Hooker: Vols improve stock with weekend visitors

With 16 official visitors in town this weekend, it's obvious that Tennessee's coaching staff has been burning the midnight oil.

Here's a breakdown of the weekend's guests and what chances the Vols have of securing their signatures on National Signing Day on Feb. 4.:

Jarrett Brown - Because this defensive end from Bowie High School in Arlington, Texas, is a late-rising prospect, UT isn't far behind other schools - Utah, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Michigan, Miami, South Carolina and Clemson - that have recruited him.

The Vols have a real shot but they'll have to overcome Kansas State, which is thought to be Brown's leader.

Michael Edwards - This defensive back from Cleveland, Ohio, has long said UT leads for his services, so it was no surprise when he committed to UT this weekend.

Shane Gordon - A new entry on UT's recruiting board, who knows where the Vols stand with this linebacker from Weston, Fla. Still, UT is one of the most prominent schools on Gordon's list, which includes South Florida, Pittsburgh and Ole Miss; so don't be surprised if the Vols secure Gordon.

James Green - There's no reason to think that this receiver from Tallahassee, Fla., won't sign with UT. Green committed to UT shortly after Lane Kiffin was hired and hasn't visited elsewhere.

Kendrick Hardy - This tailback from Monticello, Miss., has picked Southern Miss over more prominent programs. UT will have to make a strong push to change his mind.

Alshon Jeffrey - This Southern California commitment has expressed too much concern about distance from home for me to believe he'll sign with the Trojans.

I think this one comes down to UT and South Carolina - and I'd give the Vols a slight advantage to land this receiver from Calhoun County (S.C.) High. Still, predicting Jeffrey's intentions is tough; he's playing it close to the vest.

Morgan Moses - Most everyone thought UT was the team to beat for Moses before its coaching change.

Now, one of the elite offensive linemen in the nation is giving UT another look, which should have the Vols encouraged.

Watch out for Virginia with former UT assistant coach Latrell Scott, who has a strong relationship with Moses.

Darren Myles Jr. - I'd be surprised if this defensive back from Carver (Ga.) High ended up at UT. Alabama and LSU seem tough to beat and his father played at Purdue.

Nyshier Oliver - Just getting this defensive back from Jersey City, N.J., to visit UT was a major accomplishment.

Oliver was once a UT commitment before changing his mind and committing to Notre Dame. It's a two-horse race and the Vols are clearly in contention.

Kevin Revis - This committed offensive lineman from Rhea County is as solid to UT as any prospect on the Vols' board.

JerQuari Schofield - This mammoth lineman from South Aiken (S.C.) High reaffirmed his commitment to UT this weekend. He'll sign with UT, although Clemson can't be overlooked considering how well the Tigers have recruited against the Vols lately.

D.T. Shackleford - This linebacker from Decatur, Ala., said he'll likely announce his final decision this week after a good visit to Knoxville. Looks as if he'll stay committed to UT but Auburn and Ole Miss won't give up easily.

Petey Smith - This fireplug linebacker from Seffner, Fla., was down to Auburn and Alabama before he decided to visit UT.

Smith eliminated UT when he felt slighted by the Vols last month. Evidently, UT is still interested and now the Vols have assistant coaches from Auburn and Alabama that have ties to Smith.

Marsalis Teague - This athlete from Henry County High in Paris, Tenn., declined an interview with the News Sentinel on Sunday. That makes one think he's genuinely conflicted.

Florida is still the team to beat but there's hope for the Vols.

Damien Thigpen - A solid commitment, this speedster from Stonewall Jackson High in Manassas, Va., hasn't even looked at other schools since making his pledge to UT.

Quinton Washington - This offensive lineman from Timberland High in St. Stephen, S.C., is still considering several schools.

UT has a shot, but keep an eye on Washington's in-state schools: South Carolina and Clemson.

Dave Hooker covers recruiting. He may be reached at hookerd@knoxnews.com.

