No hints, but Brown gushes about UT

Bryce Brown spoke publicly on Tuesday for the first time about his official visit to Tennessee last week.

"The players and the coaches are fired up down there," Brown told potentialplayers.com. "I could tell that they are working hard to battle for the SEC title."

Brown, a standout tailback from Wichita (Kan.) East High School, is considered one of the top prospects in the nation.

Through the start-up Web site run by a family acquaintance, Brown shared his thoughts on offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Jim Chaney.

"We talked about how they are going to block different run plays," Brown said. "We also talked about the impact that Coach (Lane) Kiffin had with the Oakland Raiders over the past couple of years, as well as his (Chaney's) NFL experience with the St. Louis Rams."

Brown said he also was impressed with UT's offensive linemen and their work ethic.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder spoke glowingly of Kiffin.

"You can feel the passion that he has to make UT champions again," Brown said. "He already has proven that he is one of the best offensive minds in football. Coach Kiffin made a big impression on me."

Brown said he also was impressed with Kiffin's father, UT defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

"Coach Monte Kiffin is high energy and hilarious. You can see why he's been so successful over the years with the Buccaneers," Brown said. "He really made me feel at home and I enjoyed him. For him to come to Tennessee and support his son in this way shows me a lot about him and Tennessee's commitment to winning."

Brown, who has been committed to Miami since last February, is planning to announce his college decision on March 16 at the Kansas Hall of Fame in Wichita. He also is considering Oregon, Southern Cal and LSU.

Miami has fallen from Brown's favor following an offensive coaching change. The Hurricanes, however, could still be in contention. Brown's brother, linebacker Arthur Brown, signed with Miami in 2008.

Brown has said Oregon leads for his services. Many close to his recruitment believe that is still the case.

Oregon's relationship with Nike, a major corporate booster, could prove to be a factor in Brown's decision.

Could all that change thanks to his favorable trip to Knoxville? Brown seemed to think so when talking to a Kansas television station about his visit to UT.

"I had a great visit," Brown told KAKE. "I had the chance to meet with Coach (Lane) Kiffin and had a lot of one-on-one time with him.

"I had a chance to basically go over the offense and see how they would use me."

Brown has declined interview requests with most media outside of Kansas, including the News Sentinel.

UT also is awaiting word on another top-rated tailback: David Oku from Carl Albert High in Midwest City, Okla.

Oku told the News Sentinel on Monday that he is not close to announcing his decision and that he may add Ole Miss to a list of schools that includes UT, Auburn and Syracuse.

UT also is in the running for two other unsigned prospects.

Defensive tackle Kwame Geathers from Carver's Bay (S.C.) High is close to announcing his decision.

"I'll probably do it Friday," Geathers told TotalUGA.com.

Most thought Geathers was leaning towards signing with UT when he visited Knoxville last week. As the visit passed with no signing, that hypothesis is under review.

Geathers is also considering Georgia and Central Florida.

Tight end Orson Charles from Plant High in Tampa, Fla., said he plans to announce his college decision following his official visit to Southern California on Feb. 20. He is considering Georgia and Florida.

Charles told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he hopes to sign his scholarship papers by March 6.

Many involved in Charles' recruitment believe he'll end up at USC and that UT is a long shot.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Links

holleyab writes:

Seriouslyorange writes:

dvhill100 writes:

We can use him.

holleyab writes:

haha. yeah i totally win, i really hope he turns out a vol. He seems like the kind of player that could turn our offense around

belayvol writes:

Rivals reports that if Brown does not sign with them by the 5th, they probably will not reoffer.

dvhill100 writes:

Whatever else you may say about the PR gaffes LK has or has not made according to your opinion or school, he has certainly hired a killer staff. The way the number one RB in the nation talked about his visit is great stuff.

Go LK and staff. Keep reeling them in.

belayvol writes:

I meant to say Miami is not going to reoffer according to them.

yeavols#228407 writes:

uhh..ok for the FIRST 3 dunderheads...I bet you had to be reminded to stop talking and pay attention when you were in school..(lol)..Now for the serious part, hurry and sign..others are waiting to see what you are going to do. If you choose Oregon, that's fine. Good luck no matter where you go and no hard feelings. P.S. I just can't belive you arn't going to sign with FLORIDA since they are the new team that just can't be beat in anything.

smokyredbone writes:

in response to holleyab:

Dumb!!!!

CoverOrange writes:

He's going to base his college choice factoring in the shoe company? Weird.

smokyredbone writes:

in response to supersmo18:

Dumber!!!!!!

smokyredbone writes:

in response to Seriouslyorange:

complete idiot!!!!

holleyab writes:

in response to smokyredbone:

Dumb!!!!

saw the opportunity and took it

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

first!!! oops, make that 19th. close.

belayvol writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Sorry, computer issues today. I knocked my laptop off the table and broke the Any Key. That's the key that keeps 97% of bama residents from using a computer as they cannot locate it.

golfballs03 writes:

Well, after LeGarrett Blount got suspended I would have said that Brown would definitely be headed to Eugene, but it looks like Blount was punished for missing some workouts. He'll be back, but it's still a favorable situation for Brown. Like I've said before, I think it will come down to Oregon and Tennessee. I have a feeling that we might be able to pull it out though...

lomas98 writes:

Why would Oregons relationship with Nike mean anything to him? Is he already getting paid by Nike? Recruiting is a silly game that a kid plays and a lot of people have no clue what his decision is based on. I once heard a college baskeball coach say a kid told him he wants to come to school there, but they have retired the number the kid wants. I can't remember the school but it was a pretty big name player and he may have even been deceased. I guess if a kid will turn down a school because of the number he wants to wear, he will go to one that wears Nike apparel?

golfballs03 writes:

Blount and Jeremiah Johnson both rushed for 1,000 yards. Now that Johnson is gone, I'm sure Brown thinks he can go it and take his place. For someone who is probably looking to spend as little time in college as possible, it's hard to turn down a situation like that... especially if it takes a couple years for Kiffin to have an offense like he wants.

yeavols#228407 writes:

" I haven't been this excited since we hired Kiffin." and since we got Nu'Keese Richardson and Marsalis Teague. hey has anyone seen our interloping buddy? LOL

golfballs03 writes:

in response to lomas98:

Brown wants good connections with Nike so that when he goes pro he can get a lush endorsement deal...

Triton1 writes:

in response to holleyab:

saw the opportunity and took it

idiot

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to CLEMSONVOL716:

Most likely in surgery for carpel tunnel..typing too much on the keyboard..

madvillevol writes:

Is it just me or did this article say that Geathers is now only considering Georgia and Central Florida?? Hopefully I misread that part.

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

LOL thanks..i added this comment to the other thread on the Florida player in surgery. I thought it went "hand in hand"

Voluvr writes:

You know, I hear that, "Tennessee fans haven't been this excited since we hired Clawson," drawing a comparison to Kiffin and staff to Clawson and saying, don't get your hopes up. Two completely different things. Does this need explanation?

Fact is, I haven't ever seen Tennessee fans this excited about football. The only short lived high was when Peyton announced he was coming back for this senior year. Then, quickly it was back to business.

cainclifton23 writes:

We really need to drop adidas.

Nike Looks 40 times better and considering the last like 8 national champs have been nike... hmmm?

elizabethtonvol72 writes:

Lets just play some freakin football already!!!

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

Here's a link to a pretty good article from the AJC. Alot of good articles about UT coming from them lately.

RockyTop writes:

in response to holleyab:

What did you win for being first?..................Yeah, that's what I thought....You must be very proud.

ivyvol writes:

One reason Bryce Brown might sign with Oregon is because he and his handler believe that they will make more endorsement money with Nike as a result of the Oregon connection through Phil Knight than they would coming out of any other school. This assumes, of course, that he has a successful college career, gets drafted and does well in the NFL.

golfballs03 writes:

90% of the comments on this board are completely pointless. Instead of having to sift through a bunch of squabble, can't you people keep the inane comments to a minimum?

utkedu writes:

I believe the article neglected to mention he is taking an unofficial to LSU and an official to Miami and K-State still thinks they have a shot. No one knows where he will end up, but the positive comments are good to hear.

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to golfballs03:

I just want to say one thing: Thanks for commenting and joining the crowd..=)

ChattVol2485 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

He's going to base his college choice factoring in the shoe company? Weird.

I was thinking the same exact thing. What the heck does Nike have anything to do with recruitment? Maybe he's looking to sign a shoe deal right out of college. I really don't understand why that would be relevant to the story or to his recruitment.

Can someone please explain this to me?

bobbytodd writes:

So Kif had a violation for saying Brown was a "good player" but no red flags pop up when Brown's decision is being swayed by a Nike alumni. There is no way the Oregon coaches would have mentioned how easy it would be him to get a contract with Nike once he went pro....and I'm sure Nike would never do anything wrong (like use children to make shoes for pennies on the dollar in 3rd world countries)?

utchris writes:

Uh-oh...why is the negative Gator news not making headlines on here?

MANVOL writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

He's going to base his college choice factoring in the shoe company? Weird.

I have a pair of orange & white Chuck Taylors I'll give'em.

mike_d writes:

Once again...ive got that "fishy" feeling about this deal. Feel like im playing cards with my brothers kids!

99gator writes:

i still don't think you want brown for reasons outside of his playing ability.

the whole "considering oregon because of nike" thing is absolutely stupid.

pick a school because that's where you want to go.

but, hey different strokes for different folks

PepperGrinder (Inactive) writes:

Miami will not reissue a scholarship offer to Bryce Brown.

Go4Two writes:

Mike Leach just turned down a contract ext. could be released from Texas Tech. ESPN just ran the story

bluetick writes:

in response to supersmo18:

It's not like you win anything idiot.

JohnsonCity_George writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

He's going to base his college choice factoring in the shoe company? Weird.

No kidding...It has come down to Nike vs. Adidas. Those shoe guys can't help recruit can they?

BigOrangeCrazy writes:

Come on, let's not get to far ahead of ourselves. All the article says is, "Oregon's relationship with Nike... COULD prove to be a factor in Brown's decision." We all know how Hooker likes to come up with unbased opinions just to stir things up. If Nike was really a factor in recruits decisions wouldn't Oregon be more then a second class team in a second class conference?

gnm53108 writes:

in response to Go4Two:

He might be thinkin about changing sports.

Pittsburgh Pirates?

orangevolz writes:

in response to utchris:

Uh-oh...why is the negative Gator news not making headlines on here?

Well...at least 3 of those players were kicked off the team.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to belayvol:

Is that the key with three prongs and a cord attached?

gnm53108 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Went to bama?

I hope you got a get out of he11 free card.

gnm53108 writes:

in response to madvillevol:

With ya.

Out of the big'ens that are left I would most like ta catch Geathers.

Reel em in Coach kiffin..er Kiffins.

Just for you ut4life.