Pearl buys T-shirts for 'white-out'

Tennessee men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl is digging into his wallet to solidify his stand against cancer. Pearl is so passionate about the OUTLIVE, Tennessee Fights to Beat Cancer program, he’s buying 3,000 OUTLIVE t-shirts for students attending the Jan. 31 Florida at Tennessee basketball game to wear during the planned “white-out.”

The “white-out” is intended to make a strong statement against cancer and about the importance of cancer prevention and early detection, in conjunction with the OUTLIVE program announced by Pearl earlier this month. Proceeds from the program further the cancer education, outreach and screening programs at The University of Tennessee Medical Center Cancer Institute.

“The students have been so supportive of the Vols this year and they’ve really shown their appreciation for the OUTLIVE program,” said Pearl. “I know all of our fans will come out strong to cheer us on and encourage a win against the Gators. I just want to make sure the students all have a chance to show their support for OUTLIVE with the t-shirts. Cancer has impacted the Vols on a personal level and that sea of white shirts will mean a lot to us and make a strong statement against cancer.”

Two cases of cancer among the team’s “family” helped inspire the OUTLIVE program. Former Tennessee star Chris Lofton announced after the 2007-2008 season that he had battled and beaten testicular cancer. The father of Vol forward Tyler Smith lost his battle with cancer last year.

To raise awareness of the importance of cancer prevention and early detection screenings, coach Pearl urges everyone going to Saturday’s nationally televised game against Florida to wear white, preferably OUTLIVE, shirts and create a “white-out” at Thompson-Boling Arena.

For fans needing their shirts in time for the game, OUTLIVE t-shirts are available at either Tennessee Traditions location (Turkey Creek or at the Stokely Athletic Center on the UT Campus). Shirts also will be sold at the game and at the UT Medical Center gift shop. Shirts will be sold online at www.UTsports.com (click on the OUTLIVE link) through Feb. 3. For more information about OUTLIVE or to make a donation to cancer education, outreach and screening programs, call the UT Medical Center Office of Development at (865) 305-6611.

The University of Tennessee Medical Center is a 581-bed, not-for-profit academic medical center, which serves as a referral center for Eastern Tennessee, Southeast Kentucky and Western North Carolina. The Medical Center, the region’s only Level I Trauma Center, is one of the largest employers in Knoxville. For more information about the University of Tennessee Medical Center, visit online at www.utmedicalcenter.org.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

MemphisVol writes:

Bruuuuuuuce!!!!!!!

RockyTopper writes:

White-out is used to correct mistakes, right? I see a double entendre coming.

volnbig11land writes:

Nice CBP, thanks!

DennisVols writes:

Classy Thing to do CBP. Lets pack the house Sat.

dvhill100 writes:

A worthy cause, and if it helps with a victory, so much the better. Nice to see someone put their money up.

BigOrangeWillie writes:

in response to vol1:

This cause > any W or L

adamsck#591720 writes:

How can you not like Bruce Pearl? That guy is amazing. Nice job coach. Way to represent.

govolsfan#214750 writes:

Totally awesome. Reminds me of when Peyton Manning bought us students pizza while we camped out in line for days to get UT vs Fl tickets back in 97.

The_the writes:

nice gesture. WDE!

b_neas writes:

in response to govolsfan#214750:

Yeah and Peyton lost!! LOL.....Tee beat them darn gators first try....hehe

allvol9 writes:

Nice statement Bruce! Go Vols!

Down_The_Field writes:

good job, coach!

we can all agree to fight and beat cancer.

oh, i forgot, and GO VOLs!

RockyTop1_old writes:

He is has the heart of a VOL!! Good job Coach! GO VOLS!! Close the deal!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I love it! Da Vols.

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to hiresanders:

You classless idiot. Why don't you read the article to see what the t-shirts say?
Oh, that's right, they didn't teach you how to read at Kentucky.

slsmithsr#269458 writes:

in response to memphis_vol_fan:

Oh, that's right, they didn't teach you how to read at Kentucky.

I second the motion on putting this guy in his place.
My mom died of cancer and I'll be dang ( I wanted to write the other word but I thought better) if making free throws is more important to me than combating this "demon" of a disease.
He'd be better off taking remedial classes.

murrayvol writes:

in response to slsmithsr#269458:

I second the motion on putting this guy in his place.
He'd be better off taking remedial classes.

We'd be better off if he were posting on another board in another state....or country.

crappieking writes:

in response to slsmithsr#269458:

I second the motion on putting this guy in his place.
He'd be better off taking remedial classes.

Great Job CBP. Sorry to hear about your Mom slsmithsr. My mother is fighting her cancer as we write. She is losing. Any support for this dreadful disease is awesome. Hire_Sanders your post is pitiful. Basketball is just a game. Great causes far out way any sporting event. I don't know your age, but you really need to put things in perspective.

Down_The_Field writes:

in response to slsmithsr#269458:

I second the motion on putting this guy in his place.
He'd be better off taking remedial classes.

AMEN! what a pathetic and cruel person it is to say that.

you'd think somethings would be sacred enough to not say such stupid things.

know how you feel....wanted to fill in the blank myself.

cgbtn writes:

Any who are interested can go to www.breastcancersite.com and click to give free mammograms. I have that site on my favorites list and go there daily, while reading sites such as this one. Takes about a second of my time and costs me nothing. May God bless Coach Perle and all others who care enough to help even a little.

TommyJack writes:

Bruce is da man. HireSanders is an a-hole.

rockytopron writes:

in response to hiresanders:

You are such a moron. The very first sentence tells us he is spending his own money and not donors. Beside being stupid you are one classless idiot.

"Tennessee men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl is digging into his wallet to solidify his stand against cancer."

lewhs93#205993 writes:

We should feel sorry for hiresanders,because this person is sick and needs help.

john#208876 writes:

Won't be able to make the game but I'll be watching from here in VA. I bought my wife a shirt on-line, she has been battling breast cancer (successfully so far) for over a year now. My grandmother died of cancer, one of my best fiend's growing up in Knoxville lost his mom to cancer... I could go on and on; point is, the disease is virtually ubiquitous, thanks to Pearl, the Vols and Vol-nation for trying to put a dent in it. Wouldn't it be awesome if the UT Medical Center contributed to a cure!

VolJunkie writes:

in response to john#208876:

John,

I lost my mother-in-law to breast cancer, it is a female dog of a disease ... here's to the survivors, best wishes to you and your family.

Go Vols!

drewgizzle writes:

I hope we get a full house! CBP,u da man!!

THE_VOL writes:

A very generous gesture by BP. This is Coaches vs. Cancer week and with the recent passing of Coach Kay Yow as well as the struggles of several other coaches fighting this disease, we can all be thankful that through the efforts of the UT Medical Center and others that our own Chris Lofton was well taken care of. Practically everybody has family or friends that have also been impacted by cancer and this is a tremendous opportunity to give back not just to a University that we all love but to your fellow citizens of the world.

If you've not purchased a t-shirt yet, PLEASE do so even if you're not going to the game. And if you can't spare the $15 just go to the site and donate whatever you can afford. Like him or not, our President raised tens of millions of dollars from people giving $5, $10, and $20. Just think what could be accomplished if EVERY Vol fan around the country donated just $5. Do it today - and let's once again show the world what the HEARTS OF VOLUNTEERS CAN TRULY ACHIEVE!!!

For those of you that feel the need to be a dumbazz or post stupid comments about this effort, I can only hope that you remember your words on the day that someone close to you tells you they have cancer - and it will happen - and then you might understand what a moron you really are with these comments.

THE_VOL writes:

in response to hiresanders:

And maybe YOU should worry more about helping Billy The Molester beat Ole Miss!!!

letshave1more writes:

in response to jaylit:

I agree with you completely! If you will notice its the same ones posting all day long. Ignore them and they will go away....
They dont have our passion and they dont have our fan base and they dont have a web site.... GO VOLS!!!

letshave1more writes:

in response to hiresanders:

MORON!!

smokeyvol1 writes:

in response to hiresanders:

The day I lost my mother to this monster I swore I would'nt even want my worse enemy dealing with it. That includes you moron. I grew up with Billy Smith and he even worked for my dad on a beer truck several years ago. So for you to come on here where it is obvious your not welcomed and make a total azz of yourself is totally unbeliveable. Please just like all cancer JUST GO AWAY!

VOLKING writes:

in response to hiresanders:

Hiresanders...may you live long...and endure tremendous pain the entire time.

VolJunkie writes:

in response to THE_VOL:

Vol,

Don't always agree with you but this post is right on.

JayTee writes:

in response to slsmithsr#269458:

I second the motion on putting this guy in his place.
He'd be better off taking remedial classes.

My brother also died of cancer. He was a career military man. Served 25 years in the Marine Corps. I do not feel the animosity toward this person as some seem to have.
Both of us served our country and defended the rights of people to have freedom of speech. Whether you agree or not they still have that right.
It is not your right to condemn another person simply becuase you disagree with what they said.

in response to THE_VOL:

You said it all. This is a cause all Vol fans--heck, everybody--should support with all their hearts.

in response to JayTee:

I think, upon reflection, most of those who object to hiresanders' remarks do so, in this particular case, on the grounds of taste. Surely most of those who object to the content of most of his posts, as I do, don't dispute his right to express his silly opinions.

From another veteran.

checkerboard10 writes:

in response to hiresanders:

1. Your an idiot for your name being what it is seeing that Sanders was an absolute MORON.
2. How could you possibly disagree with something such as a fundraiser for cancer, its a great thing that coach is doing.
3. Can you even imagine how this is going to look when the weekend recruits are at this game this weekend (Brown)

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Just so everyone knows... My comment, "I love it" had nothing to do with what hireSanders said. I hope we pack the game out tonight. Beat Cancer!!! I don't know this guy but what he said was dumb!

ChattVol2485 writes:

in response to vol1:

Good point, but I think we are doing it for a completely different reason. I could be wrong though.

You all can say what you want about CBP, but he is a classy guy. I'm glad he's a Vol.

###

TommyJack writes:

in response to JayTee:

Free speech is one thing. Having coots is another. hiresanders has no coots.

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to hiresanders:

I don't normally reply negatively to the posts of others, but this time I can't help myself.

First of all, you're an idiot. Lord forgive me for calling you that, but this promotion is to bring attention to a dreadful disease and finding a cure.

Secondly, I lost my wife to brain cancer in June, 2007. I watched her suffer, and I pray daily that someone, somewhere, will find a cure so others won't have to go through what my wife and others (and their families)are going through. Also, I have two sisters and both of them have lost breasts to breast cancer.

And lastly, you have no business questioning someone's motives when they give of their means to promote something as worthy as this cause--ESPECIALLY on a Vols site where you obviously have no business!

There, I've vented. Wish I could say I fell better, but I can't.

Anyway...

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

VOLFORLIFE writes:

Meant to say, "Wish I could say I 'feel' better..."

GO VOLS!!!
JUGHEAD

slsmithsr#269458 writes:

in response to JayTee:

Please re-read what I wrote JayTee. I think you have me confused with someone else. If not, please show me any words of condemnation that I alledgedly wrote. The poster hiresanders can freely write his opinion and I can respond freely in my own words (which I did). I thought it ridiculous for him to equate freethrow shooting with combating a lifetaking disease...others did too and expressed their displeasure with his post. I did however suggest he become better educated. Anything wrong with that? And thank you for your service to our country.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to JayTee:

I'm not sure anyone is still reading this basketballess blog site...but people actually do have a "right" to condemn others...it just isn't a good thing to do.