UT has Washington thinking

Quinton Washington’s official visit to Tennessee last weekend had him thinking.

“I really liked it,” the 6-foot-3, 315-pound offensive lineman from St. Stephen High School in Timberland, S.C. said “It seems like a place I could be for the next four years.”

That’s what UT’s coaches are hoping for, that Washington will choose the Vols over South Carolina, Michigan and Miami, where Washington will visit this weekend.

The Under Armour All-American said he hopes to announce his decision next week, less than two weeks after the Vols made a favorable impression in Knoxville.

“It was a very nice visit,” Washington said. “I’m learning new things and I met a lot of the players. I had a good time.”

Washington said he visited with UT head coach Lane Kiffin and offensive line coach James Cregg and that both visits improved UT’s chances.

“I really liked him,” Washington said of Cregg. “He seems like he has a lot of experience with players in the NFL and college so I think it would be great to play with him. He seems like he would be a good coach.”

Washington maintained there is no leader for his services and that there isn’t even a plan for how he will announce his decision, possibly a press conference on National Signing Day on Feb. 4 or maybe just an announcement through his high school coach.

“I’m still not sure how I’m going to do it,” Washington said. “I’m not sure when it’s going to hit me.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tailgate2k#204921 writes:

Bass_Vol_1998 writes:

O-line is what its all about

adamsck#591720 writes:

You really have to be impressed with Kiffin so far. He and his staff clearly are getting to talk to high-level talent and making an impression when they do. I don't think we'll sign many of these longshots this year but we are laying a great foundation for the years to come. I'm very hopeful we'll upgrade a lot of our talent as Kiffin's recruits start to arrive. Good time to be a Vol.

SemperVol writes:

We need ya, hoss.

memphis_vol_fan writes:

Come to Knoxville, Mr. Washington. Be apart of the new look Volunteers.
Man I can't wait for next Wednesday and September!!
How many days until kickoff?

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

It all starts in the trenches, we need you here big man!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to memphis_vol_fan:

Come to Knoxville, Mr. Washington. Be apart of the new look Volunteers.
Man I can't wait for next Wednesday and September!!
How many days until kickoff?

TommayJack is the official countdown keeper, prodded on by GerryOp.

He'll reply shortly.

GREATVOLSAFIRE writes:

Scouts have us at 13 up from 21. Moving on up, on the east side, we finally got a piece of the pie!

RockyTop1_old writes:

Can't wait to see him in TENNESSEE Orange! GO VOLS!!

Volunatic writes:

in response to GREATVOLSAFIRE:

Pretty cool. I don't put a whole lot of stock in those rankings, but any positive news is good after last season. Hey, look who's behind UT at #14!
I hope the new Vol staff can COACH!

Louisvol8859 writes:

This would be a great steal from spurrier. I would trade Washington for Giles any day.

cbbcvol writes:

Scout now has Sam Montgomery listed as visiting as well on the 30th

byobbio writes:

in response to GREATVOLSAFIRE:

Why must you bring the Jeffersons into this discussion. Can we not have a football discussion without bringing up the owner of a cleaners? I mean, they didn't even have a house. They did have a butler. But, man, that Bentley guy was kind of weird, don't you think? But they did have four bathrooms. I cannot imagine what it would be like if I had four bathrooms. That'd be a lot. I think.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to Volunatic:

I hope the new Vol staff can COACH!

Nice. The only thing that stands out on the chart is UT's lack of 5-stars. I expect that to change soon, though.

ColeTrickle writes:

sounds like Kiffin and Orgeron are on the war path to me. Meyer and Saban have serious reasons to worry. Wow holy shiat, they have only been in place in the eleventh our and look at what they have accomplished already! With UT's top recruiting budget/top recuiters in the country, just give our guys a full year. Expect UT in the top 5 next year, and No. #1 for the 2011 class. book it.

Anybody reading or read the book-Meat Market???

murrayvol writes:

in response to byobbio:

Four is probably not too many for the wildly incontinent among us.

ColeTrickle writes:

in response to Volunatic:

I hope the new Vol staff can COACH!

That great! Also take into consideration that several of these 3 stars we have will be contributors for sure. We need a couple 5 stars to break the top 10. We need a couple o-line studs bad.

My .02, I think we will have a nasty d-line next year when Ed Orgeron gets a full year to get the guys he wants and coaches these guys up. "foo-baw baby, Tenn-uh-seeeeeee foo-baw!"

TommyJack writes:

Hey kids, only 221 days til W.KY.

NoMoreWooAfterGoodOleRockyTop writes:

in response to byobbio:

Exactly, instead let's talk about how great it is to have W and CFP gone FOREVER!

krb90#212730 writes:

in response to byobbio:

I though florence was the maid....no butler. Bentley was another tenant in the building. And yeah, he was weird.

Just to keep the story straight.....

letshave1more writes:

This link has been up for an hour and no stupid comments from the lizzards or cheaters. Kind of nice.....

StroVol writes:

in response to byobbio:

byobbio, whatever that hell that means. Don't be that "guy"

kwlightmin#206976 writes:

Scouts still has DJ Hunter as a commit to us. We pulled his offer after the BB gun incident. We'd be a little lower if they were accurate. Nyshier Oliver should commit in a few days though. That will help. Here's my bad news predictions based on nothing but my gut feeling - neither Brown or Stokes will be Vols. We'll only have Rogers and Green at WR in this class. We may get Alshon Jeffrey though - that would be awesome. I still say that if we are ranked 15th in the recruiting class, we should celebrate. Got started too late this year. We'll definitely be in a bowl game this year though. Oh yeah, Crompton will be the QB. He will have a great year in Kiffin's system.

StroVol writes:

in response to kwlightmin#206976:

You don't think the game is a little too fast for crompton? I do remember him slinging a touchdown when Ainge went down for a few games.

memphis_vol_fan writes:

in response to letshave1more:

Dont't jinx it!!!!

volroadwarrior writes:

We meed the BIG MEAN uglies to run Kiffin's physical style of play. We need several to rotate in and out to stay fresh and wear down opponents. Cmon BIG GUY and get some early PT and NFL coaching.

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to Volunatic:

I hope the new Vol staff can COACH!

Less surprised that we're ahead of UF since they have fewer commits, but very surprised we're only two spots behind the man who invented recruiting to go along with his school's 64 national championships (you've heard about their championships, right?) and STUNNED that Mullen has Miss State at #20. Holy cow, that man may actually accomplish something there. More cowbell!

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to byobbio:

1) Take some ADD medicine man. Medicine is your friend.

2) They didn't just own a cleaners, they owned a dry cleaning empire with seven locations, one near you.

3) You sound like someone who didn't go to the George Jefferson Museum while it lasted. You missed out on the hands-on Mustard Stain Removal exhibit. Your loss.

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to letshave1more:

HA!

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to ColeTrickle:

Momma sats gaytas is orn'ry cause a they medoola oblongata. Yaw yaw yaw yaw beat bammer.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to shoalcreekvol:

I am stunned that every SEC school except Vandy and Kentucky are in the Top 25! Just goes to show you how good the talent is and how hard it is to go undefeated through a season playing in this conference.

Volunatic writes:

in response to shoalcreekvol:

"the man who invented recruiting to go along with his school's 64 national championships"-- man, you slay me, ShoalCreekVol.
Adair ain't just a hat rack on top o' yer neck. Good stuff.

dma38256#264746 writes:

Who needs "O Brother Where Art Thou" when we've got this board?

dubcfan writes:

in response to StroVol:

I totally agree, Cromptons a good quarterback, We had a horrible system last year and the play calling was even worse. They almost got him killed out there. In a back-up role under Cutliff he was pretty descent. He has the potential to be really good. He just needs coached up.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

we have to go with what we got. I wish crompton had the fire that stephens has. haven't see enough of coleman to decide who is best at qb for next yr. I think Marlon Brown and a couple other 4* can make any of the three look much better than last yr.

givehim6 writes:

Lot better class then if fulmores,really like our lines being built up.

kwlightmin#206976 writes:

in response to StroVol:

