Hamilton: Minimal feedback from boosters

Orange Pride not part of athletics department

Those who are paying the bills don't seem to mind the negative publicity concerning Tennessee's football program.

In an interview with the News Sentinel on Wednesday, UT athletic director Mike Hamilton said he hasn't received a significant reaction from boosters concerning two highly publicized, potential NCAA violations.

Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton

"Not really, no," Hamilton said. "And frankly I'm surprised I haven't heard more, given the depth and the breadth of our fan base . . . I've had a couple of e-mails, a couple of phone calls, but that's about it."

Tennessee is under investigation on at least two fronts.

In one case, two hostesses traveled to Byrnes High School in Duncan, S.C., to see UT defensive end commitments Brandon Willis and Corey Miller play football. If it is determined they went on their own accord, the violation would likely be deemed minor.

UT investigated its own practices when intern Steve Rubio traveled to the high school he attended, St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., along with head coach Lane Kiffin. Kiffin and Hamilton have said they don't believe Rubio made contact with any prospects, which would have been an NCAA violation, but likely secondary in nature.

"Five, 10 years ago, secondary violations reports were maybe reported on once a year," Hamilton said, "and it was a record of what happened in the last year, in a secondary-violation manner.

"Now we are writing individual exposes on every single potential secondary violation. The attention to those kinds of things has certainly grown over time."

Hamilton declined to speak at length about the investigation into UT's hostesses, but did offer the following: "Those are not organizations that are housed in the athletic program like they were at one time. Those are organizations that are housed in admissions.

"They have both academic and, in this case, some athletic responsibility. The individuals chosen are chosen by folks outside of athletics. They're policed by folks outside of athletics, and I think in this case this is an isolated incident that much was made of, that has been, frankly, misconstrued and sensationalized way beyond what it was."

Hamilton, however, had expressed a slightly different viewpoint on the allegations than Kiffin, who made comments last week that portrayed the allegations as complimentary because they meant UT was at the top of the recruiting heap.

"I don't think that necessarily is a bad statement," Hamilton said. "I just don't necessarily want us to be in a situation where we are highlighting potential violations. That's not something that I think is in the long run to the benefit for our program.

"We're going to make inadvertent mistakes every now and then, and we are going to deal with those and we are going to report them, but that's not something we want to have as a pattern, and I don't think that's what (Kiffin) was alluding to.

"I think he was alluding to the fact that if we are having success in recruiting then there are going to be those that are going to figure out how they can attack that from a multitude of different angles."

Opposing coaches can attack other schools in a number of ways, including reporting violations to the NCAA or leaking news of violations to the media.

"I don't think that it's beyond reason that might be happening, but also there might be a little conspiracy (theory) to that as well," Hamilton said. "Who knows? If you make yourself a target and you become a target for your success, you're going to have folks that want to tear you down almost in any business in life.

"So that might be out there, but we just need to take care of our own business and just let the rest of that happen."

Hamilton also commented on the national media outlets, which have reported much on the allegations but also played a significant part in UT's recruiting earlier this year by giving the Vols exposure.

"We certainly want that national attention to be all good, (but) we realize that it's not necessarily going to be that way all the time," Hamilton said. "But we'll continue to build relationships with those in the national media."

No Surprise: Hamilton hardly seemed shocked that the Vols have lost two assistant coaches recently: receivers coach Frank Wilson and running backs coach/special teams coordinator Eddie Gran.

Both had a chance for promotions and moved closer to home.

UT's assistant coaches rank among the top paid in the nation. That won't likely change.

"Well I think there is a limit, eventually; but, yeah, we've still got dollars available for Lane to go out and hire the right kind of coaches," Hamilton said.

Some of the money spent on UT's coaches will come from the $15 million UT received from the SEC's television contract, which was signed last year, and largely based on football.

Hamilton pointed out that UT's entire coaching staff, including Kiffin's $2 million annual salary, ranked fourth in the SEC last season.

"We will continue to invest in football to this extent, as that it is the source that is driving most of our revenue in the Tennessee athletic program," Hamilton said.

Close Connection: Hamilton said he doesn't believe Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs cut a deal with the Outback Bowl to usurp UT's bowl positioning.

"The Auburn athletic director is one of my dearest friends in college athletics," Hamilton said. "And I don't think that he would have ever promised a certain number of tickets, and I don't believe the bowl you're referencing made their decision on a basis of the number of tickets sold."

Guaranteeing a certain number of tickets sold is a violation of SEC rules.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

USNVOL writes:

GO vols!

DownTheField writes:

If Hamilton feels freed up to be this forthright and disclosing, then this whole thing really is all but over. Go Vols!

LifetimeVolFan writes:

Need more of these kind of articles....good info

Oklahoma_Vol_Fan writes:

Hamilton continues to impress me. He has a tough job, but seems to be managing the Athletic Department quite well. Many folks seem to like to second guess. The coaching has been improving over the past few years, facilities are improving... I like what I see! Mike... keep up the great work. I am a Vol Fan.

The1 writes:

I think you dont have many comments from boosters because there is nothing really to comment about. Two kids traveling to one's hometown to watch two other kids play a high school game is not comment worthy.

tnsportsman writes:

Mike Hamilton is a pro-active and level headed AD for UT! We as donors, supporters and fans support Mike and Lane 110%. Signee like Matt Simms JC QB today said 'after his trip to Knoxville; Tennessee was the only place he would want to play'. I'm sure his dad, Phil Simms would have made sure Matt did not come to Tennessee if there was anything more than secondary violations (If That) in this Witch Hunt by the NCAA and NYT.

To all the other SEC Coaches that may be behind this Witch Hunt (Spurrier, Meyer, Satan aka Sabin); beware we are buying and collecting facts, stories and names of your schools hostess programs and what we have so far would make a trip to a SC High School game look like going to sunday school! Be careful in throwing stone Harpeth Vally PTA!

mercuryvol writes:

Good article.Summation:HoHum.

britt writes:

Speaking of our missing assistants... I heard Kippy Brown is a possibility as WR coach. Pickens Gault Harper those are some good references

UKenshin writes:

Hamilton is receiving minimal feedback from boosters because these are very minimal issues.

It is a hostesses' job to be friendly to visiting recruits. The girls became friends with the boys and promised to come watch a game. Tennessee already had verbal commitments from the two they were there to see. The football program did not put the girls up to the visit nor did they have knowledge of it.

The other issue is not exactly as exciting as attractive college age females flirting with high school boys, but it is a little closer to a recruiting violation by UT coaching staffers.
An intern took the opportunity to tag along with Kiffin when he was headed to his old high school. There is no evidence that he met with any recruits. No evidence means no issue and no repercussions.

Kiffin has painted a target on his Volunteers by being brash and abrasive towards other coaches, Slive, and the NCAA in general. Don't get me wrong. I love him. You just cannot paint a target and expect no one to shoot at it.

Hamilton is being level headed about the severity and scope of these inquiries. The boosters are happy with this year's improvement and will stay that way until something significant happens.

topgun writes:

OK, please straighten me out here. All the KNS headlines here say we are "under investigation." I thought I read it was a "review" which seems to be terminology different from "Investigation." What's the real story?? Thanks.

TommyJack writes:

in response to UKenshin:

Your post makes entirely too much sense.

dvols writes:

heard the interview, hamilton said in the past schools self report secondary violations once a year....all of a sudden, every one tn committs is public info.....hmmmmm.....hamilton cool as a cucumber said just a sign of the times with espn and such.........very intresting

go big orange

CoverOrange writes:

I don't understand why the internal investigation of the intern is taking more than 5 minutes.

CLK: Hey, Steve,
ISR: Yes, Coach Kiffin?
CLK: When we went down to Florida, what did you do at the local high school?
ISR: I went to the john and saw my old english teacher, Ms. Harbrace and my old math teacher Mr. Al G. Bra.
CLK: Did you bump into any student athletes?
ISR: Nope. Classes were over and nobody was around.
CLK: Great, write that up and sign it and give it to Mikey, I mean, Mr. Hamilton.

Done. Even if he did see somebody he wasn't suppose to, that could be known right away. What's to investigate? Are they awaiting DNA evidence of the toilet he used?

RockinTop writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Yeah, I caught that. They know and if not, they will.

Go Big Orange!

UKenshin writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

CLK: Hey, Steve,
ISR: Yes, Coach Kiffin?
CLK: When we went down to Florida, what did you do at the local high school?
CLK: Did you bump into any student athletes?
ISR: Nope. Classes were over and nobody was around.

That was a lovely summation. I believe the University has already stated they believe there was no contact between ISR and any student athletes. The internal investigation is done. It's external inquiries that are still coming. It would be nice to see a signature on something though.

Voluvr writes:

Only outsiders are perplexed by the happiness of the fan base. UT fans have endured a lot through the decades. It's pretty exciting to have a brash, confident, creative coach that doesn't put up with anything and knows how to coach and relate to the players.

Attention outsiders, we are happy because we know that championships are coming.

West_TN_VOL77 writes:

Nice article...I'm impressed considering the dribble we've had to read for the last few days...i agree with Witch Doctor...I think they have pinpointed the dipstick who cried wolf....all i can say is Mr. Hamilton sounds awfully confident and payback is a biatch....

