Saban tells McCarron not to visit UT

Alabama coach Nick Saban seems to have a personal vendetta against Tennessee, which hired away Lance Thompson, his ace recruiter. Saban is reportedly telling prospects not to visit UT.

“(Saban) said he preferred I didn’t go to Tennessee for obvious reasons,” quarterback A.J. McCarron told BamaOnline.com. “He said he didn’t think it would look right and that he wasn’t comfortable with it. I told him I wouldn’t.

“He knows I’m going to Alabama, and he even told me if I want to visit Oklahoma, that’s fine because they aren’t an SEC rival.”

Another Alabama prospect, Pensacola, Fla., tailback Trent Richardson, will also not make the trip to Knoxville that he had been contemplating, although it appears it was as much about distance from home as it was about pleasing Saban.

It will be interesting to see how much influence Saban has over linebacker Tana Patrick from Stevenson, Ala., who is scheduled to visit UT next weekend.

A day after telling the News Sentinel he wasn’t taking any more official visits, UT tailback commitment David Oku reportedly visited Syracuse, according to Rivals.

The connection is clear: Oku was recruited by former UT running backs coach Stan Drayton, who joined the Orange last week.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

vols_fan_n_tx writes:

Saban's a coward

gvegasvol writes:

Phowell23 writes:

Would you expect him to say, go ahead and visit? Saban sounds like an arse here but he's doing what he needs to do to get his recruits.

cwisenhower#637741 writes:

Wow. First.

InBruceWeTrust writes:

in response to Phowell23:

Coach K isn't afraid to let his guys visit other schools.

He sounds worried to me.

caskew#218608 writes:

The first junk is getting kinda old....especially when you're not even first!!!

straightshooter writes:

Any young recruit with the slightest backbone would go visit whom every he wished regardless of what any coach would tell him. These recruits whom are appearing to appeal to his wishes had no real interest in coming to UT anyway I suspect. Were just thinking of taking a visit for the experience of it.

rockytopspottedbirgdog writes:

Didn't your parents teach you not to listen to SATAN

joshvols writes:

i hope tana patrick tells saban to shove it and makes the trip

ArealVolFan writes:

I don't get where Saban gets off doing this. Going to take an official visit to another school doesn't hurt anything. Recruits have every right to go visit other schools. We don't tell our guys to not go look other places. No one likes to see their commitments look elsewhere, but I'd rather have a guy that has seen other places and still decided that UT is the best place for him than a guy that hasn't seen other places to make an educated decision.

ect1983 writes:

in response to cwisenhower#637741:

Wow. First.

No Moron------you are 3d----but even if you were first, you'd still be a moron

Outdors21 writes:

I am pretty sure that Fulmer didn't want guys who already verbally committed making official visits elsewhere. I am not sure he was this adamant about it, but I know he frowned upon it.

I hate Saban.

orangeblood writes:

we don't need any running backs in this class anyway. The STORM is coming to knoxville next year

1vol writes:

I smell fear!!I'm glad Kiff tellls our boys to go look else where cause when they do come here they will take the orange to heart and work their tails off in the season and off season. I hate satan!!!!

tngl4ut writes:

Saban is such a jerk. No wonder his assistants leave every year and very few follow him around from job to job. I really wonder if these recruits will have the backbone to make up their own mine and visit whatever school they wanted too. If they are good enough to get an offer from Bama then they are good enough to have plenty of other offers.

VAvolfanRON writes:

Saban is getting alittle worried......

why else would he not encourage these kids to go?....Kiffin has confidence and class......I love it

EglinVOL writes:

in response to Phowell23:

I agree but Satan probably had that look in his eye and told the kid that if he visited he would have to re-evaluate his commitment to the football program...Every kid wants to be on coaches good side. Demons don't have a good side though...

VAvolfanRON writes:

I'm glad we have a confident coach. Saban is loosing his creditabilty.....

JohnnyVol writes:

I have not heard of Saban doing this prior to this year. It seems to me that there is some concern on Saban's part. If his product is as good as advertised, then why should he be so concerned about someone visiting UT?

Once again, I'm not aware of Saban ever doing this before. By the way, when he arrived at Alabama, he was making calls to the cell phones of UT players who were actually moving into the UT dorms. He was calling guys who were signed and moving in...

DingoVol writes:

I don't care about Saban. I am more concerned about Oku visiting Syracuse. That is not good.

1vol writes:

We know satan would not lie "How many times do I have to answer this question no I'm not going to be the coach of alabama next year".But don't worry it's year three he never stays much longer than that....

EglinVOL writes:

in response to DingoVol:

I second that!

TxFatBoy writes:

Saban is a crybaby! He knows that any recruit that visits UT may very well change his mind about the toilet paper brigade. No coach LIKES his commitments visiting other schools but if you've done your job and the school is the right fit then no need to worry.

Saban....you're a LOSER!

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to DingoVol:

Dingo, i see where you are coming from....but really, Syracuse?..lol

Hey, if they change their mind, it's there problem. We want VOLS.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to EglinVOL:

I second that!

WOW...and i thought i was too far away from Knoxville!!!!.....good morning, (i think)

EglinVOL writes:

Lyrics to my favorite song: This little ORANGE light of mine, I'm going to let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine. Satan tries to blow it out, GET OFF ME SATAN!!!!!, I'm going to let it shine....

It's pretty much my favorite ever... GO VOLS!!!

VAvolfanRON writes:

oops.....their problem..........hey, i only needed one year of english at UT

southernson writes:

SMMMMMMM SMMMMMMMM I SMELL FEAR, Fear taste s like CHICKEN you know..

EglinVOL writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

And good morning to you sir!! Sunday 9:30 a.m.

DennisVols writes:

If a head coach is trying to talk you out of visiting another collge it should be telling you one thing.
He believes the college you want to visit has more to offer than he does and he is afraid of losing you once you see that for yourself.

JBruce writes:

McCarron says, “He (Saban) knows I’m going to Alabama, and he even told me if I want to visit Oklahoma, that’s fine because they aren’t an SEC rival.”

It sounds like he is not taking visits because he is interested in the schools. Sounds like he is recruiting for Bama while taking a mini-vacation.

We are better off because he didnt come.

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to EglinVOL:

And good morning to you sir!! Sunday 9:30 a.m.

So, where are your season ticket seats??....lmao...

i love that Saban has no balls

volmaniac22 writes:

go suck a dick saban you sour pus*

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to ect1983:

No Moron------you are 3d----but even if you were first, you'd still be a moron

yeah, why clinton izenhower would want to advertise so his immaturity is beyond me---same goes for johnny mosely------but they are morons so guess that explains it

spencer1989#206886 writes:

So I have to wonder for a minute.....If the recruits did go ahead and take a visit to UT (over Saban's contolling commands) what would happen? Would he pull the scholarship offer? Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

EglinVOL writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

So, where are your season ticket seats??....lmao...

i love that Saban has no balls

Ha!! Wish I had some. I'll be home this year using somebody eles's seats, LOL

Nothing better than getting bammer fired up...

vol1994 writes:

I wasn't worried but.........
Oku had a good visit today with Syracuse and LOVES DRAYTON.
News up there is that the ORANGE have a good feeling this kid may sign with them. This reminds me of Simms signing with TX after committing to UT.

senracjr writes:

Saban is an A-- with no Class!

volfan_brian writes:

LMAO!! Thats right Saban! Be afraid! Be VERY AFRAID!!!!

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to vol1994:

I wasn't worried but.........
Oku had a good visit today with Syracuse and LOVES DRAYTON.

Ah....i totally forgot about Drayton......good point...

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to vol1994:

I wasn't worried but.........
Oku had a good visit today with Syracuse and LOVES DRAYTON.

But, then again..Syracuse is no texas!!!.....

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to vol1994:

I wasn't worried but.........
Oku had a good visit today with Syracuse and LOVES DRAYTON.

I would love to have Oku...but if he seriously thinks Syracuse is a comparable program and he is a better fit...good for him, and good for us. I am obviously biased, but I want recruits who want to be Vols and can realize the opportunity that is here for them. Would you rather play for a traditional powerhouse in the SEC or a doormat in the Big East. If you decide on Syracuse....dress warm Oku, you're not in Oklahoma anymore!!!

stevefrommemphis writes:

The only thing I ask from Kiffin and Company is to work a little harder and be a just a little bit better than Alabama 365 days per year, 366 in leap years. I don't care about Florida. I don't care about Georgia. Just outwork and outplay and beat Alabama.

rabblerowser writes:

in response to vols_fan_n_tx:

Saban's a coward

Might be but he beats UT

NoogaVol55 writes:

McCarron was never going to come here fellas. I was never excited about his possible change of heart. Although, Saban and his little man complex is quite amusing! Also, have you seen McCarron's haircut...he is a John Parker Wilson clone. Good luck to you kid, I hope you have as much success as Freddie Kitchens!

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to rabblerowser:

Might be but he beats UT

he does?.......if you are insunating that HE does and not Alabam...then you are correct.....But, Kiffen hasnt coached a game yet......so, what's your point?

VAvolfanRON writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

haven't seen his haircut...but the way you describe it...maybe could go to fla and play with cathalas (did i spell that right?)

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to VAvolfanRON:

utvol17 writes:

OKU = Syracuse = freeze your backside off from November thru March. Play for a losing team at least 3 of the 4 yrs. Positively never go to a major bowl. Wonder if anyone in his family counsels this kid?

oldvolsfan writes:

where is bama mouth on this one