Oku may delay decision after making visit to Auburn

It looks as if David Oku’s recruiting journey will go longer than expected.

The Tennessee tailback commitment from Carl Albert High School in Midwest City, Okla., has said he might postpone his final announcement until after National Signing Day on Wednesday.

The extra decision-making time is “because of the opportunity of coming down here,” Oku told The Birmingham News following his official visit to Auburn this weekend.

Oku was very complimentary of Auburn’s offense under first-year Tigers offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, who led Tulsa to a high-scoring offense as its coordinator for the past two seasons.

“Basically his offense is not fair from what I’ve seen,” Oku told the newspaper. “It’s not fair with some of the trick plays he has done. I was laughing at the plays because the defense didn’t know what was going on.”

Oku committed to UT in September but has since taken official visits to Auburn and Syracuse, where former UT running backs coach Stan Drayton is coaching.

Oku is considered the top all-purpose back by Rivals and one of the top 100 prospects in the nation.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

smashmouth98 writes:

not good!! Come on CLK get these players to sign!!!

OrangeAppeal writes:

I hope UT doesn't hold a scholarship after signing day for him. It would start a bad precedent. These kids need to be taught that a deadline is a deadline.

RJ_Vol writes:

Here are a few of scenarios...
1. Another back has secretly committed...a bigger, premier back. This possibly might even occur in 2010.
2. UT may not be using an all-purpose back in Kiffin's scheme, causing Oku's sway in decision making.
3. Creer's star is on the rise. Oku might have to ride the bench his first year.
4. Issues w/ unfamiliarity with new coaching staff are surfacing.
4. AND/OR we are in the process of losing a top flight player.

Doobz15 writes:

Hey Oku, all those trick plays were not against SEC defenses. This isn't high school anymore; it's time to grow up.

OrangeAppeal writes:

in response to HankHill:

<sarcasm> Well that certainly lends weight to your viewpoint! </sarcasm>

hotrodvol writes:

Sounds like he's gone.

MattDillon writes:

Oh,Oh Oku. The whole world awaits your decision. CLK will put everthing on hold to your ready to grace someones roster.LoL

gohawks1 writes:

I wonder if CLK still holds to that policy of "go ahead, have fun and visit those other universities"...

MrBamSeydu writes:

PRIMA DONNA!!!!

route33 writes:

Wish you well Oku wherever you go!!..but its Great to be a Tennessee Vol. GO VOLS!!!

OrangeAppeal writes:

What's funny is that if he waits until AFTER signing day, there will be slim pickins of good teams left out there with available scholarships. He'll wind up and Northern Iowa State.

Down_The_Field writes:

i'd hate to be in this guy's head when he drives up to the speaker at McDonalds to order. hummmm.....is it a #1 combo........no, make that a #3 supersized.......no, i'll take the....oh, i don't know........can i still get the McFlurry with either combo.......never mind, I'll come back tomorrow when I've decided..

TommyJack writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Ooo eee,ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang

OakyVol09 writes:

This will hurt. We are looking at possibly losing 5 4* players the final week of recruiting. Oku, Phillips, Stokes, Thigpen, Shackleford(sp?). DT does not bother me because we are getting Askew, most likely King, and Nelson. Oku does not hurt our team as much as it does our image of recruiting. We still have a stable of good running backs. Plus I think he is waiting to see if we sign Hardy and who AU signs and compare where he can get in the lineup the fastest. Shackleford and Oku will both be good players but are not must haves.

Phillips and Stokes are guys that we need at positions we need to improve in. Losing them could hurt in many ways in the up coming year.

I still do not think we can judge these coaches on this year's class. We have had an entire staff of coaches recruiting for about 2 1/2 weeks now. It is extremely late in the game and they have not had a chance to build relationships with players or show what UT will be like on the field. After these collective coaches have time to become a unit, with both coaching and recruiting, and time to build relationships with the 2010 recruits and beyond, then we will see if they can hold there own with the rest of the SEC. I believe in time they will prove they can. Can't wait until Wednesday and Spring Practice

Go Vols!!

