Monte Kiffin, Orgeron introduced at UT

University of Tennessee head football coach Lane Kiffin answers questions after introducing new additions to his staff on Friday.

Photo by Chad Greene

Lane Kiffin introduces Ed Orgeron

Video

UT's new assistant head coach, Ed Orgeron, takes questions from the media.

UT's new assistant head coach, Ed Orgeron, takes questions from the media. Watch »

UT coach Lane Kiffin spent Friday morning introducing two of UT’s newest assistant coaches.

"This took a long time to get done," said Kiffin before introducing his father, longtime NFL defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, as the Vols’ new defensive coordinator and former Ole Miss coach Ed Orgeron as the Vols’ assistant head coach, recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach. "The two guys we’re going to introduce today are the best in the world at what they do."

"How do you like my orange tie," joked Monte Kiffin during a press conference in the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center.

The elder Kiffin, 68, showed the enthusiasm that has been a part of his success with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for more than a decade.

He cast aside any problems he might have adapting either to college offensive schemes or recruiting, and joked about working for his son.

Monte Kiffin was introduced as the new University of Tennessee football defensive coordinator Friday.

Photo by Chad Greene

Lane Kiffin introduces Monte Kiffin

Video

Monte Kiffin, the new defensive coordinator for the Vols, takes questions from the media. Watch »

"There are times when I’ll have to say, ‘Hey, remember who is Dad here,’ " Kiffin joked, then quickly added, "No, just kidding."

Kiffin said he will be a "walk-around coordinator" and not coach any specific position. With Orgeron’s hire, the Vols have vacancies for a linebackers and secondary coach.

Orgeron brings a reputation as one of the nation’s best — and most dogged — recruiters, as well as developer of talent on the defensive line.

Despite being wooed by LSU and the New Orleans Saints, where Orgeron coached defensive line in 2008, a late visit from Monte and Lane Kiffin led Orgeron to UT.

"I was really leaning towards coming to Tennessee the whole time, but when him and Monte showed up at my door, it just sewed the whole thing up," Orgeron said. "It just goes to show you, he’ll talk about my recruiting. He’s a fantastic recruiter himself. That just sealed the deal for us."

Terms of both contracts have not been officially released, however Monte Kiffin is expected to earn more than $1 million and Orgeron could earn more than $500,000.

Ed Orgeron was introduced as the new University of Tennessee football assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator on Friday.

Photo by Chad Greene

Orgeron will officially hit the recruiting trail Monday, however he’ll be on the road Sunday so he can be at a prospect’s school early Monday morning.

"I think you are going to have the hardest working recruiting staff here at Tennessee," he said. "We are going after the best players now.

"There’s no one that will out work us. No one. You better wake up early and go to bed late."

More details as they develop online and in tomorrow’s News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

VolNBham writes:

I like it!

SeanJean writes:

I wanna see the video! Sounds good.

bloodrunsorange writes:

Hope is a worderful thing!

hotrodvol writes:

CLK said not to worry about recruiting. To let him assemble a staff that VOL fans would be proud of...keep it coming coach looks great so far.

iwastherein98 writes:

I love the attitude

Vol_in_Mich writes:

How can any real Vol fan not be excited by these guys? These are the real "Pros from Dover"

Go VOLS!!!

rockytop4ever writes:

I like it. Who wouldnt want to play for this staff. I cant wait til they get a few years of their own players in here. Go Vols!

BillsBrother writes:

Al Wilson's intensity would fit right in with these guys.

That is what we are looking for, right? 1998 intensity!

VirginiaVols writes:

Where can I watch the Video?

volwalk writes:

WOW! What a press conference and what a staff that is forming on Rocky Top. This is the best we could have done--for the hiring this year. HATS OFF TO MIKE HAMILTON! Can't wait for the Orange and White game. I would like to see 100k at that game. Monte Kiffen has so much energy--I can see why he has been so successful throughout his career. I was about to run through the wall--by just listening to him on the radio.

GO BIG ORANGE!

cainclifton23 writes:

Where can you see the video at?

wjr2b2 writes:

in response to BillsBrother:

Al Wilson's intensity would fit right in with these guys.

That is what we are looking for, right? 1998 intensity!

