Montana says he won't wait around on Vols

QB wants recruiting process finished by end of summer

Nick Montana is patiently waiting on Tennessee - for now.

"I'm not going to wait around for them," the highly touted quarterback from Oaks Christian Academy in Westlake Village, Calif., said Thursday. "I'm going to visit a couple of other schools and if I feel one's the best fit, I'm done."

Montana, son of NFL Hall of Famer Joe Montana, isn't trying to give UT an ultimatum, but he would like to get the process over with and he hopes the Vols make him an offer.

"They're definitely still in it," the 6-foot-2, 180-pounder said. "I'm not going to wait around, but there would definitely be a lot of interest (if UT offered)."

Montana is wondering if UT's interest might have cooled.

"I'm not too sure," he said. "I've been talking to (quarterbacks) coach (David) Reaves and coach (Jim) Chaney. I'm not too sure what's going on. I guess I'll just see what happens.

"We're just kind of talking right now. They said they like me and they're going to come out during spring ball to see me. But who knows? I might have my decision made by then."

Montana's goal is simple. He wants to make his decision so he can focus on his senior season.

"I'm trying to get my decision out as soon as possible, definitely before my senior year and I'm pushing for within a couple of months," Montana said. "I'm looking for the best fit right now."

Montana already has offers from Georgia, LSU, South Carolina, Alabama, Stanford, Maryland, Arizona, Nebraska and Ohio State. He's waiting on UT, Southern California and UCLA.

He has taken unofficial visits to UT, Oregon, UCLA, Southern Cal, Ohio State and Texas.

He traveled to Knoxville at coach Lane Kiffin's behest and was impressed.

"Coach Kiffin wanted me to take a visit out there so I did," Montana said. "It was a cool place. It's in the SEC. The fan base is ridiculous. It was a good experience."

Montana is busy scheduling more visits this spring. He'll visit Southern Cal once again on Saturday for its junior day. As of now, there is no leader nor top group of schools leading for his services.

"I'm getting a better feel for some of the schools and some of the schools I'm more interested in," Montana said. "I just want to make sure I evaluate everything that's out there."

Montana is an interesting prospect in that he's more athletic than an average pro-style quarterback. A track star, Montana could be a dual-threat quarterback but he would like to play in a pro-style offense if possible.

However, Texas and Ohio State, which run versions of the spread offense, are also possibilities.

Montana has plenty of advisers to help him through the recruiting process. First, there's his father.

"It's really amazing to have him helping me after practice or the next day after a game," he said. "We can throw in the film, and he'll tell me what he likes and just help me through it all."

Montana's high school quarterback coach, former UT quarterback Casey Clausen, can also provide some assistance.

"I have to make the best decision for me," Montana said, recalling some of Clausen's advice, "and don't feel like you owe some of these colleges something."

If UT doesn't land Montana, there's a good chance that the Vols will be playing him. With a handful of SEC offers and an affinity for the conference, it's possible that Montana could be headed east.

"I think there is a strong draw for almost anybody (to play in the SEC)," Montana said. "Football is everything out there, so it's a pretty special place on game day. "

UT is thought to have offered a handful of quarterbacks, including Jake Heaps from Skyline High School in Sammamish, Wash.

Camping: UT will host a junior camp on Saturday. Several of the top prospects in the region are scheduled to attend.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Snakebrown13 writes:

What are we waiting for?

utkjoe29 writes:

Make the offer already...if we are locked in on Heaps that's great. But we are definitely in the market for a top rated QB and a Montana might be a good place to start!

sfrye#268517 writes:

We need this young man to get the 2010 class off and running. Let's go CLK, make Montana come to Tennessee.

byobbio writes:

Maybe he doesn't fit the system. Does anybody?

jimmy71#237592 writes:

I don't know what his vitals are...rifle arm, mobility etc, but if anyone should be expected to kick a__ on the "intangibles=leadership/composure/intellect/decisionmaking", it would have to be this kid

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

Um....Can we just make an offer...I mean come on for the love of God whats the deal here?

We want this guy!

AND...I sure don't want to see us have to play against him.

Come on, offer already UT!

ICARRIEDGOALPOST writes:

kiffin wanted him to come all the way to knoxville, and then he's holding off on the offer, that would piss me off too. i think he's good enough to offer, it's not like we have too much talent at the qb position. what's the hold up.

RJ_Vol writes:

GET MONTANA!!!!!!!!!!!!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

I'll defer to Kiffin on this, either way.

Knows what we don't.

volzcrushm writes:

CLK knows when you get a big name commitment, a lot of the other top notch players come on board. I really feel getting montana would jump start the whole process so.... GO VOLS! GET MONTANA!! (even if someone else can beats him out later, he would still be a very nice draw!)

Ralph_Crampton writes:

A possibility of a lot of publicity...for the Vols..that you can never buy...if Montana is agreeable to fight it out for QB job. Of course Kiffin is aware of this possibility

teedub writes:

have you guys already forgotten the Simms/Dorsey debacle? Let Kiff do his thing!

bobbytodd writes:

Wow. A year until the deadline and players are getting impatient with us. Give him an offer. We need more than one because of injuries and the chance one will change their mind in late this year or early next year.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to VolunteerFear:

Like he said, he isn't going to sit around waiting on UT to get off the pot, and who can blame him? I can't figure out what the big holdup is as far as offering him. I mean, it's not like we have a whole slew of top rated quarterbacks beating our door down for Pete's sake. If he's as athletically gifted as he's made out to be, and I have no reason to doubt that he is, I don't understand why Kiffin doesn't go ahead and pull the trigger. We still may not get him, but at least we'll stay in the mix.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

jcherrie#219531 (Inactive) writes:

I think he's concentrating on Heaps -- but don't lose this kid!

FWBVol writes:

Does anybody besides me see some of the irony here? On the one hand we are waiting for Brown and Oku to make a decision for 2009 and on the other hand we have Montana anxious to get an offer for 2010.

It's funny when you think about it.

I do think it would be in our best interest to offer Montana.

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

I'll defer to Kiffin on this, either way.

Knows what we don't.

Exactly.

Heaps is #1 probably for Kiffin. Obviously he is intersted in Montana, but Heaps already has us in his top 10 after narrowing down his list and wants to make his decision asap as well so he can focus on his senior year and help recruit for his college choice (his words on scout.com)

If we get either guy, we'll be in great shape, IMO.

Heaps appears a bit more polished and ready to step in from what I have read and seen on the videos online, heck, hasn't lost a game as a starter.

77vols writes:

Payton Manning didn't have a real famous dad, and who gave him a chance? FULLMER!

beatlecakes writes:

Sometimes the things that you don't have are the things that you want the most. If young Montanta wants to be a Vol, the desire will only grow until he has conquered the offer. If this was poker it is still too early to show your hand. If we want him we have time to make an offer...if not we will have someone more talented to build around. I am not saying he is the wrong pick but I don't think this is the showdown hand either...National Champs in 2011!

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to 77vols:

Ok, first of all it is Peyton, not Payton.

Second, his dad is an Ole Miss legend (hence the speed limit there is the same as his jersey number, which luckily wasn't #1) And, though he played for a bad saints team, he is famous enough.

Oh, and you misspelled Fulmer.

Other than that, great post!

MrBamSeydu writes:

Just because his last name is Montana, doesn't mean we should offer him. Kiffin and his coaching all-stars know what they're doing, trust me!

Timed_vol (Inactive) writes:

WTH do you guys know?? If they haven't offered him, there is a reason.

Just cause his name is Montana does not mean he is as good as his dad. Anybody remember Chris Sims?? Never as good as Phil Sims. We just HAD to have him...only, we didn't.

It's cool if we sigh him and he's good, but OTOH you don't want to wasste a scholarship if he is not really what you want.

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to gatorzz:

Ah, yes, recruiting Joe Montanas son is CRAZY! AND CLUELESS!

...FYI...

Get him having a desire to see the offer, then offer him, versus throwing out a scholarship offer like you'll take anyone who can throw a football and appear to be offering any QB with more than one leg....no, he has already pointed out how important and special that position is, and if you are offered to play QB for him, you are a very special prospect, I think he is doing exactly what he has planned, after all he picked up some pretty good ones out at USC, so I think he knows a thing or two. (Yes, Pete Carroll even said he was in charge of recruiting 'the other 49 states' so it isn't something I am just making up)

Anyway, the #1 target is Heaps, who has thrown for almost 80 TDs in two years and a 68(ish, might be 67 or something) completion rate, undefeated as a starter, ready to hit the ground running versus Montana who has TONS of potential, but just transferred from a school that passed like 8-10 times a game so he is just now coming around as a pocket passing QB. Both will be great most likely, but they know what they're doing in the recruiting....far from clueless my reptile worshipping friend.

beachvol1 writes:

Don't put all your eggs in one basket coach K.....better get this kid if he has any interest in the program and you have interest in him....don't waste his time but in the same aspect, be sure he fits your system....I think he could be a pretty good catch....Heaps is doubtfully going to trek the far east...

WestTennVol writes:

Just watched his footage...give him the offer...with 25 pounds of muscle on him this kid will be a stud

jamesarobertson#633301 writes:

If Kiffin and his staff are such hot recruiter, how come we have lost another huge lineman to Georgia? He had bettter find some lineman or we will be on the bottom of the conference. One thing is sure, with the weakness in the offensive line and if Montana is as mobil as they say, why are we delaying in offering him a scholarship? don't give me the baloney that "he doesn't fit my system!"

TN1953

mdavis332#560634 writes:

Don't you know by now? Nobody tells CLK what to do. He has taken the inner sole out of Tenn. and everyone loves it. He will not make Montana an offer because there is always someone better and that someone better will end up a GA, FLA, USC but we are all excited because they considered TN.
To hear folks say he knows what he is doing....I say how do you know since there is absolutly no proven track record as a head coach. Help!

dvols writes:

had enough of california

utmdm writes:

in response to VolunteerFear:

Sortof has that ring, huh? I think Kiff can sort it out.

rubbervol writes:

Lets get Montana in orange !

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to HBKGault:

And as Lane Kiffin read this and saw the possible rift in his friendship with HBKGault, he was on the phone in seconds with Nick.

Just messin'.

Hey, he couldn't go wrong going ahead and offering, but if both stay healthy, I bet both Heaps and Montana will have NFL careers, I would be happy with either one, but I am not the one paid for the experience and knowledge of the game and coaching, so I will have to go with what Kiffin sees best.

1manningfan writes:

in response to 77vols:

My suggestion to you sir is to shut your pie hole, your making yourself sound really dumb.

vtvol#210290 writes:

in response to beatlecakes:

I agree. Let Heaps make his decision first if he makes it early. Kiffin can still offer Montana later. I've read some posts by some west coast fb fans who question the competition that Montana has faced. They said that the HS Montana attended was for the kids of celebs which played in the Beverly Hills 90210 league. They said Montana transferred from Mater Dei (one of the best national HS programs) because he couldn't beat the competition there. Do we want another 4* QB who has faced 2A schools like Crompton?

golfballs03 writes:

Get Heaps! I am 100% confident in the recruiting ability of our coaching staff. If they haven't offered him, it is for good reason. They must be really optimistic with Heaps.

utmdm writes:

February 26, 2009 3:39 PM

Heaps update from ESPN --- visiting UW tonight

Posted by Bob Condotta

There have been a lot of rumors flying around that Jake Heaps may be at the UW basketball game tonight, taking yet another unofficial visit to Washington.

ESPN.com recruiting analyst Greg Biggins confirmed all of it in his blog today.

It's an Insider item so you may not be able to access it, so I'll summarize it a bit. (Actually, looks like it's a freebie so the link should work).

Heaps said he not only planned to be at UW tonight but again on Saturday and that "hopefully they will clinch the Pac-10 this weekend, that would be awesome.''

He also said he visited Cal last Friday and then Tennessee over the weekend that he plans to visit BYU one more time, noting that his sister lives in Provo.

As for a timetable for a decision, he said: "After that (the visit to BYU) I'm still trying to see if I want to narrow my list down to five, or narrow it to two or just commit to a school. My best-case scenario would be to commit before the summer is here. If I can't, I would like to commit during the summer. But I'm not going to rush into this. Just whenever I feel the school is right for me I'll go ahead and make my decision.''

