Colquitt invited to NFL combine

Tennessee punter Britton Colquitt received an invitation Monday to next month's NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis.

"It’s great," Colquitt said. "Since I wasn’t invited and now I’m invited, it was just a great feeling, you know. I can’t imagine the feeling if I get drafted or picked up by a team if this feels that good. I was pumped about it."

Colquitt, whose brother Dustin punts for the Kansas City Chiefs, received a sixth to seventh round projection from the NFL after the 2007 season.

Five other UT players have been invited to the four-day scouting event, held from Feb. 19-22: Tailback Arian Foster, offensive linemen Anthony Parker and Ramon Foster, defensive tackle Demonte Bolden and defensive end Robert Ayers.

In addition to the combine, former UT players will have a chance to work out for NFL scouts in the Neyland-Thompson Sports Center during Tennessee's pro day this spring.

More details online and in Tuesday’s News Sentinel.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

uwishuwereassmartasme (Inactive) writes:

Second!

Waldorf writes:

I hear he's a shoo-in to be the fastest in the "chug a 40" drill.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

good for him,every player we get there helps us out

stinky_pinky writes:

awesome.....tap the keg

RUSTYVOLS77 writes:

It is kids like this that give college athletes such a bad reputation. Having been a college student myself, I can recall some of the more outlandish things I did. However, what this young man managed to do with his awesome opportunity was all but criminal. I hope he can get everything together, and have a good career.

RoyaltyVol writes:

Hope he shows up sober!

DancingOutlaw writes:

whoever takes him to the combine, remember to adjust his windage for straighter punts. 1 shot of Jack= 3 feet at 50 yds.

TommyJack writes:

Some of you Mopes need to lay off. The man has cleaned up and is trying to move on. If he screws up again, then break his eggs. Til then, he deserves a chance.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Thank you Dr Phil!

posivol writes:

this BUDS for you!

99gator writes:

for those who have been questioning me about the rebuilding process.

look at the five who have been invited to the combine.

talent was/is a problem at tenn right now.

that has to be as sad a group as tenn has put into an nfl draft in years.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to posivol:

this BUDS for you!

Now posivol, that wasn't very positive!

Biggie writes:

Good place for him, they don't care if you drink, do drugs or kill someone. Just as long as you can play on Sundays.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to 99gator:

for those who have been questioning me about the rebuilding process.

look at the five who have been invited to the combine.

talent was/is a problem at tenn right now.

that has to be as sad a group as tenn has put into an nfl draft in years.

As usual 99gator, your wrong again! Talent is not a problem at UT, we have great talent. The 05 class was #1 in the country, so why isn't there more players going into the NFL this year? Coaching, thats why! And we've settled that problem. So look out in 09, this UT team is talented and will be well coached and WILL compete, even againt the mighty Gators

easymoney writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I did lay off. The man did deserve a second chance, and I gave it to him, and a third. Now is the time to break his eggs. Go Vols.

99gator writes:

meant to also include that i believe kiffin is doing all he can to solve that problem.

steelers6rings writes:

in response to Biggie:

Guess UT didn't care if he drank, did drugs, or killed someone either! He lasted there his whole career because of his name, his punting ability, and a weak coach !

shipperman#280095 writes:

Good luck, Drunk

MrKnoxville writes:

in response to 99gator:

for those who have been questioning me about the rebuilding process.

look at the five who have been invited to the combine.

talent was/is a problem at tenn right now.

that has to be as sad a group as tenn has put into an nfl draft in years.

This weekend will be the first Super Bowl in I can't remember how many years that doesn't have a Tennessee Volunteer on its roster....I don't think Florida can even say that.......by the way Vol brothern does anyone know how many Vols are currently in the N.F.L. v/ how many G8tears?

shoalcreekvol writes:

99, tell us something we don't know.

On another note I would consider making fun of an alcohol problem a bad idea. Criticize him for drinking away a great opportunity and making stupid decisions, but don't make light of the problem.

I hope he finds good close friends that love him enough to keep him out of the bottle when he gets the money.

RoyaltyVol writes:

Hey, maybe he has "kicked" the habit. Pun intended!

VOLuptuous writes:

Where the heck do you people get off....I wonder how clean all of your slates are and how you would deal with the pressure cooker that is life as a student-athlete at UT. Give the kid a break, get a life, and get back to work.

99gator writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

i will just use one player as an example.

is arian foster......reggie cobb, chuck webb, james stewart, charlie garner, aaron hayden, jamal lewis, travis henry......etc, etc, etc.

they didn't fail to develop foster. he is as good as he is. he almost became the school's all time leading rusher.

fulmer may not be a genius......but, the nfl noticed several players during his tenure at various positions.

memphis_vol_fan writes:

KEGSTAND..KEGSTAND..KEGSTAND!!!!!

Seriously...I hope he does well and follows big brother Dustin's footsteps.
Good luck Britton!!

TommyJack writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

Thank you Dr Phil!

Don't ever call me PHIL.

shoalcreekvol writes:

I disagree with a lot of folks about the talent. Let me explain why:

I realize that this class came in as a highly touted class and then didn't really produce consistently through their time here. I don't separate talent from results over a long period of time.

Yes, talented people have a bad game or get in a slump, but if they really were as good a class as their ranking then they would've produced more in their four years here.

I don't buy that the coaching was so bad that these great players were robbed by them and dragged down. No doubt coaching fiascos like Fulmer and Clawson put up this year don't help, but these offensive guys had two years under Cut and the defensive teams had four years with a proven staff in tact.

When you look at the results on the field, the non-stop discipline problems and all the stupid bonehead mouth-running by these clowns the last 3 or 4 years, it's a much shorter stretch to believe the class came in overrated (on character if not on talent) than to believe that the coaching staff took NFL-caliber players and just screwed 'em up.

There's plenty of liability to go around. Just my 2 cents.

RoyaltyVol writes:

Hey, we're just having some fun. But when your in the spotlight and make a BIG mistake then its expected. Colquitt is a role model for kids, and so yes people will be hard on him for his mistake, and yes we all have messed up and of course he deserves a second chance as everyone does.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Don't ever call me PHIL.

*LOL* I don't blame you!

99gator writes:

in response to shoalcreekvol:

I disagree with a lot of folks about the talent. Let me explain why:

There's plenty of liability to go around. Just my 2 cents.

this won't help your cause.....

but, we are in complete agreement

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to 99gator:

i will just use one player as an example.

I agree with your point that the talent level this past year is maybe down, but notice how much better Foster was under Coach Cutcliff than Clawson. All those changes messed up the RB's, the QB's and the O line. It wasn't because we didn't have the talent to win!

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

Yeah sometimes you are remembered for your shortcomings rather than successes.
Take me for example: had too much to drink one night, now my friends call me "jailbird"

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to memphis_vol_fan:

Yeah sometimes you are remembered for your shortcomings rather than successes.

Is that you Britton? *L*

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

Is that you Britton? *L*

Dude, I wish.
The closest I'm gonna get to the combine is the NFL Network.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to memphis_vol_fan:

Dude, I wish.
The closest I'm gonna get to the combine is the NFL Network.

*LOL* You and me both! Britton is a great punter and has the chance to make some serious $$$ in the NFL

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to VOLinCockCuntry:

He made about 5-6 mistakes, as a college aged man, drinking and driving. One or two you might forgive, but constantly breaking the law, he should have been kicked off the team

givehim6 writes:

Good luck there Brit, but you'll never be as good as your Vol bro.

99gator writes:

in response to MrKnoxville:

to answer your question, doing the research i did.....

tennessee 38
florida 36

don't know if that includes practice squad guys, guys cut during the season, etc, etc, etc.

but, that's what i found.

foolishfool writes:

As long as he doesnt turn out to be Britton "Pacman Jones" Colquitt he will do well like the rest of his family.
Gosh, no more hearing "Colquitt booms it away". Will be weird.

Waldorf writes:

in response to foolishfool:

Gosh, no more hearing "Colquitt booms it away". Will be weird.

Imagine how KPD must feel! They may have to fire an officer or two since he won't be around!

jimr07 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

amen.

Ironcity writes:

in response to 99gator:

to answer your question, doing the research i did.....

tennessee 38
florida 36

but, that's what i found.

Someone has way to much time on their hands.

TommyJack writes:

I'm sorry he's gone. Hope there's another Colquitt in the pipeline.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I'm sorry he's gone. Hope there's another Colquitt in the pipeline.

Is there anything worse than a roiling geezer heading into the doldrums?

LOL

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I'm sorry he's gone. Hope there's another Colquitt in the pipeline.

Me too, man.
I used to sit in section BB and it was always nice to look at a Colquit punt at eye-level.

movol77 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Don't ever call me PHIL.

Agreed. You aren't worthy.

Slacker writes:

Who cares, he is a spoiled brat that has never had to work a day in his life. Kids younger than him are dying in Iraq fighting for this country, and this jack$$$ has been given everything on a silver platter and still pisses it away time and again.

magentatoes10 writes:

AS BUCKWHEAT ZYDECO SAYS: " Make a change in your life...and do it for the better...do do do do."

magentatoes10 writes:

Quit givin this guy the responsibility of a soldier in war. He kicks a football and you expect him to be YOUR leader. Give him a chance to grow up, and really at the same time thank god he didn't hurt anyone else making his mistakes.

Basketball_Jones writes:

I heard he's projected to go as a lottery pick in the "Beer Pong" Draft

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TaintBuster69:

Good post.

Something about people in glass houses....