Totally Agree. Al Wilson would make an awesome linebakers coach while learning the ropes under Monte.

ahillen writes:

The News Sentinel had a videographer at the press conference. It will be on GVX later this afternoon.

cainclifton23 writes:

in response to wjr2b2:

Ive never understood why everyone always wants Al Wilson. He has NEVER been a coach before.

and just cause he played with some emotion and wes a pretty good player, makes him like god of LB's.

Why wouldnt you get a proven LB's coach.

(Ken Norton Jr)

Volfan615 writes:

You can see the video at www.utsports.com

cobbwebb writes:

in response to wjr2b2:

as bad as i would like to see "big al" roaming the sidelines, im putting my vote on dale jones as lbs coach, great coach , great reputation, local boy ,(who has been away from the good ol boy network long enough), and he knows the program!(traditions) HIREDALEJONES.COM !

SeanJean writes:

The video isn't loading for me over at utsports Volfan.

stinky_pinky writes:

Comment from Coach O on Wed...

"I am excited and I will be up there sometime on Friday," Orgeron said. "And Monday morning I will be knocking on someone's door to recruit them to something that's going to be special in Knoxville."

"Operation Orange Swarm" has arrived

cobbwebb writes:

coach kiffin should create a new position called head motivational coordinator, hire al wilson, and let him just chew rears and get guys fired up before games!

Vol_in_Mich writes:

I understand wanting a former Vol player on the staff, but has Al Wilson ever expressed an interest in coaching at UT or anywhere else? Sometimes great players don't make good coaches & Al was great not just pretty good. Maybe as a graduate assistant, does that count as one of the nine assistants allowed? Anyone Know?

Go VOLS!!!

fredricks writes:

Bring back Coach Fulmer!

HtownVol writes:

1 thing is certain. For the next 4-5 years at minimum (not including 08) UT will have a top 10 recruiting class every year. We will have the best recruiting staff in the country..BY FAR. Good to be a VOL. These high school players are going to take notice soon on what we a assembling in Knoxville.

cainclifton23 writes:

in response to SeanJean:

The video isn't loading for me over at utsports Volfan.

yea me either

IdahoVol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctor:

It would be great to see Dale Jones come in. The one thing that concerns me with this staff is no ties at all to UT. I would love it if we had at least one person that can talk about the history, the importance of the third Saturday in October, the game maxims, etc. This looks like a great staff, but I don't see any loyalty down the road. Maybe since Jones has no real ties to Fulmer he will get some consideration.

echapin writes:

Hey all.
I've got a cup of coffee and am editing the press conference video now. I'll probably be putting up several videos that encompass the entire press conference.
Wait 'til y'all see Monte. He's a firecracker!
Erin Chapin
site staff

cainclifton23 writes:

in response to echapin:

Hey all.
Wait 'til y'all see Monte. He's a firecracker!
Erin Chapin
site staff

Where at?

yeavols#228407 writes:

What a relief for sure! You are right, who wouldn't be excited about the direction we are moving. The comment on Al Wilson is very appropriate..who wouldn't want him either? The enthusiasm is beginning to swell and its getting contagious. Just be prepared for the non-vols to make their debut.

shoalcreekvol writes:

SEPTEMBER SEPTEMBER SEPTEMBER can't get here fast enough. I can't wait to see what kind of product these guys put on the field.

Regarding the players at UT who have cruised through on the "mediocre" setting for a couple of years, I suspect they are bug-eyed with their mouth hanging open while staring at the computer screen these days. Uh-oh. Gonna have to kick it in gear...

Volunteer writes:

Does anyone have a link to the press conference... Im out here in San Antonio, TX and freakin ESPN wont show anything Tennessee...

I tried the UTSPORTS.com website but it wont load either!

Thanks!

lomas98 writes:

Al Wilson as a SEC football coach when he has never coached a day in is life is comical. How about we bring Peyton Manning in as QB coach, John Henderson at DL coach, Peerless Price as WR coach, and Jamal Lewis as RB coach? Lets name any successful player in the past and mention them for coach. Stop it. As far as the real coaches go, this is exciting. Getting the best players is one thing and getting them to execute on gameday is another. Hopefully this staff can transfer this enthusiasm and excitement on gamedays. If we start out 0-2 in conference next year, watch out Lane the wolves will start circling around you.