He also talked quite a bit about his visits to Cal and Tennessee. He said of Cal that "I love coach (Jeff) Tedford, there really is no one else like him. He's a great quarterbacks coach and knows how to develop quarterbacks'' though he pointed out that the assistant recruiting him, Frank Cignetti, just left for Pitt.

Of Tennessee he said that "the environment and family atmosphere at Tennessee was incredible'' and that "I really got along well with coach (Lane) Kiffin. We really connected and he's a great teacher of the game.''

So sounds like there may be some definite competition for Heaps, and interesting to see Kiffin's involvement in a player who is a big priority for Steve Sarkisian --- the two are good friends after their years together at USC.

SEAL_9821 writes:

Kiffin hasn't offered him because they (Tennessee) was wanting to evaluate him more during the Summer camp in June to see how he would measure up on the field. There's no doubt he's an athlete but the staff also have other gun slingers lined up as well. The plan was to have all the QB recruits at the summer camp and run them thru vigorous drills to better get a feel of how they handle our system. Don't get discouraged Vol fans. He knows what he's doing.

NorthwestVol writes:

Lots of confidence on this string for Kiffin and staff. Hope it turns out to be justified.

I'm excited for next season, but maybe not quite so confident that Coach knows all......

BSweet writes:

My only concern with Heaps, and I've seen others mention it on here before, is the mission his faith requires he take. Mapu came to UT a beast, and returned from his mission trip a kitten. It seems dangerous, especially considering he's a qb, to have this kid come in and risk him digressing on his mission trip. We need a qb to LEAD this team. Maybe it's just me, but it's hard to imagine him as that leader when he has to take two years off during his time here. I don't know. For the record, before anyone screams I'm biased against Mormons, I'm not. This isn't about his faith per se, but about how his faith might impact his football. What's the opinion of others on how it may affect his college football career?

andy112382#209793 writes:

The things that really impressed me with Heaps was his study habbits reminds me of Peyton Mannings, he said he was looking at both sides of the ball where he was going, knowing that the defense plays a part in how the offense goes about things (time on the field, etc) and the RB the school has, all of the aspects basically....his HS coach said he would be at camps every weekend if he could. Interesting race shaping up with him, we are the only school east of the rocky mountains he has visited so far, we have the 'SEC is the best it gets' card in our hand, so that has to be worth SOMETHING in his recruitment....be sweet if we could swipe Orson Charles and Bryce Brown in, then we could say 'here is your RB and a great target'.

TommyJack writes:

Tj says sca roo him

xvolx writes:

ala., fla., lsu., ga. getting all the talent. Tenn. glory days may be over.

smashmouth98 writes:

in response to BSweet:

I don't think he is required to take his mission trip. It is up to him if he wants to go on it. I read something saying that he was not planning to take the trip!!!

Orange Swarm, REEL THEM IN!!!

smashmouth98 writes:

Go ahead and offer Montana, SERIOUSLY!!!

You gotta protect your self, before you wreck yourself!!

andy112382#209793 writes:

in response to xvolx:

ala., fla., lsu., ga. getting all the talent. Tenn. glory days may be over.

What the???

Forget to take your zoloft today?

miamiVOL writes:

in response to xvolx:

ala., fla., lsu., ga. getting all the talent. Tenn. glory days may be over.

yes, 4 schools are getting all the talent in the entire nation, despite the fact that high school football is at an all-time high in talent, participation, recruiting, and camps

r-o-f-l

AllVol1 writes:

If we get Heaps, then it is because he can come in and usurp Coleman, who by then will be in position to take over. Heaps is a two-year, maybe even just a one-year fix. We all know how the two years off can deter the momentum of an athlete's career (Mapu, e.g.). Just so, that would be a window of opportunity for the next QB stud on Kiffen's list of recruits. Maybe Heaps still goes pro, but in his absence, another pro-to-be will climb aboard the orange train. By then, Kiffen and Co. will be in full recruiting steam and the pro-style O and the Tampa 2 D will be the loathesome dread of all our foes. Go Vols!

utvols420 writes:

no steve hamer?

chrisw2967 writes:

Montana was the best QB at this festival and heaps was there also.here is the link.

chrisw2967 writes:

after reaing it again maybe heaps wasnt there but anyays enjoy the link

chrisw2967 writes: