Higgins: More than just a bump for Saban

Just wondering when an SEC football coach is going to turn in Alabama coach Nick Saban on an apparent recruiting violation.

Saban obtained a commitment from Memphis Mitchell receiver Keiwone Malone, a high school junior.

The only problem is that other than a "bump" - which is an accidental "hello, how are ya?"- a coach can't have direct contact with a junior at the time that Saban did (before signing day for seniors on Feb. 4). That's a dead period (no contact) according to NCAA rules.

Judging from the quotes given by Malone to the Commerial Appeal's Jason Smith, there was a face-to-face meeting and a selling job by Saban.

Mitchell High didn't have any seniors that were being recruited by Saban, so his visit wasn't for that purpose.

And it had to be more than a bump. When's the last time you heard a kid receive a scholarship offer and commit on a bump?

The SEC office had no comment on the matter, other than to explain the bump rule. This wasn't a bump by the Sabanator. This was full-contact recruiting.

utchris writes:

That is a little more serious that a fog machine

TommyJack writes:

I'm sure it is just a misunderstanding. Bwahahahahaha

Seahawk writes:

And the rest of the story...

Keiwone Malone's high school coach on Nick Saban: "He did it the right way"

annemarie writes:

Also more serious than "simulating a game day experience" with a mock press conference.

OrangeronFan writes:

So when all these Bama fans have been talking about Saban getting the program back to where it should be they were talking about probation?

volwalk writes:

wow, seems alot more serious than the fog machine or mock press conference. I guess the 5 million dollar coach needs to read his NCAA recruiting manual.

CoastGuardVol writes:

HMMMM. I am am sure that since it is a three day weekend then we will here about this on Tuesday, right?? HA! HA! No worries, GO VOLS!!!

SEAL_9821 writes:

Wonder why ESPN and the national media isn't posting this article. This is a prime example of how the media is so biased against Tennessee football. This is a little more serious than a smoke screen and mock press conference I think. Absolutely makes me sick.

utchris writes:

Here is the article

I would take the full account of the kid not the half part of the article and the coach who is trying to cover the tracks on the Alabama blog spot.

VOLorado writes:

who was doing bumps? satan?

DennisVols writes:

Sounds like it is time for the NCAA to start looking at the Bama program again. Since Fulmer is no longer here who will they blame for selling them out this time.
Maybe than can say it was cryer meyer since he seems to like to whine about everything.

annemarie writes:

in response to utchris:

Here is the article

"And when he started talking to me, I started liking the stuff that he was saying."

Makes you wonder what stuff he was saying that made him commit, just from a "bump".

tnbigg writes:

Fulmer and his secretary are on their way to investigate and report to the NCAA. For the moment his Kiffin NCAA porfolio report must temporarily be put on hold til' he and she get back from their big Bammer investigation...

volwalk writes:

in response to utchris:

Here is the article

Sounds like Saban was putting the hard close on this kid during a time when he isn't allowed to talk to underclassmen....gosh Saban, you are an idiot..read your manual. looks like the death penalty for the red turds.

bleuvol writes:

in response to Seahawk:

And the rest of the story...

Keiwone Malone's high school coach on Nick Saban: "He did it the right way"

It's obvious that the coach is trying to do a scripted clean-up job, and Malone's comments a week ago are much more believable. The kid didn't realize there was anything wrong with the interaction and was much more casual in his recount of the talk they had. I'm sure the Tidey-Whineys are squirming a bit down south.

annemarie writes:

in response to annemarie:

What am I thinking? Of course it was because of the fact that Satan is short & had on a Dolphins cap.

ctownvol writes:

Uh oh. Care to discuss bama90210?

huntined#565710 writes:

Bama sights are blaming this on Kiffin!! I Guess because the WRITER about this is from Tenn. Malone's high school coach said everything was done legal,,

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Uh oh. Care to discuss bama90210?

FBI can't find him either.

PepperGrinder (Inactive) writes:

I wonder how long till this shows up on rivals. Should shut up some of the Kiffin bashers.

ctownvol writes:

in response to Down_The_Field:

FBI can't find him either.

You don't say? It's a mystery huh?

ctownvol writes:

...And he's the recruit from Memphis ol' 987 was bragging about stealing from UT? Wow! And to think Satan had to cheat to get him! I imagine he had to since we proclaimed to "own" Memphis! Bama!? What a bunch of cheaters!!!!!!!!!

ctownvol writes:

Saban is a liar and a cheat! Be proud 90210! You bash Kiffin and say Saban speaks with actions by "stealing" a recruit out of Memphis after we claim we're going to own that town? You and Alabama are a joke! Go ahead and take the moral high-ground now! Bama?! Give me a break! What a bunch of scum-bag losers!

dcrabtree813 writes:

in response to SEAL_9821:

i totally agree with u brother,i bet they wont talk about it on pti or around the horn either like they did kiffin

Irwin_Linker writes:

I would really like for UT to be the school to turn them in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7G7lo...

Down_The_Field writes:

i'm surprised that someone else is cheating. according to the lopers, UT and CLK are the only school that's being reckless.

wow, i'm so shocked, i'll go take my heart meds.

ctownvol writes:

Hahahahahahahahahaahah!

Kiffin_fan writes:

Lol this is normal... Richt had 17 secondaries last year... Kiff's are big news because of his newness.... and everyone's fear.... Fear UT.... More to come...

Kiffin_fan writes:

UNIVERSITY OF FREAKIN TENNESSEE gotta love it....

senracjr writes:

Remember Albert Means? He was the one that got Bama in trouble before.Guess where he was from? Good ole Memphis!

TommyJack writes:

in response to tnbigg:

Coach Philip Fulmer denied any involvement in AL saga. Fulmer states he's "too busy preparing lawsuit against TNBiggie for trademark infringement re the Tickle me Fulmo project"
More as this story unfolds.

Voluvr writes:

We are seeing two things here:

1 Saban is feeling Orange pressure.

2 Same old Bamer.

senracjr writes:

I wonder how much money Nathan Cole is getting out of this?

senracjr writes:

Someone needs to find out if Nathan Cole is a Bama fan.

10volunteers98 writes:

As long as Saban didn`t use a smoke machine,or call Malone by name.he should be alright.Or,did he say that Malone is a "good athlete"?Can`t wait to see what the SEC
officials have to say about this one.

mhillvol#275693 writes:

Truth be known they probably did just bump into each other. And when they did Saban put a few $100 bills in his pocket!

TommyJack writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

Coach Philip Fulmer reportedly personally testing finished product of several donut making designs.
Fulmer's secretary is quoted as saying "the coach is gaining weight on the project, but quality is dad-blame important".
Developing story..

huntined#565710 writes:

in response to PepperGrinder:

You can ask Rivals as they are in Tenn..615-507-1000

Voluvr writes:

Bama fans were too stupid to realize that it was Spurrier that sent the letter of their numerous infractions to the NCAA. But, since bama had a record of 3-8 vs. Fulmer...
duh duh duh let's blame Fulmer.

This is how Alabama is. Their Alumni and boosters think they're above the law and their coach feels so much pressure, especially from the new sheriff in town that they are willing to cheat.

Pretty soon no one will want to sign with a program that is going to be on probation.

I'm proud to be supporter of a program like Tennessee that has a winning tradition based on integrity.

sidwalkvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

More as this story unfolds.

I rarely laugh out loud reading this stuff, but Lord this is funny! Tickle me Fulmo? Man.

Voluvr writes:

In an unrelated story, an anonymous donor $100,000 to the players high school coach to pay his house off and another donor bought the coach an Escalade.

All of these RECRUITS will now have second thoughts of signing with a program that will likely be on probation and ineligible to play in a bowl game or the SEC Championship.

hotrodvol writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Ctown hit it on the head. saBUM wanted to show Thompson up so bad about owning Memphis, that he broke the rules to get the guys commitment.

Haha, got to love it!!!

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

This is shocking. Alabama cheat?? And, of all places, in Memphis?? This can't be true.

TommyJack writes:

in response to sidwalkvol:

I'll have to credit TNBigg with the Tickle me Fulmo doll idea. Sounds marketable.

Voluvr writes:

ATTENTION HIGH SCHOOL JUNIORS AND 2009 HOLD OUTS!!!

Check your local papers archives and you will find Alabama has recently been on probation ineligible to play in bowl games. That means NO PRO SPOTLIGHT FOR YOU.

Now it's started again. Choose your school carefully.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

No wonder Saban hasn't had much to say about UT's secondary violations.

yeavols#228407 writes:

Holy SMOKES (ya right)...You mean this is worse than holding a mock press conference or telling a prospect that he is a great player on the radio..or even simulating a fog machine? WOW..who would have thought that this could be a violation that isn't reported? SOMEONE GET THE SMELLING SALTS!!..rrr..uhh..is that a violation, too?

NorthwestVol writes:

in response to Voluvr:

duh duh duh let's blame Fulmer.

I admire your faith, but I'd go easy on the high road for a bit until we see how this new group shakes out. They sure have my interest, and I'm looking forward to fall, but I'm not quite ready to recommend them for sainthood.

invisiblekid writes:

in response to sidwalkvol:

The best way to take GVX is as one big joke. It's more fun that way. Tickle me Fulmo is an instant classic though.

yeavols#228407 writes:

ANyone want to guess how long it will be before Alabubba is back on probation and Florida to follow? You know it's coming..