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to fredricks:

Bring back Coach Fulmer!

Fulmer has a new job and he's still a Volunteer. He was great on ESPN last night. Good luck Fulmer. You are doing great in your new element. Moving on, Coach K and company are doing a great job so far and we are all liking it. What a great change and pleasant on at that. Of course you can't please everyone everywhere.

rabidvol1998 writes:

in response to IdahoVol:

good points. Dale Jones is a man and probably about 40.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to fredricks:

Bring back Coach Fulmer!

You have not heard..He's the new coach for the Denver Bronco's

SeanJean writes:

The UTsports link is working for me now, although it appears unedited and has a lot of fluff at the beginning I'm waiting through.

volwalk writes:

thanks for the update, Erin.

This staff with all the excitement is a complete 180 from the previous regime. I am praying that the excitement from the coaches will translate to a better product on the field, thus more Ws and Championships.

GO VOLS

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to echapin:

Hey all.
Wait 'til y'all see Monte. He's a firecracker!
Erin Chapin
site staff

Wow, good positive and informative interaction with a KNS staffer...Thanks Erin! We'll be looking forward to those videos.

From the other posters it sounds like I'm not the only one chomping at the bit to see these guys in orange and hear what I think we already know...

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to shoalcreekvol:

Good thoughts.

"We are going after the best players now". Orgeron didn't waste any time.

Hang on, the ride is starting.

DAWGSSUCK writes:

Question for those who've seen the press conf, why does Orgeron say his first day on campus wasn't pleasant?

bhjohnso#207063 writes:

I really like the way this staff is coming together and the general attitude. They're very aggressive and all-business, and there's not much of this "gosh darn aw shucks" kinda stuff, and they're not afraid to take the gloves off. I think this is so different than what we've had for the past, oh, ten years anyway. I don't necessarily think CPF was doing things the wrong way, but there's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak, and what we needed around here was change. Time will tell as to how many football games are won, but I think that success is more likely than failure at this point.

tennecwingrider writes:

in response to fredricks:

Bring back Coach Fulmer!

Who?

bobbarbilly writes:

"The time has come" the walrus said "to end the amenities and get some boots on the pavement".
We're burning daylight.

WillTNKnox writes:

I have a feeling that Lane and Monte will argue over decisions a lot. Monte is the dad and Lane is the head coach which to me might cause some power issues. I hope I'm wrong because they look like great coaches.

tnbigg writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

Good thoughts.

"We are going after the best players now". Orgeron didn't waste any time.

Hang on, the ride is starting.

THIS IS ALL GOOD! But...I have read a few posts above about a fire and brimstone demanding and challengeing champion named Al Wilson. The posts seemed to slight him in that "he has never coached before". I am trying to remember which Hall of Fame coach was a coach before he coached. I'm thinkin' that 100% of coaches everywhere were not coaches before they were coaches. They were not coaches. They were folks who wanted to become coaches. So...if a coach wants to become a coach...but he's never coached before and the "experts" demand that any coach must be a coach before they can become a coach...what will become of coaches who never were coaches before? It seems a bit confusing and all...but I dunno'...maybe you can figure it out and let me know...

tennesseebee writes:

in response to cainclifton23:

Why wouldnt you get a proven LB's coach.

(Ken Norton Jr)

If Al Wilson is interested, I think he should get a shot. He knows alot about the LB position. Can he teach it? Who knows, but he is a great motivator and he would have a safety net on either side in Orgeron and Monte. Remember, this is a Defensive UNIT.Every coach has to start somewhere.

SeanJean writes:

Just watched the press conference on WVLT. Thanks for the link okievol. You can't not be excited after seeing Monte talk. Great stuff.

rabidvol1998 writes:

in response to tnbigg:

I with you on Al. It wasn't long ago I wasn't a poster, but now I am.

If not Al then Dale, who has been a coach.

MidTennVol writes:

Press conference video at http://all-access.cbssports.com/playe...

TommyJack writes:

What's not to like? Don't get the obsession with Al Wilson, though.

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to DAWGSSUCK:

I wondered the same thing...he never really said why it was unpleasant. I hope it was something small...like they ran out of crawfish in the cafeteria.