Full-speed ahead for Vols' offense

Crompton tells Kiffin to open up playbook

ATLANTA - Lane Kiffin tried to slow things down.

Apparently the Tennessee coach overruled himself with the blessing of his quarterback.

After spending some time early in the week worrying that with so much extra time to prepare the Vols had put much too much into their game plan, Kiffin backed up a little bit after Tuesday's practice in the Georgia Dome.

A conversation with Jonathan Crompton proved to Kiffin that UT is handling the playbook just fine, so it's once again full speed ahead on offense heading into Thursday's Chick-fil-A Bowl against Virginia Tech (TV: ESPN, 7:30 p.m.).

"I thought a lot about it and I just kind of went back to what I knew, and I've had this same feeling in a lot of bowl games before," Kiffin said. "There's so much time and you put so much stuff in, it's really the passing game and not the running game it affects.

"It's about the quarterback. As long as the quarterback understands everything - and I spent some time with him (Monday) and he feels great about the game plan - we're not going to limit it. We're going to continue to have everything available for us."

Having all those options available has helped Kiffin in the past. He cited multiple examples of productive passing games in bowls while he was with Southern California.

That history certainly played a part in his decision to basically leave the plan alone at this point, though the trust established between him and Crompton late in the season might have helped Kiffin talk himself out of scaling it down.

"He didn't listen to himself," offensive coordinator Jim Chaney joked. "I looked back on some notes after we became bowl eligible from my time at Purdue, and it said, 'Slow down, don't put too much stuff in because you've got a tremendous amount of time on your hands.'

"I think we've done a pretty good job of putting some barometers on ourselves so we don't get too crazy, but you do have to watch that. There's no question you can fall victim to that with the time that you have.

"You're used to a regular game week where you have time constraints on those issues; you don't now, but I think we've done a pretty fair job of that."

If the bonus preparation time was making the Vols a little paranoid, at this point it might have also made the plays a bit repetitive.

That's a good problem to have, but by now both teams just seem ready to put their plans to use.

"It seems like we've practicing for thereabouts a decade to get to this football game, so we've got a lot of practice time," Chaney said. "Montario (Hardesty) and I were just laughing. It seems like we've run one play about 30 times, so if we screw that up in the game I'm going to be awfully upset.

"There comes a time and a place. It's time to play the game, and we definitely feel like it's there."

Lock In: UT has had its fun. With kickoff closing in, Kiffin is just concerned with making sure the Vols aren't having too much.

"We're trying to tighten it up," Kiffin said. "There are so many distractions obviously with a bowl game in general; but being in a city like Atlanta, it's time for our players to really understand that they've had a lot of fun, it's been really enjoyable, but we need to focus on one thing now, and that's winning a big-time bowl game.

"We're doing everything we can to try to keep their focus, but it's different for them. They're in a hotel all week long and there were a lot of events through the bowl for them to go to.

"As enjoyable as it is, they need constant reminders that the main thing they're here for is to get a win for Tennessee in what I consider to be a BCS bowl."

Kiffin hasn't given any indication that he won't have his full roster available for it, which means all of the players are academically eligible and staying out of trouble.

"We've done well for the most part," Kiffin said. "Everything's not perfect, but I'm pleased about what they've done.

"It's a continual battle, it kind of takes the fun out of it for you as a coach because you're in a constant worry when you have so many kids in a city like this. We'll continue to lock them down and keep them focused."

Tip of The Hat: Most of the attention during Tuesday's press conference with the coordinators for both teams was on Monte Kiffin and his impressive legacy. But the UT defensive coordinator did his best to shine the spotlight elsewhere.

"I can't say enough about (Virginia Tech's) staff," he said. "I know that's the thing you're supposed to say, right? But let me tell you something, you know how hard it is to win 10 games? They do it every year it seems like.

"I mean that, it's a great job. We got to seven and we worked our tail off just to get to seven."

