Teague on picking Vols: Why not try to help your state university get back on top

Marsalis Teague signs with UT

West quarterback, Marsalis Teague, hands off to Dominque Allen, during the Toyota All-Star Classic Saturday at Carson-Newman College in mid-December.

Photo by Darren Rose

For the last few days, Marsalis Teague had a secret.

Long a commitment to Florida, Teague remained outwardly committed to the Gators.

On the inside, though, the 5-foot-10, 180-pound athlete from Henry County High School in Paris, Tenn., couldn’t stop thinking about Tennessee.

"I was thinking about the university of Tennessee for a while," said Teague, who was one of a few pleasant surprises to sign with the Vols on Wednesday. "I kind of felt like some of the similar opportunities presented themselves at Tennessee, Florida and Alabama.

"If the opportunities are the same, why not do it in your home state? Why not try to help your state university get back on top?"

That’s the hope for Teague, whose future likely rests on the defensive side of the ball, although he could play some at slot receiver this fall.

And while a coaching change in November cost the Vols a few commitments — and even a few prospects — Teague wouldn’t have wound up at Tennessee if it wasn’t for new coach Lane Kiffin and his staff.

"With all due respect to the last staff, if they were still there, I probably wouldn’t be going to the University of Tennessee," he said. "The new staff came in with so much energy, it opened my eyes to a different part of Tennessee."

That ultimately led Teague to choose the Vols on Wednesday over Florida and Alabama during a press conference at his high school.

As Teague tells it, prying eyes watched from the hallway to see which cap he’d choose. And afterwards, he says, his phone buzzed with text messages and calls. Teachers and students in the halls at Henry County beamed.

"Everybody was all happy," he said. "It was crazy. Students, teachers. I got so many text messages and phone calls. I was like, 'This is ridiculous.’ "

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volunteerfan27204#295834 writes:

I'm glad your a Vol. Go big Orange!

ctownvol writes:

Really? Not a big fan of coach Fulmer, huh?

I love the way this kid thinks!

RockyTop writes:

A true Volunteer. Great to have you in Big Orange Country!

rockitwithrespect writes:

hope he can help us recruit too

Major_Magilicutty writes:

I hope KNS can figure out how the want to spell his name...or better yet...find out how HE spells it. I've seen it spelled three different ways on this website...Marsalous, Marsalis, c'mon KNS...figure it out.

Volunatic writes:

I like that attitude. Glad you're going to wear Big Orange next season, Marsalis!

WorkinLikeHeck writes:

FOOLMORE slow played him...imagine that.

annemarie writes:

Welcome to Big Orange Country, Marsalis! You're going to like it here - I guarantee it!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

Mr. Teague, not that you'll ever read this...but quite a few football players have leveraged successful football careers at UT into successful carrers OUTSIDE of football in the STARE of Tennessee.

Good luck to you.

luvorange writes:

Love it, this is the kind of attitude that "builds a fence". And it will take more than two months... so don't get all out of sorts because of Brown.

Jillelumpkins writes:

Marlon Clown, take notes, this kid is a TRUE Tennesseean. You Mr. Brown, are a JOKE.

WeLoveTennesseeVols writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

This is a real man, I liked the loyalty to his state, when push came to shove he came here. Let's all go back to school and become somebody!@

ChattVol2485 writes:

in response to ShaversChoice:

I don't think the great state of Tennessee could get so lucky.

DennisVols writes:

The coaching staff did as good as anyone should have expected in the short time they had and with all the changes and emotions surrounding this team following one of the worst seasons in history.
We had some good surprises and some bad.
The key to all this is what the coaching staff does with the talent we have and we have gained today. This decade has had several top 10 recruiting classes at UT yet we have not won anything outside of the East division(that is not a title). If UT is competitive this fall (not perfect) then next years recruiting class will be a top 10. There were too many questions coming into this recruiting season and yet many of our new recruits said things like “There wasn’t a thing that I didn’t like. I was sold - the stadium, the basketball arena, the facilities, everything.”
Kiffin didn't sell out the tradition for pushing the NFL they just used it to enhance the foundation this program is built on.
This fall we will see the 1st installment and being objective (not rah rah or boo hoo) there is a lot to look forward to.
Keeping it Real. Go Vols

volmattna writes:

Love it! Welcome to BIG ORANGE NATION!! Now lets go whip the f n sh out of florida!

adamsck#591720 writes:

I'm not bashing Fulmer but in hindsight it is really telling that he didn't sign more TN players. I always thought the CW was that he stayed out of Memphis bc of the pay for play shenanigans down there but that doesn't explain Paris. As disappointed as I am that Brown went to UGA I'm still glad we have Kiffin and all things considered he did a good job this year. Let's hope 2010 will be greener pastures for recruiting.

pammyvol1000 writes:

Welcome Marsalis.. we love you for staying at Tennessee.. Wa-hoooooooooooooo!!

ethanfrome writes:

You are the man!!! I am going to buy your jersey when it comes out. Welcome home.

NoogaVol55 writes:

I can officially say CTOWN...you will not have to tell this young man to get back....this SOB(with all due respect) will be playing on Saturdays....Defense, Offense, SP Teams...I don't care...you can't keep a natural talent down!!!!!!!!

Great day today fellas...I love our class!!!!!!!!11

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to volmattna:

I second this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockytopspottedbirgdog writes:

I am gonna go out on a limb and be a minority here and say that Marlon Brown will be a bit of a bust(Brett Smith like) and James Green will turn out to be a special player for the vols. The hype can kill a player like him.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Welcome to the Vols young man. Study hard, train hard, practice hard & play harder. You will go far, both on & off the field. Good luck, we're glad to have you.

