Orgeron wasn't going to take 'no' from Teague

Ed Orgeron turned a lost cause into a recruiting triumph Wednesday when the Vols signed defensive back/wide receiver Marsalis Teague from Paris, Tenn.

Head coach Lane Kiffin told a crowd of about 1,000 fans at UT’s recruiting celebration Thursday morning that Teague informed the Vols two weeks before signing date that he was going to Florida.

“I said OK, but we’re gonna keep competing,” Kiffin said.

The competition reached a different level when Kiffin hired Orgeron, the former head coach at Ole Miss who coached the New Orleans Saints defensive line last season. At a staff meeting, Orgeron said, “(Teague) ain’t going to Florida,’ ” according to Kiffin.

“Coach O, I’m with you,” Kiffin told Orgeron. “We’ll keep competing.”

“No, you don’t understand,” Orgeron said. “He’s going to Tennessee.”

Orgeron wrote Teague’s name on the top of the recruiting board and added, “Teague will sign with Tennessee on national signing day. Book it.”

Orgeron then threw his pen across the room for emphasis, Kiffin said.

“There probably wasn’t a 48-hour period when (Orgeron) let the kid alone, the family alone, the (high school) coach alone,” Kiffin said.

Orgeron’s persistence paid off. And it reconfirmed Kiffin’s belief that you never take “no” for an answer until the recruit signs.

Orgeron embodies that persistence, which is one of the reasons Kiffin called him “the heartbeat of our program.”

“There is not a morning that this guy doesn’t wake up thinking about football,” Kiffin said. “There is not a morning that this guy does not wake up thinking what’s one more thing I could do, or one more call I could make, or one more conversation I could have.”

Orgeron first gained fame as a recruiter at Miami, then later at Southern California when he and Kiffin worked on coach Pete Carroll’s staff. Kiffin made him a top priority when he began assembling his UT staff.

Orgeron has a good idea of what he looks for in recruits — especially in the defensive line, which he coaches.

“Big men set the tempo,” Orgeron told the UT fans. “These are the guys coming off the bus first. We want six inches between their eyes, and we want them in very bad moods. They don’t like quarterbacks, and neither does their coach — unless he’s the top one in the country and he’s the one we’re going to recruit.”

UT linebackers coach Lance Thompson might even include Orgeron in his sales pitch to linebacker recruits. His spiel would go like this:

“You will be a linebacker behind (Orgeron’s) defensive front four,” Thompson said. “You’re never gonna get blocked. Because (the defensive linemen) don’t want to deal with (Orgeron).”

Sports editor John Adams may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Basketball_Jones writes:

He needs to go recruit Bryce Brown

Hudro writes:

I know I'm pumped. I can't wait till the O&W game to see what differences these coaches make with the current guys we have on campus.

JohnnyU writes:

These guys sound INTENSE. Just what we need. Don't lay down for Florida, Bama, UGA, or anybody else, we're tired of being stomped on. Fight. (legally, of course)

volongulf writes:

What about Cory Hall, our signee 2 yrs ago that went JC?
6' 5" , 272 lbs DL. TN guy from Chattanooga.

volzcrushm writes:

in response to Basketball_Jones:

He needs to go recruit Bryce Brown

Yes! there are still a couple of big fish out there! Let's get them too!!

RockyTop1_old writes:

Bring it on Big Orange!! Can't wait till we hear, "IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE"

VOLinGA writes:

Finally some intensity on Rocky Top. I love it. I don't care if they get drilled next year or not. Give 2-3 years for this attitude and intensity to take root...and watch out. I finally feel like we've got some toughness and fight in our leadership.

Irwin_Linker writes:

From the mouth of Marlon Brown. Orgeron is the reason he did not come to UT. I think with 80-85 % of recruits Orgeron is the go to guy, but MB's grandma didn't care for him much and in the end she had A LOT of say in his decision. I won't go into detail for both Marlon and the coaches sake, but he is the reason MB is at UGA.

volongulf writes:

in response to volongulf:

What about Cory Hall, our signee 2 yrs ago that went JC?
6' 5" , 272 lbs DL. TN guy from Chattanooga.

BigT_Chief writes:

I get the feeling that Coach O is old school and tougher than nails and the D-line he coaches will be the same, or else they'll have him all up in their faces, and their other ends. I'm sure they don't want that, because he seems like he could get pretty brutal. I, for one, like it. Time to get the big uglies/nasties acting like it.