Bumps and Bruises: Bryce Brown was given full medical clearance to return for the Vols, and the freshman running back will play on Thursday.

Defensive tackle Wes Brown was limited during practice again with a leg issue, but the senior also is expected to be available against the Hokies.

"We should be at full strength," Kiffin said.

keywestvol writes:

Lets go VOLS. Lets fry some Turkeys!

volsare1 writes:

CANT WAIT

SEAL_9821 writes:

It's time to put the women and children to bed and go get this one boys! GO VOLS

V_O_L_S_GO_VOLS_GO writes:

SECTION 122 ROW 31 HERE I COME!!!! GO VOLS!!!

Thad123 writes:

Bring on the Hokies! GBO

crimsonviper writes:

GBO!! It's time for some real football.

JaxVol5 writes:

The Hokes are gonna realize they never wanted that match up in Bristol

sidwalkvol writes:

Has anyone called Pennington on his outright lies regarding "up to eight" UT players being suspended for the game? How does he get away with that phooey-ola?

Heading down Thursday morning. Can't WAIT till Thursday night. Cook us up some gospel bird!

Volsfan94 writes:

Section 135, Row 16! It will be amazing!
GO VOLS!!!

VOLoom writes:

Ummmm, I'm glad we are in a bowl game, but I wouldn't call it a "major" bowl or a BCS bowl. Don't strain your shoulder coach patting yourselves on the back, because this is just a good start not what we want year after year. This isn't KY or Arkansas or Vanderbilt. Getting to the chicken bowl might be fine for them, but not for the Big Orange. We should have much higher goals. After this year, the chicken bowl or any other second or third tier bowls will be viewed as a disappointment.

vol_chaz writes:

Crompy can take it coach....Keep 'em guessing all night.

volstuckinMI writes:

You can never be too prepared. GO VOLS!

bigorangeskrew writes:

Oh, no! Sorry to mention this, but they're saying that Crompton has a couple seconds to think. Quit messing with my head! I bet Hounddog is ready to play some ball.

volsn3 writes:

club section 215...thanks E-BAY...and way under face value....i can't wait

volfaninutah writes:

in response to VOLoom:

Geez Voloom, make up your mind. You contradicted yourself in one paragraph. Yeah it's great to be in a late bowl. After the abortion we went thru last year, being in any bowl is great. We were picked to finish in the bottom of the SEC east. Pretty nice turnaround I should say. Other than the UCLA game and Ole Miss, we made a good effort every Saturday. That can't be said about 2008. The goals next year WILL be higher. GO Vols!

orangepridenation writes:

well since our offense has been in sink pretty much the entire second half of the year. and now our defense has had a month to heal up, i think the vols win this one and crack the top 25.

kifslostcred writes:

Thursday is going to be a fun day; the basketball game in the afternoon then the bowl game. I am hyperventilating already. Oh and before I forget, got to stock up the icebox with some refreshing beverages....ahhhhhhhh it dosen't get much better than this. I sense victory's in the air. GO BIG ORANGE!

SWAVol writes:

If we beat VT and do not crack the top 25 we got jabbed!

69vol08 writes:

in response to sidwalkvol:

Actually, he was right...there were several that were "close" to being academically ineligible, but somehow they all made it. Included in the list of "up to eight" was EB and other key players. Main thing is that they made it, but don't be down on Pennington...he was correct, the staff I am aquainted with thought that they weren't going to make it at the time.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Hokies.

Period.

Bring it Vols, no punts or turkey punt returns.

Time of possession game. Contain the run.

Have adult beverages, erase recent past Dome memories.

VOLume27 writes:

Go away troll.

VOLume27 writes:

in response to brown-bag-vol-fan:

No. Gosh I hope not.

But I would like to see thousands of "Come to Tennessee" signs!

JBVol writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Or the "great" lame urbie cryer proclaiming he is "retiring because of health", then 13 minutes later saying, "I'm better now".
He must have got that idea from Monty Python, "She turned me into a newt.....well, I got better", now that DC, is real comedy.

wjackson#226202 writes:

DC, with you not being a Vol fan. I can see you not understanding fully. But you have to look at what Fulmer left him. Considering the talent we were left with. Except for a few. These guys definetly accomplished alot this year. I mean look how well the Vols played Alabama in their house. 4 different OC's in 4 years. For this coaching team to bring these kids together to accomplish what they have. He is using these phrases to let the kids know how much they have accomplished. Do you think the kids would be more pumped up if Kiffin said "Well guys. We squeaked into this bowl game. I hope we win"? The reason Florida is down on themselves is they were expected to go undefeated and win the NC. Sometimes you are a decent poster and sometimes you come off as a jerk. I would hope that you are a decent guy and can appreciate the SEC at large since it is bowl season. I HATE Florida during the season. But since it is bowl time. I will root for Florida and Alabama. But make no mistake. I Bleed Orange as I was born and raised in Knoxville. But WE are ALL SEC now.

cloudodust writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

I'm hearing Urbie has a contract to promote Zoloft. One could tell with his 'deer-in-the-headlights' look in the SECCG that he knows what lies ahead in the years to come for the Mighty Gators...See ya on your way down.

notoriousBIGorange writes:

Dingle Crack, c'mon man!
A Fla fan is gonna rip CLK for being comical???
C.U.M. is the laughingstock of college football and a complete nutcase so nothing he says can be taken seriously after Sundays press conference.
At least we know what C.U.M got for Xmas....flip flops

TheWaydown writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

DC, i'll tell you what is comical, you on this board. Are there TN fans on Gator boards, if so, they too should join you for a show at the Comedy Catch. What do you want Kiffin to say, "we sucked this year and deserved this awful bowl bid"? He's just trying to fire his team up and we are playing the 11th team in the country. I don't care what bowl game it is, it's a big deal for this football team. And honestly, after Urban Meyer acted this week, you've got absolutely no room to talk about Kiffin being comical. You are more delusional than Kiffin if you spin that positively.

GerryOP writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Enjoy the Lame Duck Bowl.

CrankE writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

The value of the opponent and the importance of the game to UT are enormous. But equating this with a BCS game is a stretch.

Kind of like Meyer's 24 hours to rearrange priorities of faith, family, and football. Or the flu that UF mysteriously had when they played UT. (Can't spell FLU without UF!) Or the "everybody was doing it" response that Tebow gave regarding Spikes eyegouging. Or that UF will continue to dominate the game after Strong goes to Louisville, Tebow and others go pro, and Meyer sits on the fence. I'll give you three tips; 1) Keep the Kleenex handy 2) Buy long on Kimberly-Clark stock 3) Go away, Gatroll

Mr_Brownstone writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

just spotted urban "little softie" meyer in that medic alert commerical. you know the one with the grandma that has fallen and can't get up. urban is the new guy yelling, "help i'm having chest pains."

GerryOP writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

Lil' DCgataboy, may I presume that we are not being "light-hearted" today? We're not? Good!

Speaking of clowns, when are we going to see lil' Urbie on ESPN again? I really miss the dramatic nonsense. I have never seen two guys glare at each other in hatred like Foley and lil' Urbie did and still have smiles on their faces. It is obvious that lil' Urbie tried to walk away and Foley "reminded" him what it would cost. It was soap opera on a Sunday afternoon.

So now we watch the sleazy, slimeball act of the century. Lil' Urbie hangs around until NSD ... then disappears for good. "Health concerns!" You gata trolls may be gullible enough to believe this BS, but recruits and their parents are not that naive.

Lil' DCgataboy, enjoy the Lame Duck Bowl. You will be watching lil' Urbie "prowling the sidelines" in a gata shirt for the last time.

Fear The Kiffin...

kyvol98 writes:

DC is able to post here because the Internet allows for free expression. I never agree with him, but he is entitled to be on here posting his, obvious, biased opinions. Of course, if he wasn't biased toward Florida, would he even be considered a fan?

That said, hope you have enjoyed your time at the top DC. It comes to an end in 2010.

Go Vols! (yeah, I am biased!)

Voicesnmyhead writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

HUH? WTH

beef4davols writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

I KNOW!!! How stupid is Kiffin? Trying to convince his team that this is a BIG game for UT against a big-time program. Hilarious!!! If he keeps that non-sense up the Vols might come out like this game means something and win.

Anyway, I am stepping away from this article to focus on my health and family...after reading this article I have decided not to step away.

RockyTop1_old writes:

in response to Mr_Brownstone:

Not funny!! Just a pathetic attempt at humor! Now to the subject we should be on ...GO VOLS beat the Hokies!!

DC_Vol writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

DC you must admit Tennesse has a better coaching staff top to bottom than Florida. For example, Lane and Monte Kiffin stopped Alabama's offense and nearly upset the Tide. We lost 12 - 10 and missed two field goals. We played a great game and no one in the media denies that fact.

Conversly, Urban Meyer and Charlie Strong had know idea of how to stop Alabama's offense. I laughed everytime I saw Urbies and Strongs deer in the headlight stares on the sideline. UF was soundly defeated by Alabama. Most of the media considered Meyer outmatched and outcoached by Saban. No one denies Florida had more talent and should have won the game, but their poor coaching by Urban Meyer caused the route of a good Florida team. Just to remind you, Alabama beat Florida 32 -13 an embarassment for a once proud Florida program.

See if you can answer these questions honestly.

1.Which team played Alabama tougher Florida or Tennessee?
2.Which coaching staff had a better gameplan against Alabama Florida or Tennessee?
3.Who has a better coaching staff top to bottom Florida or Tennessee?

Vol fans your opinions are welcome as well. I honestly believe UT has a better coaching staff and a brighter future than UF.

dvols writes:

sec.. couch fridge ... beer

go vols!

panties4tebow writes:

PLENTY of tickets are available for the Sugar Bowl......just call PEE WEE meyer @ 1-800-IAM-ANUT

281Vol writes:

DC_10Point0 is a Fluffer!!!

West_TN_VOL77 writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

In all honesty, I think Virgina Tech is a much more formidable opponent than Cincinatti. Definitely a much more interesting game than FL vs. CIN. I'm glad we got the Chick-Fil-A bowl instead of having to play Northewestern.

NashvillePreds writes:

I'm leaving for the game tomorrow. Urban, devoid of his boytoy Tebow, fears the Kiffin.

GerryOP writes:

in response to West_TN_VOL77:

West_TN, UF specializes in beating up on city college teams. Cincy will be their 3rd one this year.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to DC_10point0:

It's ok DC, it will all be over soon

your cubards are abouot to be bare, live this one up, suck it all in(we know you can do that)

Your a lame duck next year and you know it

Little Urbie knows it, the Gators know it

gbaird writes:

Does anyone else not really like Lane calling this game a "BCS game"? Kind of irks me.

Steel_Vol writes:

Vol86 writes:

Why not consider it a BCS game. The 11th Ranked hokies. The term bcs bowl is what it is bs

Bloodrunzorange writes:

It appears CLK is doing his part in keeping the team focused. I look forward to seeing the positive results. Go Vols and beat the Hokies!!

voloffaith writes:

in response to volfaninutah:

Poor choice of words in fourth sentence. Loose use of term associated with the death of the unborn is not appropriate in this context of a poor season last year.

BallBreaker writes:

in response to VOLume27:

No. Gosh I hope not.

But I would like to see thousands of "Come to Tennessee" signs!

Got my "COME TO TENNESSEE" sign ready!

volsdontsuck writes:

in response to VOLoom:

Dude we are playing the number 11 team in the country. It is a pretty big game. Even though we played num. 1 two times already this year.