Spring game set for April 18; UT will charge $5

Tennessee's spring football game has been set for April 18 at Neyland Stadium. Kickoff for the Orange and White game will be at 3 p.m.

The day will begin with Fan Day at Haslam Field, including an autograph session with the team from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. The first 7,500 fans will receive a free fan pack.

There has been no charge for fans to attend the game the last two years. However, UT will charge $5 for general admission to this year's game.

UT said all proceeds will go to the University of Tennessee Knoxville campus.

“There is a lot of excitement around the new coaching staff and this gives our fans the opportunity to get a sneak peak of what’s to come in the fall,” said UT athletic director Mike Hamilton.

Tickets will be available online at UTsports.com on Feb. 2 and at the recruiting celebrations in Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis on Feb. 5.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

absolutevolfan (Inactive) writes:

CAN'T WAIT

tennesseeike writes:

Good deal. Should bring in a few thousand dollars to offset the cost of buyouts,etc.

GotPearl writes:

Well that should net about $500,000 for the University! Do the ushers get Hot Dogs?

GerryOP writes:

Hmmmm ... April 18th? Might be a good time to visit K'town!

nicksjuzunk#646117 writes:

Shoot far!! I could buy me some pork rinds and an IBC root beer for that!!

Now is where all of us who never even attend the O & W game complain about the price.

GerryOP writes:

232

NoogaVol55 writes:

I got no problem with $5....can't wait!!

blitzshoot writes:

Flying up from Florida for this one. UT fans should break
Alabama's record of 92,000.

bowlinggreenvol writes:

Grann's deal has been finalized rivals is reporting. He's set to be RB coach and special teams coach. Seems to be "breaking" news since KNS hasn't reported it, haha.

Maverick1921 writes:

I guess that seals Stan Drayton's fate right???

blitzshoot writes:

in response to bowlinggreenvol:

Didn't think Auburn's special teams were any good?

DroopyDrawers writes:

in response to Banned:

Without the University of Tennessee and UT Sports, there would be no Knoxville. I have no problem with $5.00. Should be more.

allvol9 writes:

I will gladly pay $5 to help out UT and to cheer on our team and new coaches. Can't wait!

govols87 writes:

Gran news has been all over volnation.com all morning...kns is awful

utkedu writes:

in response to blitzshoot:

Didn't think Auburn's special teams were any good?

I am not sure about Auburn's Special Teams, but the performance from their running backs has been strong over the years and Gran brought many of his recruits from the South Florida area where he has some major in-roads. With this staff, we really have increased our ability to hunt in other SEC school's back yards like we haven't since the mid 90's.

Volchaz writes:

$5 to go to the University, ok..no problemo...
Bring on Gran AND Wilson....

Kiffin_fan writes:

in response to Kiff_Daddy:

how many times per month do you send yours????

Volunatic writes:

in response to Maverick1921:

I guess that seals Stan Drayton's fate right???

Hopefully so. We don't need a recruiter who ever encouraged recruits to look elsewhere. Besides, he wasn't a very good position coach, based on results here or down in florida.

crappieking writes:

They should charge $15. With 90,000 people, that's 1.35 million. That's enough to get rid of Hamilton.

Volunatic writes:

in response to blitzshoot:

Didn't think Auburn's special teams were any good?

He's a good RB coach, it seems. Ronnie Brown, Carnell Williams, Kenny Irons, Rudi Johnson-- all in the NFL. That's pretty good resume material.

ctownvol writes:

I'd pay $5 to see two dogs take a bath.

99gator writes:

don't think you will like what you see.

i think kiffin is placing an emphasis on people who can recruit on his staff for a reason.

i really believe talent is a problem and the more i think about it, the more i believe you will be even more angry at fulmer in 2009 than 2008.

qb is still a major issue. i know this, it won't look any better by the spring game. it will take a bit longer than that.

based on what i saw with the "clawfense", there are three possibilities. 1. clawson and the offensive staff were horrible coaches. 2. the players lack talent. 3. the players were too dumb to pick it up.

if it's 2 or 3, tenn is in trouble again.

i could go into greater detail if anyone wishes, but i think 2009 will not be much better than 2008.

tenn will go bowling however.

Kiffin_fan writes:

in response to ctownvol:

I'd pay $5 to see two dogs take a bath.

Thanks for ruining my keyboard LMAO!!!! that's funny

nwcs writes:

Anyone know if they'll let you in with a DSLR and a telephoto lens? I'd love to take some action shots.

mattfriedman58#226364 writes:

$5 to see what team Kiffin has been able to do with our talent?? Sign me up! Worth every penny!

sayhitomaggie writes:

I wonder if the students will get in free?

Doubtful but I'm hoping. Haha.

rockytopspottedbirgdog writes:

in response to Volunatic:

also Duece McCallister when Gran was at Ole Miss

ctownvol writes:

in response to Kiffin_fan:

Thanks for ruining my keyboard LMAO!!!! that's funny

Sorry about the keybord. Glad you thought it was funny.

givehim6 writes:

Sounds go to me, lest year under Fulmore when students had to pay there was a big fuss raised this year lots of people are ok, see what a new coach & staff will do! Good running game, great, all we need now is a good line to open some running lanes up.

Kiffin_fan writes:

in response to ctownvol:

Sorry about the keybord. Glad you thought it was funny.

I am using the on-screen keyboard right now. It's okay i'll get another one tomorrow...

southernson writes:

ILL take 8 and 16 hot dogs, 8 cokes 4 nachos. IM THERE

ctownvol writes:

in response to Kiffin_fan:

It's a shame. We lose more good keyboards that way.

Kiffin_fan writes:

in response to Kiff_Daddy:

we will stomp fl. this year. remember the press conference ROCKYTOP ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

Kiffin_fan writes:

in response to ctownvol:

It's a shame. We lose more good keyboards that way.

AMEN to that

Kiffin_fan writes:

ytasdfghjklmnbvcxzy th nly ltts avalabl

Bass_Vol_1998 writes:

in response to Kiff_Daddy:

First, I don't care what the Gator thinks. He probably thought they would cream ole miss this year.

I feel that talent is there- unfortunately Crompton is probably a bust. On top of that Clawson was not a great playcaller. how many times did we play action right into a corner blitz?

Bass_Vol_1998 writes:

I am super psyched about this season (and glad they didn't move the game to chat)

I believe that we can turn the corner faster than most realize. With only minor improvement on offense- we would have won 3 more games this year. With significant improvement- the sky is the limit.

I think Coleman will have a chance to start this year- he is the prototypical qb that Lane would recruit... and BJ did not exactly get his shot last year. Stevens has potential, but did not capitalize on his opportunity last year (he was 2nd string for a reason).

All in all, we should be pleasantly surprised about the 2009 season

ethanfrome writes:

in response to 99gator:

don't think you will like what you see.

if it's 2 or 3, tenn is in trouble again.

tenn will go bowling however.

People will be angry at Fulmer next year when they see certain key offensive players whose talents were diversified into oblivion in 2008 actually perform. We will still have issues, but I believe there will be a noticeable improvement.

99gator writes:

in response to Bass_Vol_1998:

1. i do not make posts to agitate or make anyone angry.

2. i will take the pepsi challenge with my predictions compared to most others i see.

but, i am warning the "everything will be fine now that fulmer the idiot is gone" crowd......

it will get better. but, it won't get a whole lot better in 2009.

and that's not really going out on too big of a limb.

Agee_Vols_82 writes:

another coach signed!!!! almost complete...

blitzshoot writes:

in response to 99gator:

don't think you will like what you see.

if it's 2 or 3, tenn is in trouble again.

tenn will go bowling however.

99. It was three. The complex offensive scheme could not be understood. They had to water it down so much, not a lot left.
It will be three years be UT starts upgrading the whole lot, but I think Kiffin is on the way and understands why UT went 5-7. Like he said, " I get it."

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to nwcs:

There's gonna be action? That worth $5 just by itself!

I wonder if we'll be favored? I've heard these boys from Spring are pretty good.

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to Kosmo:

Thanks Kosmo...I now have to go change my pants.

Bass_Vol_1998 writes:

in response to 99gator:

1. i do not make posts to agitate or make anyone angry.

it will get better. but, it won't get a whole lot better in 2009.

and that's not really going out on too big of a limb.

your name alone is agitating.

your predictions are that UF will be better in 09 than 08 (I guess they will win the super bowl next year)

I think they will do worse.

You have underestimated that talent at UT. We have talent to compete and win.

Playcallng is more important than most people realize. This is why i'm happy to see no more 3rd and chavis. Mullens departure (if he called the plays) will hurt more than you hope. He may have been a huge part of Urbans success- dating back to Boise state. I also hope charlie strong gets a better offer.

Bass_Vol_1998 writes:

in response to 99gator:

1. i do not make posts to agitate or make anyone angry.

it will get better. but, it won't get a whole lot better in 2009.

and that's not really going out on too big of a limb.

"it will get better. but, it won't get a whole lot better in 2009"

Well duh it will get better. This tied for worst season ever.

I think we will at least get a new years day bowl.

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to Agee_Vols_82:

another coach signed!!!! almost complete...

If we get Wilson, that will satisfy the "We need a black coach" crowd. I personally think it helps to have a black coach, but the bottom line is we need the best. If they all have a skin color of purple...so be it. What positions are left to be filled? DB coach is all I can think of.

99gator writes:

in response to Bass_Vol_1998:

your name alone is agitating.

I think they will do worse.

You have underestimated that talent at UT. We have talent to compete and win.

i said 2009 would be better than 2008 long before most......before the 2008 season and there is a reason.

florida winning the 2008 national title (while believed to be in the realm of possibility) was a pleasant surprise.

you don't win national titles with a bunch of sophomores on defense.

how many teams win a national title and return all eleven starters and all eleven backups on defense.

now, because that is a reality and not guesswork......yes, with tebow back and the whole defense.....florida will be better.

the only thing that may be a problem is injuries.

99gator writes:

in response to Bass_Vol_1998:

your name alone is agitating.

I think they will do worse.

You have underestimated that talent at UT. We have talent to compete and win.

regarding the talent currently at tennessee......

who on the roster (besides eric berry) starts at tennessee during the mid to late 90's?

that's all you really need to know.

blitzshoot writes:

I just hope the Orange / White game does not end in a tie.