Strange: Not a stunner anymore: UT at a loss at home

The gates are down. The walls have been breached. They're storming the castle.

Thompson-Boling Arena is no longer the impregnable fortress of Tennessee basketball.

LSU skipped off the floor with a 79-73 win Wednesday night. By this point, it wasn't exactly a stunner.

When we rang in 2009, the Vols were riding a 37-game home winning streak that stretched over 2 1/2 seasons. Juniors Wayne Chism and Josh Tabb had never lost at home.

A poet once said April is the cruelest month. Bruce Pearl might beg to differ.

Tennessee's January is in a tailspin. LSU was the fourth loss in the past five home games.

It started with Gonzaga in overtime, then Kentucky in a Jodie Meeks-inspired romp.

Memphis was another close one that got away. Now, LSU.

How far back do you have to go in UT hoops history to find that kind of Homeland Insecurity?

Sound like Buzz Ball?

Go back even farther.

A mystifying late-season Jerry Green era fade?

Farther still.

Try 1994-95. Kevin O'Neill's first season.

The Vols were starting over at ground zero after the 5-22 season that showed Wade Houston to the door. Between Jan. 22 and Feb. 18 that winter, Tennessee lost five in a row at home, to Florida, Alabama, LSU, Kentucky and Mississippi State.

It didn't seem terribly out of the ordinary then. It does now.

From the time Pearl coached his first game in November 2005, Thompson-Boling became unfriendly to visitors.

For the past couple of years, you just didn't come in the Vols' house and leave with a win.

Not even the Florida Gators, on their way to winning back-to-back national championships.

Not if you were a household name, like Texas or Memphis.

Now, well, they're storming the castle.

"You look at the records, you look at the programs coming in,'' said Pearl.

"Gonzaga, Kentucky, Memphis. LSU's only lost four games. It's a good team.''

Wednesday night it was the better team.

In the first half, LSU thoroughly outplayed - and outhustled - the Vols. Tennessee was fortunate to be down only 43-38 at the break after watching the Tigers shoot 57 percent and win the boards 19-9.

The Vols gave a better account in the final 20 minutes. But they didn't shut the gate.

"We've got to battle,'' said Chism. "Everybody's out for our heads.''

Speaking of heads, Pearl said Tennessee's inexperience is showing in late-game crunch-time situations.

In particular, Tennessee's inability to execute and convert a clutch basket against a tight half-court defense is showing.

Tyler Smith had his worst game Wednesday night. Emmanuel Negedu had his best. Unfortunately for UT, that wasn't an even swap.

Smith accounted for five of Tennessee's 12 turnovers. Three were bunched in LSU's 13-2 run that established a 59-45 lead with 14:26 to play.

Negedu, the freshman from Nigeria, was instrumental in UT's rally, finishing with 11 points in only 15 minutes.

"That was great to see from a freshman,'' said Pearl.

Perhaps Negedu's supermodel pal, Sports Illustrated cover girl Marissa Miller, can find her way from California for a few more games.

Alas, it's not a practical solution to what ails the Vols.

Once the Vols nudged in front 69-67, Smith had two more turnovers.

The most damaging came with 36 seconds to play with LSU leading 76-73. Smith drove the baseline from the right wing but stepped on the out-of-bounds line under the basket while looking to make a pass.

Next possession, with UT down by four, freshman Scotty Hopson threw a pass to the nearest LSU defender.

That was the official signal for the mass exodus.

"I know it makes our crowd upset that we're losing here at home,'' said Chism.

"Our crowd's just got to stay with us and believe we can pull stuff out here at home.''

They'll find out soon enough. Florida is due Saturday night.

"Another good team coming in,'' said Pearl.

Another good team coming in and knowing a win is no longer a lost cause.

Mike Strange may be reached at 865-342-6276 or strangem@knoxnews.com.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2009, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

wildberry14 writes:

still though... if we can get marisa miller to come to more home games, they wont be complete losses

cdonsbach writes:

Go Vols!

12packvolfan writes:

WE WILL STICK WITH U WANYE BABY

798orange writes:

Question,
We have only one commit for next year and at 6-9 I dont suppose he is a guard. Are we going to stay pat with Maze and hope Daniel West can contribute also or are we going to try to land a shooter and/or a quick defender who can press?
Besides needing help on the outside we need to play smarter. It would be nice to have the personnel to be able to play the way Pearl wants to again. The teams of the previous 3 years have gotten us a little spoiled.

MrBamSeydu writes:

Wow, I think Bruce Pearl has an excuse for everything.

I bet he somehow tried to spin this one too:

"I know you're my wife, but this blonde is really smokin!"

