Mock press conference among secondary violations UT self-reported

Tennessee reported two secondary violations last month that occurred while hosting football recruits on official visits.

Nine prospects in Knoxville for an official visit on Jan. 16 participated in a mock press conference in Neyland Stadium’s media center after touring the stadium. Coaches asked the prospects questions while they were being filmed.

According to a letter UT sent Jan. 26 to the SEC and NCAA, UT coach Lane Kiffin and recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron were involved in the violations. The university became aware of the violation when the compliance staff read a prospect’s account of the visit in a news article.

Also included in UT’s letter, obtained by the News Sentinel through an open records request, was a previously reported violation that occurred when UT used a fog machine as a recruit entered the field in Neyland Stadium during his official visit Jan. 9.

The SEC office informed UT of that violation, which only involved one prospect.

“The violations occurred due to an incorrect assumption by the football coaching staff regarding official visit activities,” Tennessee wrote in its letter.

According to the letter, UT’s coaching staff believed that the mock press conference was permissible because it was not a public act and only involved a conversation between the coaching staff and recruits. Kiffin believed the use of a fog machine was permissible because he had seen it used while employed at another school.

That was most likely Southern California, where Kiffin was an assistant coach for six seasons. Washington reported a similar secondary violation last month by new head coach Steve Sarkisian, who coached with Kiffin at Southern California.

UT deemed both the mock press conference and use of the fog machine violations of an NCAA rule prohibiting schools from simulating a game experience for recruits during an official visit.

Those violations were the only self-reports involving UT’s football program since last summer.

UT issued letters of admonishment to Kiffin and Orgeron and provided the coaching staff with a review of NCAA legislation regarding official and unofficial visits.

“They understand that they must ask questions of the compliance office about anything ‘creative’ regarding campus visits,” UT wrote.

Tennessee immediately declared the 10 prospects involved in the violations ineligible, a standard procedure when reporting violations. The NCAA has since reinstated all the recruits involved, UT athletic department spokeswoman Tiffany Carpenter said.

UT reported six other minor violations involving various men’s and women’s programs dating to June 2008.

Tennessee likely will not receive additional punishment from either the NCAA or SEC for any the violations it reported during that time period.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BigMix writes:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...............Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

steelers6rings writes:

CHEATERS just keep CHEATING and CHEATING AND CHEATING and then have the audacity to be an idiot and cry FOUL like a baby when there was nothing to cry about !!! WAAAAGH WAAAAGH WAAAGH!

HtownVol writes:

OK and what is the punishment??

Ironcity writes:

Its tough to stay in compliance with the NCAA.

Waldorf writes:

What are the other 7 violations?

Coach_K writes:

Ha! Maybe Kiff should stop by Phils new office and grab a crash course on the NCAA rule book.

cb4vols#206343 writes:

Seems like it would be a very WISE idea to have members of the compliance staff present at every recruiting event that goes on for the 2010 class..... an ounce of prevention maybe?????

RoyaltyVol writes:

Where is all the good news?

smokeysal22 writes:

Lets jump on the Kiffin train to NCAA Sanctions, it is only a matter of time.......(I do like the smoke machine, how that simulates a game experience I don;t know)

ratingsbooster5 writes:

in response to steelers6rings:

You would know about cheating. Tell me how many zeros were in the check that the STEALers sent the refs for the Super Bowl win>

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to HtownVol:

OK and what is the punishment??

Not much. Especially when the school reports them.
However, expect a bombardment of Gator fans here especially after whats happened recently.

BigT_Chief writes:

in response to Coach_K:

If some of these go back to June, then the reason he needs to stop by the office would be ask ol' Phil what the other violations were since they were on his watch.

Classof98 writes:

The $6 million staff needs to read the rule book before we get banished from postseason play. 2008? Oh yeah, never mind...

crappieking writes:

Why is this news KNS? So What! A dam@ fog machine.

KENVOL writes:

I'm scared to death over these new coaches. Are they just stupid or what. Don't they know the rules. I love the attitude that they show but I'm very afraid that we will be in trouble very soon with the NCAA. I hope I'm wrong.

steelers6rings writes:

in response to ratingsbooster5:

Six RINGS BABY !!!! You sound like the Lady Vols fans that are whining because the referees are cheating them and making them lose these games this year.. Most Vol fans are whiners and complainers.. I am shamed to say that I go to the school most of the time !!!

Go STEELERS !!!!