I love our AD, our coaches, and our beloved Vols!!
GBO!!

hcjournals#206623 writes:

We need to be careful on the front end for awhile......We are a target and, at this point, discretion is the better part of valor........We are and always have been seen as the good guys. We need to embrace that.....always....Life is just easier that way.....

volfan73120#211815 writes:

I just ran across this article concerning Alabama. Should Alabama be ineligible for the coaches poll, hence out of BCS Championship?
December 10th, 2009 by Vince Mullins
From reader Steve via e-mail, rock solid research and based in fact, but I fear this will likely go the way of the “Barack Obama was not born in the USA so he cannot be President” campaign. But let’s see if we can break down this BC-Mess, shall we? Please forward to your favorite blogs, websites and writers:
It appears that either the USA Today Coaches poll members must re-vote in order to recalculate the final BCS standings, OR The National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame, Inc. should move up the University Cincinnati’s football team to play the University of Texas football team in the BCS Championship game.
At the bottom of the AFCA page with the Coaches Votes it specifically states:
“The AFCA prohibits coaches from voting for schools on major NCAA probation.”
And I think it is very clear they are on “major” probation due to a textbook scandal.
Even though they appealed, the infractions are not set aside per below NCAA Bylaw:
32.10.2 – Determinations of fact and violations arrived at by the Committee on Infractions shall not be set aside on appeal.

Based on these circumstances, the University of Alabama football team is required receive 0 (zero) points from the USA Today Coaches poll, giving them a recalculated BCS average of 0.6656, thus moving them down to number 8 on the BCS final standings:gibility to play in BCS championship game. Wonder what the Bama trolls think of it.

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to West_TN_VOL77:

I love our AD, our coaches, and our beloved Vols!!
GBO!!

I am in total agreement with you 100%!!Right on! Vols TCB...Keep on keeping on....GBO!!!

milesofsmiles writes:

It's just wonderful that the New York Times CARE so much about UT. Just like the POLS. and Health Care. We are really loved. I believe both of them are just about out of jobs. Smiles to the VOLS.

MoralVictory writes:

The1 writes:

in response to MoralVictory:

I think the reason Tebow didn't come to TN is becoming a bit clearer. He was afraid of receiving unwanted attention from females. Thankfully, for his sake, FL was apparently better able to meet his needs when it came to host gender.

jimr07 writes:

in response to compact2:

I am in hopes that they still plan to play the games. Nice positive post.

lahvolman2 writes:

in response to Jamestown17:

YOU... IDIOT... ARE JUST THAT... AN IDIOT.....

rockytop#413695 writes:

in response to MoralVictory:

From your immature comments on this board I'm sure you are not old enough to have any children. A word of advice from a father. If you called my daughter loose, I would hunt you down like the chicken shttt you are and believe me, you would be eating more than your words when I was through with you. Good thing those two young ladies you called "loose" with not a spec of evidence, are not my daughters. But they are somebody's and I would love to introduce you to their dads. You know nothing about morality nor ethical bars, so crawl back into the swamp before you say something that really pssss me off.

DC_Vol writes:

in response to rockytop#413695:

Great Post!

CrankE writes:

in response to volfan73120#211815:

December 10th, 2009 by Vince Mullins
At the bottom of the AFCA page with the Coaches Votes it specifically states:
“The AFCA prohibits coaches from voting for schools on major NCAA probation.”

I noticed that blog post on 12/11 I think. I linked it here earlier, but there's been little interest.

This isn't merely a bad or questionable call on the field. Rather than reporting on the Grand Theft BCS that's going on, the NYT would rather talk about UT hostesses. (Look! Over there! What's that!? Pay no mind to this little section of the rulebook.)

Cincinnati could file a lawsuit against AFCA and BCS as they would suffer irreparable harm. Since their coach is going to ND and they're too busy egging his house, they must not care. And since no one else wants to upset the apple cart, they must not care either. As much as I dislike them, this isn't about Alabama. It's about the rule of law. The undeniable message being sent is that a) There are anointed favorites who will be protected from all misfortune by the powers that control the game. To me, this justifies every charge of favoritism made this season against the SEC league office. b) Cheating DOES pay-two wrongs DO make a right. c) If you're not one of those anointed favorites, then whether you win or lose the game, you're wasting your time.

rockytop#413695 writes:

in response to DC_Vol:

Great Post!

Thanks DC. I get so tired of these prics sitting behind their keyboards and talking smack when they know their is no consequences. Especially when their team's head coach is the whiniest wiesel I have ever seen. Still waiting on immoral's response.

Mule_Days_King writes:

in response to compact2:

You're absolutely correct. Kiffin can't coach. He won't be able to make the young players any better.
All this recruiting is a waste of time because according to you we have already lost those games.