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

The telling tale about Pearl will be how good this recruiting class is and so far it's not looking spectacular..I went to the old spice classic and Tyler was great and we only lost because of bad FG%..Tyler is a mid range jump shooter and last year was deadly. All those insane drives to the basket for a sure 2 now have become out of control bricks..This whole team should be back next year cause hopefully they have the sense to see they won't make anybodys roster much less get drafted!!! Chris and Smith are good examples of that..If they bench Hopson who replaces him??? Cause he sure needs to sit till he learns to shot better and stop the crucial turnovers..

Volnbama writes:

we suck..plain n simple

utvolz#637682 writes:

in response to AreyouKiffinme:

Student section half full? You're being very generous. Hell, it looked like the pep band out numbered the student section! A sad performance tonight and I came from Manchester to watch their very poor performance. Hopefully the Ladies fare better tomorrow vs. Ole' Sis. I'll be at that game as well....

VOLlivin_inbama writes:

in response to AreyouKiffinme:

You sound like a very DISTURBED human being!! Did you forget to take your meds!

ElvisKin writes:

Well sports fans , is it time to replace the coach? This time two months ago, he was the best thing since peanut butter. Oh well peanut butter is bad now too.

scvol12 writes:

This is it for me. I drive to the games from Cleveland TN and usually get home about midnight. Unfortunately, it is no longer worth the effort. I will use the rest of my season tickets as book marks. I am not down on Pearl but it is just not worth my effort to see the team's lack of effort in person.

rimmervol3#268525 writes:

Maybe we can enjoy some NIT home games, reminds me of buzz ball.

dirtywhiteboy writes:

the crowd really stunk it up last night too. never seemed to be in the game at all. almost like they expect this team to lose.

suPEARLman writes:

UT crowds always blow. I see more emotion out of a funeral than I do at TBA. The home court advantage for UT is obsolete.

b_neas writes:

in response to AreyouKiffinme:

Program falling? Are you f---- kidding me. What program. Two or three years of making the tourney and winning a weak SEC east is not a program yet. I am a huge vol fan but we are not yet a program. Try doing what UT has done the last few years for around 5 to 6 years then we can start talking program. Oh and wanna throw Pearl under the bus? If we have a program as you, who got it to the level it is now?? get a friggin clue!

Moaninglikeheck writes:

Seriously, is there a son/father coaching tandem available in the NBA? Preferably one where the son is unemployed due to a poor NBA record. What is Pearl's buyout? Hammy, make it so.

RockyTopper writes:

As a former student (2002-2008), I've seen a lot of UT sports in the last 7 or so years. I was an active member of the POTS, and in my 4 years in the band, I missed 1 football game: @ LSU because of Katrina, and LSU and Arkansas are the only 2 SEC stadiums I haven't seen a Tennessee football game in. That being said, I've seen some hostile crowds. Tennessee's crowd (or homefield advantage) is probably ranked 6th or 7th in the SEC. I know that's football, but it carries over to other sports.

I've thought it for years, but I was solidly convinced in 2004 once I saw Texas A&M's crowd in the Cotton Bowl. Sure, we destroyed them on the field from the get go, but their fans were coordinated and loud the ENTIRE game. They didn't leave in the 3rd quarter when we were up by 28. And the biggest thing I noticed, was that EVERY play our offense was on the field, they were all standing and screaming, not sitting and waiting for something to happen. Maybe they were drunk, but whatever it takes.

I think our home football record over the last 10 years shows the degrade in our "homefield advantage," and we as fans have a responsibility to take that personally. No team should feel welcome in our venues, no matter how good or bad we are performing. The fans (especially in TBA) need to be a source of strength for our players, not a burden. I know we're terrible this year, we are and we all see it, but our players need us beside them in battle, not against them.

With that, the "student section" of seats off to the left of the standing section behind the net needs to GO AWAY. I hate that phooey. We need all 2800 crammed down around the basket...it should be uncomfortable to look at.

Biggie writes:

Have faith. Losing Ramar and Duke really hurt is this year but CBP did the right thing. All these guys need is some more game experience. They are good players and will only get better

GatorintheKnox writes:

How many free throws has Scotty (One and Done) Hopson air balled this year? Pathetic.

RockyTopper writes:

it turned c.r.a.p into "phooey." Weak.

mattlock writes:

in response to AreyouKiffinme:

Finally you've admitted you're a homeless loser, now we can all move on. . .

TommyJack writes:

Many of you jamokes are pitiful. This is a rebuilding year. Anyone with a functioning frontal lobe knew it. Bruce couldn't say it. Wise up. We have an excellent coach. He needs a couple more players.
You mopes want to poison the well. Lay off BP. Better days ahead.

798orange writes:

in response to AreyouKiffinme:

Another typical childish comment. Since you have this negative tone most of the time and are so down on all UT athletics why did you show up at the game? Go away bad dream.

KENVOL writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

The only 3 point shooter we have is Chism so let him move out and take Hopsons place and let the E-Man take Chisms'
place.

MrWilson writes:

I know the problem with Bruce Pearl and this team.

#1 - Bruce Pearl has spent too much time shopping for furniture and talking about how nice it is to be rich.

#2 - He has not spent enough on the gym floor coaching and creating a real half court offense (see above)

#3 - He can not win with his own players he recruited as he is a poor judge of talent. All his winning was done with someone elses players.

#4 - Mike Hamilton has done to the basketball program what he did to the football program under Fulmer. Give all the money to the head coach and have no money left over for quality assistant coaches.

TommyJack writes:

in response to MrWilson:

I know the problem with Bruce Pearl and this team.

What a silly post. Sorry for all the effort you put into it.

sayhitomaggie writes:

in response to RockyTopper:

Oh but don't you know? Those seats are for the delicate dance team and prestigous visitors! Haha.

I agree though. We are by no means hostile enough in TBA. We were in the last 15 minutes of the game but that's how it should have been the ENTIRE time. And the hoop opposite of the student section does not need a nudging from Chism to stand up and make some noise. Granted fans cheers aren't everything in a game but when the games are close (like this one) it can make a difference.

But sitting in the student section during the first half of the game, only proves (as much as people want to think it) we aren't a basketball school. At least not with that energy level.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

You mopes want to poison the well. Lay off BP. Better days ahead.

Yep and he didn't even have to study film before commenting.

Vol_Jokes writes:

5 - 22........really? What a disgrace they should have just killed the program that year. Shot it and got it out of it's misery. If they had of you wouldn't be having to endure this season. My my my how much you all talked after the memphis game last year. That's been almost a year and what have you done since then? Nothing.....for a year. You played bad at the end of last season and you are still playing bad. Bruce gets that nice fat paycheck for what? Believe he won with your previous coaches players. These are what he recruited. A team is slumping a good coach knows how to get em back. Pearl is clueless you can see it in him face. Then again what has he ever accomplished at a big time univ.....ah..nothing. Well he did try to bring one down ..illinois. This is when he should be earning his money fixing what's broke but instead he talks about how good the other teams are and how the refs cheated him. He's the man. Coach Cal, he can't coach remember. Just relax come march and watch memphis and the coach that can't coach in the tournament making another run while the vols try their luck at the nit. I sure wish we had pearl but guess we'll just have to settle for success and Cal. P.S. I hope the massacre is not so bad sat. Maybe Brucie can give Cal a call so that Cal can tell him what to do.

in response to 5_and_15:

The same lame post on at least three different articles? Do you have OCD? Or is it Arnsparger's/autism? (With apologies to true sufferers from those maladies.)

Vol_Jokes writes:

in response to rcr12:

If you talk like you post, you must pass out several times a day(;-P)! The one or two valid points you made got lost in the ramble.

in response to RockyTopper:

I agree with your basic point. In the case of TBA, it is just going to be that way as long as the big-donor blue-hairs have one whole side of the arena to sleep in, which is to say, until they die. That was one aspect of the devil's bargain that we made to get TBA built in the first place.

Basketball_Jones writes:

The big thing that worries me about this whole situation is these are Pearls guys. Last year he had some holdovers from the Buzz era, now he has the players he wanted and they're not panning out.

How about Marissa Miller rolling into K-town to see the Vols!!! I woulda asked her to come Saturday and introduced her all the recruits coming in.

Someone mentioned Bobby Maze, this kid is the only perimeter player who looks like he knows how to shoot. I mean its not his fault guys can't knock down shots. I think Hopson has been a really big disappoinment, he has no confidence and has yet to look like a Mickey D's AA.

TrouserCough writes:

Scotty Hopson hits the backboard first on two foul shots and then airballs the next one. Unbelievable! Guy has lived in a gym for the last 10 years and that is the result? I wish he was one and done. One year at UT and gone...anywhere.

bmaples writes:

in response to TommyJack:

You mopes want to poison the well. Lay off BP. Better days ahead.

Absolutely agree. Bruce Pearl has delivered the goods the past few years, and I for one am not ready to throw him even off the bus, much less under it.

Coaches coach and players play. CBP may be saying and doing all the right things, but he doesn't dribble, pass, or shoot.

