Edwards pulls the trigger: He's a Vol

Mike Edwards

Mike Edwards

Mike Edwards signs with the Vols

Mike Edwards

Mike Edwards

Tennessee picked up its first football commitment in more than a month when Mike Edwards gave his pledge to be a Vol on Sunday.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound cornerback from Glenville High School in Cleveland, Ohio, made the commitment after returning home from an official visit to Knoxville. Edwards chose the Vols over Cincinnati and Minnesota.

Edwards told the News Sentinel on Sunday afternoon that he wasn’t ready to rank his schools, although he admitted UT “grabbed the most attention.”

After talking with his family, Edwards decided to call UT coach Lane Kiffin and commit.

“I went ahead and pulled the trigger for the simple fact that I felt like it’s the school for me all the way around academically, coaching wise and with the players,” Edwards said. “The players and the support system are just great.”

Edwards also saw the opportunity to play in a great conference, the SEC.

“It’s amazing because I looked at the SEC my whole life,” Edwards said. “I would always look at those teams and say, ‘Wow, what if I ever get to play against them or play on the same field as them.’

“Now I’ve got my shot so I’m going to take full advantage of it.”

Edwards now plans to help UT take advantage of the strong recruiting base at Glenville.

Edwards said he will try to sway his teammate, offensive lineman Marcus Hall, to UT.

Hall, who’s also considering Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois and Miami, plans to visit UT next weekend.

“I’m going to try to get him to be a Volunteer,” Edwards said.

Many believe Ohio State to be the team to beat for Hall’s services. Edwards doesn’t see it that way.

“A lot of people think that but I think Marcus is going to shock a lot of people,” Edwards said.

It was no shock that Edwards chose UT after his visit to Knoxville.

He told the News Sentinel earlier this month that he would likely commit to the Vols if he enjoyed his trip.

UT fans tried their best to make sure Edwards enjoyed his trip when he attended the Vols’ basketball game against Memphis at Thompson-Boling Arena on Saturday.

Edwards said he was surprised when UT fans called out his name.

“I was like, ‘Wow, I’m from Cleveland. How do they know me down here?’ ” Edwards said. “People there keep up with football.

“When we walked in all eyes were on us when the game was going on. That shows you the love they have for the football team.”

Edwards said he saw Monte Kiffin’s love for football while talking to UT’s new defensive coordinator this weekend.

It was the first meeting between Edwards and Kiffin.

“He’s a great person and a historic person,” Edwards said. “He’s a person I would respect whether I was coming to school there or not. The schemes he has, they look like they’re going to work.”

Edwards also knows about the work Lane Kiffin is putting in to help UT have success.

Kiffin’s determination has stood out to Edwards since they met last month.

“With a winning mindset you can’t beat that,” Edwards said. “You have a man like that and a person like me. I’ll do whatever I’ve got to do to be successful.”

That includes on the field and in the classroom.

Edwards said UT emphasized the importance of athletes taking care of their academics.

“It made me feel really good,” Edwards said. “Once I go to school I’ve got to take advantage of everything they offer and get my degree. Playing sports is my first option but I’ve got to get my degree, too.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Coach_Joe writes:

Should've figured we would get him. We were only competing with Cincinnatti and Minnesota. Either way, good job coaching staff!

MrBamSeydu writes:

This is what I was talking about.

I also heard Nyshier Oliver and Petey Smith committed?

pammyvol1000 writes:

Wa-hoo!! Welcome to Big Orange Country Mike!

abnerPeabody writes:

one small step for Edwards,one giant leap for U.T.

yeavols#228407 writes:

Welcome Edwards...May your journey be successful, go to class, study hard, win some games, be a team leader. After that, you just might get drafted into the NFL. You picked a good school that does that, you know. It's all beginning for you. Congrats on your decision.

hotrodvol writes:

That's great news. A very good player, from a very good school. That's all our coaching staff needs is thier foot in the door of this school.

yeavols#228407 writes:

No interlopers so far..YAHOOOOO

TNfaninMS writes:

in response to MrBamSeydu:

This is what I was talking about.

I also heard Nyshier Oliver and Petey Smith committed?

LINK? or conspiracy theroy?

memphis_vol_fan writes:

Sweeeeet!!! Nice to hear some good recruiting news after the disappointment on the bball court yesterday.
Welcome to K-town, Mike!

yeavols#228407 writes:

I take offense to the star rating system and who recruited whom. Utah had no huge star rating. Let's get one thing straight..Players who are left out in the cold, with a mission, with a good coach, and have a dream, anything can happen. When Utah stomped all over Bama's butt, no one gave them a chance. Let's give our players a chance, past and present, so that they too can be successful. It only stands to reason.

Hickmc writes:

Man I hope this is the beginning of a Big Time recruiting class..........

hotrodvol writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

No interlopers so far..YAHOOOOO

When they show up just say no, skip 'em. Let 'em take thier crack some place else.

TNfaninMS writes:

That Smith kid would look real good at DE. We have enough LB's but I guess he would look good in the middle too. Hope we get him too and steal him from Bammer

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to MrBamSeydu:

This is what I was talking about.

I also heard Nyshier Oliver and Petey Smith committed?

I thought Oliver was committed to Notre Dame. When did he decommit?

huntined#565710 writes:

Good to have you here Mike you made the right choice
From this day forward you will always be a VOL!!!

CHS52VOL writes:

Getting so excited...we're finally getting solid commitments
..think I will go out and order a case of Red Bull myself!
Sic'em Vols!

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to hotrodvol:

That's a message worth repeating and posting again.

nivatne writes:

Hate to say it, but just read an article on VolQuest and Petey Smith sounds like he is headed to Bama. Stinks, kid has to go play for Nick Satan, I mean Saban.

nivatne writes:

Hate to say it, but just read an article on VolQuest, and Smith sure sounds like he is headed to Bama. Stinks, he has to go play for Nick Satan, I mean Saban.

TommyJack writes:

Yeah, babee!

carsontwin writes:

This is going to be an exciting year! I cant wait to see the intensity in the stadium! How great is this! Go Vols!!!

wildberry14 writes:

well beating out cincinnati and minnesoata is hardly anything to celebrate. but being able to recruit kids from glenville is. thats big

carsontwin writes:

GO BIG ORAGNE!!!
This year is going to be awsome!

volroadwarrior writes:

Welcome to UT Mike.

Voluvr writes:

in response to mempuss:

Tennessee has in 2 months become the GO TO school for NFL wanabees. You already see many that made commitments early, to decide to see what going on at Tennessee. These new guys are going to be a part of something very special in sports overall.

T_VOLZ writes:

Any news on the other visitors? I think edwards is going to be a steal.

gohawks1 writes:

Show them Neyland, and they will come.

madvillevol writes:

in response to MrBamSeydu:

This is what I was talking about.

I also heard Nyshier Oliver and Petey Smith committed?

Where did you hear that?? The only thing I've been hearing is that Petey Smith is all Alabama. I've also heard Oliver is pretty solid with Notre Dame

cobbwebb writes:

would be real sweet if this kid could work on marcus hall, and get him in orange as well!

cobbwebb writes:

did you guys hear something?

randzimm#255981 writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

Utah is a very good example of how players that are not listed as the highest talent but are coached fundamentally well and are disciplined and using the proper football technique while understanding what they are physically able to do. Knowing your assignment on the field is what it is all about, especially on defense. This is what stood out to me watching Bama play defense this year. Do you remember that Air Force game when we lost Inky? UT had the superior talent, but Air Force was very disciplined and it was a dog fight. I hope we get the best talent possible, but I would not be unhappy if we average 3.75 stars as a total class out of 5 either, as long as the coaches will bring back the much needed discipline that the Vols have seemed to lack over several years. Coach the kids up, and have them play with confidence and swagger!! GO VOLS!!

annemarie writes:

in response to Hickmc:

Man I hope this is the beginning of a Big Time recruiting class..........

Hick, things are looking better & better - as you once told me - keep the faith!

lomas98 writes:

in response to Coach_Joe:

Only competing with Cincy and Minnesota, but those 2 coaches were at the top of UT's radar for the coaching search. Some said on here that Brewster or Kelly could run circles around Kiffin.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to gatorzz:

This has been declared an interloper free zone.

Please proceed to the highlighted route.

You are welcome there.

VolJunkie writes:

"The decision is hardly a surprise. Edwards had long said UT was his leader."

Always good news when you land the ones you are supposed to.

Go Vols!

T_VOLZ writes:

in response to gatorzz:

rockytop#413695 writes:

in response to gatorzz:

Wow! Nothing new to say? How many times have you posted this? We are always excited to be a Vol no matter what! Just think. What a miserable life we would have if we had to be Gators.

volwalk writes:

Illinois and Michigan had offers, as well. Nice pick up and should help open up the pipeline in this area.

Welcome aboard Edwards--bring some friends.

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to cobbwebb:

did you guys hear something?

BUAHAHAH that's great..I didn't hear anything..did anyone else?

VolPatrick writes:

in response to T_VOLZ:

Oh, this is full of win!

Bwahahahaha!

randzimm#255981 writes:

from espn...

Evaluation

Edwards brings adequate-to-good size, toughness and athleticism to the corner position. He is tall, athletically-built and very long; still has much physical developing to do to assist his run support and press-man skills. Played with a big cushion in most of the films we viewed but showed fluid zone turns and good transitional quickness turning and running with receivers on vertical routes; recovery speed is good not great. Closes quickly on underneath throws and shows a similar burst breaking under the deep throw. Long-stride allows him to cover a lot of ground and provide good range in both run and pass support. Displayed good technique in his limited action playing press-man. Utilized his arms to jam and ride the hip securing inside leverage and staying between the ball and receiver. We like his aggressiveness on run support. Chases down ball carriers with a high motor and does a good job filling his perimeter run quickly slipping the cutoff block. Our main concern when projecting for the next level is his lack of great speed. He is football fast on the field but does not project well if locked down on an island versus faster receivers at the next level. Needs to build up his body with added strength and bulk to match up versus bigger receivers as well. Could struggle battling for positioning on the jump ball and rerouting off the line. Flashes difficulty solidly tackling bigger backs at times. Overall, Edwards is a competitor at the position with good skills not great; projects best in heavy zone schemes where he can utilize his good nose for the football and react to plays underneath him.
Notes

Holding over 12 scholarship offers (October 2008, Bucknuts.com). 2007: Recorded over 40 tackles and intercepting three passes...

yeavols#228407 writes:

oops..looks like the interloper got his wish..someone responded to his comment..dang..and it was going so well..

gohawks1 writes:

Ignore them, and they will go.

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to volster:

Oh not everyone is after him..Florida and Bama isn't but everyone else is..oh and he only has 3 stars..guess he's not worth anything..I bet gatorzz wouldn't tell it to his face though..coward as he is..

invisiblekid writes:

in response to yeavols#228407:

Don't let the trolls get to you. The less airtime these jokers get from the legitimate posters, the better.

This is a good pickup for the Vols and could open up some new recruiting territory as well. Glad to have Edwards aboard, I think he could be a bit of a sleeper athletically and he has a great pedigree coming from Glenville.

dc_4_ut writes:

in response to gatorzz:

Z,
Have you seen this film?

The kid is a athlete. Good offensive skill set. Many OH insiders are saying he is the best lockdown corner in the state. We are going after some sleepers this year and this is DEFINITELY one of them...

Hickmc writes:

Mike if you by chance read this, thank you for coming to Knoxville Tennessee. We are very excited to have you join our team. And though I haven't had the opportunity to meet him I believe Eric Berry would be a very good teammate to follow his lead. I remember when his dad James played at UT. God Bless and God Speed........

movol53 writes:

Just a couple of thoughts. I seldom post so here goes.
No one is committed until they sign on the dotted line!!!!
So these 18 - 19 year olds can change their mind any time.
So everyone one them is fair game!!!!! I would rather have a 2 or 3 star WITH heart than a 4 or 5 star who thinks the world "owes him something". Those stars don't measure heart. I agree with the post about Utah; few if any of those players were highly recruited but they wanted to play for Utah (same goes for BYU and Air Force). You can Coach'em up if they have the heart and desire. From Springfield, Missouri - - - Good Day!! And Go Vols!!!
(Boy rough weekend on the hardwood for both teams - -they're young I hope they are learning from these lossess!!!)

invisiblekid writes:

in response to MrBamSeydu:

This is what I was talking about.

I also heard Nyshier Oliver and Petey Smith committed?

Nothing confirmed, but Oliver sounds like a done deal to me.

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to invisiblekid:

Ya I know...I am advocating that we by pass the interloping booze bag..I better not break my own rule..thanks for the reminder