OrangeHammer writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

WHO.GIVES.A.DAYUM.. about what Granny thinks. This is HIS desicion, and if he went to GA because of her then that's a BAD MOVE. I think he want's to be here.. more than GA anyways. Mark my words, he will WISH he was here when we play GA.. especially after our secondary helps "clear his thoughts" a few times. He'll just be part of another star class at a school that can't compete OR make it to an SEC championship.

WHAT A WINNAR!!!

The OrangeHammer has spoken.

byobbio writes:

in response to workinlikehek:

“There is not a morning that this guy doesn’t wake up thinking about what can he do to be a bigger jackass,” Kiffin said. “There is not a morning that this guy does not wake up thinking what’s one more thing he could do to be a bigger jackass, or one more call he could make to be a bigger jackass or what can he do to be a bigger jackass, or one more conversation he could have to be a bigger jackass.”

richvol writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

No disrespect to Marlon or his grandmother,but a MAN has to make decisions for himself in life. She is not helping him by denying him the opportunity to go where his heart wanted him to go.

Sometimes a person regrets a decision they should have made and wonders what if.

Irwin_Linker writes:

in response to OrangeHammer:

WHAT A WINNAR!!!

The OrangeHammer has spoken.

When your grandma raises and you pays for your private school education so that you don't grow up destitute I'd say she should be allowed to have a good bit of say in the decision. Also, He was NEVER considering Ole Miss just humoring the Nutt.

Irwin_Linker writes:

He did make the decision himself, Grandma just has a lot of influence on him. It was never like she grabbed him by the wrist and said you are going to Georgia.

Irwin_Linker writes:

Let's just say it was something Orgeron said on the phone that took UT out contention. Lane was next to Coach O at the time. Kicked Orgeron off the phone took control of the conversation but it was to little to late.

easleychuck writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

Then, maybe at the end of day MB, now that he is where grandmama wanted him to be, he will get to feel the wrath of an intense group of defensive players.

My grandmother lived with our family my entire childhood. She would have NEVER told me where to attend school, take a job etc. My brothers and I were raised to make our own decisions and to stand by them without deferring the results of the tough decisions upon someone else. In other words, the dog never ate our homework.

easleychuck writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

You should ask Adams if you can write one of those attack-type oped pieces for the paper since you have all of this vast knowledge about this particular recruit's journey to UGA.

No one really cares for all of the drama.

maholt49#632667 writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

Sorry, but unless you go into detail I have a hard time believing you...so why even bring it up if you are not going to be specific?!!! Show me/tell me the facts not hearsay!

all_vols writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

then he made the right choice...if you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch!!!

10volunteers98 writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

CAN`T WAIT `TIL E.BERRY GETS A PIECE OF MR. BROWN.HE NEEDS A GOOD INTRODUCTION TO THE SEC.SEE HOW HIS GRANNY LIKES MR.BERRY.

volongulf writes:

We signed enough WRs, DBs, & ATHs to start all those positions. One more or less, so what? Granted I'd like to have gotten Brown but a much bigger concern is Who are the LBs going to line up behind? What happened with Hollins?

VOLlivin_inbama writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

Your just begging somebody to ask u for details, aren't you!!! Go ahead and spill it, we can tell your about to bust a gut!!

Irwin_Linker writes:

I just wanted to share some first hand info with my fellow vol brethren. Heres is the story has I recieved it. I'm hanging with a friend of mine yesterday former Harding teamate and good friend with Marlon. Friend calls MB and puts him on speaker phone for me to hear the story. The UT coaching staff and in particular Ed O, love him think it was a great hire, calls MB about 2 weeks ago. And comes strong with this won't take no attitude that worked so well with Teague, thank god. The coaching staff like many close to Marlon thought he was a lock for OSU. Turns out he hadn't made a decision UGA, OSU, and UT were all on equal footing. Ed O used some very colorful language with MB, because he thought he was a lock on OSU. Angered Marlon his Grandma and Coach Kiffin. O was privately reprimanded for the situation. The reason Marlon wore an OSU jersey to school yesterday was a spoof on the UT coaching staff. In conclusion if that call wasn't made or Kiffin had remained the sole recruiter Marlon would most like be in Organge. All that said It is a true story. Forget him though hes overrated the talent in the 1a class in Memphis is some of the worst in the country and inflated his numbers greatly. I hope EB knocks his lights out, but thats the story believe it if you want it doesn't bother me. GO VOLS

polymer writes:

