Commitment's father says UT did no wrong

Hostesses didn't recruit prospects from S.C.

Charles Miller watched the news coverage all day.

Countless times he saw the national media report on the NCAA's investigation on Tennessee hostesses traveling to Duncan, S.C., to see his son, Corey Miller, and fellow defensive end prospect Brandon Willis.

Charles Miller was ready Wednesday to clear the air. First, he stated the obvious: young men like young girls.

As for the implication that UT's football program sent the hostesses to Byrnes High School as recruiters, Miller said nothing could be farther from the truth.

"Nobody put these girls on these boys," Miller said. "It wasn't like they came to our boys. Our boys started talking to them."

The initial conversations between UT hostesses and two highly rated prospects began in Knoxville, Miller said, when his son and Willis visited UT's campus in June.

"They became friends," the elder Miller said.

Perhaps more. Miller said he's not sure if his son is dating one of the unnamed hostesses in question, but said the two have kept in contact.

"I know they talk an awful lot," Miller said. "I don't know if he calls it dating or not. I don't think there's anything wrong."

Miller said he was nearby when his son invited the hostess to Duncan while on UT's campus.

"They asked them, 'Why don't you come watch us play some Friday?' '' Miller said.

As for the visit, Miller maintained the hostesses came as fans, not UT representatives.

"They didn't wear Tennessee colors," Miller said. "They were dressed very nice, like ladies dress."

Miller said his son and Willis parted ways with the two hostesses after the game. Miller said Byrnes players met for a post-game meal as they usually do.

As for the girls, "I don't know where they went," he said.

Miller also said he never saw the poster the UT hostesses were reported to have carried that read 'Come to Tennessee'. Instead, he saw a poster with Corey Miller and Brandon Willis' name on it.

Miller was befuddled by the fact UT's hostesses must have limited contact with prospects just because they are considered representatives of UT.

"You're going to tell people they can't be friends because of whatever school they go to?" Miller said.

Miller said he believes the girls visited Byrnes High School on Sept. 25, 11 days after his son and Willis committed to UT.

"They already said that's where they were going," Charles Miller said. "So how can that be a violation? It wasn't like those girls came down and all the sudden they changed their mind."

Miller said he has no idea who would have turned UT in, that Byrnes is covered up with college football recruiters most every Friday night during the season.

When asked if UT head coach Lane Kiffin may have been targeted by rival schools for some of his brash, public comments, Miller said, "Let me tell you something. I met Lane Kiffin. Now, everybody has different personalities. Because his personality is different doesn't make him wrong. I like him. I like him a lot. Football is a man's sport. He's a fiery coach and I like that."

Miller said UT was a far different place under former coach Phillip Fulmer.

"When I first came to visit, that was the last place I wanted my son to go," Miller said. "It was so laid back - no fire in the belly. When Lane Kiffin and his crew were there, I noticed a difference right off the bat. He might pop off and say a few things and ruffle a few feathers; I'm cool with that. Some people don't like that."

Miller said he's concerned that the NCAA investigation could prevent his son from enrolling at UT, as he planned to do in January.

"I'm concerned about what you don't know," he said. "We're new at this. We don't know what to expect."

At this time, there's no reason to believe the NCAA would deal out such a harsh penalty. That could largely depend on how involved UT's football program was in their hostesses' road trip.

Miller's desire is clear. He said his 6-foot-4, 225-pound son will honor his UT commitment.

"No deviation in the plan," Charles Miller said.

Willis doesn't seem so sure.

He told PalmettoSports.com on Wednesday that his commitment is "medium."

"I wouldn't say soft, I wouldn't say firm. It's in between," the 6-3, 255-pounder said.

Willis told the South Carolina Web site that he had talked to UT's staff about the NCAA investigation.

"Nothing that happened was inappropriate," he said. "Of course, they are going to investigate because things like that happen. But, the things that happened, none of that was illegal."

Willis said the NCAA investigation won't have an affect on the decision-making process for his college choice.

Willis is rated as the 88th best prospect in the nation by Scout and the 41st best prospect in the nation per Rivals.

Miller ranks 80th and 27th best in the nation, according to Scout and Rivals, respectively.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

vol49 writes:

Mr. Miller, thank you for clearing this matter up. Now, let's get these kids enrolled in January.

cloudodust writes:

...and don't forget the Thayer Evans character either. Ask Mack Brown about Mr. Evans then cover your ears.

tfoxi writes:

The truth will be known.

UT4ever writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Witchy......are you on Volnation now?? or is it an imposter??

TommyJack writes:

This whole thing smells. And the stink is not coming from Knocksvul.

LaneTrain writes:

Per a former UT hostess, it is against TN rules to date a football player and no, she can't continue to talk with him as a prospect (it would be the same as a coach calling him). Sounds like UT has these rules in place just for instances like these.

JTinCharlotte writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

W_D from VN:

Could it have been FSU that started this?

"Our recruiting guys exposed the #Vols recruiting sex scandal Sept 13th on message board. Pics & links to come."

LaneTrain writes:

in response to tfoxi:

The truth will be known.

Not so sure, because I don't think the hostess can give her side of the story (at least publicly) since she is an employee of UT. Wish they could.

Madkels writes:

I can't wait till the NCAA releases their statement that this is nothing. They should charge the university that opened this can of worms for travel expenses

LaneTrain writes:

in response to JTinCharlotte:

W_D from VN:

Could it have been FSU that started this?

Another 'rumor' is that Gran was doing negative recruiting the last two weeks as a vol.

cloudodust writes:

FSU. Why not..? We're taking their prized recruits too. Next to jump in the fray, Miami and USF.

dowhatsright writes:

I like Mr. Miller. He's a straight shooter and wise.

LaneTrain writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Didn't Barnhardt (sp)? mention something about 'no comment' as well? May have been another writer for AJC, but apparently everyone picked that up and ran with it. So you are saying a slimy gator tipped the reporter...but my only question is, how did that same slimy gator know about the investigation unless he is the snitch as well?

Would make sense except Lattimore isn't on Fla's radar...??? So how would he know that happened?

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Witchy, you are good at this stuff, can you get us Mr. Thamels e-mail address???

FEARinSEC writes:

in response to hollowheadvol:

How many times are you going to post the same thing???
"HollowedHead" sounds about right....

khelton657 writes:

Thank you, Mr Miller..you sound like a determined man...

khelton657 writes:

in response to LaneTrain:

..doubt she is an employee, this appears to be a volunteer task

Slystone writes:

I live in the Upstate and the news report locally say they were there looking at Lattimore. But then they would say that. The truth will be known soon.

VOLKING writes:

So, according to the article the kid is 6'4" and 6'3". Does anyone proof anything anymore?
Vols make national news again...stirring the pot...getting inside other coaches' heads. CLK is a guy that you either hate or love. There is no in-between. It sounds like those he has rubbed some folks the wrong way are trying to get rid of him or embarrass him. Take your best shot Urbie.

NavyChiefVol writes:

in response to khelton657:

..doubt she is an employee, this appears to be a volunteer task

I read earlier that they are actually paid employees of the university that go through a interview process to be hired to fill the position. Don't remember, but I believe it was a GVX article earlier in the day.

Hounddog writes:

Thank you.

Let's play football. Hounddog

VOLoom writes:

in response to watchanowatchasa:

Really, these girls give all the smart blondes a bad rep. Whoever heard of a dumb blonde anyway?

oldvolsfan writes:

it smeles of meyer and sieve

wags32 writes:

There is no way this leads to probation this is getting blown up to be way bigger tha it is. I will simplify it, Haters, scared, SEC coaches, desperate to keep up in recuiting. Thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madkels writes:

I smell the "Ole Ball Coach" on this one. He was beaten by the freshman coach and knows with UT on the upswing, things will be more difficult in Columbia.

Ghost_of_Bear_Bryant writes:

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to Ghost_of_Bear_Bryant:

Didn't you post this same comment on 5 other stories?
Just saying...

ctownvol writes:

in response to Madkels:

Yep. That stench you smell is coming straight from Columbia SC. That man has had it bad for us since he left as a teenager. This is just like last year with Alshon Jeffery's comments about Kiffin saying he would pump gas for the rest of his life.

OwensboroVol writes:

I don't think we need to be on a witch hunt or anything. If someone is using unfair recruiting tactics against us, I want it reported to the NC2A. From reading Mr. Miller's interview it appears that the girls did violate UT rules if not NC2A rules. It was terribly stupid or naive to go to the game and not believe anyone would notice. Maybe their training should have mentioned how Cutthroat recruiting can be. Anyway, I believe this goes away in a hurry. The girls will be relieved of their duties on the Tennessee Pride. And for whoever stirred it up, what goes around comes around.

lomas98 writes:

The timing of this is terrible based on a lot of the recruits who are committed plan on enrolling in January. They can't pull a signing day switch if they are already in school. A couple of recruits may be lost due to this because the families of the kids may not be as comfortable with UT anymore.

lomas98 writes:

I believe next week is a no contact period with recruits as well. Not good when all they will hear and read is the NCAA investigation with no coaches being able to talk to them.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to ThePhantom_96_06_08:

Please inform us, Captain Enlightenment, of exactly what is going on. You seem to have supreme knowledge of everything.

