UT hires Alabama linebackers coach Thompson

Tennessee added another high-profile recruiter to its staff on Thursday, a source close to the situation confirmed.

Alabama outside linebackers coach Lance Thompson is expected to join UT coach Lane Kiffin's staff, perhaps as linebackers coach.

Thompson, 43, was named Rivals.com's recruiter of the year in 2008 for his efforts in helping the Crimson Tide land the recruiting Website's No. 1-rated class last year.

Thompson recruited primarily in South Alabama and helped the Tide land wide receiver Julio Jones, the SEC's freshman of the year in 2008.

According to Rivals, Thompson recruited 10 of Alabama's 32 signees last year.

"I appreciate this recognition from Rivals, but it should really go to our entire staff and to the University of Alabama," Thompson said at the time through Alabama's media relations office.

UT's plane spent part of Thursday in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and returned to Knoxville early Thursday afternoon.

The Vols have room for at least two more coaches, depending on the status of running backs coach Stan Drayton, the only remaining member of last year's staff.

Thompson has been at Alabama since January 2007, although the Georgia native also coached the defensive line there from 1999-2000.

He was a member of Nick Saban's LSU staff in 2002 and 2003, serving as the Tigers' assistant head coach in charge of recruiting for one year before becoming defensive coordinator at UCF from 2004-06.

Thompson's longest stay was at Georgia Tech, where he was a graduate assistant from 1988-89, a volunteer assistant from 1990-91 and director of football of football operations from 1992-94 before becoming an on-field assistant in 1995.

All told, The Citadel graduate spent 11 years on the staff at Georgia Tech.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TheVolMan writes:

Excellent!

volfan_stuck_in_jersey writes:

Good....Lets get some of those Bama boys to change their minds on where they are going now

SignalMtnVol writes:

wonder if he'll bring Trent Richardson with him?

RichmondVol42 writes:

Up yours, Bama.

King53 writes:

good ole rocky top, rocky top Tennessee

smokyredbone writes:

SignalMtnVol writes:

What's bama987's take on this, I wonder? Or will it be like the Gator fans "Awww, he sucked anyway!"

SeanJean writes:

Let's hope these guys can coach. You can't win on recruiting classes alone. Just look at our basketball team.

smokyredbone writes:

Richardson, Fluker and McCarrons!!! Ha Ha Ha !!!!

lomas98 writes:

in response to SeanJean:

We did back in the 90's.

volfan_stuck_in_jersey writes:

you know, even if we dont persuade any recruits our way this year with this hire it should help in years to come. Our recruiting down there had been put on a lockdown the last couple years when it came to the big boys.

On a even more positive not...looks like this site finally produced some breaking news that wasn't read on espn.com first.

Even better news...no idiot got to say "first"

Rockford writes:

Good hire. Can't wait until signing day!

wjr2b2 writes:

Excellent hire! Now we need a couple minority coaches.

GotPearl writes:

Brent Hubbs had this on Volquest a couple hours ago.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Bet he didn't contribute nothing to Bama's success.

Our Bama friend will tell us.

Shortly.

smokyredbone writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

Heck between the Sugar Bowl crapout, Satan losing all of his assistants and 987's sister/wife/cousin being sick, he might be hanging in the barn!! Would someone please check on him!!!! GO VOLS GET ALL OF BAMMERS RECRUITS AS WELL!!!!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

Exactly. Gators always say, "yeah, we were getting ready to run his lame azz off anyway".

jacksfacts writes:

unnamed source=volquest.com

volfan_stuck_in_jersey writes:

in response to wjr2b2:

Excellent hire! Now we need a couple minority coaches.

What?

SignalMtnVol writes:

This should be a little insight into how the Bammers feel about it

byobbio writes:

Just hire Drayton and tell everybody and quit treating him like he's just there because you don't have anybody else right now. I think he's proven, he's available, and he wants to be here. I can't necessarily say that about the rest of the staff.

WinOrLoseWeStillBooze writes:

Wow! Now let's just hope he can pull Richardson and McCarrons away from the dark side.

volfan_stuck_in_jersey writes:

in response to volfan_stuck_in_jersey:

What?

Disreguard man...sorry I read your comment wrong, thought you were saying he was a minority.

smokyredbone writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

Not sure what the bammers will say on here, but I can tell you that on their sites they are po'd. Blaming Satan for treating them like kids!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! LOVE IT!Here we come Bammer!!

senracjr writes:

in response to wjr2b2:

Excellent hire! Now we need a couple minority coaches.

what you just said makes you sound like a black man and racist.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to wjr2b2:

Excellent hire! Now we need a couple minority coaches.

Naw, Now we need more coaches who can COACH. Regardless of age/race/creed/nationality/religion. Get the coaches in here who are committed to being the best!

volfan_stuck_in_jersey writes:

in response to byobbio:

I agree that he needs to make the decision about Drayton and that he should stay but what are you talking about with the other part of your comment? Who on the staff isn't wanting to be there?

smokyredbone writes:

in response to byobbio:

Why would you hire Drayton? Our running game sucked last year!!! Don't retain simply because he is AA,thats the same as firing him because he is AA!!!! Get me someone that can coach, don't care about race!!! GO VOLS!!!

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

wonder if he'll bring Trent Richardson with him?

I've quit wondering, Signal Mountain.

Other than hiring Monte, CLK has thrown me one curve ball after another and I find this whole assistant coach hiring interesting to say the least.

I'm sure he's doubling the pay, too.

newtonrail writes:

in response to wjr2b2:

Excellent hire! Now we need a couple minority coaches.

This is something I have mentioned a couple of times. I know you want to get the best person, and race shouldn't matter. But it does. Especially in the South. If Drayton isn't retained, we have ZERO Black coaches. A coach or any kind of manager wants people around him he is comfortable with. I understand this, but it's time to reach out. It's going to look like just what it is if the last three picked are minority coaches. And no, the Strength and Conditioning Coach really doesn't count in this.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to Down_The_Field:

I've quit wondering, Signal Mountain.

I'm sure he's doubling the pay, too.

Maybe, but when we were building our house, I paid for the best carpenters, masons, electricians, etc, that I could find. I've learned in my life that you don't scrimp where quality counts!

volfan_stuck_in_jersey writes:

"The Vols have recently tried to enter the fray for Richardson and McCarron.

We'll have more as this develops ..."

Bama boys we have done more than try to enter the fray. We may not get them but I would almost bet the house that we have Richardson thinking about.

Thanks for the link signal

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to smokyredbone:

Perhaps the out of sync OL could have been the problem

iwastherein98 writes:

HAHAHAHA!! Bama can eat it. This coaching staff is getting more impressive by the day. I wasn't even sure if that was possible after Monte and Orgeron.

It's to the point now that our lowest profile coach would be a huge get for any other program (Offensive Coordinator)

wjr2b2 writes:

in response to senracjr:

what you just said makes you sound like a black man and racist.

Far from it on both fronts. The staff CLK has assembled looks to be an absolute powerhouse. I just think a little divsity is a must or other schools will use it against us.

smokyredbone writes:

in response to gatorzz:

mattfriedman58#226364 writes:

in response to wjr2b2:

Excellent hire! Now we need a couple minority coaches.

I don't give a rats cr@p what color they are. Can they coach? Can they recruit? Are they going to help win championships? That's all I care about!

TIDE29viles9 writes:

29-9
Lance thompson was an execellent recruiter because he had saban to close the deal. Just like lane had carrol at USC.

volsmith writes:

It's good to get good recruiters, but when are we going to get any recruits to commit? We've had a net loss in recruits since Fulmer was fired and Kiffin hired. I come here three and four times a day to see if anyone has committed and there's been no news to speak of since the db from Nashville committed.

jobrando#216494 writes:

What about the Guidry interview this week???

Redbone writes:

in response to smokyredbone:

I don't think it was Drayton that was making the decision to keep bumbling, fumbling Foster in the game at critical times. At the same time when your QB's can't hit water if they fell out of a boat or read a defense for that matter no RB is going to have success.

utmdm writes:

in response to SignalMtnVol:

Yea, it will be like "we still got 2/3 of our recruits without him and our quality of recruits is so great it won't matter."

Redbone writes:

in response to gatorzz:

JKW50 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Perhaps the out of sync OL could have been the problem

the line didnt cause the fumbles last yr tho. if you cant hang on to the ball when you get hit then you dont need to be a running back. thats what the coach is for, to teach them about hanging on to the football. he doesnt need to be kept around just because he is our only black coach.

rockytop4ever writes:

in response to RichmondVol42:

Up yours, Bama.

I'll 2nd that

smokyredbone writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Perhaps the out of sync OL could have been the problem

He had a back that was 600yards from the school record and didn't get it for him! Eddie Gran (start the race comments in 3-2-1...)will be our next RB coach. He has coached up some of the best backs in SEC history (Williams / Brown the Duece ect...) CLK has tried to hire the best coaches some of them were AA, seems the only ones that have been turning him down. He is basing his career on these assistants,so he needs to hire the ones that he feels will help him the most!!! But Drayton can not coach!!! GO VOLS!!!!

Maverick1921 writes:

ESPN's Chris Low is reporting that Lane Kiffin is still talking to Eddie Gran about coming to UT!!!

in response to SignalMtnVol:

This should be a little insight into how the Bammers feel about it

Thanks for the link! I love it! CLK RULES! GO VOLS!!!

utchris writes:

Drayton is out by his own choosing.