SemperVol writes:

Hmmm...that's odd... I was issued a secondary violation by the NCAA just a moment ago, too.

What the...

steelers6rings writes:

in response to workinlikehek:

It's A GREEEEEEAT DAY TO BE A PITTSBURGH STEELER FAN !!!!

not so great to be a hillbilly high fan !!!!!

Waldorf writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Woo hoo!

Go4Two writes:

This is the tip of the iceberg... Don't trust this new staffs ability to follow the rules.

smillar31 writes:

Well I guess we now know how USC steals all their recruiting classes every year. If Kiffin and Sarkisian both use the smoke machine, that practice must be commmon place on USC campus. They either don't know they been cheating or don't have the integrity to self-report themselves and stop doing it.

SemperVol writes:

"The university became aware of the violation when the compliance staff read a prospects account of the visit in a news article."

Compliance Officer Judas... How could you?

(I think Dave Hooker just gave himself a pat on the back.. because didn't he publish that "news" article?)

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to rammerjammer987:

Bama, why'd you change your username?

It is coming to light that USC has used the fog machine enough for Lane and Steve to both like it and actually employ it at their new jobs, where it is SUDDENLY a secondary violation. So why has the NCAA not knocked on Pete Carrol's door about this already? I don't care about USC but if it's illegal at two schools then it's illegal at 3...

matrosscbc writes:

It's still embarrassing .....I hope this isn't a pattern

WiseVol writes:

My question..Why is using a fog machine and creating a mock press conference a violation and calling a prospect while he is visiting another school not a violation. The NCAA is one screwed up organization!!!

Classof98 writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

I couldn't agree more DC...these guys are going to destroy what little bit of good reputation we have left and then walk away laughing all the way to the bank. I will be surprised if Junior and daddy even wear Orange on gamedays.

SemperVol writes:

in response to UTfan4life:

Unnecessary.

steelers6rings writes:

in response to KENVOL:

"Stupid is as Stupid does"... A quote by Forest Gu.... Oh wait.. i think that was a quote by Lane Kiffin in reference to Ed Orgeron !!!

ratingsbooster5 writes:

in response to steelers6rings:

Go STEELERS !!!!

Looks like someone is taking things a bit personally. Feeling guilty because you know i am right. The last two Super Bowl wins the STEALers have had the refs have been the reason why..

pdowned writes:

in response to LazhilUT:

Uh, LazhilUT - Phil was no teh job for over 15 years. Kiffin's been at it for a couple of weeks. 2 for Kiffin in 2 months on the job, 7 for Fulmer in 15 years? Nice try, but your lack of intelligence just got the better of you.

MidTennVol writes:

Philip Fulmer, is that you I hear still chortling all the way from the bowels of Stokely Athletic Center?

drone#208075 writes:

in response to DCdynasty:

DCFlorida?? - What happened to you man? You've flipped.

steelers6rings writes:

in response to ratingsbooster5:

Not me Sir!! Have nothing guilty about !! Called for holding in the end zone for a safety in the last 5 mintes.. Called for holding on the first play of the last drive of the game. Kurt Warner takes his helmet off in front of three refs while whining about a call (which was reversed) and NO penalty was called).. Bad calls on both teams.. You play the game and play to the whistle !! And don't moan and whine.. You WIN like a MAN and LOSE like a MAN !! The Steelers put together a winning drive despite the penalty. The catch by Santonio Holmes was incredible considering the pressure of the moment. Guilty??? NAH !! Not at all !! PROUD !! Yes !!! STEELERS equals CLASS !!! The Titans could learn a little watching !!!

MidTennVol writes:

Heath Shuler throws deep...

edwardsd#492198 writes:

Just to clarify and answer a few questions:

UT reported seven other violations since June. They occured in various other men's and women's programs. These were the only football violations UT self-reported.

There should be no additional penalties for these violations other than the ones UT self-imposed. In the case of the football recruits, they are all eligible after being reinstated by the NCAA.

- Drew Edwards

ArealVolFan writes:

Okay, so for all the people out there claiming there is going to be some major violation in the future because "this staff just can't be trusted" or "Kiffin just doesn't know the rules" you should understand these are minor violations and not a big deal at all, and gloom and doom are net setting in over the program. We will be just fine. The KNS just likes reporting news that really isn't news. Oh and for all the Fulmer supporters still out there, I guess you skipped over the part about the violations under his watch? The point is these kinds of things happen...everywhere. Florida and Bama included.

ratingsbooster5 writes:

in response to steelers6rings:

You talk out your @$$ more than anyone i know. I hate the Nashville Titans and wish they would leave the state. and if you call CLASS buying superbowl rings then the STEALers in in the top of the clASS

BuckheadVol1 writes:

in response to steelers6rings:

It's A GREEEEEEAT DAY TO BE A PITTSBURGH STEELER FAN !!!!

not so great to be a hillbilly high fan !!!!!

WTF are you posting on here representing the Steelers on a college board. I too am a Steeler's fan but bringing that s_h_t on this borad makes no sense. Go the F away now please.

MoneyBaby writes:

As a graduate of the class of 1985 and a season ticket holder since then, I can't beleive what's happening. We have gone from a program run with impeccable class by men who would die for the program, to a zoo run by gypsies who could care less what they do. I would have kept paying my VASF money no matter what Fulmer's record was, but now, this is my final year. Done.

I don't care how many championships we win with these new guys. They will be rented.

SemperVol writes:

in response to steelers6rings:

I don't want to jump in the middle of the bickering you guys are going through, but that was one helluva catch. One helluva Super Bowl.

Fun to watch. Didn't have a dog in the fight.. but fun to watch.

Now to get this conversation back on track... Santonio Holmes was a Pahokee kid, ya know.

jeremy78tn writes:

in response to steelers6rings:

Cheaters? Using a smoke machine is cheating? And a mock press conference? How excactly does that give the upper hand?

utnoeler writes:

bettter get this stuff under control. if we land on probation thats a 10 year rebuilding process. just ask ALABAMA. those cheaters know the deal.

and that would most certainly be the last youd ever hear of lane kiffin. he would never coach again...ever.

small violations, and i agree they are stupid rules for the most part, but they are the rules and the coach needs to know and follow them.

im supporting the coach, but i hope this isnt a trend that continues. i love the trash talking by the coach. but you gotta know the rules and win games...

BuckheadVol1 writes:

I am hoping and think Kiffin is pushing the envelope to see what he can and cannot get away with regarding secondary violations. I also think since he was behind the ball going into the recruiting season that he was going to use the "new" stigma for all that it was worth. I am praying that this is the case and we will see an ethical process in the future for 2010.

VolFan27 writes:

in response to steelers6rings:

It's A GREEEEEEAT DAY TO BE A PITTSBURGH STEELER FAN !!!!

not so great to be a hillbilly high fan !!!!!

Vol fan or interloper? My guess interloper

rootin4volz writes:

Wow...scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with news today, eh KNS? Heck, you even had to conduct an open records request. You gotta love how hypocritical the media can be. What's more, you're just adding fuel to the fire of all these Gayterd fans. Azzes.

steelers6rings writes:

in response to ratingsbooster5:

If you really think that the Pittsburgh Steelers went to the NFL and paid off refs to with their last two Super Bowls there is not much I can say to help you accept... There are alot of teams in the NFL that have tons more money than the Steelers.. So why did'nt Jerry Jones step up to the plate and buy a couple of Super Bowls. Sounds kinda like what UT is doing throwing millions and millions and millions into trying to buy a BCS championship !!!

JohnsonCity_George writes:

in response to Coach_K:

Dude, can't you read? It's CLK 2, CPF 7.

BSweet writes:

in response to pdowned:

I doubt it's seven in 15 years for Fulmer. I'd guess more. The difference is CLK is under a KNS microscope while "minor" infractions weren't that newsworthy under Fulmer.

Moaninglikeheck writes:

in response to pdowned:

To be fair, I don't think this article is clear enough to pinpoint that the seven violations reported dating to June 8th were the sum of Phil Fulmer's career. I read it differently, that in June seven violations were reported but the time frame wasn't defined. Somehow I doubt anyone reported a violation last year that occured ten years ago IMHO. Likely these were recent violations under Phil's watch.

HOWEVER, I think secondary violations are pretty common and can happen when a coach sneezes too loud. I'm not concerned about Kiffin's OR Fulmer's violations on the surface because these things happen everywhere.

What does concern me is the new kid on the block not being extra careful and paying attention to details. I can understand Fulmer getting a little lax and complacent over the years because he knew where the line was. Seems like Kiffin would be walking the straight and narrow at this point.

ESPECIALLY in light of his cheating comments. Those who live in glass houses, right?

Ironcity writes: