Inky Johnson named UT grad assistant

Former Tennessee defensive back Inky Johnson has been named a defensive graduate assistant on UT's football staff.

Johnson suffered a career ending injury in 2006. He has served as a student assistant coach since then.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

FWBVol writes:

Congrats to Inky, a true Tennessee Volunteer in every way.

RoyaltyVol writes:

Way to go Inky, we're glad to have you on our staff!

bmgvirgo#210233 writes:

Excellent News!

ctownvol writes:

Couldn't happen to a more deserving young man.

volinSmyrna writes:

I guess good, positive articles only get 2 sentences in the KNS.

Congrats Inky... It is good to have him still involved in the program.

volinSmyrna writes:

I'm sorry, 3 sentences. I can't count.

StroVol writes:

Great News. Inky was player

10volunteers98 writes:

THANKS,INKY.AND CONGRATULATIONS.GLAD TO HAVE YOU.

BlueTickLady writes:

Woo Hoo! Inky has a great attitude, and the players are often quoted about how much they like and respect him. I love this! Looks like a great choice by CLK to get some orange blood on the staff.

SeanJean writes:

That's awesome. What a great story. Congrats Inky, and best of luck!

Laydbakvol writes:

Congratulations to Inky, but please tell me that wasn't all of the article. Maybe if he had trash-talked His Tebowness, he could have merited a few more paragraphs.

ColeTrickle writes:

what happened to Inky as far as his injury???

glad to have him!

StroVol writes:

Thanks KNS, best news you've put out since FEB.5 Janzen Jackson. Keep searching, they are out there

memphis_vol_fan writes:

Way to go Inky.

Reason writes:

You guys are ridiculous. I love reading these comments, but it never fails that someone has something degrading to say about KNS when the article doesn't give you everything you want, when you want it.

If they had taken the time to draft up a long, lengthy article about Inky Johnson's playing history and biography, you all would have been on here saying "Old news KNS, this came out hours ago"

Ugh, sorry to rant.

TD_4_UT writes:

Finally some good news! Inky was a player! This guy would put the hit on somebody! Remind you of somebody? I am glad to see this happen for this young Man.

tripper writes:

This is an obvious sentimental choice of us Vol fans, but I don't view this staff as a very sentimental bunch. Thus, CLK and company obviously think he can flat out coach. Congrats Inky !

stillavolsfan27 writes:

i wish he didn't get hurt in the Air force game. He was a great player on Defense. He deserves anyhting he can get in his situation he is an amazing young man

pms151 writes:

I sure wish I was in his shoes as a kid. Turning tragedy into a positive beginning. And to think what a resume he is going to have with Monte Kiffen and Chief the first two coaches as references. With his strength and mental toughness to go along with his resume...WOW!

drone#208075 writes:

Excellent:)

He won't get to do much if any coaching, but just having him on the sidelines and involved in the program can't help but be a good thing! Congrats, Inky! Well deserved!

SemperVol writes:

What great news!!!

I will never forget that injury; was in the stands...
"INKY... INKY.... INKY.... INKY"

orngbluded writes:

congrats to Inky,man what a player he was well on his to being a great player for us.Im glad he is still around to help these players.

reachkim00 writes:

Something positive for once. Congrats Inky.

BRVol writes:

in response to volinSmyrna:

I guess good, positive articles only get 2 sentences in the KNS.

Congrats Inky... It is good to have him still involved in the program.

You are right on. Two Sentences... really?

pms151 writes:

Awhile back there was a story posted here about a prominent defensive coach who lost his job looking at the possibility of being a GA on this staff. My memory doesn't serve me as to his name. Anybody know what the outcome of that was? Maybe we could convince Chucky to go to grad school too. :)

allvol9 writes:

Amazing young man and a real Tennessee Vol! So glad that UT made this great move. Congrats Inky!

FlaVol2 writes:

Good for you Inky. Have fun working with the defense and teaching them what you know.

TD_4_UT writes:

Even though KNS did'nt have a big article on this It is my hope that Inky logs on and reads these comments. In case he thought VOL fans did'nt remember. Once a VOL always a VOL ! I'm sure he would be proud!

easymoney writes:

in response to Reason:

Ugh, sorry to rant.

I am sorry but you cannot call this an article. This might be a statement or announcement but it is a far cry from an article.

luvorange writes:

Love you, Inky! How could you not be inspired with this guy on the sidelines?

TD_4_UT writes:

in response to DukeDeLuca:

That's what the Media would have you beleive. Not VOL fans!

easymoney writes:

what is with the hyperlinks in this statement or announcement for advertisements? Enough already. Expand on this to make it an article and I will read the advertisements. KNS, you jerks.

JohnyLobo34 writes:

Great Move! I wondered how the new staff was going to handle INKY! He's clearly valuable; his relationship with Myles was huge.

glemmons writes:

in response to SemperVol:

What great news!!!

I will never forget that injury; was in the stands...
"INKY... INKY.... INKY.... INKY"

I remember that game against Air Force. It was so quite. then the chants started. Congrats Inky you will always be a fan favorite.

agentorange writes:

Inky is da man. He played all out.

rockytoplady writes:

in response to SemperVol:

What great news!!!

I will never forget that injury; was in the stands...
"INKY... INKY.... INKY.... INKY"

I was there too and remember the crowd shouting his name. I am so pleased he will be on the staff.

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

Did Foley/Slive sign off on this hire? CLK...you had better check in with them and make sure it's OK.

stillavolsfan27 writes:

I hop inky can coach as well as he played if that is the case we will have a indestructable defense

govols_88 writes:

Great News!! Good for UT and for Inky

Can't help but to think...dont you have to have NFL ties or a sparkling coaching resume to even be considered even as a GA on this staff? Thats what has been shown so far at least

vol88 writes:

Ditto to all comments so far. I've never said that before.

wyomingvol writes:

Work your way up the ladder Inky!!!

Hopefully a position coach will be not too far away!

GO VOLS!!!

Volchaz writes:

I was at that game, as well. I'm truly happy that this staff brought him on. He gave it all on the field for his team, and a tough fought victory. Good job KNS on including something positive with this team..

ChattVol2485 writes:

in response to ColeTrickle:

what happened to Inky as far as his injury???

glad to have him!

If memory serves me correct, he damaged his right shoulder after a hard hit against Air Force and ended up with nerve damage.

Bass_Vol_1998 writes:

in response to glemmons:

Quietest I ever heard it was Thanksgiving weekend when Travis Henry dove over the pile for a TD, but landed on his head. So quiet for so long... it was really spooky for that many people to be silent.

Congrats Inky- I'm glad you have a spot. Your resume will keep getting better.

justincredible369#357762 writes:

Your injury was such a shame. We can all learn from Mr. Johnson by realizing that its always 10% circumstance and 90% how we react to it.

elizabethtonvol72 writes:

Congrats Inky!!! Wish you only the best. GO VOLS!!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to Reason:

Ugh, sorry to rant.

spoken like a true KNS'er.

suPEARLman writes:

SWEET!!!

Inky was ALL VOL!!!

I still cringe when I think about that hit. Glad to see him back and in Orange.

bluetick writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Couldn't happen to a more deserving young man.

That's HUGE. I can't agree more.