Nelson makes pledge to UT, but it's unclear if he'll join Vols

Robert Nelson

Robert Nelson

Robert Nelson

Robert Nelson

Despite his public pledge to play football for Tennessee, it is unclear if linebacker Robert Nelson of Stone Mountain (Ga.) High School will actually be able to do so.

Nelson told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday that he was committed to UT.

However, UT is still evaluating the 6-foot, 210-pounder and has yet to formally offer him a scholarship, meaning confusion reigned a day before National Signing Day on Wednesday.

“The coaches told me I am going to be a part of a new program at Tennessee, and I may have the opportunity to play in the NFL,” said Nelson.

Nelson is still thought to be a part of UT’s plans - depending on what transpires on Wednesday.

The Vols are in the hunt for three other linebackers: Tana Patrick from North Jackson High Stevenson, Ala., Greg King from Melrose High School in Memphis and Jonathan Evans from Blount High in Pritchard, Ala.

Nelson said Auburn has agreed to wait to see what happens on Signing Day with UT before asking Nelson to make a decision.

“They even told me I could commit after Signing Day, but everything seemed to work out with Tennessee,” Nelson told the newspaper.

Nelson told the News Sentinel last week that he believed he would be offered a scholarship by UT and would commit during his official visit last weekend.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

orangevolunteer writes:

CLK must think we are going to get those guys

DisorientedVol writes:

Does he not "fit" our system?

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

give this man a scholly! He wants to play for UT and has ability! He has something to prove and may be a fierce player in the middle when he puts on 25 pounds

yeavols#228407 writes:

Oh darn...KNS doesn't have a story of how Kiffin shell shocked, rebuked, dismantled, and told a recruit to go take a long hike off a short pier..Looks like Kiffin is in control..not the players or KNS...oh that must burn a few butts..

Volalumnus writes:

Take him. Period.
Sometimes that wants to play for you this bad means more than stars and he isn't bad to start with.

Look at how much Bradshaw meant.

TommyJack writes:

No one can say that CLK has no stones.

suPEARLman writes:

Just let tommorow come so we will know the answers to all our speculation.

Maybe give or take a couple weeks after ;)

blitzshoot writes:

Not really crazy about leaving the kid hanging until we find out about the others. The kid should leave some strong options out there. Can't blame him if he jumps
ship.

King53 writes:

in response to nicksjuzunk#646117:

i agree. I'll take someone who really wants to wear the Orange over someone who wants to play games any day!!!

utnut#215669 writes:

I really believe he is a silent commit, so some of the others won't bail. It doesn't make sense if UT has not offered for him not to commit to someone who has offered?

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

No one can say that CLK has no stones.

And you know that is what is Pizzin a few people off..

HtownVol writes:

We are looking great at LB. Now we need lineman, WRs and a QB! Can anyone tell me how to get a txt when a player signs?

Pullingguard writes:

in response to DisorientedVol:

Does he not "fit" our system?

Probably not, look at his height and weight.. How many people are knocking his door down with offers...anyone????

murrayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

No one can say that CLK has no stones.

I have never said that.

Redbone writes:

I say sign this guy up too. We have to have some current slug on schlorship that we can say was smoking pot or something. This guy can play and wants to run through the "T". I'm a bit puzzled by this but surely we don't have all the info.

OakyVol09 writes:

This is the kind of kid you want playing at UT. He wants to be in Orange. Good luck to you Mr. Nelson. Hope to see you in Orange on Saturdays.

I have seen this kid listed at 6'5" and 6'0". Does anyone know the truth?

longball writes:

What's the story on this guy? Couldn't find much on Scout or Rivals.

Go4Two writes:

What the keck

VolSkins writes:

does anyone have a bio on this kid and/or a ranking...???

blitzshoot writes:

I have been busy this week...can anyone tell me if OKU de-committed?

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

in response to bama987:

A real surprize, bama is confused. To bad Saban isnt.

murrayvol writes:

in response to blitzshoot:

ship.

If Aubie is speaking the truth, he is not hanging.

bls8617#370509 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Get your mom to keep hitting refresh on the main page, then when someone signs she texts you who

OakyVol09 writes:

in response to utnut#215669:

That makes sense. I believe he has been offered by a few SEC schools correct?

FlaVol2 writes:

Remember rule one: Coach Kiffen said (paraphased)we are looking for the best players that can play in the system, not just any players.

Voluvr writes:

in response to bama987:

I wouldn't expect them to make sense to a bamer fan. Worry about your own team.

Sovol writes:

in response to bama987:

You don't need to understand. Course being a bammer fan you probably don't understand a lot of things.

vols_fan_n_tx writes:

Sounds like another Al Wilson. Bring him on.

murrayvol writes:

in response to bls8617#370509:

All the guy wants is info and you give him a cheap shot.

utnut#215669 writes:

in response to OakyVol09:

That makes sense. I believe he has been offered by a few SEC schools correct?

south carolina, auburn.miss state, west virginia, north carolina and ULM

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to bama987:

Good evening Bama987..Good question..we don't really know who is going where..We will reserve judgement for tomorrow. But Reid will probably go to Alabama...we are just hanging around hoping to scoop up everyone's seconds...SO no high hopes here.

utnut#215669 writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

Article in AJC hails Reid as instant difference maker. we'll see.

bls8617#370509 writes:

in response to murrayvol:

All the guy wants is info and you give him a cheap shot.

Just a joke, I forget people treat this like it's life and death most of the time

justingh1 writes:

in response to bls8617#370509:

Text "vols" to 68255

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to blitzshoot:

I have been busy this week...can anyone tell me if OKU de-committed?

Hey Blitz...welcome back..he is going to wait after signing day. Apparently recruits have that option. It seems he wants to be real careful about where he goes. That makes sense. What if Tennessee signs a couple of backs that are 4 star? I think I might want to consider going somewhere else. What if my buddy's school needs a back and I can play immediately somehwere else? Something to think about. Oku might be making an adult decision in a kid's body. Guess tomorrow says all.

justingh1 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

text "vols" to 68255 this will also update you on basketball scores

bone03162002 writes:

DID GREG KING COMMIT TO UT ARE NOT. I HAVE READ IT ON ANOTHER ARTICLE THAT WE GOT HIM. I HAVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE AND NOTHING. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF HE DID.

VolsInYourMouth writes:

in response to bama987:

BigOrangeVol writes:

I heard that we have LOI's from every Top 50 recruit in the nation that "fits" the Kiffsystem but they are all "silent" right now.

This time tomorrow night we'll have the #1 Silent Recruiting Class in America and Kiffin will have shown everyone in the World exactly what he's made of!!!

jsm67vol writes:

in response to HtownVol:

From a previous thread the word given there is that you text "signee" to 68255. I wrote it down and I hope this info is correct. The word was that if you do this, every time a player signs with UT you will receive a text with the info. Again, I got this info from a post on this site, so I assume it is accurate.

blitzshoot writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

THANKS yeavols!
Seems like Auburn/Trooper is making a strong run a him.
Tomorrow should be fun.

HtownVol writes:

in response to jsm67vol:

It is. I just txt it. And got a txt back. I suggest you do it. Cant wait!

StroVol writes:

in response to bama987:

Oh great, dingledork just got off work from Winn Dixie. Get ready to scroll the screen!

txvolsfan writes:

in response to bama987:

But the head of Rivals and Scout have both said that they guarantee Kiffin will have the #1 class in 2010!!
So he must have them fooled also!!

BigOrangeVol writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

So he must have them fooled also!!

Did they mention what school he'll be coaching at?

HtownVol writes:

Doesnt look good. Two projections on ESPN has M. Brown going to UGA and Stokes going to Mich. Those 2 are highest on my wish list. We better pull some surprises out the bag!

utnut#215669 writes:

in response to bama987:

85 miles from home. I guess family did win out.

annemarie writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Text Signee to 68255

invisiblekid writes:

Absolutely NOTHING confusing about it, looks like it's strictly a numbers deal with Nelson. I think he'll be a great addition to the class, kid is a tackling machine. Also looks a step quicker than Evans, who winds up sticking with Auburn, everything works out in the end and the Vols get the better player IMO with all due respect to Evans.

"Tennessee told me that they really liked me, but they wanted to make sure they haven't over offered with guys they had offered before they started recruiting me. They are supposed to get back to me tomorrow."

rabidvol1998 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

No one can say that CLK has no stones.

The only stones i'm interested in are in the loss column. 0