Report: NCAA looking at UT's use of hostesses for recruiting

Tennessee Media Guide photo of hostesses.

UTSports.com

Tennessee Media Guide photo of hostesses.

The New York Times is reporting that the NCAA is conducting a wide-ranging investigation into the University of Tennessee’s football recruiting practices, according to interviews with several prospects, their family members and high school administrators. A significant part of the investigation is focused on the use of recruiting hostesses who have become folk heroes on Tennessee Internet message boards for their ability to help lure top recruits.

The newspaper said NCAA officials have visited four prospects and are scheduled to visit two others this week in an investigation covering at least three states.

Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton confirmed that an investigation was underway to the newspaper but declined to elaborate.

Read the full story by the by The New York Times.

Related Stories

UT4ever writes:

Funny how UT Hostesses are the only cute girls who "lure" prospects.......I mean, that's what they're all used for.....at every school!! Duhhh!!

chrisw2967 writes:

This is a joke , the NCAA is trying to find anything to dig up on Tenn. I guess they are trying to hurt our recruiting this year.Nothing will come of this.

MiserableFloridaVol writes:

Thinking outside the box. I like it.

Txvol57 writes:

this is phooey!! No different than any other school...I'm sure USC "the NCAA's baby" uses some real bow-wows when the recruits come on campus out there in Hollywood!!

utvol2485 writes:

If the NCAA is so concerned with secondary violations why don't they take a trip to Columbus, Ohio and talk to Jim Tressel. If memory serves me correct the Buckeyes have set the standard for secondary recruiting violations in the last few years.

volsfaninkpt writes:

This story is bogus! This has been going on for years at every school in the nation. I actually sit next to a girl in my season tickets up in JJ that use to be a hostess about 3-5 years ago while she was attending the University of Tennessee. She is real pretty, real nice, and all of the above, but this is nothing more than some people trying to dig something up on Tennessee before we start dominating the conference once again!

BSweet writes:

We're hosed no matter what. If CLK and staff have committed violations, we face probation. If they haven't it doesn't matter with recruiting. An NCAA investi-GATOR showing up at your door is something bound to scare some kids off. The timing here is very suspect. The NCAA must be very confident they have something on us to be so reckless during this pivotal recruiting period. That, or they're complete idiots.

BSweet writes:

BTW, I wonder how Miller and Willis will feel about Lattimore speaking for them like that? Not cool, not cool at all.

AceVentura writes:

in response to BSweet:

This is just a little hey let's scare the new guy. Kiff has this under control. You can't put a program on probation over some hostesses. Look at FSU's textbook scandal and they aren't on probation. nothing major here just a joke by the NCAA

Snapshot writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

FYI prostitution is NOT legal in Las Vegas, just in some areas of Nevada, not that I am that familiar with it or anything!

chrisw2967 writes:

in response to Snapshot:

you found out the hard way huh ? how much was the ticket ?jk

bradr114 writes:

"Child Please" is what the NCAA gets for this one.

UT4ever writes:

Could be USCjr, too.......jerkovs.....HOHOHO!!!

mlsoft#228820 writes:

in response to BSweet:

I agree -- the timing of this "investigation" smells worse that whatever they are investigating. It would not surprise me if slive had something to do with it.

The liberal use of hostesses is commonplace with most big time college programs, and they have been around at UT for many years, long before Coach Kiffin came here.

I suspect that even the witch doctor was entertained by some nubile hostesses when he was recruited by his alma mater.

mlsoft

redmanvol writes:

It is amazing how this comes up right before the SEC east 2nd team whoops one of the ACC favorites. Sex sells, even in college football. F$%k the nation we are the poop. Go Vols!!!!!

richvol writes:

The NCAA will find this practice at any SEC school but it sure is interesting to see us being picked on. You can lay this at the feet of Slive and jealous coaches like Meyer,Spurrier and the programs we have hurt with our recruiting.

In these matters look to see who benefits from Tennessee being under investigation. I wonder who that would be?

