OL Phillips appears to be out of UT's picture

Tennessee commitment Aubrey Phillips seems destined to play his college football elsewhere based on some comments the 6-foot-6, 310-pound offensive lineman made following his official visit to Auburn this weekend.

“I'm still committed to Tennessee, but on Signing Day there will be a change," Phillips told Auburnsports.com. “My Auburn visit went good. I got a chance to hang out with the players and meet the coaches and really liked it.

"I like it down there. I like the stadium. I like the coaches. All of them are cool. You can go to them with your problems and none of the players had one bad thing to say about them."

Phillips committed to UT in June but became a prime target for Auburn when it hired away former UT coach Trooper Taylor from Oklahoma State in January.

Taylor recruited Phillips, who is from Olive Branch (Miss.) High School, to play for Oklahoma State before accepting a position on Auburn’s staff.

When Phillips’ teammate, safety Daren Bates, committed to Auburn last week, UT had reason to be concerned. Phillips told the News Sentinel that Bates’ decision would have a major effect on his decision.

“I'm trying to get him to come with me here so we can be roommates and be on the field together,” Bates told Auburnsports.com.

Phillips is also reportedly considering Arkansas. UT and Auburn are thought to be in the lead for his services but after this weekend, it appears as if UT has slipped to second place.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

vollowme writes:

wow more great news.

newtonrail writes:

Lane, they slipping away fast. Should have hired Trooper for Southern connections.

gohawks1 writes:

What the heck does that mean? The boy needs to look up the word "commitment" in the dictionary.

cgbtn writes:

CLK wanted these guys to go enjoy their official visits. Perhaps these changes are for the best. Hope no one feels the need to call Phillips a thug or say we didn't really want him anyway.

foolishfool writes:

I dont understand what the deal is it seems we would be losing these guys earlier than this...

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Is it too late to win back some of those 4* commitments that were told they didn't fit into our plans?

MrBamSeydu writes:

Like I said, someone please mail Aubrey Phillips a dictionary.

Why would you say you're committed to UT, then in the very next sentence basically say you aren't committed to UT???

He has the IQ of a styrofoam plate.

foolishfool writes:

bama what are you doing on a vol website??? ; )

hotrodvol writes:

Sounds like UA has some good recruiters also. I agree with Newt on this one, should have went after Trooper

Moaninglikeheck writes:

I thought Kiffin was the second coming of Robert Neyland? Y'all falling off the wagon or what?

foolishfool writes:

in response to bama987:

WEBSITE you moron Im talking about the WESITE.

;)

bls8617#370509 writes:

That's the funniest comment I've ever heard from a recruit, "I'm still committed to Tennessee, but on Signing Day there will be a change". Wow, he's going to have some trouble in his classes.

smashmouth98 writes:

once again, NOT GOOD!!!! What the He11 is going on here? Maybe the idea of letting players still take visits after committing is definitely comming into question!! What happened to the Orange Swarm?

hotrodvol writes:

in response to bama987:

It's called go vols extra, not go mullethead extra. At least tomorrow he will get his gov. check and be able to make his trailer payment.

tinknoz#660213 writes:

this is some major b.s.......dropping like flies in hot soup!

OldNo7 writes:

That's a dang shame, he's a big ole boy and we could have used him. Best of luck to him, hope it turns out the best for the kid...except when he plays us.

pinevol writes:

Let him go. Just because a kid has the 'numbers'(6-6 340) does not mean he has the heart or smarts to play at the highest level. Why do you think he switched high schools in the last year? Why do you think he is hopping around now with his commitment? The truth is the truest indicator of future behavior is past behavior and I predict he will be a star at Lane College before his career is over.

TxFatBoy writes:

Well, I say let him go. If going to ANOTHER school who just replaced THEIR head coach the see ya later. Tennessee Football is a train leaving the station. It's wheels are just starting to roll and some recruits may decide to jump off due to fear. But others will see the opportunity and jump on at the last minute before it whistles goodbye!

cobbwebb writes:

i have a bad feeling about wednesday! think we are gonna be a little disappointed! well i wont be very upset, imo with the turnover(coaches) if we land in the top 25 classes, we should be content! we are coming off a 5-7 season, and we have slipped pretty low, as far as national perception! does anyone have any good news to report as far as visitors this weekend?

foolishfool writes:

in response to bama987:

Dude... I just wanna know why you are on here talking with us Vol fans is it that hard to understand???
Maybe your an outcast?

TxFatBoy writes:

in response to foolishfool:

Maybe your an outcast?

Hate to say it, but I've been on other "fan websites" and contributed before...nothing like hearing 1st hand what THEIR fans are thinking, as well as occasionally fanning the flames of discontent. Let him post, I personally haven't heard him attacking anyone or belittling our program.

tn_vol_67 writes:

The ones that want to sign,
will sign. If they dont want to be
here we dont need them.

Slystone writes:

This is almost becoming comical. Or has it?

TommyJack writes:

Ignore the riff-raff.

foolishfool writes:

in response to TxFatBoy:

I know man Im just messing with him. It would be boring with only vol fans. I would post on other sites too but I dont do much posting but on like 1 website.
So no Im not trying to get rid of the bammer, just messing with him.

cgbtn writes:

It would appear the commitments that Scout.com labeled as "Soft Verbal" were, in fact, soft verbals.

foolishfool writes:

in response to bama987:

Well Im a Bama resident man and altho I can hate some of you guys, you are my 2nd family. Ya know the ones you cant stand but wouldnt dream of NOT living with them? lol

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to bama987:

Well, since you grew up in Tennessee like I did...

