Higgins: Kiffin has long way to go before he's in Summitt's class

Tennessee Lady Vols coach Pat Summitt, who's probably one of the top five coaches of all time in any sport on any level, won her 1,000th game Thursday.

And when you include her eight national championships, her 100-percent graduation rate, the young girls she develops into women who contribute to society in ways far beyond the court and the fact she elevated her entire sport through winning, promotion and sheer class, she should have been the only headline from Knoxville on every national media outlet.

Except she was subjected to being an afterthought, because of the Vols' new boy blunder football coach Lane Kiffin thinking he was doing his job getting Vols' fans excited by falsely accusing Florida coach Urban Meyer (who has won two BCS national titles in four years and is 4-0 vs. Tennessee) of cheating in recruiting.

For any Vol fan trying to equate Kiffin's jabbing Meyer to former Gators' coach Steve Spurrier gigging Tennessee and former coach Phillip Fulmer all those years, forget it. That's a lame Kiffin comparison.

For one, Spurrier never accused (even jokingly) Fulmer of cheating. Secondly, Spurrier, though it wasn't the classiest thing to do, earned the right to needle the Vols because he owned them. He was 8-4 against Tennessee at Florida.

Kiffin hasn't even coached a college game. And the guy he's relying on for advice, recruiting and otherwise, assistant head coach Ed Orgeron, won exactly three SEC games (3-21) in three seasons as Ole Miss' head coach before somebody snapped an ammonia cap under the collective nose of the Rebels' administration so it could fire him.

Don't forget the third Stooge, Vols assistant Lance Thompson , who came from the University of Alabama, saying that Tennessee is "going to own (the city of) Memphis" in recruiting. Guess Lance has been sipping some of Coach Ohmygawd's Red Bull.

Last time I checked, Harding Academy star receiver Marlon Brown, the best high school player in the state, signed with Georgia on Wednesday, partly because of Coach Uh-Oh's clumsy recruiting. Brown, like a lot of recruits, obviously wanted to go to somewhere where he felt he would be developed as a player and actually get a chance to play in a BCS bowl, something Tennessee last did at the end of the 1999 season.

Kiffin, although I remain extremely skeptical, might turn out to be a decent coach.

But here's a news flash, Boy Blunder. Until you've accomplished something, stop talking noise. Right now, you remind me of an athlete who pounds his chest after a big play in a game in which his team is losing by 30 points.

When that happens, people just start laughing, because it's so pathetic.

By the way, SportSouth will televise a four-hour tribute to Summitt on Monday night at 6.

Kiffin, meanwhile, will be auditioning for the Last Comic Standing.

billsatter#588212 writes:

What a moronic article.

UTvols12342000 writes:

worst article of 2009 so far. and that is saying alot.

Ironcity writes:

Nice headline Higgins. You really shocked me with your brilliant insight there.

MemphoVol writes:

Don't listen to them, Coach Kiffin. You know what they say about people who can't take a joke....

orangevolz writes:

Duuh...Hate to tell you Mr Higgins, but Kiffin and every other coach in the country have a long way to go before they are in Pat's class. I have no doubt Kiffin will be a great coach, but to make a comparison at this point is absurd, besides it is comparing apples and oranges. Stick to writing about Mumphis and leave Knoxville to us.

tdforvols writes:

Why do they post this garbage? Absolute worst article I have read in many a moon. UTvols said "that is saying alot" and I agree because they get more then their share of stinkers on this site. Pathetic.

orange_glory writes:

Can we please get over this. I am sure Kiffy boy has had a talking to by Monte, Hamilton, and the $$$$$. So let's just move on.

flathead_38006#255749 writes:

Higgins, you don't deserve to be paid for that article

1manningfan writes:

I agree Higgins Coach K needs to have his mouth washed out with soap. However, I like that he is not afraid of the SEC and the star studed coaches who coach in it.

Go Vols!!!

VOLlivin_inbama writes:

Wow....I had to take a second look at the writer of this article.
For a minute there I thought I was reading a Paul Finbaum piece!!

billsatter#588212 writes:

KNS has the suggest removal button for posts that are out of line. I recommend they give us the option to remove this phooey. I know KNS could care less about my patronage, but I'm just about to boycott this site. They continue to write these negative articles about Kif and recruiting even though a large majority of the fanbase loves this guy.

FWBVol writes:

Is it just me, or do guys like Higgins miss the irony of all of this? They blame Lane Kiffin for stealing Pat's thunder, but here it is four days later and they are still writing about it in this column.

Many of the same writers that were calling for Hamilton to make a change because CPF had become stale and predictable are now all over Kiffin for speaking up. Amazing.

An underlying good thing to come out of all of this is the Bobbsy (sp) Twins, Higgins and Adams finally disagree on something.

orange_glory writes:

Kiffin is a 30+ year old kid and his mouth gets away from him sometimes. I am sure the powers that be have tightened the leash just a little bit. It is all a learning process. I don't think Kiffin knew how big a microscope he was going to be under as head coach for our beloved UT

govols#243346 writes:

I don't particularly care for a trash talker, I think you let your playing do the talking. Respect is earned. But, to be fair to Kiffin, didn't Spurrier falsely acuse Kiffin of a recruiting violation in regards to Jarvis Giles when Kiffin was only on the job a day. I didn't see the SEC reprimand Spurrier

dvhill100 writes:

First, thanks for stating LK isn't in the same class as Pat, Mr. Obvious. She is an established head coach and he is just starting. Thanks for pointing that out. A professional (I use that tongue in cheek) name calling in his article. Very professional. I am sure the Pulitzer will be calling shortly.

As for LK, if nothing else, he certainly has demonstrated he has "slap in his strap".

bigtangerine writes:

Face it fellas, Higgins is right. Kiffin is all talk.
Tennessee is 0-for-9 years in the BCS and counting. These bozos recruited no help on the offensive or defensive line. They LOST offensive linemen who could have helped immediately. Heck, nobody even noticed that the second JUCO DT (Holbert) signed with Arizona. ARIZONA!
Yeah, the secondary looks stacked. Whoopee.
Florida didn't own Pahokee. Nobody did. Heck, two Pahokee kids signed with a Big Ten school last month and are already enrolled and getting ready for spring practice. The same school signed another Pahokee kid last year and he became it's leading receiver as a FRESHMAN without a decent quarterback.
Tennessee owns Memphis? Never...

Blue_VOL18 writes:

Terrible Terrible Terrible artical......anymore negative articles like this should not be put out

Slystone writes:

After 3 years if the Vols are still no better than today we may look back on this article and realize Higgins may have been on to something. Don't be in denial Vol Fans. If another coach around the league had made the comments as Kiffin had we'd be saying he fell and bumped his head. Bottom line is go win some games and let that do the speaking for yourself. White shoes and blue leisure suit antics we don't need.

stroker writes:

Higgins it sure did not distract me from CPS great achivement and I believe the majority of the other viewers could care less . Seems you are just trying to make it a big issue. Just MO.

orange_glory writes:

I like Kiffin. He is like the old men of Bear Bryant's era. They didn't give a rats butt about all of this Politically Correct garbage. They didn't walk around on egg shells afraid they were going to hurt someone feelings. We as a country have become sissyfied (spelling)

CrankE writes:

in response to billsatter#588212:

Amen, how about a "Suggest Removal" for articles/columns that are poorly written with little/no grammar/spell check, too many song lyrics, factual errors, conclusions that don't match reality, etc.

Maybe they could retitle this one, "Higgins has a long way to go to be in John Adams' class."

mdavis332#560634 writes:

What is this and what is the point? I have never heard of Higgins but he sure isn't in Summitt's class and don't know when he will be but we need someone to compare him to a jerk....and why would KNS print something like this from the Commercial Appeal.

RJ_Vol writes:

Higgins, you must have run out of things to write about. First, he wanted Fulmer to be fired. It happened. Now, he apprently has "had it" with Kiffin. No need to worry about the Pulitzer with this drivel. I'd like to see a reference on how UF hung a field goal on Miami w/ no time left AND did not need the points. I suppose that was ethical and sportsmanlike. We'll see where UT's program is headed, but you're hitched to the Kiffin train whether you like it or not...after calling for Fulmer's firing. You can't just "pick up your toys" and go home just because Lane isn't playing fair. I'll be supporting the Orange this Fall. Let's hope Higgins sticks to Memphis athletics...

CrankE writes:

Oh no wait. If they removed those articles/columns then what would KNS have?

CoastGuardVol writes:

Who cares???? This is a sports based website. If it were a talk show website I could see peopled getting ticked. Im tired of hearing about it. If the football team loses (see last season) we get negative articles. We hire a young cocky coach we hear negative phooey about it. Who cares. Its somewhere around 208 days from kick off. Thats when Coach Kiffin will be able to show what he is made of. Personally I'm 30 and I let my mouth get ahead of me sometimes. That is cause I know what my ability/potential is. I am certain based on his age Coach is the same way. Can we just let this phooey go?? GO VOLS!!!!

dvhill100 writes:

in response to CrankE:

Oh no wait. If they removed those articles/columns then what would KNS have?

Today? Nothing, which speaks volumes.

billsatter#588212 writes:

Boy Blunder, Stooge....how can you call the coaches names like this? I hope you are held accountable for this garbage. Personally, I think they should ban you from the UT campus.

stroker writes:

in response to orange_glory:

Good post. Take that Higgins.

TD_4_UT writes:

Sports Writers like this think they know about class? Two paragraphs about Pat, the rest bashing Kiffin. Talk about beating a dead horse. Besides, how can you compare these two completely diffrent coaches? GO PAT! GO KIFFIN! GO VOLS!

Observer43 writes:

Higgins and John Adams are in the same class.....classless!

stroker writes:

in response to Observer43:

Higgins and John Adams are in the same class.....classless!

At least Adams is postive about Kiffin.

Voluvr writes:

Boy Blunder? Spurrier never accused Fulmer of cheating? What about Spurrier accusing Kiffin of cheating by recruiting before he took his coaches test?

Remember, it's you sportswriters that are responsible for all the chatter.

middlegavol writes:

Coaches call other coaches names and that is no class.
Sports writers call coaches names and that is journalism.
Kiffin gets to clear all of this up on November 7 when the Vols play Tiger Middle School.
'nuff said.

Voluvr writes:

This Orange Envy at its finest!

Go get em Kiffin!

billsatter#588212 writes:

Since Ronnie boy wants to call people names, I suggest we brainstorm some nicknames for him on this site. How about "The Memphis Clown".

Judging the quality of this article, he has to be a college intern with the Commercial Appeal.

Vol43 writes:

Well let's see. This is to Higgins. Maybe we have a long way to go to be in her class. What a dumbaass article. Is that all you have? You may as well be an interloper which I'm sure you are. A KNS interloper, that is.

CoolBreeze20 writes:

And the author probably wonders at night why he cant get a job writing for a REAL sports magazine. Do us all a favor and be an actual journalist, not a mud slinging monkey. When Kiffin starts winning and signing top 5 recruiting classes, I bet you start kissing his butt at every opportunity.

Caspian writes:

They just can't stop talking about Kiffin and Tennessee football. I love it!

billsatter#588212 writes:

in response to Vol43:

I like it..."The Memphis Interloper". This is a great nickname for him.

Vol43 writes:

in response to CoolBreeze20:

Dude

rusty_shackleford writes:

ron and tuscaloosa john have a long way to go before the clowns are in Ben Byrd's class.

The name calling in the article was the same kind of pandering to the memphis crowd as the coach's comments Thursday to the UT crowd. Same thing. SAME THING!!! You, mr. root huggin' are the proverbial pot looking down your very brown nose at the kettle.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

This is just another Memphian (I live here) that is finding a way to vent his jealousy and envy of our football program. I have to read this trash in our sports section every day!! I have to listen to these kind of folk every day (believe me, it is worse in basketball season because they think they have more ammunition).

volroadwarrior writes:

What a hack!! There is no basis of comparison for Summitt and Kiffin. Summitt is GREAT. Kiffin is probably GOING to be great for UT. Of couse Kiffin hasn't had a chance to prove himself, but he is getting off to a GREAT start. All of these idiotic politically correct metro sexual reporters can scream, yell, wring their limp wristed hands all they want, but they won't keep our coach from implementing his plan.

dvhill100 writes:

in response to gatorzz:

None have been positive? Check your facts before you use absolute terms. I watched PTI and they both gave thumbs up. Whether you agree or not, there is positive takes on it.

I also saw a map on one of the websites (CBS?) where the favorable to unfavorable response to LK was extremely close. (51% unfavorable and 49% favorable overall).

tloutn writes:

Just goes to show why the Sentinel is consistanly one of the worst newspapers in the country. Good job.

SCarolinaVols writes:

Whats the idiots email? Maybe if the Tennessee fans started filling up these crank writers email box they would see the support we have for our football team.

dvhill100 writes:

There are positive takes (gotta make the verb plural) :)

bls8617#370509 writes:

If you want to just bash the new coach don't try to hide it by "comparing" him to Pat Summit. A fifth grader would see through that. If you want to bash someone, man up and just do it instead of trying to mask it. Ya weak little child.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to gatorzz:

just for you geographical genius, Higgins is from Memphis, not local, and there are no hills or mtns. in Memphis. Do you know the difference in where Jacksonville is located in respect to Miami? About like Memphis is to Knoxville!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Nominated for the most asinine group of words I've read in a long time.

And I read a lot.

Did he teach 1st grade before going to work for the CA?