Richardson was persuaded by Kiffin's offense

Nu'keese Richardson

Nu'keese Richardson

Nu’Keese Richardson signs with UT

Nu'keese Richardson

Nu'keese Richardson

Nu’Keese Richardson always dreamed of playing for an offense like the ones he saw rolling up points for Southern California.

So when former USC offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin landed at Tennessee, Richardson was very interested.

“I love his offense,” the 5-foot-9, 150-pound receiver from Pahokee (Fla.) High School said after signing to play for the Vols on Wednesday. “ Once he came to Tennessee, that pretty much sealed the deal for me.”

In case Richardson, who committed to Florida in October, had any doubts, an official visit to Knoxville last weekend was the clincher.

“Everything,” Richardson said when asked what he liked about UT. “There wasn’t a thing that I didn’t like. I was sold - the stadium, the basketball arena, the facilities, everything.”

Yet there was a commitment to overcome. Richardson had to call Florida coaches before announcing his intentions.

“It was tough,” Richardson said of making the phone call, “but at the same time I had to do what’s best for me.”

Richardson is reason for UT to celebrate, although the decision was so close, it almost never happened.

“It was so close that I wanted to move it (his press conference) back,” Richardson said. “I wanted to wait. But I felt if I did too much thinking it would make it harder on me.”

Richardson admitted that the crowd in attendance for his press conference was a bit taken aback by his decision – especially since the event was held in South Florida.

“They were shocked,” Richardson said. “They applauded because they knew it was good for me.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

checkerboards writes:

First!!!! Get Em Kif!!!!

huntined#565710 writes:

KELLY bama bound
dang

vtvol#210290 writes:

You did the right thing Nu'keese. You will enjoy mutiple gator beatings in your illustrious Vol career.

AllVols4 writes:

Glad you came you are making a great decision!!!Get em Kiff

OldNo7 writes:

What he really meant to say was that he just doesn't think he would look good in jean shorts.

ZWVol11 writes:

He was wearing a Vols jacket the other day at the Basketball game which confused me since he barely came for a visit but I'm glad he's here now. Go Vols!

VOLlivin_inbama writes:

Am I actually........nevermind!

rockitwithrespect writes:

welcome aboard, you made a great decision to be a VOL

MemphisVol writes:

Welcome Nu'keese! We are glad you chose to be a Vol!

orngbluded writes:

Good pickup,anytime you beat out another top sec team for a recruit it is big,especially florida and alabama.

Go4Two writes:

I would have love to been in that room.

Alumni_06 writes:

thank you mr. richardson!!!!!!!!!!!

BuckheadVol1 writes:

Welcome Nuke, the Vol Nation is happy to have you!

Adamkg12 writes:

Love to steal one from the hated Gators!!! Go Vols

Redvol writes:

Kiffin & Co. now have the access codes for the Nukelar Option as Dubya would say.........Nuke the Gators!!!!!

auttat writes:

in response to Banned:

What a stupid, stupid, stupid comment! Florida has handed UT their tails for 2 straight years and won 2 of the last 3 NC's. You think they really care about a 5'8" 150lb. receiver? Plus, they are ranked considerably higher than UT with their other signees.

auttat writes:

Glad 'Keese chose UT, though. Hope he is ready to make a difference.

HotlantaVol writes:

What a coincidence. It's good for me too!!

InertGas writes:

Welcome aboard. You made the right choice. Things are changing in K-town.

letshave1more writes:

in response to auttat:

Your comment was pretty stupid. FL cared or they would not have offerred him a scholarship. Lets all play nice-especially if we are cheering for the same team. We are-right?

SCarolinaVols writes:

Huge PICKUP...welcome to vol country

Jillelumpkins writes:

in response to checkerboards:

First!!!! Get Em Kif!!!!

you ruined this thread. what an idiot.

jdcvols#230433 writes:

Where is the BEEF!! The 2-9 package is looking great. Without any hope of a QB, why would any WR commit to Tenn. Crompton being a total bust has gotten Fulmer fired and ruined recruiting. General Watermelon told me this.

golfballs03 writes:

HaHa!

The_Real_UT writes:

This one is bitter sweet, it caused Je'Ron Stokes to commit to Michigan. Hope this doesn't affect Kendal Kelly or M. Brown's decision. Im not buying that garbage about Ohio State.

VOLlivin_inbama writes:

Je'Ron Stokes is gone.....signed with Michigan.

VOLlivin_inbama writes:

Kendal Kelly signed with Bammer.

BigOrangeVol writes:

He's the great Wideout we wanted anyway.
He fits Kiffy's system.
He isn't afraid of the competition at UT.

Volunatic writes:

in response to DCflorida:

There's some good videos of Nu'Keese over on youtube. I hope you're right about players from "the muck"-- it sure looks like it based on those videos.

12packvolfan writes:

in response to VOLlivin_inbama:

Je'Ron Stokes is gone.....signed with Michigan.

no kidding

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to SCarolinaVols:

Huge PICKUP...welcome to vol country

not huge at 5'8" 150----don't see it myself----got to respect that the coaches wanted him but dont see how that slight body can to hold up---but welcome and good luck

Hickmc writes:

in response to DCflorida:

Hey DC quick question if you know. I have been hearing that Richardson has a extremely long wing-span which if what I hearing translates into a reach normally had by someone around 6'3 do you know if this is correct? And as a long time TN fan I do appreciate information from different perspectives.

VOLlivin_inbama writes:

Marlon Brown is about announce his school on ESPN2

bernardking writes:

I like your posts DCFlorida, but Fred Taylor is no Hall of Famer. Not even close.

Which Hall of Fame were you talking about?

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

sobering thoughts:

scout has us 3rd from bottom in the SEC, with no top 100 picks and no five star pirks. we join vadny and miss state, I believe, in that category.

we just had too much emotino and acrimony with the fulmer deal. for whatever reason, auburn has come through cleanly, and with a good clsss.

well, I had low hopes, and they've been fulfilled.

VAvolfanRON writes:

Marlon Brown to GA1!!!
damn

CedarHillVol writes:

in response to DCflorida:

Last week the Tennessean (Nashville newspaper) had an article about the Pahokee area...said they have around 50 former players in the NFL.To me the fact that Florida wanted him as a receiver says he can play. Can't argue with the wideout play they have.

givehim6 writes:

glad we got Richardson. because brown going to UGA the traider!

GatorintheKnox writes:

Wow, I can't believe we missed out on a 5'8" 150lb receiver. He will definetly be the one to single handledly beat us in the years to come. Gatorbait.

kman29 writes:

in response to bernardking:

Which Hall of Fame were you talking about?

Anyone who thinks that Fred Taylor doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame hasnt watched much NFL. Yes granted he went to 1 pro bowl. But a lot of that had to do with him being in the Jacksonville market. Lets not forget that a lot of those selections are fans voting. Fans do not know how to vote for all star games. But look at Taylors stats..

11,271 career rushing yards currently ranks 16th all time past players such as OJ Simpson.

4.6 yards a carry average 5th most in NFL history

62 rushing TDs

murrayvol writes:

in response to Jillelumpkins:

you ruined this thread. what an idiot.

Nothing can ruin this thread.

murrayvol writes:

in response to DCflorida:

Since when was it easy for a Gator to applaud UT?

murrayvol writes:

in response to yabadabadoo1026:

The previous administration would've had no clue what to do with this kid. Kiffin & Co. will.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Hickmc:

He can scratch his toes standing up.

murrayvol writes:

in response to bernardking:

Which Hall of Fame were you talking about?

Fred Taylor will be in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Career yds rushing - 11,000+
Avg. yds/carry - 4.6
Receiving yds - 2,361
Avg. yds/catch - 16.9
Touchdowns - 70
Fumbles lost - 17(in 11 years and over 2700 touches)

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to auttat:

actually, the average 'star ranking' for UT's commits is high, there just aren't enough. losing out on 4-stars like Brown, Stokes, Giles, and Oku is wasting us. Then, when you add NO five-stars...

This is just one tough time for UT athletics. the wheels haven't come off the programs, but the lugnuts (that'd be us fans) are loose.

TnWalker writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

sobering thoughts:

well, I had low hopes, and they've been fulfilled.

True, but they have Arkansas over Florida and I'd MUCH rather have the Gators' class than the Hogs'. It seems to me a better measurement might be the quality of the signees over quantity.

In the SEC, we rank 5th in quality (3.47 average) and only 3 teams have more 4* and above recruits.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

sobering thoughts:

well, I had low hopes, and they've been fulfilled.

What a misleading post. Why put UT (at no 22) in the same category as the Dores and Cats? I will take a top 25 class under the circumstances any day.

However, what is very impressive on the numbers in the referenced link is:

SEC got 31% of the top 100.
SEC got twice as many 5 stars as any other conference (20 to 10).
SEC got almost twice as many 4 star players (81 to 47) as the next highest conference.

That is why the SEC is the most difficult conference in college football.

dc_4_ut writes:

in response to DCflorida:

Other DC-
Got the news on NR today and almost fell outta my chair... I hope he can be a Demps or a James for us... You guys have set the precedent for small, tough speedsters making plays with the football....

Congratulations on Jenkins, too... His press conference left me very impressed... definitely a character guy... and 16 y/o are you kidding me???.... Anyways thought I'd do that now before I learn to despise him for the next 3-5 years...

99gator writes:

i hate reading this. this is the part that i never understand about recruiting.

if you liked tennessee's offense and did not want to play in florida's offense, why the heck were you even considering florida in the first place? according to his bio on scout.....USC offered him a scholarship. doesn't USC have a USC style offense?

have you not seen the offense florida has been running? did you not pick up the fact that it was different from a pro style offense? why were you even thinking about going to a school to play in a system that you did not want to play in?

confusing

go where you want. play for who you want. no problem with any of that.

but, it's like being committed to michigan than changing your mind and committing to miami because it's cold in michigan. you just figured out it got cold in michigan.

for his sake, i'm glad he figured it out at the end before going somewhere that he would not be happy. hopefully, he has a productive career at tennessee and fulfills all his hopes and dreams.