Defensive back Edwards says Vols in lead

Tennessee is the team to beat for defensive back Mike Edwards from Glenville High School in Cleveland, Ohio.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Edwards received a scholarship offer from new UT coach Lane Kiffin last month.

Edwards said the Vols have since taken the lead in the race for his services.

“Tennessee definitely has the edge right now,” he said.

Edwards said he hasn’t committed to UT because he wants to wait until he finishes taking his official visits.

Edwards has already visited Cincinnati officially and plans to visit Michigan on Jan. 9 and UT on Jan. 23.

Edwards said he could then commit to the Vols if he enjoys his trip to Knoxville.

“If I see what I like at Tennessee and my mind is made up and I’m still buying into the program then, yeah, I’m going to make a decision then,” said Edwards, who is also considering trips to Illinois and Minnesota.

Edwards said he started buying into UT’s program after talking to Kiffin.

Edwards said he likes the mentality Kiffin is bringing to the Vols.

“He has high expectations and wants what’s best for his kids,” Edwards said. “That’s what I like about him. He just said he wants players that are going to buy into the program and want to be successful not only in football but in life.”

Edwards said he expects UT’s defense to have success under new defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

“That’s really all I keep hearing is his name,” Edwards said. “I can’t wait to get down there to meet him and play for him because I have so many things I can learn and he can teach me.

“It’d be a wonderful experience to get to play for him.”

It’s Kiffin’s NFL experience that makes him so appealing.

Edwards said Kiffin could show him what it takes to play at the pro level.

“Playing for an NFL coach opens up more doors,” Edwards said. “It gives you the experience of running a pro-style offense and pro-style defense and knowing different techniques some other coaches might not know.”

Edwards said he’s also drawn to UT by the way he expects Lane Kiffin to run his program.

Edwards said he sees a similarity between Kiffin and Glenville head coach Ted Ginn Sr.

“That’s what makes Coach Kiffin and the University of Tennessee so high on my list,” Edwards said. “There really isn’t much of a difference in the philosophy in the programs from Glenville to Tennessee. So that’s a good deal for me.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

1998natlchamps writes:

This is a great HS program. Maybe we get one this time around.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Make sure this kid has a good visit to K-ville. Sounds like we couls use him.

Go VOLS!!!

ctownvol writes:

Sounds like he already has his mind made up....

hotrodvol writes:

We need this guy, if for nothing else but to get a toe hold in his school.

Also is his teammate the O-lineman Hall?

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

Three stars on Rivals. Is that good?

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

I know CLK knows what he wants, but I still wish we were beating our SEC rivals for recruits.

jturne44 writes:

Can everybody say pipeline? haha

that is what we like to here now isn't it?

Outdors21 writes:

This kid being short and slow for a DB does not thrill me.

When pictured against UF and Bama WR, his 5'10" and 4.55 aren't going to do much.

cainclifton23 writes:

in response to Outdors21:

This kid being short and slow for a DB does not thrill me.

40 times on rivals dont count for much.

and there is a lot of short corners that are good.

suttree writes:

in response to Outdors21:

This kid being short and slow for a DB does not thrill me.

FYI. . .Eric Berry is only one inch taller.

Mike, c'mon to Neyland . . we look forward to watching you on Saturdays.

blitzshoot writes:

Why would you not want to play for Monte Kiffin. Appears that is a big attraction to this kid. We can use you sir and you would learn from the best. Go Vols!

jwright13#576991 writes:

in response to Outdors21:

This kid being short and slow for a DB does not thrill me.

you're a loser

Outdors21 writes:

in response to suttree:

FYI. . .Eric Berry is only one inch taller.

Mike, c'mon to Neyland . . we look forward to watching you on Saturdays.

Eric Berry also has top-end speed and plays Safety.

I can't believe you're comparing the two.

Outdors21 writes:

in response to suttree:

FYI. . .Eric Berry is only one inch taller.

Mike, c'mon to Neyland . . we look forward to watching you on Saturdays.

Also, according to Scout.com:

Berry in 2007: 6'0" 194 4.35
Edwards in 2009: 5'10" 170 4.55

Umm...please don't compare.

Outdors21 writes:

in response to jwright13#576991:

you're a loser

I'm sorry. I simply don't believe that this guy fits in with CLK's comments about "the best players."

Unless he gets taller and/or faster...he'd be burned by guys like Julio Jones for years to come.

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to Outdors21:

This kid being short and slow for a DB does not thrill me.

hehe..obviously you didn't see the Alabama game last night. An undersized Utah team smacked a HUGE Alabama team around like a black and blue, red headed, sway back pimp on crack dressed in faux leopard skin at the red light district waiting for a Greyhound bus. Small players, speed, intensity, swarming like a hornet's nest isn't a bad prospect. Learn your recruiting.

hotrodvol writes:

in response to Outdors21:

Do you really think CLK could get all 5* players. He has just been on the job what five weeks. Most of the top players crossed UT off their list before he got here. Let's hope for the best this year, then next year, he will have time to build relationships with these kids.

98memories writes:

in response to Outdors21:

I usually stay quiet about others comments, but did Utah have a problem with Julio Jones. The Tampa 2 is about good tackling or what is call bend but don't break defense. As another poster stated, Monte looked at the film and saw something, that should be good enough.

massivevol writes:

i love reading articles about new recruits. bc until kiffin proves me wrong, every player that he offers a scholarship to will be an allstar

miamiVOL writes:

5'10 is fine for a DB..this kid reminds me of Dennis Rogan

Ironcity writes:

in response to Outdors21:

This kid being short and slow for a DB does not thrill me.

Outdoes I guess you have gone up and scouted him personally. Unless you know more about football then our 5 million dollar staff I suggest you trust there judgment. I find it down right comical that you are down on a guy because his time on a paid service just isn't fast enough for you.

mtownvol writes:

Rogan is the player that came to my mind also. This is also an opportunity to open up a pipeline from an excellent hs program.

suttree writes:

in response to Outdors21:

Eric Berry also has top-end speed and plays Safety.

I can't believe you're comparing the two.

My point was not to write anyone off over one inch (Rivals/Yahoo says Berry is 5'11").

Over one inch ((look at your pinched fingers)) . . I will assume that Monte, video, and HEART speak more than measuring tape.

As you were . .

Sut

Kiffin_fan writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

Amen brother and I know we will never get back to , "John Ward" he was met by a "host" of Volunteers... wow I miss that guy...

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

"An undersized Utah team smacked a HUGE Alabama team around like a black and blue, red headed, sway back pimp on crack dressed in faux leopard skin at the red light district waiting for a Greyhound bus."

You almost made me blow Pepsi out my nose, yeavols. That's funny stuff.

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

tenuscvol writes:

in response to AllVol2008#1353998:

Three stars on Rivals. Is that good?

better than two ....

NoogaVol55 writes:

I will just echo what a lot of you all are posting....I trust Lane and Monte Kiffin's ability to judge talent a whole lot more than anybody posting on here, including myself. Would it look more impressive if he was 6'2 200lbs. and ran a 4.3 forty...yeah it would, but there are tons of great players that don't have the prototypical size and times. Lets let the coaches recruit and sit back and enjoy instead of analyzing every move like we could do any better!

dc_4_ut writes:

in response to Outdors21:

This kid being short and slow for a DB does not thrill me.

Folks, this is an example of a guy who knows NOTHING about recruiting. Next thing you'll probably say is all NFL CBs where 5 star players and run 4.4 - 4.3s. This is simply not true and 40 times can change. Try watching a little film on the guy and then get back to us. That is all I ask...

Outdors21 writes:

I don't have a problem complaining here. The biggest difference between UT now and UT in 2001 (the last really great team) is team speed. Rivals/Scout do 2 things well: measurables and commitment lists.

Maybe after a year of RS (the defensive backfield is still loaded), Edwards will fill out some and gain some speed. But he does not, in any way, impress me right now.

And I don't need to be out scouting every player to know the difference between fast and not so fast.

Here's a quote from Scouts, Inc's report on him, "Our main concern when projecting for the next level is his lack of great speed. He is football fast on the field but does not project well if locked down on an island versus faster receivers at the next level. Needs to build up his body with added strength and bulk to match up versus bigger receivers as well. Could struggle battling for positioning on the jump ball and rerouting off the line. Flashes difficulty solidly tackling bigger backs at times. Overall, Edwards is a competitor at the position with good skills not great."

dc_4_ut writes:

If you click on the school info on that page I linked up it says he is already committed to TN. I think we can only lose him at this point. He may not have been clocked very fast. Don't know if that was on grass, turf, or track (guess it doesn't really matter). But his skill set is very intriguing and who knows maybe we can knock an extra tenth of a second off. Many Ohio scouts have said he is sorely underrated and I think UT would do themselves every bit o' good to get in well with Ted Ginn Sr....

RJ_Vol writes:

Recruiting Edwards might help to open up the state of Ohio to UT's recruiting. Just speculation on my part.

givehim6 writes:

What I hear from the recruits is thay want to play for monte kiffin to learn what it takes in the NFL, and thay like what CLK sayes. I think UT will look better in 2009 then 2008,then aftre that a full year to recruit we will have a top 10 class in 2010. GO VOLS!

VOL_FREAK_91 writes:

in response to givehim6:

I totally agree. I think it will be amazing to see what Lane and co. can do with a full year to recruit. From where we were this year the only way to go is up!

WeLoveTennesseeVols writes:

in response to Kiffin_fan:

Every time Quesling says , "Touchdown Tennessee" , i say how original. The guy is worth 10 loses just by his lack of x y and z. I do like him at basketball, though. We need some other announcers with a little swagger ....and class. Chemistry and class, that's what we need, chemistry and class. And a little bit of c r a ...p!!

Outdors21 writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

Kiffin has only seen tape...like the rest of us.

dc_4_ut writes:

in response to Outdors21:

Kiffin has only seen tape...like the rest of us.

So are you saying that he has a chance??? I'm saying he could be good. I'm saying he could work hard, learn from Coach Kiff, possibly play in the league. Not everybody meets expectations early. Did you see the fullback blocking for Darren Sproles tonight. He laid some pretty good licks didn't he? What did rivals have to say about him???

Link:

Outdors21 writes:

in response to dc_4_ut:

Link:

Another not-so-bright comparison. Typically, guys don't get much faster after age 18-19, but guys do get a lot stronger (Jacob Hester).

Compare Leonard Scott's HS track numbers to his college ones...not that much of a difference.

southernson writes:

Weve got our MOJO back baby yeaaa

tennesseebee writes:

in response to WeLoveTennesseeVols:

I miss "what did he do? the crowd will tell you..Touchdown-Tennessee!" or GIVE-HIM-SIX!!!

The_Real_UT writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

That was amazing. I'm still choking on my pop tart. Well played Sir, well played.