Phillips learns more, ready to make Kiffin proud

How would you rate UT's football recruiting class?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Tennessee commitment Aubrey Phillips already knew plenty about the Vols’ campus when he took his official visit this weekend.

That’s why Phillips used his trip to learn more about the people at UT.

The 6-foot-6, 310-pound offensive lineman from Olive Branch (Miss.) High School was hosted by junior defensive end Chris Walker.

Phillips said he talked to Walker about the changes at UT under new coach Lane Kiffin.

“He was telling me about all the new coaches and said they were cool,” Phillips said of talking to Walker. “We’re going to work hard and turn things around.

“I want to play for an SEC championship. That’s what I want to do.”

Phillips found out he was wanted by UT fans during the basketball game at Thompson Boling Arena on Saturday.

After a timeout was called, UT’s football staff and the weekend’s group of official visitors walked to their seats.

Vol fans responded by applauding the coaches and prospects.

“It was awesome,” Phillips said. “I’d never experienced anything like that in my life.”

Phillips now plans to experience his two remaining official visits.

Phillips plans to visit Florida State next weekend and Mississippi State on Jan. 30.

Auburn is also trying to convince Phillips to give the Tigers a look.

Phillips said before he left Knoxville he talked to Kiffin about taking two more visits.

“He said to have fun and he’s not worried about anything.” Phillips said. “He said have fun with it. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Phillips said he still believes his best opportunity is at UT.

That’s because Kiffin is offering Phillips a chance to play early for the Vols.

“He’s ready for me to come up there and make a great impact,” Phillips said. “I’m ready to make him proud.”

Related Stories

WiseVol writes:

This sounds good!

TNfaninMS writes:

HE IS A VOL TOO!!!!!!!! COUNT ON IT!!!!!!!!!!

TommyJack writes:

six six, 310. Wait til they bulk him up.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

I can't wait GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

cainclifton23 writes:

He moved up a star too.

Kiffin really seams like he knows how to relate to the players.

and Having Family in Fresno, they say his practices have a very upbeat tempo and are very competitve.

Maybe now we can get the young talent on the field

gohawks1 writes:

Keep 'em coming!

Ringside writes:

Awesome news. What a difference three months make. Get'm Kiff!

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

MY son played college baseball, can they give partial scolorships like they do in baseball

cainclifton23 writes:

in response to GREATVOLSAFIRE:

They can, but who would take a partial scholarship when they have so many fulloffers else where.

it is a rare thing.

Either full ride or walk on

utmdm writes:

Enjoy the trips fellow, but dont let the glib tongues sway you from the great opportunity you have with the Vols.

cainclifton23 writes:

Inside a day of Tennessee recruiting

Read!

Vol43 writes:

Build it; they will come!!!!

cainclifton23 writes:

WHEW.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

He ain't done growin' yet, boys!

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

FWBVol writes:

in response to GREATVOLSAFIRE:

The reason for partial scholarships on baseball is schools only have something like 11.7 scholarships to go around for the whole team. When a college team has something like 20-22 players on the roster that makes things tough for baseball and makes partial schollies a necessity.

Football, I believe and someone correct me if I'm wrong is allowed to have 85 players on scholarship at a time. If someone gets hurt and can no longer play a school can continue to pay that scholarship, but it doesn't count against the 85.

vol1994 writes:

there is an ESPN artilce about the vols and coach O stating the vols are sooo behind in recruiting, even the 2010 class. However, the article said do NOT be surprised if UT somehow lands a top 10 class this year b/c most teams are set with their scholarships while UT still has about 8 or more open slots.

2010- we need a QB DESPERATELY and the same article states the top three have already committed to other powerhouses.
Of course those are verbal commits and we know how that is.

MidTennVol writes:

in response to cainclifton23:

Inside a day of Tennessee recruiting

Read!

Thanks for that, baseball. Good read.

cainclifton23 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

Its 70 player on scholarship.

drwfocus#660070 writes:

in response to vol1994:

Of course those are verbal commits and we know how that is.

What would you expect ESPN to say about Tennessee? Of course the VOLS are behind, what has it been 6 weeks for CLK, less for the others? Anyway we will get a few on signing day that will surprise - top 10?, top 15? even a top 20 class, whatever, we will be fine.
Probably 75% of the prospects that are committing this year committed to other schools in '07 - '08 as juniors. Same will happen in 2010.

volfan1967 writes:

in response to cainclifton23:

Its 70 player on scholarship.