Go VOLS!!!

VolGraduate writes:

This kid defines the word "volunteer" and has made the Vol faithful proud

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to VolGraduate:

This kid defines the word "volunteer" and has made the Vol faithful proud

Amen Brother...nothing like a home grown "patriot"!!!!

golfballs03 writes:

Woop woop! This kid is awesome!!!

GoodKnightInTheBurg writes:

in response to supersmo18:

AMEN BROTHER!!! (mainly to the last part of the comment)

hufstedler02 writes:

in response to RockyTop:

A true Volunteer. Great to have you in Big Orange Country!

If he was a true Vounteer, it wouldn't matter who the coach is/was. If you bleed orange, whatelse matters.

TxFatBoy writes:

This is the way for a Native of Tennessee to think!

vols21 writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

Good luck to you.

Hey, I'm not poking fun at the typo - we all make them. But when I read "STARE" of Tennessee, I couldn't help but think of Pat Head Summitt. :-)

Besides, you made an excellent point. These young men are opening doors to great possibilities "after football"

I also am glad to have Mr. Teague and others like him signing with us today. It was like watching election returns during the day seeing where our prospects were signing.

Star16Volunteer writes:

Spelled Marsalis, but his name is Mar-sel-is! We love you here in Henry County and we can't wait for you to run the the Power T! Still wished Big Dominique would have changed his mind. GO BIG ORANGE!

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

Looks like he has also got some smarts to along with his ability!

The new staff has done a great job without much time.

I saw "another poster" who said earlier that if we did not get the top class next year he would be mad...

Why would you be mad and expect that? can you not tell we are doing very very well and will do good next year?

What is a persons expectations for the record each year
14-0 every year? National Champs every year? I would be happy with A NC within 5 years and a top 5 class pretty often...I mean come on!
Your not going to get that and land the top class in the nation every year.

These new coaches have done well and deserve a round of applause! they will do fine next year!!! don't expect tooo much...use a little sence and you will not be disapointed.
yeah you want your team to do well but lets not get TOOOO Crazy!

hufstedler02 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

Looks like he has also got some smarts to along with his ability!

The new staff has done a great job without much time.

What is a persons expectations for the record each year
Your not going to get that and land the top class in the nation every year.

yeah you want your team to do well but lets not get TOOOO Crazy!

You must be new to volnation because everyone obviously thinks we are supposed to win the national title each year. There was one poster on another article that said he would have fired Fulmer after we lost to LSU in the SEC title game about 7 years ago. We would have played for a national title if we would have won that game. We won 11 games that year.

blitzshoot writes:

Good luck young man. Wish you the best in big orange country.

Caveman writes:

Cave Man like young man's choice.

Young man has Fire and Fire is Good!!

tinknoz#660213 writes:

K.O.marlonbrown.com

RJ_Vol writes:

Marsalis, thanks for signing w/ Tennessee! You helped set the tone today. You showed what being a Tennessean means. Enjoy running through the "T"!

tinknoz#660213 writes:

Marlon Brown=d-bag

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Free TDTN, restore Dupree's check and thanks for the ikid for taking Ashley's place.

Find KingsportVol if he isn't doing time.

smokey_vols#336011 writes:

Too bad Marlon Brown couldn't have thought the same way.

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to hufstedler02:

I was not happy with the LSu game that year and i was living in Knoxville.

I "don't think" Fulmer should have been fired "that year" but thats when I noticed the decline.

I think you have to have seasons where you beat who you are supposed to beat and get an upset or 2 pretty often...not just one every 5 seasons.

Also you have to come out and go for the kill from the get go and the start of the game.

If you get beat and it was a helluva a game I am not mad! but when you get beat by lessor teams and the game never was close its a reason to be mad.

The point I am trying to make is no coach is going to win the NC every year but we have to at least compete very hard and as long as your doing that and your having good seasons I am cool.

High Expectations are fine but use good judgement.Wanting to win is normal...Wanting to win it "ALL"every year and A MUST HAVE #1 recruiting class is a little ridiculas to expect.

Futhermore its just not going to happen every year No Matter who the Coach is...but we must compete...thats waht you look for!

GOVOLS!

murrayvol writes:

Mr. Teague, we appreciate your support.

sorebackvol writes:

in response to smokey_vols#336011:

Too bad Marlon Brown couldn't have thought the same way.

Marlon WHO ????

gnm53108 writes:

Glad to have ya Marsalis.

You will look alot beter in the right color orange,the BIG ORANGE.

hufstedler02 writes:

in response to DrJCrown_theMagicMan:

I was not happy with the LSu game that year and i was living in Knoxville.

GOVOLS!

Go for the kill? We did. We led most a lot of that game. We knocked Davey out of the game. That win would have put us in the national title game, but you noticed the beginning of our decline in that game. You truly are just like so many of our awesome volnation. Good grief.

dma38256#264746 writes:

Marsalis: From another Henry county resident, congratulations on choosing to go to the Hill....

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to dma38256#264746:

Marsalis: From a former Henry County resident, thanks for proving everything I know about you to be true. Tennessee Orange ALWAYS looks better than Gator Blue.

As always, ABSOLUTELY, Go Big Orange!!

bkgunter writes:

in response to WorkinLikeHeck:

FOOLMORE slow played him...imagine that.

KEN-BRICK typed FOOLMORE---imagine that.

Joshua1440 writes: