons

CeeJay865 writes:

"The Battle for Bristol" gentlemen. Only played down in Atlanta. I still think it'd be sweet to jam pack the Motor Speedway for a gridiron show down...but I'll settle for an ATL beatdown of the Chokie Hokies.

Millions of Peaches, peaches for me...GO VOLS!!

GahLee writes:

in response to bUTchVFL:

^^^^^This

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to tulelakevol:

bring on the hillbilly jokes

No kidding. Tennessee and Virginia Tech? There is certainly no shortage of redneck jokes in that matchup! Go Vols!!!

tulelakevol writes:

Isn't a Hokie a neutered turkey?

jakethevolguy writes:

IMO this sucks!! The Outback bowl should be banned from SEC participation if they cannot follow the rules set forth in the selection process. Heck, if they can pick and choose just however they want what is the point of having the alliances? That being said, GBO kick some Turkey azz!!

Ayres_Hall writes:

Playing VPI will be more fun than playing three yards and a cloud of dust Big 10. This will make for a fun three day jaunt to the ATL. V,B

VolunteerLifer writes:

If the Outback snubbed us, we should be like the Godfather and remember for a long time those who disrespect us, and pay them back one day by dissing them in like kind. The Outback shouldn't go around making enemies.

billwall writes:

Wow! We play Memphis at 4:00 and then VT at 7:30. I live in Alabama and might go to this one. VT is better than Wisconsin and we will have our hands full!

tulelakevol writes:

go vols

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to tulelakevol:

Isn't a Hokie a neutered turkey?

It will be.

tree_em_smokey writes:

Im just glad we no longer have " fumble in the red zone(or the 2 yard line against penn state) foster." Hardesty is unbelievable with no lost fumbles all year on carries. Were gonna do the "hokie pokie" all night after we win. It will be a hard faught game none the less. GBO!!

GreeneVol_TN writes:

I'm gonna have to get my TV remote ready cause if I'm not mistaken don't the basketball Vols play Memphis on the same night? Good News I guess is that if I flip on the radio for basketball I will get John Anderson instead of Bob K. No offense to Bob, I just like him better at football.

GO VOLS!

Southland writes:

who gives a phooey if someone makes redneck jokes? Rednecks and southerners are the best people to be around and the best place to be from. I have no disrespect for VT at all. One of the best programs in the south. Great team to watch and a lot of teams could learn from them, especially on their focus on special teams. Since we cant hit field goals and cant block kicks and VT can this will be a lot tougher game than I wanted. I want a win not another lame lose

atlvolsfan writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

It will be.

It's actually named after the "hokie" stone. In the old days, the VA coal miners would blast holes in the mines and the refuse left over was the hokie stone. Basically it was stone that was good for nothing. The whole VT campus is built out of it.

There's your "hokie" lesson for the day.

GO VOLS!!!

ChattTownVol writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

It will be.

^win

Halls3 writes:

This a great bowl matchup for Tennessee IMO. Great opponent, recruiting hotbed, prime time game. What more would Tennessee want coming off a 5-7 from last year. Pack the Georgia Dome guys & bigger bowls will come in your future if Kiffin keeps it going. And I'm a Gator fan saying that so you know that's some props as little as I do like Kiffin.

tulelakevol writes:

Time to stomp the guts out of the hokies!

RockyTop10nessee writes:

The Battle of Bristol...I like this one!

1volfanatic writes:

I, among other Vol fans in tn. am glad for the chicken bowl since it is a lot closer. This will be my first bowl game and am VERY excited bout seeing our vols win in atlanta!! LUV THEM VOLS!!!

bobowling1#1377232 writes:

Really this is a better opportunity for exposure. Night and primetime as opposed to 11:00 am on hangover morning. Hope This is where it stops. I live in Nashville and the Music City Bowl is no pic-nic. COLDDDDDDD

tulelakevol writes:

in response to Southland:

I like redneck jokes. They are funny because they are true, like tellin' my life story. Hee Haw, beat the useless rocks, turkey's whatever the heck they are!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to CatScratchFever:

Could be a real game. I've seen VT stink this year, and I've seen'em look pretty impressive.

OwensboroVol writes:

I think it is time UT made an offcial compliant to the SEC about these bowl selection process. Its no secret that Auburn made a promise to sell more tickets to secure the Outback Bid. Of course it wouldn't do any good, Slive has not hid his contempt for the University of Tennessee. He never misses an opportunity to slap our University down while allowing or even openly approving what others do. As far as I'm concerned, now that Football season is over, a close look needs to be taken at how Mr. Slive supervises the Football Officials. To openly Admonish a Coach for mentioning what anyone looking at the film could see was a horrible calls and doing nothing in all but one occasion is completely unacceptable. It is apparent that Mr. Slive's way of correcting terrible officiating is to seek ways to scare the coaches from mentioning it instead actually doing something to correct the problem. I believe its time for Mr. Slive to go back to the minor leagues he came from. He is not fit for the SEC.

Vol86 writes:

The mighty hookies are ranked 11 and in the ACC. I am worried. Ha. It is more like the hoogies. I realy want to teach these wannabeees a lesson. There scheduele is always easy so they are always over ranked.

MikeInTN writes:

Va. Tech a lot harder opponent than the Big 10 teams being mentioned. Win this one and it means something!!! GO VOLS!!!

tulelakevol writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

I heard Slive will be wearing the Hokie mascot outfit...

GahLee writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

They beat Miami, Nebraska and a decent Boston College team. Just saying.

Ringside writes:

Damn. Should had been the Outback.

stinky_pinky writes:

let me get this straight....

UT-MEMPHIS tipoff 3pm
UT-VA Tech kickoff 730pm

WOW

Can someone say Happy New Year?!?!

Etacovda_00 writes:

Looks like we'll have another bowl victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go HOKIES!!!!