No it's 85 scholarships in football for D1.

givehim6 writes:

Sounds awasome to me,wish there was not anymore visits to other schools.

FWBVol writes:

I like the fact that Kiffin is encouraging prospects, even those who have committed, to take all their visits. It tells me three important things about Kiffin. The first is he's confident what Tennessee offers is better than anything a kid will find anywhere else. Second he doesn't feel threatened by someone taking other visits. Third it tells me he wants the kids to be sure that Tennessee is the best place for them and he knows the only way they can be is to see what the other schools have to offer on official visits.

Louisvol8859 writes:

in response to vol1994:

Of course those are verbal commits and we know how that is.

That is the top 3 for the ESPN 150 for 2010. Other services have not even ranked players yet. Jake Heaps for one has not committed, and he will visit us. Reaves was recruitting him at USCe so they have a relationship. Heaps even said this in an article. There is a kid from Colorado that has not committed who just won the best QB at the Army JR combine. Barry Brunetti was graded as throwing the deep ball, and will be highly rated. He is an instate guy, who will visit. I think we will be fine.

tnbigg writes:

Great news! Keep it roling...

tngivem6 writes:

Sign 'em, sign 'em, sign em
BIG ORANGE MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!

MYdoodysORANGE writes:

He is huge! Move them big guy!

in response to FWBVol:

I'm pretty sure you are right about that. The number of scollys a school can offer in a given sport is limited by the NCAA, and in football the number is 85 for active players. In sports like baseball, they are split up so the maximum number can get SOME benefit from playing the sport.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Thanks for the scolarship info

cowvols writes:

in response to cainclifton23:

Inside a day of Tennessee recruiting

Read!

great link

bluetick writes:

in response to cainclifton23:

Inside a day of Tennessee recruiting

Read!

Nice! I love reading things like that. Can we get someone to recruit this writer? Seems we have the manpower to do so. :)

yeavols#228407 writes:

These are the good stories we like to hear to help build our program back up and to re-gain the respect from other schools and players across the country. Great to hear this one.

allvol9 writes:

We need you Aubrey. Glad you want to wear the orange! Welcome.

InBruceWeTrust writes:

Does anyone know of any recruiting websites other than rivals, scout, and espn?

yeavols#228407 writes:

Forgive me again..but I would like everyone to see and enjoy:

NEWSFLASH- N1UP is flying in and landing into the heart of ALABAMA....GO Coach K GO!! Reel em in! Make BAMA squirm.

smashmouth98 writes:

We need you Big Man!!!! Come on to K-town

philfan writes:

Kiffin had better get his skinny little behind in gear. I checked Rivals a minute ago and we were ranked 15, with 5 SEC schools ranking above us. You Kiffin apologists had better start thinking of excuses for him. I am not. He had better finish at least 8-4 his first year with the money we are paying his family. The honeymoon may be over sooner than you think.

in response to philfan:

There never WAS a honeymoon for you! Your screen name says it all. The reason we are behind those other schools, and I'm not at all sure that is where we'll finish, is that YOUR guy wasn't doing all that well to begin with for this year. CLK has kept nearly all of ex-CPF's recruits, at least the ones he thought could help us, and has gotten us in on any number of others who wouldn't have given CPF's staff the time of day. You really ought to read the article someone posted a link to on another thread about Coach Orgeron and his approach to recruiting. You will see that CLK and his staff were about a year or more behind our rivals the day he signed on. The test of the kind of coach CLK will be won't be until AT LEAST the end of next season. The test for what kind of recruiters we have won't be until Signing Day, 2010. We get it that you don't like CLK; maybe you ought to question whether you want to continue as a Vol fan. If you decide not to, we won't miss you.

philfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

You did as I asked. You apologized for Kiffin's shortcomings. I still think that 8-4 is a reasonable expectation for next year, since it is the man's first year and the schedule is relatively easy.

If my handle is bothering everyone, maybe I need to change it.

Orangeblood13 writes:

bring it man, wear the orange!

iwastherein98 writes:

in response to philfan:

If my handle is bothering everyone, maybe I need to change it.

Your boy Fulmer has two losing seasons in a handful of years and yet you will expect nothing less than 8-4 from the new staff.

Go root for someone else if that's how you feel. We are alumni of a great university, not a coach. At least I am.

Basketball_Jones writes:

in response to philfan:

If my handle is bothering everyone, maybe I need to change it.

Philfan will be the guy at work tomorrow complaining about why Obama hasn't fixed his 401k plan yet as well as ensure his mones value goes up on the 1st day in office.