Save the neck for me, Clark.

thvol writes:

The article states that if the hostesses went on their own accord then the consequences are minor. My question is if the girls went on their own accord how can their be any kind od consequence at all. I don't think the NCAA should be in the business of telling someone what they can and cant do on their own free will. What a crock. The NCAA is a money grubbing greedy low down organization and has no place to tell people how they should conduct their lives.

BigVolD writes:

in response to rockytop#413695:

As a father of 2 myself, I 100% concur with your statement! Great post.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to rockytop#413695:

What rocky said.

I would be happy to lend a hand with that introduction.

standfast#211788 writes:

Lane Kiffin is doing a good job rebuilding a once-strong program that has been in decline in recent years; but let's face it -- Mr. Kiffin is only here until (a) he get's fired, (b) his father decides to retire, or (c) he get's a better offer. He has no historical, traditional or emotional attachment or investment in the University or its football program. He is only a hired gunslinger with a job to do. Once again, I generally support his efforts, but when that better offer comes along and he moves on, let's just hope he doesn't leave a mess -- a rogue program with a sullied reputation bereft of integrity. It took Miami many years to recover from their debacle, if in fact they have recovered. Time will tell.

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to rockytop#413695:

I'm thinking a dude who stays behind the keyboard 24/7 surfing rival's websites has an internet girlfriend at best. Good thing as we don't need these arse clowns procreating. As I stated on the other post, if he/she does have kids, then he/she is a pathetic parent for being on here 24/7 instead of spending time with the kids. Sad, pathetic little life they lead. PS, excellent post.

Incinigator writes:

in response to tnsportsman:

I respect your support of the program at ut. I detest the rule breaking/bending at ANY school.

However, if the investigation finds nothing (and I believe it will) different from any other program, then why not take the high road and simply get revenge by winning on the field ? "Buying and collecting" facts will do nothing but fuel the ugliness and the entire SEC will lose in the long run.

Most SEC schools have squealed on another, at one point, and what has been accomplished ? Illegal conduct will surface on its own, eventually.

BigVolD writes:

in response to Incinigator:

Whoever is involved (UF, USCe, FSU, Clemson, or whoever), the favor will be returned. Remember, revenge is a dish best served cold. Better hope your house is in order. The days of letting people kick UT and saying 'aw shucks it's all in fun.' are over.

flafan2001 writes:

in response to BigVolD:

We're selling 'I Turned in UT' shirts for $20 each. $25 and we can have it autographed by Nu'Keese. BTW, How's the meetings showing off Nu'Keese to the boosters going, Lame?

Incinigator writes:

in response to BigVolD:

I enjoy revenge as much as anyone, but IMO, the only revenge is winning ON the field. Petty squealing over minor situations (ie. recruiting, officiating, scheduling etc.) is a tool for those NOT winning games, IMO. I still believe that you can win AND lose with dignity. No one believes that ut will not soon be back winning big games. Personally, I just don't see the need for or the long term benefits of supporting off the field antics.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to standfast#211788:

Must be nice to be able to foresee the future. How about giving some tips on playing the lottery?
Negative posters like you are like gnats - aggravating, but no sting.

drum45 writes:

Fire this PUNK NOW!! It's already embarassing enough, even before the announcement of all the ineligble players for the bowl game due to academics!!!!

murrayvol writes:

in response to Navalorange:

Good news Naval. The good ship FU is taking on water. It's all downhill or sideways from here.

Urbie is wringing his hands and wonderin' how the hell he's gonna field a team that really wants to play Cincy in the Sugar.

He's also wishing he'd taken that ND carrot.

jaWn writes:

in response to volfan73120#211815:

December 10th, 2009 by Vince Mullins
At the bottom of the AFCA page with the Coaches Votes it specifically states:
“The AFCA prohibits coaches from voting for schools on major NCAA probation.”

I'm sorry to tell you this, but the second you make a reference to the conspiracy theory of "Obama isn't a citizen" you throw your entire argument under a shroud of paranoid rambling. I'm not going to bother trying to convince you of anything political, because I know it's pointless and this isn't a political board (and politics should be freakin left out of it!).

However, as for Bama being on "major" probation. They aren't. They are on probation as per the NCAA for a "major violation". Basically, this is the step up from secondary violation, and nearly always comes with probation. Alabama did not lose scholarships or get any major sanctions, and if they don't have any major violations by 2012, it all disappears. This is not the type of probation that prevents you from receiving votes in the USA Today Coach's Poll, it's the type of probation that says "keep your nose clean for a bit, and you're ok." Seriously, stop diving into the deep end every time you hear a somewhat plausible conspiracy theory just because you don't like who it's about, or want the outcome it gives.

GO VOLS!