This has been going on for decades at UT and all SEC schools. When I was in high school in the 60's my girlfriend was approached by UT to be a hostess for recruits. Coach Dickey was the coach then and I'm sure it was,and still is,being practiced at Alabama and elsewhere.

We are particularly susceptible to scrutiny because we have the prettiest girls of any SEC school and the rivals can't stand it or compete on the same level.

Slive...need I say more.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

there may not be anything to this, I don't know, but I don't think it is good for us to have the NCAA watching every move UT makes.Eventually this will turn off some recruits because they will be afraid the NCAA is watching them too closely, too.

morgeron writes:

Can coach Kiffin and crew pls stop breaking freaking rules ? "Everybodys doing it" doesnt cut it. It is a loser mentality. 5-7 and 7-5 is loser records at TN. He better win and fast because his antics are getting old. TALK IS CHEAP AND HE IS A BIGGGGG TALKER. I mean I love my vols but this is getting embarrassing and wayyyy old with this group of meathead coaches.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

Grasping at straws. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING to try to derail the LaneTrain. This is becoming rediculous. Potentially, Young Coach Kiffin may be at Tennessee for 50 years.
The NCAA in general and the SEC in particular do not want to deal with a 30 something JoePa, Bobby, or Bear. The only advice I can give them is : Deal with it. Young Coach Kiffin will be at U.T for DECADES!
Go Vols!
Jerome

teampenny#658108 writes:

Why do we always think folks are picking on us? Just more of that newspaper press we like.

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to teampenny#658108:

Why do we always think folks are picking on us?
I don't know.
Could it be because we are singled out to be investigated at a critical time in recruiting for a practice that is as common sunrise?
Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Lostvolinhighweeds writes:

in response to morgeron:

Georgia can use another fan.

eldr5#344719 writes:

What a joke the NCAA has become. Kiffin runs his mouth a little bit and now they are trying to ruin the staff's ability to recruit based on some bogus charges. This story will hurt UT and the NCAA should have kept this under wraps until after National Signing Day. It's a vast conspiracy by the Big Orange haters. lol.

hueypilot writes:

Pretty funny. The New York Times runs a story on this. And when emails are discovered where scientists are caught burying data that would contradict the global warming theory, they ignore it. All the news they say is fit to print. Seriously, it does bother me that the NY Times is the one to break this story. A little far from home for them, wouldn't you say?

volunteer_cowboy writes:

in response to BSweet:

what did lattimore say on thier behalf?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to hueypilot:

You put your finger on it Huey. It's the NYT, we know what's good for you. I liked the two references to Kiffin's 6 secondary violations like that was way out of the ordinary.

That said, I think the unusualness of this is the "hostesses" traveling 200 miles. Not that they exist. Hostesses on campus is not unusual.

forkball writes:

Folk heroes on Tennessee Internet message boards? Must have slept through that one.

ut98champs#251675 writes:

I am looking at the 2001 football guide that has a picture of that years Vol Hostesses with their names on page 316. That is not exactly hidding it. Unless the NCCA has passed a rule that they can't travel for any reason, I don't know what the fuss is about. And who is the Lattimore kid anway?

vol88 writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

You're gonna get flamed out of here for that one.

If you had ever attended UT you would know that we and every other school have had hostesses for decades.

KnoxTennVol writes:

It looks like the use of the hostess for recruiting on campus is not the problem according to this article. I posted a link to an article that says the hostess was used in an off campus recruiting trip. That seems to not be allowed. I hope nothing much comes of this.

Maverickman writes:

Nothing to this go get them recruits coach

ThurmondEppy writes:

This has been around since I was at UT in the late 80s and early 90s. In fact, I thought that we had eliminated them or ratcheted back on how much we used this program. Anyway, my girlfriend at the time was part of this crew and all they did was walk recruits and their families around campus in their orange sportcoats. It was so benign and harmless that it wasn't even funny. If something had been going on you can bet ol' Thurmond would have yanked his girlfriend out of that program with a quickness. I was the jealous type.

Madkels writes:

in response to bradr114:

"Child Please" is what the NCAA gets for this one.

I'll throw in a poncho and sombrero!

tonyvick#213307 writes:

The NCAA can get anyone at any time. I think with the permission of Slive they have decided to get Tennessee. For Shame.

volswithclass writes:

Congratulations Lane and Company - it took you about a year to get the NCAA after you. No investigations during Fulmer's watch. Lane will probably say that this was part of his master plan to keep UT in the news for recruiting. How many times can the guy embarass the University.

87UTVOL writes:

Given the hundreds, if not thousands of photos of CLK, don't you think it's interesting that the photo the NYT's ran with their story was from the "Gainesville Sun"?

Someone probably saw these girls at the high school game, reported it to some school and someone called the NCAA. Now, the NYT's and NCAA are acting like the 'hostess' deal doesn't go on at virtually every big school. Let's hope this is much ado about nothing.

Hounddog writes:

I hope the NCAA dosen't find out about the beaches in Florida. I have been all over that state this past year. There are a mess of hostesses and few are dressed. But, UT 's known as the hottest.

Hope that dosen't get out.

Let's play football. Hounddog

Southland writes:

RJ_Vol writes:

This will be nothing to laugh at...The article said a "significant part" of the investigation included this. Evidently, there must be more as indicated by the NYT wording. I have a feeling there is more to this, or the NCAA would not be here. This happening during the middle of recruiting season will be devastating.

Hounddog writes:

in response to Southland:

Southland,
Come on. No ones's "you know what" is that small!

Let's play football. Hounddog

Volfan615 writes:

Somebody screwed us over on this one....I read somethin about this on a Vol forum a couple months ago and I really didnt think too much of it until this came up....

LaneTrain writes:

Yes, every school has 'hostesses'. BUT, they are not allowed to travel to meet recruits. That is what Lattimore said. And the reason he hasn't seen that? IT'S A VIOLATION. But hopefully, a secondary one. However, I get a little nervous when any investigation is going on because you never know what they 'might' stumble across.

BTW, what does 'a wide range' mean? That sounds more than hostesses. Read the article not just the poke that the KNS gave. 'Wide Range' has me a little nervous.

leedsvol2007 writes:

GRITS(Girls Raised In the South) are a major advantage. Of course the NCAA would like to eliminate any recruiting advantage any team has.

Schools in the Northeast are probably at a particular disadvantage.

Hopefully it is a tempest in a teapot.

GoVols!

rockytopatl writes:

You guys who say this is nothing are missing the point of the investigation: these hostesses seem to be traveling OFF CAMPUS and visiting the prospects in their high schools, at their games. That would make them representatives of the university on visits, official or not. How could they be traveling on their own dime? If true, it's trouble with a capital T.

GreerVol22 writes:

This to shall pass. Kiffin has pissed off Slive, Saban, Meyer, ESPN, and now that Pearl is getting recruits right out from under Boeheim, the NYTimes. The witch hunt is on, get used to it....no offense to the Doctor...

LaneTrain writes:

in response to rockytopatl:

Hate to say it, but you are right. Plus they don't come sniffing around for secondary violations. People on here can dismiss if they wish, but we better have all of our ducks in a row. I trust CLK does.

tennrich1 writes:

Not defending my Vols but i would question ANYTHING in the New York Times

VOLinFL writes:

in response to forkball:

Thats what I was thinking! Where is this message board and do I have to pay for a password???!!

Scuba_Curt writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

I suggest you check your facts, prostitution is NOT legal in Las Vegas. From the newspaper accounts of the last 2 weeks it does seem to be legal in Orlando, Fl. (check out Tigers wifes new contract if you don't believe me.)

hueypilot writes:

in response to Southland:

I think if my daughter or my girlfriend was one of these hostesses, who at this juncture haven't been accused of doing anything other than making a 200 mile round trip to a football game, was called a w@#$% by you, I'd slap you silly, Southland. Probably oughta dial back just a little bit until you find out what, if anything, Kiffin has done wrong. If 9 or 10 bimbo eruptions start popping up. a la Tiger Woods, then you've got something. Otherwise I don't see much here but a witch hunt. Has Kiffin ruffled feathers? You bet. Has he done anything wrong? Stay tuned.