On Coach O -- Don't judge him on any single recruit that he wins or loses, or even on any one season. I live in Mississippi, and this year I got to watch the Ole Miss defensive line perform that HE recruited and he coached over three seasons in Oxford. Last Fall I watched his line handle Florida's offense, handle Alabama's offense, and handle LSU's offense. By the season's end, those guys were a force to have to deal with. And Peria Jerry, just watch what he does in the NFL. Coach O also recruited All-American OT Michael Oher (over UT).

If he stays at UT, the man will flat out get it done, and not even Nick Saban will outwork him. Every morning Nick Saban arrives at his office in Tuscaloosa, Ed Orgeron will already be sitting in his office in Knoxville drinking coffee. And every night Saban leaves his office, Ed Orgeron will still be sitting in his office drinking Red Bulls.

GerryOP writes:

212 -- Fear The Kiffin...

longball writes:

in response to VOLlivin_inbama:

LMAO

Irwin_Linker writes:

I posted that last one for you Vol in Bama. The gut has been busted.

ICARRIEDGOALPOST writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

come on man, don't leave us hangin like that, what did he say that was sooo offensive? it must have been something pretty bad for marlon to just drop us b/c of one comment.

DisorientedVol writes:

All of this Brown/Orgeron is garbage. Yesterday, I believe it was somewhere on volnation that said his grandmother was offended by his language. Today, the enemy sites are saying he was drunk. Tomorrow, he will have sexually assaulted grandma.

Brown is gone. Let it go. I can't be too upset about having Jones, Paige, Richardson, Green, and Teague as receivers.

Let the enemy sweat our recruiting momentum. They know next year is ours.

Irwin_Linker writes:

in response to DisorientedVol:

Let the enemy sweat our recruiting momentum. They know next year is ours.

It was the language thing. Orgeron wasn't drunk. I agree its over see earlier post MB is overrated. Great player, but hes not going to win you an NC on his own. I like Richardson to be the difference maker on offense in this class the boy can scoot.

Volunatic writes:

in response to IdentityTheftVictim09:

His cousin Jethro is right-- Jim Tressel's 8th cousin is OBNOXIOUS.

Volunatic writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

Yeah, I was down in Pahokee a couple of weeks ago and my friends there were all hangin' out with Nu'Keese when urban meyer stopped by. meyer made a very convincing pitch for going to uf, but then I pointed out to Nu'Keese that urban had a huge booger hanging out of his nose. As soon as urban left the room, Nu'Keese told us that he couldn't play for such a dork, so he was going to sign with Tennessee.

MikeHamiltonFan writes:

Muschamp and Orgeron both need to be muzzled a bit. Cursing does not make you a better coach. Coach O'Neill was not a better motivator than Bruce Pearl. I think because of the standard of professionalism set by Kiffin that Orgeron will maintain his passion and his fire but will not call recruits POS and tell them they are f'in up.

givehim6 writes:

I for one am ready to let Brown go. If the dawgs know how much cane is being rased about this at UT we will have barking dawgs on this site for weeks. Originally this was a story of how coach O took Teagie away from the gators. I say welcome to UT Teagie, Go Vols. And in your face coach mayers

MidTennVol writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

I hear you, Irwin. And based on what I've read, I was concerned...until I heard Orgeron and Kiffin at their press conference.

They both were very candid about some kids not buying into their style and system at all. "It's not for everybody," they both said. I respect that and I think a lot of 18-year-old prospects and their parents would too.

I certainly respect Marlon and his Granny for doing what they think is best for him. And I look forward to our secondary introducing themselves to Marlon this fall.

If Orgeron can coach, if he recruits clean, and he doesn't embarrass the university, then I'm all for it. I don't particularly care for any coach who feels the need to use vulgar and obscene language for emphasis with college kids but many do, including our former staff.

All I want is a minimum of nine wins this fall and a top-five recruiting class this time next year. It goes without saying that I also expect, as does everyone, a clean, respectable program with not even a hint of slime, a football program and staff with a reputation of unimpeachable integrity.