Let's wait and see how it turns out, and how next year turns out as well.

And one other thing -- unexpected player losses can play havoc with the best-laid plans. Sometimes they have to happen, though.

Still a Bruce Pearl supporter ...

Bruce in Louisville

TommyJack writes:

in response to bmaples:

Let's wait and see how it turns out, and how next year turns out as well.

Still a Bruce Pearl supporter ...

Bruce in Louisville

Exactly. Let's not go back to no national recognition from CBS, ESPN, etc. Long gone are the days of O'Neil, Buzz, etc.....Lay of BP's azz. No one (not even Noone) has done more for TN BB than CBP. This is just a bump in the road.

jimvols13 writes:

in response to RockyTopper:

The fact that TN wins any games on the road in hostile environments (i.e. FL in '01 and Georgia in '06 and others I can't think of off the top of my head) shows that homefield advantage stems from the team to the fans. The crowd feeds off the team's success. Thus the fact TN doesn't win every homegame isn't the fault of the fans. However, that being said, I still agree with your main points. Tennessee fans in general are too complacent. Even though visiting teams may win nonetheless we as fans still ought to make it as difficult as possible (i.e. Fl in 98 not being able to get play calls in from the sideline). Entirely too many Tennessee fans just sit on their hands during the games, and those fans are usually the ones with the seats closest to the field/court (big donor blue hairs). The blue collar fans and the students alike who shotgun beers before the games and actually make some noise are stuck in the corners or the upper decks. I could go on but my main point is just that TN ought to take a hint from Texas A&M (like you mentioned) and express some true devotion and passion for the players. We are not entitled to win every game, leaving halfway though the third is not going to push our guys to player harder in the forth (or impress any recruits). Anyway, blah blah etc. etc. Be louder people support our team. Oh and for those who criticize the student section I agree with you only in part. Yes it was pathetic the number of us that showed up but that small number still consistently made more noise thoughout the game then the rest of the crowd until the last 10 minutes. Also it is the 18,000 of us standing throughout entire football games which constitute the majority of the crowd noise during games. With 102,000 we should be better, anyway I'm rambling now and becoming incoherent. All the best. Go Vols.

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Red Bull! nom nom nom

shoalcreekvol writes:

in response to TrouserCough:

Makes me think the poor kid needs to visit the eye doctor. Vision problems affect depth perception, which would explain the inability to judge distance to the rim. That airball was honestly the most embarassing thing I've seen a player do on the court since Chris Webber called that mystery timeout.

in response to rcr12:

OK, that mostly makes sense. I wonder if his knee isn't still bothering him. He hasn't seemed to have the explosiveness he had earlier in the season. That could well affect his defense as well. I think he is giving it all he has, and the younger players could well emulate him even MORE. JMHO.

CoachFulmer writes:

Tyler Smith needs to realize that there is four other players on the court with the same jersey he has on. PASS THE BALL! Chism can't score on every posession, so someone is gonna have to step up in clutch situations. Go Vols!

in response to shoalcreekvol:

Might be something to that! That could also be a reason why he doesn't pass or catch the ball well, either. The other players and the ball seem to be just a blur to him.

in response to CoachFulmer:

Last I saw, Tyler was leading the team in assists. Maybe he should pass more in some situations, but it surely hurts that the other players can't make shots when he DOES pass it to them.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to 798orange:

Question,

If this is not the personnel to play the way Pearl wants,why did he recruit this mess?Good coaches recruit for needs.Pearl either recruited wrong or he was badly missled when evaluating them.They may however break out and play the way intended but this year they are not looking like that is not going to happen.Pearl is a GOD,book it.In Pearl, I still trust.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

I'm thinking Fla beats us by 12-15 pts. How can a guard (Hopson) have 80% foul shooting avg. and still throw up airballs (he needs to come out in the crucial parts of the game. I hope coach P can convince Tyler and Wayne that they are not ready for the prime time again this year!!

Smallmike4pres writes:

in response to AreyouKiffinme:

You sir are the absolute biggest MORON to ever post. You & any other idiot that thinks that Pearl has not done a good job here should go back to watching hockey or soccer. This program was worthless before he got here & each of you should go and kiss his white A%$ for the job he has done.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Vol_Jokes:

You talk about how bad the Vols are,yet you luckely got by that team.A team by the way that out played you in every stat except the 2 points more you scored.I know that is the most important stat of all.A win is a win but if you are only two points better than us on the score board and out played in all the other phases of the game sort of tells me one thing.You stink also.When your team wins, I suggest you do so with grace.When you lose, I suggest you do so the same way.That goes for all our Vol fans as well.

VOLKING writes: