Casey Clausen talks Vols, Montana, Gretzky

Former University of Tennessee quarterback Casey Clausen shared some insightful thoughts on recruiting during an appearance Thursday on the News Sentinel's radio show, The Sports Page.

Clausen knows recruiting well enough to be an analyst. He and his two brothers were all recruited to play major college football and he's mentoring two quarterback prospects, junior Nick Montana and sophomore Trevor Gretzky, at Oaks Christian Academy.

On new coach Lane Kiffin's recruitment of California quarterbacks: "For a Southern California kid, the key is to get them on campus. If you can get them on campus and show them the facilities and the athletes running around all over the field, it is enticing to a kid.

"I think it is going to happen with the tie he (Kiffin) has in California and the tie (recruiting coordinator Ed) Orgeron has with him at USC is going to be huge."

On prospect Nick Montana: "He can play in a system where he is under center and can take a three, five, seven step drop or you can put him in the gun and run what LSU and Florida or Texas runs. He is a great athlete. He runs the 100 and 200 (meter) in track.

"He was at a high school in De LaSalle where they ran the veer option and threw maybe four times a game. We at Oaks run a pro style offense. We will throw it 20 to 25 times a game and run it 25 times. His best football is not even close to what he is today. He is going to get better and better."

On Montana's impression of UT during a recent visit: "He liked it a lot. Being a west coast kid, you see things on TV but really don't see it until you get out there.

"He was very impressed with the coaching staff, the facilities. ... I think some of the coaches are going to come down during spring practice and watch him live."

On Nick’s father, NFL Hall of Fame QB Joe Montana, and his effect on his son: “He (Nick) is definitely football savvy. He understands reads and coverages and progressions and things like that. Whichever school gets him I think will get a good player for the fact that he is just now starting to peak.

On what he’s told Nick about recruiting and UT: “It is different than any things you have ever experienced. You will play in front of 106,000 people in the best conference in America. You will play with the best athletes every single year.

“With Coach Kiffin coming in now, that is a pro-style offense. A lot of quarterbacks now are looking at throwing it 40-50 times (in a spread offense). At the end of the day, if you want to play at the next level, you need to go to a school where they run a pro-style offense. You will be under center and run all different kinds of drops and reading progressions and making run checks at the line of scrimmage.

“With what they are going to do on the offensive side of the ball (at UT) I think it is something that he (Montana) will enjoy. I told him to try and see as many places as he can. You’ll know when you get a feel for a school or a coach and players. It is so early I just told him to see as many places as he can.”

On quarterback Trevor Gretzky, Wayne Gretzky's son: "Trevor is obviously a young pup. He is a sophomore right now. He has a lot of talent and ability right now. He is every bit of 6-4 and is really good at baseball too."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

DaveVol writes:

Wish we still had him around. He was a great competitor.

LiveFaith writes:

Wish we had Clausen back!

snafu14u#241639 writes:

First. And I'm a Clausen Fan. Bonzaivol

smashmouth98 writes:

That would be SWEET!! Sounded like a good kid with loads of potential!!!! Sell that PT/ Opportunity. Orange Swarm, Reel Them In!!!

smashmouth98 writes:

Casey has to be in the Top 5 UT QB's!!! Talk about clutch, the Iceman!!!

mtnbikrtn writes:

I liked Clausen. I didn't care for Clawson.

FlaVol2 writes:

Casey, sent them to Tennessee. They will not regret it.

scottmichaelmoore#540590 writes:

I remember the sickest I ever got as a student at UT is when I walked past Casey on campus...the instant change in temp. gave me an aweful cold.

Volfan1 writes:

He beat Florida twice, Bama three times, Miami, played hurt and beat Arkansas in that 6 OT game. Now he's giving the Vols props to those Cali QBs. Casey was a warrior....and a winner.

bls8617#370509 writes:

How can you knock Casey Clausen, his road record was unbelievably good.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to RobtheVol:

stats dont lie. casey led ut to a lot of wins. at he swamp twice....at bama..ND.etc.. he got a bad rap for saying he could have beaten GA with one arm (when he was out hurt)..but it was true. ut almost beat them in athens with james banks at qb.

tngivem6 writes:

nice article, he speaks good of UT..maybe he can give a lil push and send Montana our way..wow..first Peyton, then Montana.
we'll run out of streets to name..

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to RobtheVol:

shut up.

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

robthevol is a bigoted pierce. my only response to it EVER is shut up.

Casey came so damned close to taking us to the NC game. If Julian Battle makes the pick, UT is in the NC game against Miami, and I think we win.

VOLuptuous writes:

It amazes me how underrated Iceman is to most "vol" fans

MANVOL writes:

Casey was a hard nosed QB who was a fierce competitor. His record does speak for itself. If Coach Fulmer hadn't been quoted saying during Casey's freshman year "he was better than Peyton as a freshman" most people would not have had a reason not like him. Casey gave his all for TENESSEE on game day. Go Vols!

utchris writes:

I remember Clausen as someone who was a good QB, partied like a rockstar, and made a lot of other guys jealous because he was dating Brittany Jackson through most of college.

Capt_Winters writes:

All the Clausen haters are MORONS. Just because he doesn't speak like yuns, or looks like he just came of the farm, doesn't mean he wasn't a great QB at TN. Class Act and a great ambassador for UT.

dcrabtree813 writes:

Sounds like montana is thinking really high and(daddy montana) of UT.this would be so great for UT.since espn has it out for us.its funny how fulmer would keep his mouth shut about things and kiffin tells it like it is.i like that.Then bring in a talent qb in montana with alot of weapons that kiffin is putting around.Hello,can u say national champion soon!!!

utucla writes:

before you trash Casey, just check out his road record as a QB at UT...especially in the SEC....

235lbVol writes:

in response to RobtheVol:

At the time, I wasn't thrilled with Clausen, but, looking back now, helll, he was a winner, he won on the road "always" maybe we were spoiled just having manning and tee martin previously..I'd say Manning, Shuler,Martin,Kelly,then Clausen...are the best I can remember. I'm 37, so thats about 27 yrs of memory!

cwisenhower#637741 writes:

When a lot of people were taking shots at Casey, I stood by his side. He was an absolute warrior. He played with ridiculous injuries. The only game I was ever mad about was the Florida rain game. Every other game, I thought he did his best.

235lbVol writes:

in response to Timed_vol:

robthevol is a bigoted pierce. my only response to it EVER is shut up.

also if "Stallworth" doesn't drop that bomb that he was behind the LSU defense by 10 yards...we win!

TxFatBoy writes:

I think alot of people didn't like Casey simply because of what they considered his "California attitude". Personally, I thought he was an EXCELLENT QB. His stats were very comparable to Peyton's through his junior season. Thanks for the good words Casey!

tums writes:

I always liked Casey. I hope he can help persuade some good QB's to come to Tennessee.

WeLoveTennesseeVols writes:

in response to scottmichaelmoore#540590:

you have got to have a complex or just come out of a coma, does the world owe you a living? You should have been around the likes, of Kiner, Emmanuel, or Jack HackSaw Reynolds. They'd have beat the , you know what out of you, just for looking at them! They used to go to frat row on Saturday night, just to pick fights! Clausen put an appreciation article in the paper when he was a senior, please give the guy some credit, it's not all about you you know!@

Slystone writes:

Rather have Tee!

Caspian writes:

in response to RobtheVol:

Get ready. We're coming.

bluetick writes:

I'm surprised to read all of the positives on here. Just when I thought I was going to be one of the few to post something good about dude. When he was playing there were many people who thought he sucked if my memory serves me correctly. I've always defended him even though he couldn't run and didn't have a tight spiral....he sure could land the ball in the exact spot. Nice to hear him give nice props to his Alma mater. We'll sign a top QB next year.

newtonrail writes:

in response to RobtheVol:

Ah ha. Naffy is race bating again when any one but Tee is mentioned. Give it a rest man.

MidTennVol writes:

Casey, you are missed in Knoxville. Many -- most, I dare say -- of us out here really respected your game and the wins you brought us.

Both you and Rick were big orange competitors. Thanks.

dvhill100 writes:

I remember his first year in a game where he got pressure and his helmet was ripped off by a defensive player. He got out of the grasp and was moving in the pocket and the ref blew the play dead. Casey yelled at the ref for stopping the play to protect him. Lots of attitude (like LK) and a fierce competitor.

volunteers4life writes:

in response to RobtheVol:

Yeah, probably so, compared to all of your amazing talent JA! WTH are you smokin'? Clausen was a pimp!!! I loved him and his brother. I always thought Rick was going to be a d**n good coach someday. I remember when Jimmy was a freshman and everyone was saying that he was better than both of his brothers combined. All my UT buddies believed without a shadow of a doubt he would follow his brothers' footsteps to UT. I was so disappointed when I heard he picked ND instead. Not so much that he chose another school but, primarily because he picked our biggest (maybe just my biggest, I don't know) arch-enemy outside of our conference (#2 to some, just behind Miami) and I'm sure that info was no big secret in that household. It was like he was purposely giving all of us that had been such big fans of his brothers the big middle finger. Anyone else feel the same way? Maybe I'm alone on this one but, I still get pissed off thinking about it right now. I hope we do get Montana's son so we can metaphorically do the same thing right back in the face of every Notre Dame flunkie in the Universe. Man, and if the kid can actually play too, all the better. If not, let him take over calling in the plays like Rick enjoyed doing while here. A Montana as an Alumn could never be a bad thing one way or the other. At least he'd be likely to donate to the University regularly and hopefully promote UT to other players down the road. The more of these guys, like Clausen, we can spread out all over the country, the more of a leg up we will have in recruiting outside of Tennessee.

jimr07 writes:

in response to RobtheVol:

you should know pathetic. look in the mirror.

smokyredbone writes:

RobtheUnvol is a fa-got!!!!

tennman65 writes:

I'd take him back in a heartbeat. He was seeing double in the final drive in the 6OT win over Arkansas. That hadn't happened at Tennessee since the Majors era!

tennesseebee writes:

I had a boss who was a Ky fan. Hated UT, but he said it best, "Clausen isn't flashy, Nothin' fancy, But all the kid does is win".

Orangebrewbasher writes:

in response to Capt_Winters:

CLASS ACT?!! ROTFLMAO Oh my god I know u didn't mean that, casey had the worst attitude I think I have ever seen from a ut quarterback, maybe a ut player all together. Neither were talented but atleast his brother was the one with the heart and could keep his mouth shut.

orngbluded writes:

Clausen is the most underrated QB we have ever had he has number toward the top of every stat.Look at his win loss record,espacially at home.

Basketball_Jones writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Are you serious? He plays at ND where all he has to do is win 8 games to go to a BCS game.

They play a weak schedule and he can pad his stats. He wouldn't last 5 games in the SEC with all the speed. I mean look at what he has done vs USC, thats the only team he plays that can match the speed of the SEC.

I hate ND and Charlie Weiss but they're on TV every week and are in cahoots with the BCS to get in with an average record.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

We could use a little competent QB play.

TnBigg, what does the film study show?

HtownVol writes:

I just cant wait to see the big name that we end up getting to lead our team for the next 4 years. The next big QB to sign with UT will lead the uprise or continue the downfall of UT. Hope he is ready. Better get him a good line and better WRs to throw to also.

Youtee1 writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

Dude, did you say you'd give a BJ....

OrangeCrush writes:

Casey was clutch under pressure. Anyone remember 4th and 16 at 'Bama and he threw it 19 yards? If I remember correctly, we won the game in 5 OT's.

We miss you Casey. Best of luck to you out West and keep the recruits heading this way!

ctownvol writes:

in response to Youtee1:

Dude, did you say you'd give a BJ....

Yes. Yes he did.

92VOL05 writes:

He may not have had the most talent, but by far had the biggest heart. He knew how to win, and always showed up to play.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to mtnbikrtn:

I liked Clausen. I didn't care for Clawson.

it was not his fault that our current line of QBs can't read a playbook.

chad_t31 writes:

in response to listentothemusic:

I wouldn't have admitted that i'd give a bj.

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

in response to bricker865:

And he was a Fulmer-coached half away from UT's second NC game in three years. Robthe Vol--still an idiot.

magentatoes10 writes:

Always loved the Iceman....as tough as they come.