JKW50 writes:

Would be nice to sign them all up.

montanavolfan writes:

Gator Hater
Bammer Dammer
Vol Fan

VolJoe writes:

I hope we pick up a couple of these guys on the fence

Maverick1921 writes:

Excellent coverage Mr. Hooker. Thanks for the update and keep up the good work!

volsmith writes:

I think Bush is committed to Texas.

Pullingguard writes:

What happens if your committments come signing day are below the scholarships allowed and you miss the allowed number ... What happens then... Wait until next year or take lesser qualified players to fill allowed number of signees..

DennisVols writes:

A Talented Coaching Staff assembled
A Talented Recruiting class being assembled
It's Great to be a Tennessee Vol.
I say it's Great to be a Tennessee Vol
Go Vols

NoogaVol55 writes:

Any word on how Jeffrey's visit went??? He would be awesome at UT. If M. Brown decides else where, a Jeffrey type player is a must. Any word Rich?? You seem to have some good inside knowledge on this kind of stuff. In case anybody missed the coaches at the B-Ball game..see below...I can't take credit 1 vol or vol 1 posted this earlier...I can't remember the username..

DennisVols writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

If UT doesn't use all the scholarships it has to offer then they will just have that many more to use next year.
I don't think that will be an issue though.

CHS52VOL writes:

Solid, informative article. Thank you, Mr. Hooker. The list is impressive - hope we get 'em all!

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to DennisVols:

A Talented Coaching Staff assembled
A Talented Recruiting class being assembled
It's Great to be a Tennessee Vol.
I say it's Great to be a Tennessee Vol
Go Vols

Amen Brother!!!

RoadTrip writes:

in response to DennisVols:

A Talented Coaching Staff assembled
A Talented Recruiting class being assembled
It's Great to be a Tennessee Vol.
I say it's Great to be a Tennessee Vol
Go Vols

Ditto!

Hurry up and get 'em in here so they can start running with the big dogs!

Go Vols!

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Good question..however I never heard of having too many players and not enough scholarships..there are walk-ons who eventually earn scholarships or those that pay their own way. There are also those who get kicked off the team for various reasons that open up scholarships and those that get redshirted I believe we will have enough scholarships for those highly recruited players.

kwlightmin#206976 writes:

Wondering if anybody can answer a couple of off topic questions for this Bristol Vol fan? There's a OL out of Knox Catholic named Hood. Anybody know if he's gonna be a Vol? Volquest shows that we've offered him. Secondly, there's a couple of Juco guys (Rufus Williams and Corey Hall) both are defensive players. Volquest shows them as having UT high. Hall's actually got the size to be a DT though he is listed at DE. Williams is listed as LB though I think he'd move to DE. I think they actually committed to UT a couple of years ago, but didn't qualify academically. Do they already have scholarships, should we expect them at Tennessee?

andy112382#209793 writes:

Nice report, glad to have some recruiting updates, thanks Dave!

wjr2b2 writes:

Anyone have any news on Miles,Jr? A legit safety is going to be a must next year, assuming EB goes pro.

cobbwebb writes:

in response to kwlightmin#206976:

imo, zac tait is a better player than the hood kid! catholic is building a nice program in knoxville! during the first of january, paul johnson,and 3 staff members from ga tech were at catholic, air force, and colorado, have had coaches there recently as well!

UTVol4Life80 writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

The scholarships carry over. If you don't have your total one season, then there are more available to offer the following year. Some coaches, not mentioning any names, might take lesser qualified players to fill out the roster, but I wouldn't expect the current staff to do any such thing. Kiffin knows the type player he wants and if they aren't there this year, he will hold the scholarships and wait until next year--see our current QB's. He isn't worried this year because he has said we are ok at QB. He is perfectly fine with waiting until next year.

UTVol4Life80 writes:

in response to IdentityTheftVictim09:

From everyone I've talked to, I am afraid we may have lost Stokes. Nothing official--just sharing my info. Alshon will not be going to Southern Cal. He just couldn't get over the distance. I see us in the lead and if his visit went as well as I've heard, I think we land him. A friend with inside knowledge on Brown says that if the decision was today, Georgia would get him. I think we need to pull out all the stops next weekend to be sure we land him. Us having last visit is absolutely HUGE with this kid...if it goes well, I think he is a VOL. He is definitely feeling the pressure to remain in-state and come to Tennessee.

NoogaVol55 writes:

Any word on Montgomery??

UTVol4Life80 writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

Any word on Montgomery??

Can't get anything rock solid on Montgomery. He is playing things pretty close to the vest. From what I've been told, we have a shot but he was really impressed with Michigan on his visit there...he will be one to keep an eye on with fingers crossed. If I can dig anything up, I will be glad to let you know Nooga...

UTVol4Life80 writes:

in response to IdentityTheftVictim09:

No problem, bro...always glad to read your posts as well--so thank you too dude. Its refreshing to come on here and actually get to read some posts with a litte substance. Time for bed now...hopefully get some more good news tomorrow!!

DrJCrown_theMagicMan writes:

in response to volsgatorbait:

Yes please go...GO AWAY!

MemphisVol writes:

how many scholarships do we have to give?

Volsforbetterorforworse writes:

Regardless of what happens, you have to tip your hat to this Kiffin staff bringing in these guys so late in the game. I could give a biased opinion and say if I was them I would come to UT, but I'm not a recruit. If the recruits won't come this year expect them more in the coming years, as every top H.S senior in the country will see a Vols team that plays with high intensity. That is why they won it all back in 1998 with R. Thompson, E. Westmoreland, and Big A. Wilson. No one wanted to get past that front 4 with those guys waiting on them. We need a defense that doesnt lay back and wait on a quarterback to pick them apart. Michigan showed us 2 years ago how to beat Tim Tebow..... you put him on his arse all game long !!!! So keep the intensity up Coach Kiffin, I am enjoying every minute of it.

gohawks1 writes:

Nice class is shaping up. Next year should be top 5.

txvolsfan writes:

Anyone hear from Savage in a while? I think the key to this class and future classes is Marlon. We need to secure him to help build the fence for future prospects in TN. This staff seems to really be working extremely hard and I can't wait to see next years class with a full year to recruit.

AllVol2008#1353998 writes:

in response to kwlightmin#206976:

Corey went to Brainerd High School, where I teach. He is a stud, and when we came damned close to beating Maryville in the playoffs a couple of years ago (they say it would have been the biggest upset in Tennessee high school history). Maryville's coach singled Corey out as one of the best he had ever seen. Corey blew up their line play after play.

The last I heard he had comitted to UCF. I would love to see him in Orange and White.

HtownVol writes:

The best thing ever would be to land J. Stikes, M. Brown, and Jeffery. I doubt it would happen but that would help our offense SO much. We would be set at WR for the next 3 years!

NoogaVol55 writes:

in response to UTVol4Life80:

Thanks Bro....I am sure they will throw the house at him (and all of our recruits) next weekends! These are exciting times!

danielstlfan#224976 writes:

I am in West Tennessee,about 90 miles north of Memphis, Why does no one talk about M.Brown around here?

basinvol writes:

has anybody heard how oku's visit at syracuse went?

Maverick1921 writes:

in response to danielstlfan#224976:

Do you mean why does no one where you are at talk about M. Brown, or why does no one on this website talk about him??? With all due respect, if you are talking about no one on this website talking about Marlon Brown, then you haven't been keeping up too much the last few months. I think everyone that posts on here would agree Brown is target #1 for UT right now. We have to get this kid. It would be a huge blow if we don't.

SemperVol writes:

in response to danielstlfan#224976:

You are clearly the new guy.

murrayvol writes:

in response to NoogaVol55:

I had not seen this. Thanks!

Maverick1921 writes:

I just watched it for about the 30th time. I'm ready for football season ha ha. All I know is Coach K and the staff better be memorizing the lyrics to Rocky Top!!! It also seems to me like no matter what happens between now and the first game next fall, Neyland will be jam packed and rockin like it hasn't in a long time.

shoalcreekvol writes:

"The Vols are a strong dark horse in this race, although I'd say Smith still ends up in the Yellowhammer state."

You mean the Peckerhead State. Let's try to get this right, KNS!

nivatne writes:

Sorry Hooker, but some of the info or Hardy is wrong. Per VolQuest, "Yes, I'm definitely considering Tennessee now," Hardy said after his weekend in Knoxville. "I saw enough up there this weekend to make me think about things.

"I'm going to take a few days to talk things over with my family this week and then hopefully we'll have a decision soon."

Sounds good to me!!!

danielstlfan#224976 writes:

I was talking about why is no one in Memphis talking about him, I know that people on here are talking about him.
I do not think he will end up in Knoxville.

Maverick1921 writes:

Ha ha, ok I gotcha... Maybe you guys should consider a move to East Tennessee... It's really nice over here... Good info all the time too.

danielstlfan#224976 writes:

No I will stay on this end of the state,we have the number 2 ranked boys bb team here in AA
I have to put up with the Memphis media, but at least I have this site to go to.

jsm67vol writes:

in response to Maverick1921:

I disagree that it would be a huge blow to TN if we don't get Brown. IMO, with the new staff UT has, no longer are the days when UT has to hold out hope for a successful recruiting class based on the signing of one player. Would I like to get Brown at UT? Absolutely! Will it be a "huge blow" if he signs elsewhere? I don't think so. UT has several solid WR prospects in this class, adding Brown can only help but the class is still a good one if he goes somewhere else. I think he should consider strongly playing on a UT team that has Eric Berry rather than against a UT team that has EB, lol!!!

jsm67vol writes:

in response to danielstlfan#224976:

If your 90 miles N of Memphis you must be in Obion or Weakley Co? I'm in Lexington. This is the place to be to get the real news on UT football unless you want to pay for volquest. To answer your question, W. TN papers do a pathetic job in general of covering UT football recruiting. Brown is the #1 prospect in the state and Kiffin wants to keep him in state. W.TN papers only carry the big stories about UT after they happen. You can usually get the story on here from posters shortly before it happens or at least as soon as it happens. Welcome to the site, you will learn to wade through the garbage to get good info. And oh yea, don't respond to idiot fans of bama and FL and they will go away.

GreerVol22 writes:

in response to volsmith:

I think Bush is committed to Texas.

you said Bush and Texas in the same comment....careful..that will get you booted under the new world Obama order.

danielstlfan#224976 writes:

in response to jsm67vol:

Dyersburg.but the bb team that I am talking about is Dyer Co High

wtvol writes:

in response to danielstlfan#224976:

Dyersburg.but the bb team that I am talking about is Dyer Co High

I'm from Dyer County also, and the local paper does a lousy job of reporting UT sports. That's why I'm on this site. The Memphis papers and TV stations are too eat-up with Ole Miss.

thebadsamaritan writes:

You also had some "unoffical" visits this past weekend.
One was Gibril (sp?) Wilson, a DB/FS/QB at Trinity Christian Academy (TCA) in Jackson, TN.

He made some Sophomore All-American lists. 5-star Quality DB/FS. Extremely fast, 7 interceptions this year, played QB out of necessity. He will be 6feet tall by senior year.

Best of all: Extremely high character kid.

thebadsamaritan writes:

Jabriel Wilson.

matrosscbc writes:

We Don't even want Darren Myles Jr...I saw him get abused against Mike Bowman at Ridgeland in the Sate playoffs....no chance to cover him...BTW...Bowman is headed to Alabama. If he is the listed as a top 5 player in GA...than the other 4 played at Ridgeland.....those rankings don't mean alot.

thebadsamaritan writes:

Found it:

They have him listed at 6'1. That's about 2" taller than he actually is.

First team defense DB. He's yours to lose UT.
As a Memphis alumnus, I'd love to have him.