OrangeAppeal writes:

in response to Down_The_Field:

How do think his fiance will feel?

I do.. I mean I don't... I mean I might... I mean... Mommy, will you help me!

kevin151 writes:

don't want him anymore. CLK should sign a small class, and load up on guys next year that want to go to UT fom the very beginning.

OakyVol09 writes:

in response to bama987:

Pittsburg's D wins out in the end. Arizona will be hard to route against, though. I am indifferent who wins, just want to see a good game.

Voluvr writes:

If Auburn is showing people trick plays to get them interested, they're in trouble. Perhaps David needs to look at his head coaches win/ loss record, then make his decision. If he keeps messing around he may lose Tennessee's offer.

gwbask writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Ooo eee,ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang

The orange people eater. Does that song go wayyyy back

VolInSabanLand writes:

I DO NOT have any good feelings about our final outcome in recruiting. The past two weeks seem to have been nothing but folks getting all excited about prospects who never really appeared very interested, NONE have come to fruition, (though I still hope some do), and to make matters worse, we're losing what we already had day by day.

Either something great is happening behind the magician's scarves or things are unraveling before our eyes.

Is there ANY good news out there?

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Does anyone know the exact number of scholarships we can give this year?

SignalMtnVol writes:

So oku wants to play in the spread type offense ran by Malzahn? I thought good RB's wanted to stay as far away from spreads as possible? Maybe it is kind of his style as an all purpose back?

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

in response to bama987:

ya I knew the total just wondering if we were saving some for next year

MrBamSeydu writes:

"I'm still committed to Tennessee, but on Signing Day there will be a change," said Phillips. "My Auburn visit went good. I got a chance to hang out with the players and meet the coaches and really liked it."

These kids just sound dumber and dumber every day.

"I'm still committed, but I'm not committed."

Someone please send Aubrey Phillips a dictionary and hi-lite "commit" for him.

invisiblekid writes:

Oku has too much potential to give up on easily. Hopefully, Kiffin and company have done enough to keep him on board.

I don't really see immediate playing time as a factor for him there. They have a returning junior in Tate who ran for over 1300 yards last year. Not likely that Oku will be able to jump over him on the depth chart any easier than Creer or Hardesty.

Malzahn is a very good coordinator but, then again, how many Heisman winners has he been involved with? Kiffin has coached two in Bush and Leinart. How many RB's has Gran helped to put in the NFL? Seven including Brown, McCallister and Williams. Seems like a pretty easy decision to me.

invisiblekid writes:

in response to VolInSabanLand:

Is there ANY good news out there?

Yeah, generally not available on here though. Or you have to read the fine print between articles complaining about salaries and the new staff for the 6th time.

The Vols did give Lacy and Jones something to think about.

VOLINCALI writes:

in response to RJ_Vol:

Here are a few of scenarios...
4. Issues w/ unfamiliarity with new coaching staff are surfacing.
4. AND/OR we are in the process of losing a top flight player.

Nice post. I agree.

I think Kiff just wants all his guys to compete. If that scares some off so be it.

VOLINCALI writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Ooo eee,ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang

I am now nominating you for a Tolstoy. :)

jk, go vols

lastlap writes:

in response to OakyVol09:

Go Vols!!

If they don't want to be here. Good luck and goodbye. I would rather have someone that wanted to be here anyway. Don't save anyone a place.

dvols writes:

we will surely hear lots of stories like these this week!

volsn1 writes:

I WONDER IF WE WILL HAVE ANY RECRUITS LEFT BY SIGNING DAY.

volfan1967 writes:

in response to mtnsvol44:

You always say the same stupid phooey.

southernson writes:

If he dont commit, he didnt fit.. Ant no maddda nooow howl.

newtonrail writes:

Since change in Coaches we've lost or run off 8 players with 3-4 more teetering. Not good. I know Kiffin has added 4 more, but don't' like seeing Oku,Shackleford, Stokes going elsewhere. He was certainly " working the ones visiting while Fla game was going on". He seemed to be getting them individually to come and sit with him, while he talked and talked some more. Didn't see but two Assistant coaches and Judy (forgot last name) with recruits. There were plenty of hostesses, almost all white. It would seem to make sense to get more African American Hostesses. Just my thoughts. May not matter to recruits and family.

invisiblekid writes:

in response to bama987:

Dude, it doesn't really matter what you or I care about, Oku probably has other things on his mind as the top rated RB in the country.

volfan1967 writes:

in response to bama987:

STEELERS!

Go4Two writes:

I do find it a bit odd that Kiffin and crew are having a hard time holding on to committed players.

hotrodvol writes:

in response to Down_The_Field:

VolInIndy writes:

pull his offer, he's a total flake

VolInIndy writes:

in response to DCflorida:

Who gives a rip about Rivals rating of Oku or the gator class? He's a flake and gators stink.

mwhla writes:

The recruiting process for this kid has never been about where he is going to college, but where the next microphone is located. I doubt that if there has ever been any high school football player who has found it necessary to make so many announcements, for so many months and, yet, never said anything other than "LOOK AT ME!!" UT does not need any player this needy for attention. OK u go away.

VolInIndy writes:

in response to DCflorida:

To me, winning isn't everything. I'm not sure about Kiffin yet either. Actually, I don't like what I hear about the Thigpen situation but if Kiffin strung him out for a month, he stinks too. I am sure about your coach, he is obviously a winner but he has no class in doing it and if Kiffin turns out the same, I'll give up on my school's team until he is gone. I was the same way with the Raiders. They were my team from the 60's on until Randy Moss and Sapp showed up. I couldn't be for them with those jerks on the roster. They should have gone after Kelly Washington, the biggest jerk to ever wear Orange.

utmdm writes:

We just need to chill guys. These young men have a lot of sights and sounds thrown at them as they are making a very important decision in their lives. I think back to that age in my life, remember the uncertainty of the decisions I was trying to make, and I did not have the adding strain of college football. Give them time, let them make the best choice and life will go on. Good luck to Mr. Oku. Oh and choose the Vols.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to OakyVol09:

Go Vols!!

Agree 100%. Would be great to have him, but we have some very talented backs on roster now. Would rather have Marlon than Oku if we can't have both. Something good may still happen Wednesday, if not, next recruiting haul will be a monster!!

RaineyVol writes:

come on Oku.. Don't go play for a coach that well... just isn't a good coach! Be a vol...easy decision!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Go4Two:

It appears they are content to let Fulmer and Company recruits go.

jonu61#252625 writes:

I thought he did not want to play on a team that ran the spread. Everywhere Malzhan has been he has run the spread. Interesting. I guess he got a golden chest bump from Troop.

Hope he comes here though. IMO if he has not signed by signing day I say we make his decision easy and pull the offer. I am get tired of playing games. It is an honor to put on the TN uniform. I just think a lot of the recruits play this game so they feel more love.

ncvol17 writes:

Must have some hot & spicy Hostesses at AU.They seem to be reeling in the kids after 1 night uhhh 1 visit to campus...

RJ_Vol writes:

Trolls have returned to lurk...

On the recruiting front, the only thing Kiffin and Co. can do (year one)is maintain an already solid class...and lay the foundation for 2010. It is indeed rare for a coach to have a great recruiting class after only being on the job for approximately two months. Recruiting is about relationships, and there simply hasn't been enough time for this staff to get that. The 2010 class should be a top five. This is what rebuilding from square one looks like. Kiffin may be clearing space for next year's class. It will be a long hall back, but UT will be back. That, I can guarantee you...based on 100 years of football tradition, excellent facilities, community support, and a fine University. Go Big Orange!!!!

ect1983 writes:

in response to bama987:

Seriously-----why are you on this board ???