Bearwuzacheater writes:

in response to Ghost_of_Bear_Bryant:

This is coming from a ghost who really knew how to cheat and get away with it!

in response to DukeDeLuca:

Duke, I have had my disagreements with you before, not that you necessarily noticed, but I must say that I am impressed by your sincerity and willingness to reexamine your positions. Most posters on here seem to make a virtue of never admitting they might have been wrong or sticking to their stated positions no matter what new information comes to mind. In other words, they learn nothing and they forget nothing.

We may have our disagreements again in the future--I'm not sure I agree with everything you have said here--but I respect you as a fair-minded man, and I promise I will always give your ideas and opinions a thorough inspection before I decide to differ with you again.

Thanks for setting an example that many on here would do well to emulate!

greyrdr#636541 writes:

Alabama was paying coaches to ushers their players to come there (A. Means) and Southern Cal had players getting homes directly from agents (R.Bush), and both received wrist slaps if even that. This hostess things should go away quickly and quietly. If not- it's a witch hunt.

bmvolfan writes:

in response to ThePhantom_96_06_08:

Hey, what do you not get about "parted ways" with the two hostesses? As in went their separate ways. Stop trying to prove any points. You are making yourself look like a typical gator idiot.

OTPVol writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

ditto

CrankE writes:

Not surprised that Witch_Doctor is on the right trail with this. Witch_Doctor should be able to spot witch hunt.

Urban Meyer; "no comment" = "I'd really love to tell you what I think but I'd prefer not to get fined a BMW by the SEC office as well as give UT the publicity. So instead, I'll say no comment let my glare do the talking (like Derek Zoolander's Magnum pose)."

TommyJack writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Thanks for setting an example that many on here would do well to emulate!

John. Say you don't mean it.

cmoore7 writes:

Attention all media members: Charles Miller just told you to go f@%^ yourselves.

Kiffin may have lost 5 games this yer, but he has yet to lose a media/spin battle. If you are 40 years old, this may seem like a pretty bad situation. If you are 18 years old and pretty good at football, Kiffin will use this situation as a recruiting tool to get you. It's that age group's perception of this situation that really matters.

GOJO writes:

in response to FEARinSEC:

How many times are you going to post the same thing???
"HollowedHead" sounds about right....

***
How many times are you going to post stupid questions? Witch Doc is probably the most knowledgeable one here

UrbanCryer writes:

plain and simple. witch hunt! other teams are really gonna be cryin when kiff gets the talent to back up his talk.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to ThePhantom_96_06_08:

We're becoming fast friends, Phantom. I feel as though I know what you will type before you type it.

vol_4_fan writes:

Again, it really blows my mind that a story that has the attention of the sports world & mainly would impact the schools in the SEC teams the most would be breaking news from the NYT!! Come on man.....

allntl1#565211 writes:

in response to ThePhantom_96_06_08:

I think I can speak for most Vol fans when I say we would like to part ways with you. Go away. Get a job.

in response to TommyJack:

John. Say you don't mean it.

Specifics, please.

516milesfromUT writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

i have to agree that CLK has UT in his heart. any body thinking diffrently, see Wes Browns pick 6. he didn't throw down Crompton for no reason. he became our coach, became a Vol fan, became a Vol. Hamilton would be the one to get his Throat cut on this. not OUR COACH!

ctownvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Specifics, please.

Knowing TJ the way I do, I think I can safely answer this...He was just saying that surely you don't agree with ol Duke. Seems as though there has always been a good bit of tension with those two. At least as long as I have been "involved" here.

kdaff51 writes:

SO LET ME GET THIS RIGHT.

AS A FAN AND SUPPORTER OR TENNESSEE ATHLETICS I GO TO A HIGH SCHOOL GAME WEARING AN ORANGE AND WHITE TENNESSEE T SHIRT AND HOLD A SIGN SAYING "COME TO TENNESSEE". THE NCAA FINDS OUT ABOUT THIS, STARTS AN INVESTIGATION AND PLACES TENNESSEE ON PROBATION FOR MY ACTIONS.

IF THIS IS THE CASE I JUST BECAME A BAMA, GATOR, BULLDOG, TIGER, ETC....FAN!

LOOKOUT URBAN ILL BE IN PAHOKEE OPENING NIGHT WITH A SIGN SAYING "COME TO FLORIDA".

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to kdaff51:

SO LET ME GET THIS RIGHT.

IF THIS IS THE CASE I JUST BECAME A BAMA, GATOR, BULLDOG, TIGER, ETC....FAN!

And Slive will be right there with Urban. You'll be able to recognize Slive by the way too tight Tebow replica jersey he'll be wearing.