Nope, I think his problems stemmed from Clawson. Everybody was excited about the fact that he was going to be our starter after Ainge. We saw the real Crompton under Cutliffe in relief of Ainge (when he was hurt). That Clawson offense was so different from anything he'd ever played in (highschool, Sanders, or Cutcliffe). It's pretty difficult to be successful when you get killed on every play. That was the Clawson offense also (even the linemen were confused). I think we're going to see a totally different guy this year. He'll be confident and prepared and protected. Wait and see. We'll see why he was compared to Shuler (the college Shuler, not the pro).

volhammer#634294 writes:

Please come to Tennessee Quinton Washington. you will be glad you did. So will we !!

micbrooks#212023 writes:

N. Saban is probably the single most effective human at recruiting in the country. But, he is a micromanager and ultimately he cannot compete with a TEAM approach..That team is now in Knoxville and that is why he is scared and telling recruits "don't visit Knoxville..I won't like it"...Don't you just love it..I think Kiffin's hire will turn out to be the BEST

smashmouth98 writes:

saban is a jerk!!!

micbrooks#212023 writes:

Read Meat Market...This is more than a book about Orgeron..It emphasises the importance of getting the talent level up in any program and why Orgeron is so effective at doing it. I really think his alcoholism is behind him...I think he left that all at Miami..Now addicted to caffeine only..If any team can compete with Saban in recruitiing, it is the one in K-town..I thought the comments by J Sneed about Meyer's lying to him were revealing. If you haven't noticed Meyer is getting cocky and does not like hearing "no" for an answer

VOLFORLIFE writes:

in response to byobbio:

Yeah, but you can only poop in one at a time.

bobbytodd writes:

I have 3 bathrooms its nice. My old lady stopped one up last night....just went to another one. No need to fix it. Just let it simmer for a while and let it take care of itself. lol

StroVol writes:

in response to kwlightmin#206976:

I will agree with the offense. Fulmer should have let that system come piece by piece. I've never seen a more inept effort on that side of the field, given our defense was kicking arse. But why not run when the heat came. Wasn't that what we needed from him, a little Tmartin action. No one open, I'll run. Dual threat?

txsvol#372416 writes:

Vol fans with character and morals, I need your help in a letter-writing, phone calling campaign. I have for the past two days sent an e-mail to the webmaster, who has not seen fit to remove the leering, salacious comment of 'gutlessvols' that pastorlee#322395 responded to (and was deleted) at 12:10 am on January 25.

Contact people: Mr. Steve Ahillin, Executive Sports Editor (presumably John Adams' boss) at 865-342-6259. or at e-mail link on knoxnews.com.

Mr. Richard A. Boehne, President and CEO, E. W. Scripps Co., 312 Walnut Street, 2800 Scripps Center, Cincinnati, OH 45202 Ph 513-977-3000 Fax: 513-977-37211

Please write or call with an objection to the webmaster's choice to allow anonymous posters to continue to make inappropriate comments about the wife of our new football coach. She is somebody's wife, daughter, sister, and mother. She is not a public figure, and the KNS should not allow such comments to continue. Such posters should be permanently banned from the site, and that computer identified, so that further postings under new 'aliases' will also be deleted.

(I won't get to write Mr. Boehne until tomorrow, but I'll guarantee that I'll make the effort to have this site cleaned up!) Please copy the numbers and addresses so that you can contact these people in the future. If somebody can find the name of the KNS Editor (the Sports Editor is a worthless contact--go over him, please print it so that we can find it and copy it as well.) Thank you,

SAVol

VolGraduate writes:

in response to byobbio:

Good stuff. Your ranking just went up two stars on rivals.

VolGraduate writes:

Is this guy related to "The Future"?

FatherVol writes:

in response to byobbio:

Bentley wasn't the Jesfferson's butler. He lived upstairs. They had that ditzy housekeeper, but I can't recall the character's name.

Go, CLK! Pretend it's a Bass fishing tournament and reel the really big ones in at the last minute to claim teh prize.

yeavols#228407 writes:

Does this mean that his decision between Michigan, Miami, and Tennessee is garbage since he really wasn't being recruited by Florida anyway? And, since he's a 3 star, and that he wouldn't have really worked out for FLorida anyway since he is choosing any of those 3 schools?.Stay tuned..gatorzz has some insight on that one..

pdhuff#552644 writes: