More pain, but Lady Vols drop Alabama, 80-61

Shekinna Stricklen has played many roles for Tennessee this season. Spectator has been but a brief undertaking.

But there she was, sitting near the end of the bench during the Lady Vols’ 80-61 SEC women’s basketball victory over Alabama Thursday night, her right knee swaddled in ice.

The freshman guard suffered a subluxation of her right patella with 10 minutes, 39 seconds left in the first half, tumbling to the court and crying in pain after a collision with Crimson Tide guard Tamara Williams. Stricklen didn’t return to the game but did reappear on crutches shortly after halftime.

“We let her watch the second half because we’re not cruel,’’ said Jenny Moshak, the Lady Vols associate athletic director for sports medicine.

Stricklen’s injury necessitated an appearance by Moshak in the postgame interview room.

“The good news is she did not tear her ACL,’’ said Moshak, referring to the anterior cruciate ligament. “… The major ligaments of the knee are fine. Now it’s matter of wait and see. … It’s a matter of how the knee responds.”

Stricklen has missed just one game this season, sitting out a Dec. 18 game at Old Dominion because of illness. Whether she misses Monday’s game against fourth-ranked Duke remains uncertain.

Initially, the injury caused a hush to fall over the crowd of 12,907. After she literally was carried off the court, Stricklen’s departure could’ve cast a pall over UT’s play as well.

The 15th-ranked Lady Vols (18-6, 7-3 SEC) responded in a solid, occasionally unusual manner — at least on offense — against Alabama (12-13, 0-10).

Despite losing their leading scorer, four Lady Vols still scored in double figures, led by Alex Fuller’s 18 points. Angie Bjorklund scored 13. Reserves Sydney Smallbone and Alicia Manning added 11 and 10 respectively.

Without their backup point guard, the Lady Vols recorded a season-high 26 assists. Every Lady Vol contributed at least one to the total. Stricklen managed three assists before going down. The leader, though, was 6-foot-6 redshirt freshman center Kelley Cain, who had five in her first start.

“That’s another threat we have on the inside,’’ Fuller said. “It’s not only her passing, but her ballhandling. She led the break.

The reference was to Cain stealing a pass on the wing shortly before halftime and dribbling up the court. She slipped a pass to Smallbone for a pullup jumper.

Asked what she thought about Cain’s guard-like foray, Fuller’s offered a hearty thumbs-up.

“Do your thing girl,’’ Fuller said.

Along with the assists, Cain had nine points and eight rebounds. Freshman Glory Johnson, in her first game as a reserve, had a team-high 10 rebounds to lead UT’s 51-31 advantage.

“I was pleased with how she responded,’’ UT coach Pat Summitt said of Johnson. “She wanted to come in and compete and help the team out.”

Stricklen’s absence was most evident on defense, where two Crimson Tide guards took their place among the opposition’s constellation of shooting stars.

Dedrea Magee, heretofore a 35.9 percent field goal shooter who was averaging 6.5 points per game, scored a team-high 21 points on 10-for-18 shooting.

“I was kind of open and I just took the shot,’’ she said.

Fellow guard Varisia Raffington added 19 on 8-for-15 shooting.

With the possibility of Stricklen being out against Duke, Tennessee gave its matchup zone defense a lengthy second half workout.

“I was willing to give up a shot or two here or there just to have the experience.’’ Summitt said.

All things considered, Tennessee will be better off when Stricklen relinquishes her spectator role.

“She knows that she’s going to have to rehab hard to get back for Duke and that we need her for Duke,’’ Fuller said.

Notebook: The Lady Vols will wear white uniforms with pink trim Monday, not pink uniforms as originally reported. … Former Powell High standout Caitlin Hollifield has transferred from Alabama to Western Carolina.

huntined#565710 writes:

Get to watch this game at 11.30 here in FLA Have Vandy and FLA on now..Vandy leading.

OldSmokey writes:

Was a good game for the Lady Vols.

givehim6 writes:

Great win lady Vols over the worst ladys team in the SEC. Now lets keep the winning going when Duke comes calling.

monkeytownvol writes:

My son and I are coming all the way from Long Island,NY to see you girls play Duke on Monday so please be ready. Go Vols

dwa7#337691 writes:

early prediction.....upset special

Ut lady Vols 77 IN PINK
Duke Devil Girls 72

in a close one

CTOWNICON writes:

in response to chuck0303#1342365:

Where are those gator haters an Mike from Uconn.
But first let me congratulate the lady vols on a good win tonight. I hope Stricklen recovers from her fall tonight. Lets go an get a win against Duke in the next game. Interlopers you could at least come and congratulate the lady vols on the win since you always come when they lose. Gator haters what happened to Florida tonight. Vandy smashed Florida tonight. The score Vandy 84 and Florida 68. I guess Melanie owns Amanda now. Cant wait until the sec tournament.

tenn32rebel writes:

in response to CTOWNICON:

Where are those gator haters an Mike from Uconn.

CTOWNICON, thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking off the CAPS lock on your keyboard!!!!!!! Now, I can read your fine post!

Keep up the good work!

"rebel"

GO BABY LADY VOLS---OUR FUTURE CHAMPIONS!!!

xvolx writes:

lady vols played with no energy. Fuller was the only player I saw give a good effort. I wouldn't think Summitt is too happy with this effort against a very poor Ala. team.

jr2miles writes:

I coming from Atlanta to see the ladies play Duke, so lets play good and get a lot of rest. I cant wait to see the ladies play. Good win against Bama! Go Vols!!!!!

mad_poly_uct writes:

in response to tenn32rebel:

Keep up the good work!

"rebel"

GO BABY LADY VOLS---OUR FUTURE CHAMPIONS!!!

Amen to that! Wondered if it was a cap lock problem, or lots of angst. I guess I'm an interloper of sorts, so in honor of CTOWNICON, I will gladly say good job LV's! Hope Sticklen's back on the court real soon too. Good luck against Duke.

adimatteo#261830 writes:

For whatever reason this team, these girls are snakebitten this season. They deserve better.
Lets just hope our coaches hang in there, and the girls stay positve, easier said than done in light of the hard work they put in, and so many injuries, obstacles...
No, not the way we saw this season, but we have to stay posititve, and focus on staying together, finish this season as best they can, and look forward to next seasons, and hopefully they will at some point, in the not too distant future, put this rash of bad luck/injuries behind them for good.
hang in there girls, you all deserved better, but this will pass...I cannot even imagine what it is like to work as hard as these kids, and have so many injuries occur.

ladivolfan writes:

Lady Vol Fans DON'T Miss this one!

easleychuck writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

*****Alert****Alert****Alert

KNS Interloper hoping to drive up post totals. Please
Ignore any future dribble.

This has been a Public Service Announcement to help quell the spread of ignorace.

ps11824 writes:

Here we are folks, with the end of another regular basketball season in sight, anticipating the #4 Blue Dukies' arrival to Thompson Boling Arena. Thank goodness for home games. Those little devils are coming to town, dressed all pretty in pink, fresh off a loss to NC with intentions of making last season's 64-67 defeat in Durham a distant memory.

What I wouldn't give for a Bobbitt, a Hornbuckle, an Anosike. Just let me be greedy and crave a big serving of CP3 to top off my virtual buffet. A view from the top whets the appetite, does it not? In reality, however, with a record of 18-6, SEC 7-3, I'm just hoping our star player, Stricklen, can get her sore knee rehabbed and join the remnants of a struggling Lady Vol team headed to battle with a pretty decent Duke contingent.

That we are staring straight into the opening game of the SEC Tournament with only Kentucky, Miss St., LSU and Vandy remaining in the conference schedule, is all to obvious that we need a momentum builder, a streak of conference wins and some angels to keep us afloat.

The comentary, Debbie Antonwhiner, stated in the TV broadcast last night that there was no way Tennessee could be a #2 seed in the NCAA bracket, even if we won the SEC Tournament. Or did she say SEC regular season? Her voice turns me off so much, I block out a lot of her opinions. I'm not that crazy about Bob K's women's bball calls, either.

I am happy we came out with a win over a winless conference foe, Bammer. It was not impressive, save the assist category. The turnovers were few, by our standards thus far, but too many missed 'easy' shots. Our FGA must improve. The fact that we won by 19 with those circumstances should feel better than it does.I will use the term 'feel much better' that Stricklen did not suffer ligament damage.

Let's pray for the safety of our young ladies. We need some healing, especially for Shekinna, and across the roster. Perhaps the spirit of this coming 'Pink-Out' will bring out our better angels in TBA.

in response to ladivolfan:

Lady Vol Fans DON'T Miss this one!

Thanks SO much for that link! I choked up. This is something my wife has to see, too. Gosh, we LV fans are SO lucky....

RockyTop1_old writes:

Get a life loser! If Maya blew her knee out you would be done, I don't wish that on anyone! You need to get a grip on what really matters - character! Oh, I forgot I'm addressing a uCONn fan! GO LADY VOLS!!

ps11824 writes:

Mike—from—wherever, I would never wish you any harm, nor would I wish injury to any athlete, that is most definitely a sin for which I would have to answer to the 'Head Coach of The Big Game.' But I wouldn't mind if a big bundle of humility fell upon you.

You may want to take a close look at the hatred within yourself. Me thinks it goes beyond mere fun and competitive spirit.

I dare say not one of the athletes you claim to support would claim you as a fan.

reachkim00 writes:

GO LADY VOLS!! and my last count was Tennessee 8 national championships.. Uconn 5. Not to mention that we have the winningest coach ever. The bottom line is all that matters Mike_from_whogives a s***_

friendut writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

And another announcement from the nursing home crowed. You need to call for someone to change your diaper.

CTOWNICON writes:

in response to Mike_From_Connecticut:

I said they were no good. Those two players yall lost last year did not affect Uconn lineup. That was just an excuse to excuse why they did not make it to the championship game. We had injured players last year as well but we played through it an won the championship. As of matter of fact superstar Candace Parker was hurt he whole tournament but she played and she was awesome. No excuses need to be made for this years team because for a young team they are doing pretty good, and however far they go this season I will be satisfied. Uconn had the expectations as well as the media of winning a championship last year and failed. They could not even make the championship game to put up any kind of fight. Dont hate the lady vols for their success and doing their jobs last year of getting there and winning. All eyes on Uconn this year once again. Lets see if they can deliver. By the way I see unranked St. John gave yall a run for the money. A 13 point victory over unranked ST. John, Uconn slipping. With all Uconn success of being undefeated I still dont think they will win the championship this year. You will be another sore loser with your tail between your legs.

xvolx writes:

in response to Mike_From_Connecticut:

then; there will be two. you humiliate yourself everytime you post.

in response to adimatteo#261830:

Actually, except for the injuries, this pretty much IS the way most of us thought the season would go. It took a serious dose of excessive optimism to think this team was just going to breeze into another Final Four. I for one salute CPS and the LVs for being as competitive as they have most of the time this year. A few unaccustomed beatings this year should only fuel their desire to get back to the top next season and even to go further in this post-season than talent alone would have taken them. GO CPS!!! GO BABY VOLS!!!

ps11824 writes:

I'm asking all who are decent to lobby for Mike—From to be banned from this forum. The arrogant poster has defamed, been abusive, obscene and has violated the terms of agreement in 99.9% of it's comments.

GVX, please remove all evidence of MFC from our Lady Vols site.

mississippi writes:

in response to ButchIsBack:

Breaking news " Butch is a sick wanna be woman" Get a life loser

mississippi writes:

in response to friendut:

amen. i knew i smelled something

mississippi writes:

in response to Mike_From_Connecticut:

Excuse me but gino the clown is the gay one who you are referring too. he dont have the b**** to coach mens. he hides behind the skirts of women to be successful. the only joke i see is an idiot like yourself who aint man enough to say your trash to Pat facve to face. Matter of fact i wouldn't mind giving you a good ole southern a** whiPPING MYSELF

mississippi writes:

in response to ps11824:

GVX, please remove all evidence of MFC from our Lady Vols site.

PLEASE REMOVE MIKE FRROM UCANT FOREVER ALONG WITH BUTCH PLEASE

mississippi writes:

in response to CTOWNICON:

THOSE 2 PLAYERS WOULD SIT ON OUR BENCH. THEY BOTH ARE AVERAGE . MIKE THEIR IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT EITHER GIRL TO BE HONEST WITH YOU

mississippi writes:

in response to Mike_From_Connecticut:

you definitely are right. we dont want anything OR ANYONE WHO WOULD CHOOSE CLASS OVER a little slimmy snake like gumbo auriemma.Why would anyone choose ucoon as a place to go to school is puzzling to me. mIKE, DIDN'T GINO THE CLOWN RECRUIT MS. BJORKLUND,MS. JOHNSON,MS STRICKLEN,MS SPANI,& MS MANNING. Who's the 2 time defending national champs of women basketball? who got their a** kicked by stanford last year? who choked in the final four? STAY OFF OUR BOARD LOSER

mississippi writes:

in response to Mike_From_Connecticut:

Where is he respected? Definitely not in the south nor in the west or midwest.Well i have to say is that you are an ignorant none informed wet behind the ear lying fan of the ucant team. i actually feel sorry for you because you and butch have no life except to come over to our Lady Vols fan board and harrass us. NO ONE likes that lying cheating slimmy snake gino so dont even try to claim otherwise. we dont care about that dirty little rascal nor do we care about his little squad.The only inbreeds i see are the ones that play for gino.One day, he will be revealed just like so many of these priests around here in America.

LeighAnne writes:

in response to Mike_From_Connecticut:

U are just jealous that Geno will never hit Summit's mark, get off the TN Lady vols site.... Leave baby vols and Tennessee alone..

CTOWNICON writes:

in response to Mike_From_Connecticut:

You are such the devoted wife. You play your role very well. Keep standing by your man while I stand by the queen Pat Summitt. She is such a classy woman. You can slander her name and the state all you want it just shows that you are out of touch with reality.

mississippi writes:

in response to Mike_From_Connecticut:

There is nothing wrong with barbecue. Tell that drag queen hubby(GINO AURIEMMA) of yours to keep you and all of those others ucoon posters to stay on the boneyard