Time will tell.

adamsck#591720 writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

I've read this elsewhere. I mean you can't be all things to everybody. If we lose a few Browns but get a lot of Teagues, Myles, and Jacksons - who all are coming at least partly because of Orgeron then that's just the way it goes. Even Pete Carroll doesn't get EVERYBODY he wants. But the attitude is important. Orgeron won't get everybody he wants but it won't be for lack of trying. And I for one really like that.

GOBIGO72 writes:

Brown played against kids 1/2 his size and 1/2 his speed - my son is in the same league - there's usually no more than one or two a year that can go forward - and he makes 1 - can't wait to see how he does against equal comp. I know it sounds like sour grapes, but I would have still been thinking it even if he had signed with TN - this will be very interesting to see how this pans out over the next 4 yrs - hope it works out well for him...but I for one am very skeptical based on who he went up against every week.

Irwin_Linker writes:

in response to GOBIGO72:

100 percent agree I played in this league. To say kids are only half his size and speed might be an optimistic stretch. The talent has to be bottoms in the state if not the southeast. would have loved to see him play MUS,CBHS, or Melrose. He probably wouldnt have come close to his average of about 400 yards.

Just a few words about southern boys and their mamas and grandmamas. THEY LOVE THEM! THEY RESPECT THEM! It doesn't matter what you, or Coach O, or anyone else thinks about it, you don't get anywhere with guys like that if (grand)mama doesn't like who you will be hanging with. No, their (grand)mamas won't coach them, or represent them with the NFL, or any of that other stuff, but their (grand)mama will stand by them when all those other people have passed out of their lives. People who don't understand religion or family ties in the South must not have had much in the way of either. However, it is not necessary to have those attachments oneself to recognize that they are important TO SOME KIDS. You know the old saying, "If (grand)mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy." I totally get the fact that everybody is not looking for the same things in life and not everybody is going to be comfortable in every situation. That is why it is possible for so many different schools to have sports programs in the first place. But if you don't spend the time to learn about what is important in each individual kid's life and respect the fact that HE finds those things important, you can't really expect him to believe that you REALLY have his best interests at heart. And, yes, it IS all about the kid at this point. The choice of a school is one of the biggest decisions he will have ever made at this point in his life, and he wants to know that the people who are closest to him are OK with it. Good luck, Marlon, I hope everything works out for you. We would have liked to have you, but it didn't work out. Now, go get us some more, Coach O!

memphistnvol writes:

Thanks for playing for your home state, Teague!

It's great to have a real Tennessee boy become a Vol.

SandyLoyCCM writes:

LET'S PLAY SOME FOOOOOOOTBAAAAUGH! Love this staff's passion.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

Wow, I like Ogeron---firey, intense, and no nonsense-- love that quote above-----and like Kiffen and Thompson and the rest. They exude confidence in them and feel they dont just talk the talk and will make it happen. The last staff--no disrespect to PF and JC-- had grown complacent and comfortable. These guys are on a mission and its obvious they want to win. Cant help for be excited about the future with all the energy they bring

pdhuff#552644 writes:

I think it is amusing that some think they can hurt Orgeron's feelings.

As they say in the hills, better off talking to a fence post.

easleychuck writes:

in response to wlvol:

So I should put you down as a no, for attending the spring O&W game?

smashmouth98 writes:

I agree with the talent level Brown was going against. I don't feel as bad anymore. He will have a realization when he goes across the middle and EB takes his head off!!!

Do we get anymore surprises?

rockytop4ever writes:

I love how this staff is so serious about getting the best players. I know we missed out on a few this year but given the time we had I think this staff did an excellent job. Go get 'em Coach O! Go Vols!

orangevolz writes:

in response to Irwin_Linker:

Orgeron can't win all the recruiting battles, but if there was one man to send into the battle, Ed Orgeron is that one. Best recruiter and best evaluator of talent in the country! We are very, very, very lucky to have him.

berryballer writes:

in response to wlvol:

berry is unbelievable. dont know what your talkin about plus hes like 12 yds away from history as a junior. future hall of fame player and defensive player of the year next in 09.

utmdm writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

I think it is amusing that some think they can hurt Orgeron's feelings.

As they say in the hills, better off talking to a fence post.

Arguing with a stop sign. Don't think they will slow him.