Briscoe said Clawson had two-year plan

'There was too much thinking going on instead of just playing ball'

Former Tennessee wide receiver Josh Briscoe vividly remembers his position coach telling him how much better the Dave Clawson offense would be in its second year.

Briscoe was not encouraged. He knew two years would be too long.

"We were in a meeting room with our receivers coach (Latrell Scott)," Briscoe said in an interview on The Sports Page, the News Sentinel radio show, Friday morning. "He started showing us film of Richmond (where Clawson was the head coach) the first year and then showing us film of Richmond a couple of years after Coach Clawson had been there.

"'If you give this offense time, it will be successful,' he told us. That was the thing that got my attention."

Briscoe, who was a senior receiver last year, thought at the time: "Coach, we don't have that time. We're struggling right now."

The struggle with Clawson's new offense began in the spring and continued through a 5-7 season that cost coach Phillip Fulmer and his staff their jobs. The Vols ranked 115th out of 119 Division I-A teams in total offense.

Briscoe said players had to think too much on the field; that younger receivers were given more opportunities at the expense of proven, veteran receivers; and that Clawson's philosophy of flip-flopping offensive linemen from one side to the other never worked.

But nothing bothered Briscoe more than the idea that the offense was on a two-year timetable.

"Hearing that from (Scott) was really upsetting," he said. "Putting an offense in at this level, you can't have a year for it to take effect - not at this level, especially not at Tennessee. We expect to be able to win every week.

"That offense wasn't putting us there. That offense held us back a lot."

Briscoe was asked if he approached Fulmer about the problems with the new offense.

"I talked to Coach Fulmer," he said. "Older guys (at receiver) were looked over because we didn't have as much time to play under (Clawson).

"Coach Fulmer is a very loyal guy. He believed in Coach Clawson. He believed that he was gonna be given a second chance, that the system would be given a second chance. It's unfortunate that things didn't turn out that way."

Briscoe said Fulmer's faith in Clawson carried over to the team, even though the offense was floundering.

"Because Coach Fulmer believed in Coach Clawson, that gave us more hope. We thought, 'Coach Fulmer believes in this guy, so let's keep fighting for this guy. Coach Fulmer is not giving up, so we won't give up.'

"We had the attitude to just play hard and finish hard as best as we could. For the most part, we did that - except for Wyoming."

Briscoe contrasted last season with the 2007 season under former offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe, who helped lead UT to the SEC East championship.

"Coach Cutcliffe did a great job of finding what our identity was and using that talent," Briscoe said. "We didn't have a lot of (receivers) who could go deep. But we had guys who could get separation and run great routes. This year with a new offense, we never really found that identity with a new coordinator coming into the program.

"(Clawson) didn't really know these guys. He didn't know their talents. We were trying to do a lot of things we really shouldn't have been doing offensively. We never really found our identity, never really found something that we knew if we did it, we were going to get positive yards."

Briscoe said he complained to Fulmer that the veteran receivers were getting fewer opportunities.

"They started to focus more on the younger guys," Briscoe said. "(Lucas Taylor's) reps were cut in half. That's uncalled for. Austin (Rogers) and I ... Our reps were cut in half. That's uncalled for ... because you want to play the younger guys for the future. It's not right."

Taylor had 73 catches while Rogers and Briscoe each had 56 in 2007 when Cutcliffe was the coordinator and senior Erik Ainge was the quarterback. In 2008, Gerald Jones led UT with 30 receptions. Taylor had 26; Briscoe and Rogers had 14 apiece.

Not only did UT have a new offense, it had a new quarterback in Jonathan Crompton. When he faltered, the Vols turned to Nick Stephens before going back to Crompton.

Briscoe was asked about the problems the system posed for a new quarterback.

"It's a difficult scheme to learn in a year," he said. "There's a lot of pre-snap reads based on safeties and corners. It was too much thinking going on instead of just playing ball.

"We had to do a lot more thinking as a whole. We weren't able to go out and just play as much."

Briscoe said the offensive linemen were as uncomfortable as anyone in Clawson's system.

“He came in and started flipping linemen around. It was difficult to understand why we would flip linemen like that.” When a linemen is at right tackle and has to put his left hand down to pass block and then he has to switch over to left tackle, it’s completely two different things. It’s two different movements.”

Briscoe said he’s still upset about how the season went, but that he and his teammates realized they had to move on. He said he has heard good things from his former teammates about coach Lane Kiffin’s new staff.

“I haven’t talked to the guys too much about Coach Kiffin,” he said. “They have said some great things about coach (Ed) Orgeron and (defensive coordinator) Monte Kiffin, and some of the other position coaches — the energy they have and the ability to get up at 5 o’clock in the morning for morning runs.”

He is training to prepare himself for NFL tryouts. And Clawson is starting over as the coach at Bowling Green.

Briscoe was asked if he was surprised that after the way the offense performed, Clawson got a better job.

“I don’t think ‘surprised’ is the word,” he said. “He must be a great interviewer.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

yeavols#228407 writes:

Thanks, but no thanks..if you can't block and do the simple things, what makes you think you can do it in 2 years. I am not buying not.

bcbobcat82 writes:

Fire Fulmer!!! This guy is horrible...We need some new blood in TN FOOTBALL!!! Clawson is HORRIBLE TOO!!!! Please FIRE the whole staff and let's bring in some winners!!

kevin151 writes:

The best player should play period. I dont care about seniority. I know that if I see Austin Rogers or Wes Brown starting this year, that things will not get better. These guys stink and they need to make way for better young talent. I have faith in CLK.

Waldorf writes:

Funny, O-linemen standing there watching their QB get massacred is frowned upon even in pee-wee leagues. I also think pee-wee teams place an emphasis on not fumbling over. And I'm note 100% sure Crompton is capable of running a pee-wee offense.

Sounds like a spoiled rotten player that is the epitome of the players under the Foolmore regime this decade.

rusty_shackleford writes:

tuscaloosa john just threw raw red meat on the floor and it didn't take long for the dogs to pounce. Five years from now, tuscaloosa john will STLL be writing articles about CPF.

Stop looking backwards (if you can, you backwards goober) and try to look forward to next season!

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

Clawson will be successful. We can talk all we want about two years, no years, too soon, whatever. He will win. His time was short here so we'll never know what would've been

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Maybe we need smarter players.

Go VOLS!!!

BigOrangeVol writes:

Still hanging on to your personal illusions and perceptions even when someone in the know tells you exactly what happened to a T. Congratulations on building your own deluded reality. That's why you people are pathetic. Hey, the World is flat and I know so because I went to a beach and saw it for myself!!!

heatcoach3030 writes:

in response to Waldorf:

There ya go again dumb azz. The kid just told you what happened this year and you make him out to be a whinner. Sounded pretty spot on to me. If I'm not mistaken this was not the first time this version of what went on has been printed. But we've moved on and we'll never know if the system would have worked out or not. But ya never know what the Boyd kid who supposidly would have been perfect for this offense would have done. Also ya better get used to Crompton being the QB because he's who's going to have the job come this fall and I'd bet this new system will better suit his abilities and talent.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Secondly, players like Josh Briscoe are one of the reasons we've slipped off talent-wise to begin with. He never did much of anything during his entire career. Fulmer would rather play daddy to these kids than get the best kids available. Lane Kiffin understands you have to recruit the top notch athletes to compete in the SEC year in and year out. Not 3-star duds like Josh Briscoe. He seems like a good kid who means well, but Briscoe, Lucas Taylor, Austin Rogers, Quinton Hancock, etc are not SEC caliber receivers and should have never been offered scholarships if Fulmer really wanted to dominate at the same level we dominated with receivers like Donte Stallworth, Peerless Price, Kelley Washington, etc.

smashmouth98 writes:

The player with the most talent should get the most reps. regardless of their class. This was CPF biggest downfall, i.e. not playing the talent. I was sick and tired of watching Briscoe and Rogers on the field. They lacked the talent and ability!!!!!
Put the playmakers on the field. Denarius Moore!!!!!

Where has Paige, Ward been hiding?

beatlecakes writes:

You have to admit the last quote was more than a gut punch...

"I don't think 'surprised' is the word," he said. "He must be a great interviewer."

sadsack81 writes:

Briscoe was a mediocre receiver at best. Rogers is terrible. Our dink offense with Ainge was the only way to move the ball, and Cutcliffe took advantage of it. We need a Marlon Brown like receiver and a strong-armed QB. With Jones, Hancock, Brown, and Moore at wide receiver and Warren at T/E, we will be ok.

heatcoach3030 writes:

in response to workinlikehek:

How's him printing a version from someone who was actually on the team a cheap shot. He printed the version of someone who was actually there and not the total BS that a lot of posters on this site put on here and don't have the first clue as to how things really went down. Briscoe's version, wheather you want to accept it or not is more likely what really went on than anything half the moron's on this site post to be facts that they don't really know sh t. Go play intermurial's brother.

CHITOWNVOL writes:

sounds like Briscoe is just telling it like it is. Too bad these 3 pretty good receivers from 2007 won't even be considered in the NFL Draft. Clawson was the worst thing to happen to UT in years. He'll thrive at Bowling Green playing against their shlub schedule....

utkedu writes:

I am a little disappointed that a player would go on the air with these comments, but I can understand the frustration. He is a young man who feels he has talents that were not utilized to their fullest. Whether that was true or not, we will never know.

I am a little surprised that anyone is commenting that this former player is somehow spoiled or just bitter. Weren't you ready for Fulmer to be fired after this year's performance? Didn't you think there was something wrong with the offense? If it is true that the coaches articulated everything in a two-year time table and you were a senior who just had a pretty strong year as a junior, wouldn't you be disappointed as well? That having been said, he probably should have left out the little sucker punch on Clawson at the end.

BigOrangeVol writes:

Adams just plain sucks and is bad enough but the posters on here have taken the most brutal and hateful cheap shots by far. And they continue day after day after day.

jsm67vol writes:

He is just a frustrated senior who just endured probably the worst season ever as a football player. Why should he be any different than the rest of us and voice it. The frustration I felt this season was unbearable. I can only imagine what some of these players felt. Briscoe told it like he saw it. Clawson's system takes 2 yerars to run efficiently. Had this been reinforced to everyone when Clawson was hired it probably still wouldn't have saved any jobs. Clawson's record shows his teams never do well the first year. If they had gotten a bowl, we would be awaiting a 2nd year of Clawson's off. and IMO UT would have been much more competitive. Talent levels would have improved and UT would have gotten a better bowl. I would like to think that anyway. I think the biggest problem would have been coaching up the talent, as it has been for many years. I have a much better feeling about the new staffs ability to coach up UTs talent, current and future. But I also expected Clawson's offense to be better than it was in 08. I didn't expect to win the sec, nor do I expect that in 09. I expect UT to be competitive in every game they play and in 08 they were not. If UT is competitive in every game of 09 (close in even the losses) then IMO we will know the new staff is as good as they look on paper!!

newtonrail writes:

in response to kevin151:

I know you are a new poster so I'll take it easy and simply say you are wrong. We can argue when Rogers is a possession receiver, and Naffy can get on here with his racist clap trap. But there is nothing wrong with with Wes Brown other than having to play injured most of the year, because of depth problems.

TommyJack writes:

What's the fuss? Sounds pretty accurate to me.

UTVol4Life80 writes:

in response to nicksjuzunk#646117:

Quite frankly, I'm glad we never will know what would've been with Clawson's offense. Glad he took it with him to BG. You don't implement a 2-yr plan at a school like UT. You can get away with that at Vandy, Kentucky, S. Carolina, etc., but NOT in Knoxville. Clawson is a good coach and I wish him success, but he just bit off more than he could chew at UT. Offensive players recruited for Coach Cut's scheme and he asks them to do a complete 180? It was doomed from the start.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to rusty_shackleford:

lol you just called that man a goober lmao

volsfan22 writes:

in response to nicksjuzunk#646117:

clauson or clawson no matter how u spell it its the same haha the clausen brothers were horrible to im glad this guy is gone

UTVol4Life80 writes:

in response to Lostballnhighweeds:

That's why it was doomed from the start. It wasn't a 2 yr plan for a championship. It was a 2 yr plan to maybe have the offense up to speed. Terrible. We had some decent talent at WR with Briscoe and especially Lucas Taylor. Taylor only had 26 catches compared to 73(2/3 drop) in '07 and Briscoe/Rogers had 14 compared to 56(3/4 drop)?!?!?! This WAS NOT our QB's fault. It was an offense that shouldn't have ever been implemented here with the type players we had. Our QB play will be fine with Kiffin's offense next year. He obviously sees something in our QBs because he isn't worried about landing one this year...

bobbytodd writes:

If funny how a lot of armchair QB's feel comfortable deciding who should take all the blame. I like coming on this site to get information about recruiting but I have noticed that any time a person has anything less than 100% positive to say about UT turns into satan himself. This guy went from 56 balls to 14 and the offensive line went from very few sacks to about 5 per game average with basically the same people. I may be going out on a limb but I have a feeling he has a little more inside information than lets say vol_in_mich...(just a thought)...and while i'm on this rant...Why is the recruit we want so bad that decides to go another team all the sudden a dirty thug? Act like your not being racist if you want to but I haven't seen a white recruit that chose another school called a thug lately.

Slystone writes:

in response to jsm67vol:

I would agree with the first part of your statement. Briscoe is voicing what many of us already observed, but I'm going to reserve my comments on Kiffen and Staff until they play this fall. I just don't believe it's wise to get all geeked up over a million dollar staff until they can show and prove. I await their first game this fall (Spring don't even count).

ethanfrome writes:

I can't believe anyone would read this article and trash the kid like he's got a problem. Clawson trashed our offense, period.

khelton657 writes:

Sounds like Briscoe is being pretty reasonable, whether anyone wants to beleive it or not. Clawson took virtually the same players on offense and dropped their productivity by 50 to 70%, same players..

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

What's the fuss? Sounds pretty accurate to me.

I got a slight problem with this TJ.

Was Briscoe not the one who publicly called out Mike Hamilton calling him greedy and not caring about the "TN Family/Program" when Fulmer got the axe? Now he comes on here 2 months after the season was over and takes shots at the "TN Family/Program" by questioning his coaches and b*tching that he got looked over and was not utilized. I am sure he was/is frustrated by how it went down, but damn, he is like T. Owens with a tenth of the talent. The offensive line was confused, the upper classmen didn't get the reps, CPF wouldn't listen to me. Cry me a river Briscoe.

He would be best served to let sleeping dogs lie and move on.

Ok I am done!

Volfan615 writes:

First thing I am glad that briscoe came out and told it like it is at least now i know who to blame outta all this BS. Second thing after reading what some of yall are sayin about this article tells me that some of yall have never even played the game before.From what I have been through, I can really relate to what briscoe is sayin cuz I had just quit playin for a team that was tryin to put in a system a lot like clawsons i'm not tryin to say that everybody on here dont know what their talkin cuz some of u do but to the ones who dont know the game need to quit talkin BS

BigOrangeinCharge writes:

in response to Lostballnhighweeds:

There ARE good reasons why some coaches like to flip flop the offensive linemen. For one thing, it lets you take advantage of mismatches (like putting your best run blocking linemen on the typically smaller, pass-rush specialist RDEs to wear them down). Second, it's actually done to SIMPLIFY the blocking assignments for the OL. It just didn't work at UT because the players couldn't master the techniques of playing both sides.

It works like this: If you're always on the strongside, you only have to remember the blocking assignment for the strongside on each play, and visa versa for the weakside, whereas if you're in a Left-Right system, your linemen have to learn both blocking schemes for each play because it could be strong right or strong left at any given time. Considering how defenses like to shift and throw a million different fronts at offenses every week, that part makes a lot of sense. Nothing kills a drive quicker than someone slipping through unblocked because a confused OL went after the wrong guy.

However, as everyone noticed, there's a trade-off: if you flip flop, the OL's reads are always the same, the amount of techniques they need to learn for each block has doubled, so coaches pick one or the other. Left-Right is standard because most coaches think that the practice reps to master the technique is more time consuming than homework and quizzing on blocking schemes. Plus the NFL makes a big deal about having the best pass blockers at Left Tackle so they can protect $10 million QBs' blindsides, and that idea's filtered down to all levels of football. People assume that if the NFL and everyone else does it that way, it's the only way it should ever be done.

I don't think this should have been as big a deal as it's been made out to be. Auburn ran it quite successfully in the SEC under Terry Bowden. I think a lot of this comes from the OL and coaches trying to scapegoat Clawson for their failure to produce this past year. The Vols' OL has been underachieving for years, but Cutcliffe and Ainge did a good job of covering for them by getting the ball out so quickly.

BigDaddyVol writes:

in response to volsfan22:

Casey did not throw the prettiest ball, nor was he fleet of foot but when he was on the hill the kid was a gamer.IMO he done pretty well with limited skills.It is hard for me to bash a Vol with the amount of heart he played with ...but what do I know..

Ringside writes:

Horrible offensive line. It would have taken four years at least.

WeLoveTennesseeVols writes:

in response to BigOrangeVol:

After reading to this post, I stopped, because, this is a cool post! I know, Linda, there has to be a God in heaven, and that the world is round. Remember the fools that said it was flat, admired a whole lot of paintings with nice, large ROUND fruit. Let's just see how these quarterbacks do next year. Now won't that be interesting. Wonder what John Adams will be writing about then?

TopProspect writes:

Usually John Adams really bothers me but i think this is a really good article...

I always wandered what really happened to our offense... It's like we went from a pretty good offense to a high school team ( I dont mean a florida high school either.. east tennessee high school. haha sry had to throw that in.) If you all remember, after that LSU game in 2007 I was excited about Crompton even though we lost that game.. Now i know most of the people on this site hate crompton but c'mon you dont just lose everything in a few months to a year.. He looked really good in his first start. I knew there had to be something wrong other than him. I still think hes the most talented QB we have physically. Even though the stats don't say that he's even decent.

The only thing I dissagree with Briscoe about, There was a reason why Taylor, Rogers, and his snaps were cut... its because they couldnt get open with Florida's Defensive tackles covering them. Where was Ward???? I love big wr's and i dont think he ever got in... I thought maybe Foolmer made him gain 50 lbs and moved him to DT hahaha.

Oh well. Things are going to change. Hopefully the only WR that plays from last year will be Gerald Jones.

TopProspect writes:

Wasn't Bricoe the one who Nick Stephens got in trouble for cussing him out on the sidelines?!? Remember when he didnt stretch out for a first down or dropped a pass... I cant remember which one it was. Or maybe he ran backwards after the catch... hell who knows when it comes to these WR's from the past.....

I thought it was funny but cpf didnt, he took stephens out for the rest of the game afterwords..

volfan1967 writes:

in response to volsfan22:

Casey Clausen (born January 9, 1981) is a former American football player who played college football for the University of Tennessee. He took over the starting position from A.J. Suggs.[1] Clausen started 44 of 47 games at the quarterback position in his career and had a 14-1 record on the road with a 34-10 record. HMMMMM looks like to me he was a pretty good player.

MidTennVol writes:

Wow. This is the most revealing article I've read about the entire regime change, even if it's just one player's opinions.

Briscoe's last comment will be born out with how Bowling Green does in the next few years. I predict they will win their conference sooner rather than later.

UTVol4Life80 writes:

in response to TopProspect:

One big thing that hurt us at QB this year(other than friggin' Clawson and his anaemic offense) was the fact that JCromp was slowed by nagging injuries all season long. For the majority of the year he had a sprained ankle on his plant foot and shoulder problems--both of which will affect throws in a major way.

JCromp looked impressive when he played in '06 and in '07. He didn't just all of a sudden forget how to play the game. He was highly touted out of HS and he will probably be our starter next year. Hopefully we will all see what a healthy JCromp can do.

Furthermore, behind JCromp we had ZERO experience. Heck, JCromp had only started a few games and threw for 498 yds his first 2 years. So JCromp was relatively inexperienced, Stephens had never played a down, and BJ was a frosh.

But when JCromp did play those first couple years he was impressive in Cut's offense. Remember everyone calling for Ainge's head and demanding JCromp? I say give him his shot...we have never had a complete bust at QB and I know JCromp isn't gonna be one.

For all the critics, I'd love to see JCromp light it up his senior campaign and prove everyone wrong...

CoverOrange writes:

Most telling. We suspected that, but for somebody to admit it is most telling.

I still maintain, had the refs called the safety correctly against UCLA, Wyoming would have been a win and Fulmer would have remained after a 7-5 season. Little things make a difference.

volunteers4life writes:

butterflies

southernson writes:

What if you had a two year plan, to pay you bills?

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to nicksjuzunk#646117:

Buahaha.. let me know when he wins anything. I 'll wait right here.

suttree writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

Buahaha.. let me know when he wins anything. I 'll wait right here.

His Richmond Spiders (his recruits, his scheme . . that UR players were competent enough to run) . . just won the FCS national title. He will thrive at Bowling Green and eventually be back on our radars in the way that Meyer and Saban are.

Even the Clawson haters should be happy that he helped expedite the Fulmer exodus and usher in the Kiffin era.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to BigOrangeVol:

Quit being an idiot. Foolmoore was no coach. And when he stopped getting the top talent you saw how bad he really was. And bless these players hearts. They had to think to much. Oh boo hoo

volcycle writes:

"MrBamSeydu writes:

First of all, there's no such thing as a "2 year plan". When you come into a school like UT in the SEC, you should compete right away. Not only did the offense not compete, it was one of the worst in school history. There is no excuse for that period."

Yeah, that's why Alabama won the west in Saban's first year.....

Einstein writes:

If Phil had given the job of Offensive Coordinator to Trooper Taylor, he would stll be the Coach at Tennessee and we would have been in a Bowl Game. Dave Clawson was a total DIASTER.

99gator writes:

who was it who said before the season that they wouldn't know what they were doing until the spring of 2009? that, it would take some time with a new coordinator who was running a completely new system.

i wonder who that was.

based on his comments.....they didn't understand what they were doing, didn't believe in it, and when it was failing......quit. it's that simple.

well, the spring of 2009 is here. and they will have a whole new system to learn......on both sides of the ball.

good news is the kiffins didn't come from richmond, so the players might believe the kiffins know what they are doing.

imjustafan writes:

Briscoe trying out for the NFL? Good luck because he couldn't have started at any other SEC school. Some schools he wouldn't have even played.

GO VOLS!

MusicMan25 writes:

Get this hack out of Knoxville. Can't catch, can't run, can't quit from laughing while getting pounded.

Looks like he belongs in the band, not on the football field.

Briscoe is an embarassment to the team, and it is the perfect example of the type of players I hope Lane Kiffin refuses to bring in. No talent whiners.