And, apparently, since you're buying...

If you get to Southern Illinois, let's talk Vols/Bama football. (starting w/ the Peyton & Tee years, of course)

surfmaster writes:

Looks like we have a wholesale defection on our hands, and the ones that aren't leaving, we are telling 'em to get lost. Not Good. Not. Good.

foolishfool writes:

I think my last post had a double negative.

VolInIndy writes:

Let's ask Pearl what the plus or minus is of our multi-million dollar recruiting staff.

This trend continues and Hamilton better have is resume updated.

12packvolfan writes:

we will b just fine on wednesday

MTN_MAN_VOL writes:

in response to WhitePineVol2nd:

I'm with you White Pine,this guy is a lost ball in high weeds. I don't think he would be someone you can count on.He would be giving interviews during practice and gameday.His mind is changed everyday by the latest offering. Glad he only had five visits.Can you imagine if he got twenty visits.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to bama987:

After a few rounds, I'll start buying cheaper stuff and we can talk about Coach Bryant and Coach Stallings...j/k, those guys I respect.

If we start talking about Slick Nick, I'll have to go to Kool-Aid, haha.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Hey people - no big deal!! Like I said, we get one, possibly two out of the group. We have good coaches and will still win big this year, an enormous haul next recruiting season and we will be set up very well. Some of you had your hopes too high!!

gohawks1 writes:

in response to bls8617#370509:

Yep. Freshman English 101 is going to be an uphill battle from the start.

jonu61#252625 writes:

Teach him a valuable life lesson, pull his scholly. I personally don't want a player who obviously has issues on the team. Best of luck to him.

wildberry14 writes:

in response to DCflorida:

except for the florida players. they were trying to figure out what just happened

madvillevol writes:

in response to 12packvolfan:

we will b just fine on wednesday

I'm glad you're positive but I think we're gonna be lucky to get a top 20 class. Given the recruiters we have I really expected more. I know we started out behind but we're losing commitments now alot faster than we're gaining them.

huntined#565710 writes:

Our class this year will about match last year if this keeps going on..

chattvol#211758 writes:

Don't worry fellow vol fans--a great player is on his way to Auburn to pick up where the tigers left off---placing ownership over the tide and what can I say about the gator spanking last night on ESPN Game Day--all is right in the world--and I bet the gator nation faithful are wearing NFL apparel today only because it's Superbowl Sunday! Welcome to the site.

CHS52VOL writes:

in response to Moaninglikeheck:

Nope, just getting rid of deadwood. The wagon is still full of loyal Vol fans. Watch our dust!

GatorHater326 writes:

in response to bama987:

no actually genius it's a website, but nice try.. we understand the intelligence gap... we comment on it all of the time... thanks for confirming it. Kindest Regards

gvegasvol writes:

My, my - all the phooey that floated around here about how the standards were lowered when fullmer was around - and now look - we are now satisfied with a top 25 recruiting class - wasn't it just last week when you guys were blowing smoke about a top 5 class??? Come on - who's drinking the kool-aid now?

GatorHater326 writes:

This is absolutely horrible.... a brand new coaching staff with one month to recruit to their new school and they are only in the top 20... absolutely horrible... I mean just think of how much better off we were last year... with a proven recruiting team and their history.. what was the class ranked? 34th. HMMMM let's rethink this. We are going to lose a few recruits and commitments to everyone. Bama and Fla. and probably Ga. will blow us up this year in recruiting. However, the product on the field will definitely be different not perfect, but most assuredly better. And this time next year will be an entirely different scenario. Chill out and wait til the season starts. Bama has a good thing going, Fla. does as well as far as recruiting and coaching. Ga has an admirable coach and now so do we. We wanted a coaching change. We received a coaching change. Anyone who believed it would be perfect over night is mistaken. Even the AP coach of the year this year (Saban) went 6 and 6 his first season. It's all going to be ok... Goooossssssfraba!

doh writes:

committment means nothing to these players until they sign on the dotted line. that is why i did not get angry at coach kiffin for telling the thigpen kid to look elsewhere. everybody has the right to change their mind.

volaholic45 writes:

in response to gohawks1:

Same goes for "soft commitments." This is the recruitment game these days - devoid of character and integrity.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to GatorHater326:

GH, all good points, but logical thinking is not allowed on these boards. :-)

Bass_Vol_1998 writes:

Now I wish that all of these guys were hungry for that ut scholly, but at the very least a huge buzz has created around the TN program.

Also any of these guys going to our SEC rivals can get a taste of how hostile Knoxville can be (and this is basketball!).

I still put the over/under for this years class at about 18. anything better is just gravy. And these coaches have set the precedent on what type of skill we are going after. and am still hoping for a top 10 class.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to volaholic45:

Decommitting happens - no big deal. The part that got me, though, was when he basically said he's still committed but will not be committed next week. No logic to that statement.

I'm committed to giving everyone who reads this a hundred dollar bill next week. But next week there will be a change of plans. Now, does anyone feel richer yet?